PDA

View Full Version : Be on the lookout for this rule change tonight

stuckincincy
08-08-2014, 01:55 PM
They called this a few times last night, CIN@KC:. It's pretty ticky-tacky to me...

Cleveland Browns focusing hard on one big NFL rule change
Posted Aug 4, 2014Kevin Jones Staff Writer

"During the Cleveland Browns’ training camp practice on Monday, defensive backs were wearing kick boxing gloves. Seriously. The team is training for a prize fight of a 2014 campaign, but that’s not why they were sporting the boxing gloves. The Browns’ coaching staff wants their defensive backs to be proactive of the new defensive contact and holding rules – because they are serious.

Veteran NFL referee Pete Morelli met with reporters in Berea last week to review the rule changes. The video from the NFL described the new defensive rules as follows: “Defenders cannot initiate contact with eligible receivers more than five yards from the line of scrimmage when the quarterback is in the pocket with the ball. The covering official will recognize the contact, and then look back to the quarterback. If he is in the pocket with the ball or in the process of releasing it, it will be a foul for illegal contact.”"...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Cleveland-Browns-focusing-hard-on-one-big-NFL-rule-change/99b942a3-bcc4-4e72-9582-534cc6e15ff8

Skooby
08-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Soon it will be just let guys run and toss them the ball, score & all the records will be broken. How many 5,000 yard passers do we have now? 6,000 yards will be next, what a joke.

OpIv37
08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
What's the over/under on how many times the Bills get burned by a bad call/no call over this rule?

better days
08-08-2014, 02:09 PM
This was instigated because of the Seattle Seahawks.

They blatantly broke the rules last year thinking & correctly so that the ref would not call a penalty on every single play.

This year the NFL is saying it will call a penalty on every play if necessary.

This is not really a new rule, it is a rule that was not enforced before as it should have been.

Thurmal
08-08-2014, 02:37 PM
What's the over/under on how many times the Bills get burned by a bad call/no call over this rule?
If we keep either of the New England games close, I would bet my car that this penalty gets called on a Bills DB after we stop the Pats on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter.

better days
08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
If we keep either of the New England games close, I would bet my car that this penalty gets called on a Bills DB after we stop the Pats on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter.

The thing is, that is the kind of call the Pats* have gotten since Kraft, Brady & Belichick have been there while teams like the Bills rarely got the benefit of that call.

The question is will the refs call that against the Pats* if they break that rule.

trapezeus
08-08-2014, 03:36 PM

in total games, or just games vs the patriots when the game is on the line and voila! pass interference on 3rd and long. brady and the pats keep marching down the field!!

SpikedLemonade
08-08-2014, 03:37 PM

I blame the steel industry.

BLeonard
08-08-2014, 03:50 PM
The thing is, that is the kind of call the Pats* have gotten since Kraft, Brady & Belichick have been there while teams like the Bills rarely got the benefit of that call.

The question is will the refs call that against the Pats* if they break that rule.

Until I see them get flagged, I will assume that they will continue to get the breaks that they have gotten.

-Bill

better days
08-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Until I see them get flagged, I will assume that they will continue to get the breaks that they have gotten.

-Bill

Agreed

swiper
08-08-2014, 04:55 PM
They called this a few times last night, CIN@KC:. It's pretty ticky-tacky to me...

Cleveland Browns focusing hard on one big NFL rule change
Posted Aug 4, 2014Kevin Jones Staff Writer

"During the Cleveland Browns’ training camp practice on Monday, defensive backs were wearing kick boxing gloves. Seriously. The team is training for a prize fight of a 2014 campaign, but that’s not why they were sporting the boxing gloves. The Browns’ coaching staff wants their defensive backs to be proactive of the new defensive contact and holding rules – because they are serious.

Veteran NFL referee Pete Morelli met with reporters in Berea last week to review the rule changes. The video from the NFL described the new defensive rules as follows: “Defenders cannot initiate contact with eligible receivers more than five yards from the line of scrimmage when the quarterback is in the pocket with the ball. The covering official will recognize the contact, and then look back to the quarterback. If he is in the pocket with the ball or in the process of releasing it, it will be a foul for illegal contact.”"...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Cleveland-Browns-focusing-hard-on-one-big-NFL-rule-change/99b942a3-bcc4-4e72-9582-534cc6e15ff8

They told us this before the HOF game too. I didn't notice any big change.

stuckincincy
08-08-2014, 05:03 PM
They told us this before the HOF game too. I didn't notice any big change.

2nd qtr:
3-4-BUF47 (13:42) (Shotgun) J.Tuel sacked at BUF 43 for -4 yards (J.Hankins). PENALTY on NYG-P.Amukamara, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 47 - No Play.

3rd qtr:
2-11-NYG36 (2:58) R.Nassib sacked at NYG 28 for -8 yards (L.Cohen). PENALTY on BUF-J.Harley, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at NYG 36 - No Play.

I don't recall if the violations were egregious. There was a call in CIN@KC that was just a db casually touching a wr, not in any way affecting the play.

SpikedLemonade
08-08-2014, 05:06 PM
I watched the Broncos and Seahawks game and the new rule was very noticeable.

better days
08-08-2014, 05:17 PM
I blame the steel industry.

Why blame Japan?

OpIv37
08-08-2014, 05:27 PM

-Bill

I'm so tired of all that breaks they get. Sure, some Boston **** could say "your just bittah cuz of all the wicked bad beatings we gave the Bills and all ouha Supah Bowl rings!" except for one thing: it's not just Bills fans.

Every fan of every other team complains about the breaks they get. Even Redskins fans, who have had to play Brady maybe 3 or 4x in his entire career, complain about it.

better days
08-08-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm so tired of all that breaks they get. Sure, some Boston **** could say "your just bittah cuz of all the wicked bad beatings we gave the Bills and all ouha Supah Bowl rings!" except for one thing: it's not just Bills fans.

Every fan of every other team complains about the breaks they get. Even Redskins fans, who have had to play Brady maybe 3 or 4x in his entire career, complain about it.

Great expression of NE talk in print.

Meathead
08-08-2014, 05:40 PM

dont be ridiculous. it will be fourth down

Novacane
08-08-2014, 05:41 PM

Tonight or all year? I can see this killing us all season. 4th and 5 if the Bills make this stop they win. SACK!!! IT's over!!!!!!!! ..............oh wait theres a flag :ill:

BLeonard
08-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Funny story on that:

I go to a bar for games and there are about 5-6 other Bills fans there regularly. There is also one couple that is there regularly that are Patriots fans.

On opening day, there was some **** call that went for NE and I said something to the effect of "New season, same biased officiating" and the Patriots guy went off, claiming that the Pats didn't get any more favorable calls than any other team in the league.

So, I took him up on his comment and challenged him. I said "go around this entire bar and ask anyone that isn't a Patriots fan to say that the Pats don't get favorable calls and I won't say a word about it the rest of the season." In a bar that probably holds a couple hundred people, he couldn't find one person to agree with his claim.

-Bill

Thurmal
08-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Funny story on that:

I go to a bar for games and there are about 5-6 other Bills fans there regularly. There is also one couple that is there regularly that are Patriots fans.

On opening day, there was some **** call that went for NE and I said something to the effect of "New season, same biased officiating" and the Patriots guy went off, claiming that the Pats didn't get any more favorable calls than any other team in the league.

So, I took him up on his comment and challenged him. I said "go around this entire bar and ask anyone that isn't a Patriots fan to say that the Pats don't get favorable calls and I won't say a word about it the rest of the season." In a bar that probably holds a couple hundred people, he couldn't find one person to agree with his claim.

-Bill
It's unreal how they're favored. Did you see their game against Cleveland last year? They got about 4-5 BS calls back-to-back that gave them the win.

stuckincincy
08-11-2014, 10:50 AM
The beat goes on...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24655489/rex-ryan-on-illegal-contact-point-of-emphasis-let-guys-play

Mr. Miyagi
08-11-2014, 10:55 AM
This season? 38.

Mr. Miyagi
08-11-2014, 10:59 AM

"Just give it to them."

Mr. Miyagi
08-11-2014, 11:05 AM
It's unreal how they're favored. Did you see their game against Cleveland last year? They got about 4-5 BS calls back-to-back that gave them the win.
I also recall a MNF game Pats vs Ravens and the Ravens were ahead at the end of the game and stopped the Pats at 4th down like 3 times in a row, and 3 times in a row they got flagged to give the Pats the first down.

stuckincincy
08-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I also recall a MNF game Pats vs Ravens and the Ravens were ahead at the end of the game and stopped the Pats at 4th down like 3 times in a row, and 3 times in a row they got flagged to give the Pats the first down.

See the global picture. This isn't just a whiny Bills fan problem.

stuckincincy
08-11-2014, 11:32 AM
And it gets deeper still...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000376637/article/illegal-contact-penalties-fly-in-first-week-of-preseason

The NFL inches again towards some version of the WWF.