PDA

View Full Version : Pegula

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I posed this question in the thread about Pegula selling assets for 1.75 billion, but thought it would get more attention in its own thread.

I live in Nevada and am a NY Rangers fan, I route for the sabers to be good because I want Buffalo to get a championship and if the rangers cannot do it then I want the sabers to do it.

That being said we all know Pegula will keep the team in Buffalo so win right there.

How involved is he with the sabers, is he a Jerry Jones where he tells them what to do or is he more of a Rooney guy and lets the GM he hires run the football team and then hold that guy accountable for wins/losses/draft hits misses.

Also what do saber fans think of Pegula as an owner. From what I have seen in the past people liked him at first because he was willing to spend money, although that does not seem to have helped them. Please understand I do not know the intricate details of the sabers and am not insulting anyone, I am asking because I am trying to gauge the guy.

What I dont want is Golisano buying the team and being a cheap arse and then selling the team in 15 years for a huge profit.

I think Pegula will keep the team and probably pass down to his kids if he has any.

coastal
08-06-2014, 11:26 AM
He hung Pat Lafontaine out to dry and hires cronies to spy for him.

Yasgur's Farm
08-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Sabres

THATHURMANATOR
08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
He appears to sit back and let managment do there thing.

I do agree the Lafontaine thing was weird though.

Either way of course my only prefered option to buy the Bills.

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Sabres

My bad, sorry for that I did not catch that.

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 11:34 AM
He appears to sit back and let managment do there thing.

I do agree the Lafontaine thing was weird though.

Either way of course my only prefered option to buy the Bills.

Can I get a cliff notes on the Lafontaine deal and what Laftontaine did for teh sabres, sorry.

Literally no sabres or really hockey news at here unless San Jose Sharks

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Or maybe LaFontaine did not get his way and threw a temper tantrum.

Nobody seems to know what happened.

Pegula has good intentions. I don't think spending money will be an issue for him, although spending NFL money is different than NHL money. He can be a bit of a fanboy and too devoted to emplyees.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Pegula has good intentions. I don't think spending money will be an issue for him, although spending NFL money is different than NHL money. He can be a bit of a fanboy and too devoted to emplyees.

Not being familiar with Sabres hockey or the Pat Lafontaine affair, did he leave the existing front office in place there?

Is there any evidence that he would can the the biggest front office fixtures on the Bills?

He clearly has enough money to pay for a decent head coach and GM.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 11:56 AM
When Pegula took over, he left GM Darcy Regier in place. Regier was trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Miller, and the prevailing thought was that Regier knew what he was doing but was held back by Golisano's cheapness.

So, Pegula believed the hype. He opened the checkbook and let Darcy go to town. The results were dismal. He overpaid for Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. The team sucked and now Darcy's gone along with coach Lindy Ruff and every single player I just mentioned. They were the worst team in the NHL last year and are rebuilding from scratch.

My biggest fear with Pegula as Bills owner is that he didn't learn and makes the same mistake by leaving Brandon and his lackeys in charge. Brandon only knows how to do things one way: Ralph's way. And we've seen the kind of results that gets.

If Pegula takes over, I want a scorched earth policy. Russ and every single one of his lackeys need to be gone.

Yasgur's Farm
08-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Sorry fox... Had to do it.
My bad, sorry for that I did not catch that.

trapezeus
08-06-2014, 12:07 PM
When Pegula took over, he left GM Darcy Regier in place. Regier was trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Miller, and the prevailing thought was that Regier knew what he was doing but was held back by Golisano's cheapness.

So, Pegula believed the hype. He opened the checkbook and let Darcy go to town. The results were dismal. He overpaid for Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. The team sucked and now Darcy's gone along with coach Lindy Ruff and every single player I just mentioned. They were the worst team in the NHL last year and are rebuilding from scratch.

My biggest fear with Pegula as Bills owner is that he didn't learn and makes the same mistake by leaving Brandon and his lackeys in charge. Brandon only knows how to do things one way: Ralph's way. And we've seen the kind of results that gets.

If Pegula takes over, I want a scorched earth policy. Russ and every single one of his lackeys need to be gone.

agreed, but i wouldn't be upset if littman stayed. he seems to be a cap genius and every team should have someone who really gets it.

Ginger Vitis
08-06-2014, 12:13 PM
agreed, but i wouldn't be upset if littman stayed. he seems to be a cap genius and every team should have someone who really gets it.

It has been said Polian and Littman had troubles seeing eye to eye at the end of polians tenure in Buffalo.. Littman I think is easily disposable and thought Jim Overdorf was the cap guy and he is easily disposableas well

Fletch
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Well, but here's the thing, he's got over a decade of history of Brandon and Wilson's other cronies leading us to record-setting performance futility. He would have no reason to buy into Brandon's, Whaley's, Littman's, Overdorf's, or Majeski's bullsiht. They've only proven themselves losers in administrating in such a way as to create a winning team.

During Regier's time as GM he had 12 winning seasons, been to the playoffs 8 or 9 times and even went to the Stanleys once.

Since and including the 2000 season the Bills have had only one winning season and haven't been to the playoffs at all.

I don't see how he can possibly be blind to the fact that it's been the aforementioned people that are the problem. Plus, he's a fan and hopefully realizes this.

Skooby
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Slash & burn doesn't work in the NFL until you get a new GM, so you're basically saying you want Whaley's head on a silver platter ?

Fletch
08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
It has been said Polian and Littman had troubles seeing eye to eye at the end of polians tenure in Buffalo.. Littman I think is easily disposable and thought Jim Overdorf was the cap guy and he is easily disposableas well

Cap Guys are a dime a dozen. Don't we have one or two here?

Fletch
08-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Slash & burn doesn't work in the NFL until you get a new GM, so you're basically saying you want Whaley's head on a silver platter ?

Wouldn't you if Manuel doesn't work out this season?

I'll say it again.

Whaley gambled on Manuel last year.

In order to recoup his gambling losses this year he doubled down on trying recover that bad gamble by taking an even bigger one.

At the end of this season, if it hasn't paid off, this team will be worse off than ever with no 1st-round pick next year. If it happens to be a 1st or 2nd and if Winston comes out, it will have been disastrous.

If this team finishes a single game behind 7-9 then yes, Whaley should be sent packing. His resume was thin and weak to begin with.

Skooby
08-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't you if Manuel doesn't work out this season?

I'll say it again.

Whaley gambled on Manuel last year.

In order to recoup his gambling losses this year he doubled down on trying recover that bad gamble by taking an even bigger one.

At the end of this season, if it hasn't paid off, this team will be worse off than ever with no 1st-round pick next year. If it happens to be a 1st or 2nd and if Winston comes out, it will have been disastrous.

If this team finishes a single game behind 7-9 then yes, Whaley should be sent packing. His resume was thin and weak to begin with.

What if the defense is in the top 3 in the league and we finish 6-10 ? You going to torch the GM for a bad QB call (which hasn't happened yet) ?

Fletch
08-06-2014, 12:29 PM

By the way, neither does leaving incompetent and negligent ignoramuses in the front office. That's even less likely to produce anything good.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 12:30 PM
What if the defense is in the top 3 in the league and we finish 6-10 ? You going to torch the GM for a bad QB call (which hasn't happened yet) ?

Are you saying that's going to happen or even likely to happen?

Let's talk brass tacks here and not just whimsical hypotheticals. IMO the odds of that happening are remote. You're going to see a significant regression in the defense this season, I promise you that.

Skooby
08-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Are you saying that's going to happen or even likely to happen?

Let's talk brass tacks here and not just whimsical hypotheticals. IMO the odds of that happening are remote. You're going to see a significant regression in the defense this season, I promise you that.

You're crazier than I thought, if we stay healthy. I think that our opposing offenses will be lucky to score more than 18 points on average, that means our offense to score.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 01:04 PM

No, unless this year is an epic disaster I'd give Marrone and Whaley one more year. It takes 3 years to rebuild properly.

I just don't see how any GM or coach can win under Brandon and crew.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
You're crazier than I thought, if we stay healthy. I think that our opposing offenses will be lucky to score more than 18 points on average, that means our offense to score.

I guess we'll see who's crazier here shortly, you or me.

By the way, I love your little ditty and out "if we stay healthy." All NFL teams have injuries. Expect some. We're already "not healthy" with Alonso out. Losing any other player can't be half that bad.

coastal
08-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Pegula has good intentions. I don't think spending money will be an issue for him, although spending NFL money is different than NHL money. He can be a bit of a fanboy and too devoted to emplyees.weve had this discussion and I agree that Pat had a role in this, but I have it on good standing that he was hired into a role he was never really empowered into.

thats bad management.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
No, unless this year is an epic disaster I'd give Marrone and Whaley one more year. It takes 3 years to rebuild properly.

How do you define epic disaster?

Here's how I see it.

Whaley gambled last year and seems to have lost.

He chased that bad money with good this year by making an even bigger gamble, and to justify it promised playoffs.

He's left us dry for next year's draft as a result.

If this season flops there's not much room for an encore as a result.

So to me an epic disaster will be not improving on our 6-10 mark from last season and the two years prior.

So anything less than 7-9, given the circumstances, to me would be an epic disaster. It doesn't take much to win 6 games in the NFL, 75% of teams did it last season, over 75% did it in 2012 and 2011.

5-11 or worse should result in Whaley's firing the moment we hit 11 losses.

better days
08-06-2014, 01:54 PM
How do you define epic disaster?

Here's how I see it.

Whaley gambled last year and seems to have lost.

He chased that bad money with good this year by making an even bigger gamble, and to justify it promised playoffs.

He's left us dry for next year's draft as a result.

If this season flops there's not much room for an encore as a result.

So to me an epic disaster will be not improving on our 6-10 mark from last season and the two years prior.

So anything less than 7-9, given the circumstances, to me would be an epic disaster. It doesn't take much to win 6 games in the NFL, 75% of teams did it last season, over 75% did it in 2012 and 2011.

5-11 or worse should result in Whaley's firing the moment we hit 11 losses.

If the Bills finish 5-11 I want Marrone fired & I would not mind seeing Whaley fired as well.

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Sorry fox... Had to do it.

No apologies need it, I tell everyone I work with and my admiral (wife, Ball and Chain [BAC], Boss, etc) all the time to correct me if I am wrong. I do not take any offense to it at all and appreciate it when people point it out to me.

I have been in meetings where people were to affraid to correct their boss and the boss made a fool of himself. Was not my boss and technically my customer so it was a funny note between me and my co workers but was definitely a good lesson.

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 02:01 PM

If the bills get to the playoffs this year, will you change your tune on Brandon?

All we have is speculation and fan opinion on them we have no idea as to the real inner workings of the bills.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
If the bills get to the playoffs this year, will you change your tune on Brandon?

All we have is speculation and fan opinion on them we have no idea as to the real inner workings of the bills.

Absolutely not.

One playoff appearance does not make up for years of being mediocre at best.

Dujek
08-06-2014, 02:26 PM
I think whoever the new owner is Russ Brandon will be looking for work shortly. While the owner probably won't want to shake up the GM/HC situation immediately, they will have no issue with putting in their own business people to control the overall commercial direction of the team.

THATHURMANATOR
08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
To me it is Playoffs or BUST for the entire front office and coaching staff.

WagonCircler
08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Absolutely not.

You're still keeping score in a game that's over.

These are the last days of a lame duck staff and management team.

This team is highly likely to have a new CEO, Team President, GM, Front Office staff and coaching staff next year, to go along with its new owner.

Ralph Wilson is off the clock.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 03:10 PM
You're still keeping score in a game that's over.

These are the last days of a lame duck staff and management team.

This team is highly likely to have a new CEO, Team President, GM, Front Office staff and coaching staff next year, to go along with its new owner.

Ralph Wilson is off the clock.

Ralph Wilson is off the clock when Russ Brandon is gone and ONLY when Russ Brandon is gone. As far as running the team goes, Russ is Ralph.

justasportsfan
08-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Absolutely not.

you have yet to show us any proof that Brandon is responsible for any moves prior to him becoming CEO.

justasportsfan
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Ralph Wilson is off the clock when Russ Brandon is gone and ONLY when Russ Brandon is gone. As far as running the team goes, Russ is Ralph.

So Ralph hired college coaches who never had NFL experience as a HC like Marrone? Has Ralph ever given up the next years draft pick to move up the current draft ?When did he do that?

Fletch
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM

First let's get there.

And yes we do, we know what their personnel/player moves are and that they like to gamble and take huge risks. That's apparently part of the fabric that permeates OBD.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 03:28 PM
I think whoever the new owner is Russ Brandon will be looking for work shortly. While the owner probably won't want to shake up the GM/HC situation immediately, they will have no issue with putting in their own business people to control the overall commercial direction of the team.

He'll be lucky to have a job that's even close to what he's getting paid now.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 03:38 PM
So Ralph hired college coaches who never had NFL experience as a HC like Marrone? Has Ralph ever given up the next years draft pick to move up the current draft ?When did he do that?
Ralph hired 2nd or 3rd tier coaches who come cheap just like Russ.

Ralph traded up in the draft multiple times, including moving back into the first round, and traded next year's first for Bledsoe. Not exactly the same thing but very close.

delectrolux
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
To give a little more info to the OP on Pegula. He has no problem spending money on free agents. He fully believes in improving everything off the field (training facilities, locker rooms, scouting, arena). He empowers his management teams to act on their vision. He is emotionally invested in the team, the fans and in winning. He very well may be the perfect owner. He handled the Sabres very well in my opinion. He released the shackles on Darcy and when Darcy and Ruff failed, he cut them both loose and started over from scratch. I would assume Terry would keep the current staff through the end of this season and then barring an unlikely run (winning the AFC East, lets say), clearing house and starting over in he offseason.

WagonCircler
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Nah. Russ is dead douche walking.

In a short few months they'll be issuing him a box lunch and a bus ticket.

"Terry wants to see you in his office, Russ. Bring your playbook."

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 03:45 PM
you have yet to show us any proof that Brandon is responsible for any moves prior to him becoming CEO.

And you have yet to show us why you insist on defending the people responsible for this team's dismal performance. The team never wins, but somehow no one is ever to blame.

DesertFox24
08-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Absolutely not.

Does that not at the very least warrant a second year to see if the playoffs were a fluke or legit

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Does that not at the very least warrant a second year to see if the playoffs were a fluke or legit

We've had enough years of no playoffs with Russ. If we get in this year, it's a fluke.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 08:04 PM
We've had enough years of no playoffs with Russ. If we get in this year, it's a fluke.

Like we're gonna get in. If I were Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone I'd be on my knees facing Mecca three times a day praying that we win more than 4 games.

Every day from camp the same thing, Manuel doesn't know which way is up, Spikes now with a groin injury, something that rarely heals 100% during a season, talks of Spiller being traded (why is beyond me if the team really wants to make the playoffs and believes it can), Dareus and hsi problems and lack of conditioning, WRs being open and thrown off to, TEs not stepping up.

Way too many loose ends to make the playoffs. I don't understand why more people aren't worried about what I consider to be an immiment 4-12 or 3-13 season looming.

Skooby
08-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Like we're gonna get in. If I were Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone I'd be on my knees facing Mecca three times a day praying that we win more than 4 games.

Every day from camp the same thing, Manuel doesn't know which way is up, Spikes now with a groin injury, something that rarely heals 100% during a season, talks of Spiller being traded (why is beyond me if the team really wants to make the playoffs and believes it can), Dareus and hsi problems and lack of conditioning, WRs being open and thrown off to, TEs not stepping up.

Way too many loose ends to make the playoffs. I don't understand why more people aren't worried about what I consider to be an immiment 4-12 or 3-13 season looming.

What the ??? Groin injury for Spikes being a season long thing ? Are you his doctor ? Season starts in month so there's lots of time for him to get better. Our defense wins us 6 games regardless of how bad the offense end up becoming.

YardRat
08-06-2014, 08:17 PM

There was an article a couple of months ago that Lieno was actually Pegula's call, and Darcy made the move at his behest, because Pegs was frustrated over missing out on another big name free agent.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 08:23 PM
What the ??? Groin injury for Spikes being a season long thing ? Are you his doctor ? Season starts in month so there's lots of time for him to get better. Our defense wins us 6 games regardless of how bad the offense end up becoming.

Right. Last year we heard how Manuel wins us three or four games with his feet.

Intelligent people tire of buying into this junk every season.

OpIv37
08-06-2014, 09:07 PM
There was an article a couple of months ago that Lieno was actually Pegula's call, and Darcy made the move at his behest, because Pegs was frustrated over missing out on another big name free agent.
That would be Brad Richards, who went to the Rangers.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2014, 03:45 AM

Intelligent people tire of buying into this junk every season.

I don't recall hearing that.

Do you have a link?

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2014, 03:46 AM

How many years of no playoffs with Russ actually having full power have the Bills had?

Ginger Vitis
08-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Nobody on this site said that last offseason.. Again you're making stuff up

OpIv37
08-07-2014, 07:30 AM
How many years of no playoffs with Russ actually having full power have the Bills had?
At least a couple. He took over for Ralph 2 or 3 years ago I believe, because of Ralph's health.

Seriously, after that happened, people trashed me for complaining about Ralph by saying he doesn't meddle and it's Brandon's team now. Now I'm getting "well Brandon never had a chance to run things on his own." Well, it can't be both so pick one.

And getting back to the way this thread started, look no further than the Sabres. Everyone thight Golisano was the problem but it turns out it was far beyond him.

trapezeus
08-07-2014, 07:56 AM

and there wasn't enough proof to think OJ did it or scott peterson did it,but they did.

Brandon by being there and getting promoted routinely over the 16-18 years he's been with the team is pretty damning. and always a gimmick he's selling than getting us a team of real front office people. when jauron imploded and the wheels really came off, the team needed to move quickly away from the cronies. they needed to land a big name who knew how a championship team was built. they needed cowher, and as a leader he didn't get them. he went out and got 70 yr old buddy nix, ralph friend, and then a retread coach in gailey to make up for the excess cost of having jauron's contract extension still being paid out.

he got 3 years to watch that go nowhere. and then he went and promoted whaley, who has been involved in average drafts since he's been here and said, "he's new and things will be different. and i got him a .500 coach from the town next door" This is leadership, this is who you want to defend?

We suck because leadership has been weak at best, and utterly corrupt to line their own pockets at worst.

justasportsfan
08-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Ralph hired 2nd or 3rd tier coaches who come cheap just like Russ.

Ralph traded up in the draft multiple times, including moving back into the first round, and traded next year's first for Bledsoe. Not exactly the same thing but very close.

Bledsoe was a franchise qb. Watkins is a rookie. 2nd or 3rd tier coaches were NOT the same as Marrone. I'm still waiting for your sources other than your opinion.

justasportsfan
08-07-2014, 08:11 AM
and there wasn't enough proof to think OJ did it or scott peterson did it,but they did.

Brandon by being there and getting promoted routinely over the 16-18 years he's been with the team is pretty damning. and always a gimmick he's selling than getting us a team of real front office people. when jauron imploded and the wheels really came off, the team needed to move quickly away from the cronies. they needed to land a big name who knew how a championship team was built. they needed cowher, and as a leader he didn't get them. he went out and got 70 yr old buddy nix, ralph friend, and then a retread coach in gailey to make up for the excess cost of having jauron's contract extension still being paid out.

he got 3 years to watch that go nowhere. and then he went and promoted whaley, who has been involved in average drafts since he's been here and said, "he's new and things will be different. and i got him a .500 coach from the town next door" This is leadership, this is who you want to defend?

We suck because leadership has been weak at best, and utterly corrupt to line their own pockets at worst.

Just like OP, no LEGIT sources. Just your opinion. Please show me anywhere that it was Russ' decision to make Nix the GM. The OJ comparison is sad.

justasportsfan
08-07-2014, 08:13 AM
And you have yet to show us why you insist on defending the people responsible for this team's dismal performance. The team never wins, but somehow no one is ever to blame.

Uh , if EJ fails I'll blame Nix for it. I'll blame the people who have publicly stated they made the call. Not the ones you THINK MIGHT have been the one who made the call. You're the one making the accusations of who did what. At least show us more than your opinion because I have Russ PUBLICLY stating Nix was in charge of personnel decisions.

better days
08-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Uh , if EJ fails I'll blame Nix for it. I'll blame the people who have publicly stated they made the call. Not the ones you THINK MIGHT have been the one who made the call. You're the one making the accusations of who did what. At least show us more than your opinion because I have Russ PUBLICLY stating Nix was in charge of personnel decisions.

And if EJ is a bust, SO WHAT.

MANY QB's picked higher than EJ was have been busts.

The Bills also drafted Kiko in that draft who is better than many teams #1 pick.

OpIv37
08-07-2014, 09:27 AM

The Bills also drafted Kiko in that draft who is better than many teams #1 pick.

If EJ is a bust, it's not "so what." It's at least 4 more years of losing. We have no first round pick in 2015 so it'll be 2016 before we can even think about drafting a top QB, then it'll take him a couple of years to develop.

Meanwhile Sammy's talent goes to waste because we can't him the ball, Mario and Kyle will be retired or in the twlight of their careers, Jackson will be retired, Spiller will likely be gone....

There is a LOT riding on EJ. Whaley bet the farm on him.

Fletch
08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Nobody on this site said that last offseason.. Again you're making stuff up

ROFLMAO

Sure

It's comical how all of your hero fans never want to come clean after the facts slap you across the face in no uncertain terms.

Fletch
08-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Cool! Besides being out for the season, can Kiko play QB?

trapezeus
08-07-2014, 09:56 AM
its simply difference of opinion. i just find it hard to believe that a senior person at a small company like the bills would not be intimately aware of the decisions being made at all times. he's been with the team long enough and no one is making a decision in a vaccuum.

i really worry that new ownership will not can him. you see brandon sitting next to kelly on the sidelines, and you just think, "he's in the club. they'll never let him go."

justasportsfan
08-07-2014, 09:58 AM
its simply difference of opinion. i just find it hard to believe that a senior person at a small company like the bills would not be intimately aware of the decisions being made at all times. he's been with the team long enough and no one is making a decision in a vaccuum.

i really worry that new ownership will not can him. you see brandon sitting next to kelly on the sidelines, and you just think, "he's in the club. they'll never let him go."

You have opinion I have public statements.

I'd keep Russ. The guy was a great at marketing . He got you to buy season tickets did he not?

delectrolux
08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
That would be Brad Richards, who went to the Rangers.

Who was just bought out by the Rangers, just like Leino and Ehrhoff were. Unfortunately for the Sabres and Pegula, the first year he threw money at free agents was a crap year for free agents. It was also before they changed the CBA to eliminate those ridiculously long cap-circumventing contracts.

The Leino signing was a terrible contract, but the Ehrhoff deal was great at the time. There was no recapture penalty back then, and the team wasn't planning on a scorched-earth rebuild. Ehrhoff was consistently one of the best players on this team. Leino though… Ugh. That dude should be sending Darcy and Terry each a gift basket every Christmas.

OpIv37
08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Who was just bought out by the Rangers, just like Leino and Ehrhoff were. Unfortunately for the Sabres and Pegula, the first year he threw money at free agents was a crap year for free agents. It was also before they changed the CBA to eliminate those ridiculously long cap-circumventing contracts.

The Leino signing was a terrible contract, but the Ehrhoff deal was great at the time. There was no recapture penalty back then, and the team wasn't planning on a scorched-earth rebuild. Ehrhoff was consistently one of the best players on this team. Leino though… Ugh. That dude should be sending Darcy and Terry each a gift basket every Christmas.

I will say this though: I do think the Sabres are doing things right. They are way below the cap and have no one on long term contracts. If the youth is as talented as they say, then Pegula can open the checkbook again to bring in FA's and lock up our own long-term. And if that happens, FA's may actually want to come to a stable young team that's throwing money around.

I just hope Pegula doesn't have to bottom out the Bills to learn his lesson like he did with the Sabres.

delectrolux
08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I will say this though: I do think the Sabres are doing things right. They are way below the cap and have no one on long term contracts. If the youth is as talented as they say, then Pegula can open the checkbook again to bring in FA's and lock up our own long-term. And if that happens, FA's may actually want to come to a stable young team that's throwing money around.

I just hope Pegula doesn't have to bottom out the Bills to learn his lesson like he did with the Sabres.

Yeah, I agree. The Sabres are set up to be potentially amazing in about 2 years. As for the Bills, it doesn't seem like teams fully bottom out in the NFL like they do in other sports. Even the one bad year for the Colts that scored them Luck was a one-off. Despite the Bill's inability to do it, the potential for a quick turn around is much higher in the NFL.

So let's say Pegula wins the deal and buys the Bills. And E.J. turns out to be a dud. Well, without a first round pick next year, we'll be hobbling together an offense with a stop-gap journeyman QB (Alex Smith will be a free agent, so will Hoyer, Vick and Moore) or a second/third round developmental QB. If he works, great. We found a diamond in the rough to go with Sammy Watkins, our great running game and dominant defense. If he doesn't then we have a high first rounder to draft in 2016 for the new Pegula-based management team to hang their hats on...

trapezeus
08-07-2014, 03:51 PM
You have opinion I have public statements.

I'd keep Russ. The guy was a great at marketing . He got you to buy season tickets did he not?

we had them before russ. and i think being credited selling football is a ridiculous notion.

you have public statements of them obviously deflecting blame. you read it for what it's worth, others read it as a CYA, PR comment. And it's worked. no one ever holds him accountable because he always has a nother reason to deflect blame as a senior advisor to the team. yet he's happily collected his check every other week.

What a guy

justasportsfan
08-08-2014, 07:54 AM
we had them before russ. and i think being credited selling football is a ridiculous notion. but you continued to buy what he was selling.

you have public statements of them obviously deflecting blame. you read it for what it's worth, others read it as a CYA, PR comment. And it's worked. no one ever holds him accountable because he always has a nother reason to deflect blame as a senior advisor to the team. yet he's happily collected his check every other week.

What a guy When Russ said it was NIx's call to draft EJ , sign Mario , extend Fitz, etc. while NIx was still the GM is deflecting blame ?