• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Be on the lookout for this rule change tonight

They called this a few times last night, CIN@KC:. It's pretty ticky-tacky to me...

Cleveland Browns focusing hard on one big NFL rule change
    Posted Aug 4, 2014Kevin Jones Staff Writer

"During the Cleveland Browns’ training camp practice on Monday, defensive backs were wearing kick boxing gloves. Seriously. The team is training for a prize fight of a 2014 campaign, but that’s not why they were sporting the boxing gloves. The Browns’ coaching staff wants their defensive backs to be proactive of the new defensive contact and holding rules – because they are serious.

Veteran NFL referee Pete Morelli met with reporters in Berea last week to review the rule changes. The video from the NFL described the new defensive rules as follows: “Defenders cannot initiate contact with eligible receivers more than five yards from the line of scrimmage when the quarterback is in the pocket with the ball. The covering official will recognize the contact, and then look back to the quarterback. If he is in the pocket with the ball or in the process of releasing it, it will be a foul for illegal contact.”"...

Cleveland Browns Home: The official source of the latest Browns headlines, news, videos, photos, tickets, rosters, stats, schedule, and gameday information
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Be on the lookout for this rule change tonight

Soon it will be just let guys run and toss them the ball, score & all the records will be broken. How many 5,000 yard passers do we have now? 6,000 yards will be next, what a joke.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

What's the over/under on how many times the Bills get burned by a bad call/no call over this rule?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

This was instigated because of the Seattle Seahawks.

They blatantly broke the rules last year thinking & correctly so that the ref would not call a penalty on every single play.

This year the NFL is saying it will call a penalty on every play if necessary.

This is not really a new rule, it is a rule that was not enforced before as it should have been.

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          What's the over/under on how many times the Bills get burned by a bad call/no call over this rule?
          If we keep either of the New England games close, I would bet my car that this penalty gets called on a Bills DB after we stop the Pats on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
            If we keep either of the New England games close, I would bet my car that this penalty gets called on a Bills DB after we stop the Pats on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter.
            The thing is, that is the kind of call the Pats* have gotten since Kraft, Brady & Belichick have been there while teams like the Bills rarely got the benefit of that call.

The question is will the refs call that against the Pats* if they break that rule.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

in total games, or just games vs the patriots when the game is on the line and voila! pass interference on 3rd and long. brady and the pats keep marching down the field!!

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

I blame the steel industry.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  The thing is, that is the kind of call the Pats* have gotten since Kraft, Brady & Belichick have been there while teams like the Bills rarely got the benefit of that call.

The question is will the refs call that against the Pats* if they break that rule.
                  Until I see them get flagged, I will assume that they will continue to get the breaks that they have gotten.

-Bill

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                    Until I see them get flagged, I will assume that they will continue to get the breaks that they have gotten.

-Bill
                    Agreed

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      They called this a few times last night, CIN@KC:. It's pretty ticky-tacky to me...

Cleveland Browns focusing hard on one big NFL rule change
                      Posted Aug 4, 2014Kevin Jones Staff Writer

"During the Cleveland Browns’ training camp practice on Monday, defensive backs were wearing kick boxing gloves. Seriously. The team is training for a prize fight of a 2014 campaign, but that’s not why they were sporting the boxing gloves. The Browns’ coaching staff wants their defensive backs to be proactive of the new defensive contact and holding rules – because they are serious.

Veteran NFL referee Pete Morelli met with reporters in Berea last week to review the rule changes. The video from the NFL described the new defensive rules as follows: “Defenders cannot initiate contact with eligible receivers more than five yards from the line of scrimmage when the quarterback is in the pocket with the ball. The covering official will recognize the contact, and then look back to the quarterback. If he is in the pocket with the ball or in the process of releasing it, it will be a foul for illegal contact.”"...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...2-534cc6e15ff8
                      They told us this before the HOF game too. I didn't notice any big change.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        They told us this before the HOF game too. I didn't notice any big change.
                        2nd qtr:
                        3-4-BUF47 (13:42) (Shotgun) J.Tuel sacked at BUF 43 for -4 yards (J.Hankins). PENALTY on NYG-P.Amukamara, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 47 - No Play.

3rd qtr:
                        2-11-NYG36 (2:58) R.Nassib sacked at NYG 28 for -8 yards (L.Cohen). PENALTY on BUF-J.Harley, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at NYG 36 - No Play.

I don't recall if the violations were egregious. There was a call in CIN@KC that was just a db casually touching a wr, not in any way affecting the play.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

I watched the Broncos and Seahawks game and the new rule was very noticeable.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                            I blame the steel industry.
                            Why blame Japan?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post

-Bill
                              I'm so tired of all that breaks they get. Sure, some Boston **** could say "your just bittah cuz of all the wicked bad beatings we gave the Bills and all ouha Supah Bowl rings!" except for one thing: it's not just Bills fans.

Every fan of every other team complains about the breaks they get. Even Redskins fans, who have had to play Brady maybe 3 or 4x in his entire career, complain about it.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X