PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Generalissimus Gibby
08-08-2014, 10:36 PM
The good: I think our D is fairly good. Okay I know its a bit too early and we didn't play against the Panthers first unit and that long TD drive was hideous, but overall I like how the D is shaping up

The bad: No TD from our first two two drives, one was a long drive and one started deep in Panther territory. I understand going for it on the first drive, but we gotta put it in the endzone. This team figures out how to convert long drives, short fields, and turnovers into sevens this is going to be a very fun team to watch. However, we ain't learned how to do that yet this year

The ugly: the QBs. Okay, EJ has played in 10 games and didn't look too bad this pre season, but QB is the only really glaring weakness I've seen on this team.

BuffaloRedleg
08-08-2014, 10:41 PM
You are correct that QB really is the only glaring weakness on this team.

If EJ stinks or is injured every single person should be fired for not bringing in a veteran QB and giving up our first round pick next year.

Turf
08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I think our unwillingness to use a fullback at the goal line, or Dixon, has kept us back for years.

Parzival
08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
The Bills have been terrible in the red zone for as long as I can remember. I feel like we get shut down in every 3rd/4th and 1. Hopefully Mike Williams will be that big red zone threat we need, and maybe even Chandler will step his game up.

But seriously, is it just me or do we get stuffed on 3rd/4th and 1s all the goddamn time?

Skooby
08-09-2014, 04:32 AM
Ugly, we played some of our good players all night and barely won.

swiper
08-09-2014, 05:10 AM
I liked what Spiller did in this game.

Landon Cohen did well.

Bryce Brown & Anthony Dixon looked good.

swiper
08-09-2014, 05:11 AM
The Bills have been terrible in the red zone for as long as I can remember. I feel like we get shut down in every 3rd/4th and 1. Hopefully Mike Williams will be that big red zone threat we need, and maybe even Chandler will step his game up.

But seriously, is it just me or do we get stuffed on 3rd/4th and 1s all the goddamn time?

We have a fullback. But Hackett chooses to use Fred Jackson instead. Failing on that drive was purely an OC failure.

YardRat
08-09-2014, 05:22 AM
We have a fullback. But Hackett chooses to use Fred Jackson instead. Failing on that drive was purely an OC failure.

Dixon didn't fair much better with his opportunities, and that should be his wheelhouse. 3rd/4th and short is 90% oline, 10% RB...the big uglies up front need to get stronger. IMO if it wasn't preseason we probably would have seen a QB sneak a couple of times, but no sense in risking that in games that don't count. I like the philosophy Marrone has, going for it and trying to establish an attitude.

swiper
08-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Dixon didn't fair much better with his opportunities, and that should be his wheelhouse. 3rd/4th and short is 90% oline, 10% RB...the big uglies up front need to get stronger. IMO if it wasn't preseason we probably would have seen a QB sneak a couple of times, but no sense in risking that in games that don't count. I like the philosophy Marrone has, going for it and trying to establish an attitude.

I agree with all that. However he has 2 no-name FBs on the roster who would love nothing better than to get their name called scoring a TD in Rodriguez & Summers. And then he has a winding-down veteran in Fred Jackson who is trying everything to stay healthy for the real season play. Who's going to give you more effort there? Answer: Rodriguez/Summers

YardRat
08-09-2014, 05:32 AM
I think stating somebody is going to give more effort than FJax is a little bit inaccurate.

The oline are fighting for starting and roster spots at just about every position, they are the ones that should be giving maximum effort.

chernobylwraiths
08-09-2014, 05:56 AM
today's fullbacks are made for making holes, not hitting them. Just because they are bigger and stronger don't make them better runners. It usually makes them slower and easier to take down. Thurman Thomas was always very good at getting that 1 yard when needed, but as Yard pointed out, if the oline ain't blocking, Jim Brown ain't getting that yard.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2014, 07:03 AM
QB is the only weakness on this team??

Am I the only one who has watched RG, LG and RT?

EricStratton
08-09-2014, 07:08 AM

If you've built your internet persona on hating EJ you're damn right the only weakness is QB.

Thurmal
08-09-2014, 07:27 AM

If EJ stinks or is injured every single person should be fired for not bringing in a veteran QB and giving up our first round pick next year.

It's ridiculous that they didn't bring in someone like Rex Grossman or whoever to be a back-up just in case. Manuel, Tuel, Lewis...if that's not the worst QB combo in the league, I don't know what is.

Turf
08-09-2014, 07:42 AM
today's fullbacks are made for making holes, not hitting them. Just because they are bigger and stronger don't make them better runners. It usually makes them slower and easier to take down. Thurman Thomas was always very good at getting that 1 yard when needed, but as Yard pointed out, if the oline ain't blocking, Jim Brown ain't getting that yard.

Fred ran poorly at the goal line twice. A big guy could have barreled through or Dixon could have leaped over easily, or hit the line and extended the arm. Very bad execution at HB. We're talking about an inch here.

SpikedLemonade
08-09-2014, 08:37 AM

The OL was very weak last night.

swiper
08-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I think stating somebody is going to give more effort than FJax is a little bit inaccurate.

The oline are fighting for starting and roster spots at just about every position, they are the ones that should be giving maximum effort.

You should go back and watch those plays.

swiper
08-09-2014, 09:19 AM
If you've built your internet persona on hating EJ you're damn right the only weakness is QB.

I strongly suggest you watch Blake Bortles performance on NFLN against Tampa Bay. Then wake up.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Chris Williams is getting criticized in every game write up I've seen so far.

swiper
08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Fred ran poorly at the goal line twice. A big guy could have barreled through or Dixon could have leaped over easily, or hit the line and extended the arm. Very bad execution at HB. We're talking about an inch here.

Bingo.

GingerP
08-09-2014, 09:59 AM
It's ridiculous that they didn't bring in someone like Rex Grossman or whoever to be a back-up just in case. Manuel, Tuel, Lewis...if that's not the worst QB combo in the league, I don't know what is.

Grossman? Seriously? That is your answer? Well... he is still out there, so if you want a guy who was Washington's 3rd-string QB last year and can't currently find a job... they can still sign him.

Look, I have reservations about Manuel as well. I didn't like him that much at Florida State and nothing he has done as a pro has made me think he can become a viable NFL starter. However, for better or worse, the Bills have committed to the guy. They have to give him a chance to develop, and the only way to do that is get him game experience. He need to play a lot this year to find out if he can be that guy. There is no way around it. He is their only shot right now, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Rex Grossman or anyone else they can get right now isn't going to do anything.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
I strongly suggest you watch Blake Bortles performance on NFLN against Tampa Bay. Then wake up.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Chris Williams is getting criticized in every game write up I've seen so far.

Bortles played against the Bucs 2nd/3rd team defenses. I get people want to rip on EJ because yes he's far from perfect but I think he's a lot further along then some here want to give him credit for. As it's easier to hate then actually wait and see if he develops. To me he made some good strides for the Giants game to the Panthers game and hopefully it continues next week against Pittsburgh and through the regular season.

Parzival
08-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Bortles played against the Bucs 2nd/3rd team defenses. I get people want to rip on EJ because yes he's far from perfect but I think he's a lot further along then some here want to give him credit for. As it's easier to hate then actually wait and see if he develops. To me he made some good strides for the Giants game to the Panthers game and hopefully it continues next week against Pittsburgh and through the regular season.

Was just about to post this. I just went and watched his highlights out of curiosity and while he definitely looked good he was playing against back ups in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. He had some nice throws but nothing that special. Looks like he might be a good one though.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Was just about to post this. I just went and watched his highlights out of curiosity and while he definitely looked good he was playing against back ups in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. He had some nice throws but nothing that special. Looks like he might be a good one though.

Yeah he might but nobody knows, heck from what I read the Jags want him to sit on on the bench this season and not start until 2015. If this happened in Buffalo fans would be screaming left and right.

stuckincincy
08-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Just finished watching the replay.

Good: An entertaining game. I enjoy listening to an opponent's announcers.

Bad: Sorta bad - keeping starters in so long, at least on defense. But it's their 2nd ps game, so maybe that's why.

Ugly: They had very good field position throughout the game. Really should have put up more points.

kishoph
08-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Sort of like he did later in the game, oh wait he was stopped. Never mind.

Historian
08-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I think what bothered me was that their third string quarterback showed more leadership and field-general-ship than our first stringer.

WagonCircler
08-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Exactly!

And the other annoying thing is the low bar among Bills fans regarding what a "good game" is by a QB.

EJ made maybe one good throw last night, the one to Hogan for a big gainer. The throw to Williams was needlessly high and would likely have gained a lot more yards if properly thrown. Sammy had to catch one with his hipbone.

But the real story was, he failed in the red zone. The offense put up three point with him under Center.

With every passing day, EJ becomes Trent Edwards.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Exactly!

And the other annoying thing is the low bar among Bills fans regarding what a "good game" is by a QB.

EJ made maybe one good throw last night, the one to Hogan for a big gainer. The throw to Williams was needlessly high and would likely have gained a lot more yards if properly thrown. Sammy had to catch one with his hipbone.

But the real story was, he failed in the red zone. The offense put up three point with him under Center.

So true I mean EJ was horrible at his handoffs to Fred Jackson inside the 11 yard line on those four downs we better find a new QB pronto. [/sarcasm]

Mr. Pink
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Why this team fails to ever run QB sneaks on 3rd and short or 4th and short baffles me.

Even Tom Brady and Drew Brees run them.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Why this team fails to ever run QB sneaks on 3rd and short or 4th and short baffles me.

Even Tom Brady and Drew Brees run them.

Maybe we're worried EJ will get hurt again and being he's the only legitimate NFL QB we have on the roster it's best he stay healthy.

Mr. Pink
08-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Maybe we're worried EJ will get hurt again and being he's the only legitimate NFL QB we have on the roster it's best he stay healthy.

Were the Pats gonna turn to Mallet or Hoyer over the years if Brady got spiked on a sneak?

Were the Saints gonna turn to Chase Daniel or whatever other crap they had behind Brees?

Teams run those plays because they work and don't play scared. But not the Bills.

Makes no sense.

kishoph
08-09-2014, 03:32 PM
So true I mean EJ was horrible at his handoffs to Fred Jackson inside the 11 yard line on those four downs we better find a new QB pronto. [/sarcasm]

I can live with the poor handoffs, but allowing the DT to make the tackle uncontested is inexcusable. EJ Sucks. :str8face:

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Were the Pats gonna turn to Mallet or Hoyer over the years if Brady got spiked on a sneak?

Were the Saints gonna turn to Chase Daniel or whatever other crap they had behind Brees?

Teams run those plays because they work and don't play scared. But not the Bills.

Makes no sense.
I get where your coming from but the Bills are trying to develop Manuel to be an NFL QB but another injury that that development go down the toilet but who knows Matt Stafford missed part of his first two seasons and finally put it all behind him and excelled in season 3. Personally I'm behind EJ and think he will step up and prove to be a middle of the pack NFL QB in this coming season which I think a realistic expectation in his development.

swiper
08-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Exactly!

Exactly correct again. Good post.

Fletch
08-09-2014, 03:42 PM
I get where your coming from but the Bills are trying to develop Manuel to be an NFL QB but another injury that that development go down the toilet

The exercise is like trying to turn a lump of coal into a diamond.

First, we don't have time.

Second, by that time he'll be in his grave.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
The exercise is like trying to turn a lump of coal into a diamond.

First, we don't have time.

Second, by that time he'll be in his grave.

Why don't we have time? Would you rather we have someone like Chad Henne or Carson Palmer at the helm leading us to a 6-10 season? Let's not forget we won 4 of 10 games last season with a rookie QB who you seem to feel was the NFL's worst starting QB? What happens if he does become marginally better and/or the talent around him plays better and we somehow we finish 8-8? Will that shut you up from criticising him? Let the damn kid play in the regular season and prove to us he shouldn't be our QB of the future. Hell everyone was worried sick what he'd do against the Patriots in the season opener with limited preseason play last season and what happened? He nearly shocked the world.

Fletch
08-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Why don't we have time? Would you rather we have someone like Chad Henne or Carson Palmer at the helm leading us to a 6-10 season? Let's not forget we won 4 of 10 games last season with a rookie QB who you seems to feel was the NFL's worst? What happens if he does become marginally better and somehow we finish 8-8? Will that shut you up from criticising him? Let the damn kid play and prove to us he shouldn't be our QB of the future. Hell everyone was worried sick what he'd do against the Patriots in the season opener with limited preseason play last season and what happened? He nearly shocked the world.

So our 4 wins with Manuel playing were because of his play?

You don't sound so bright. In fact you sound very dense.

So going 10 for 22 and throwing 1 TD and 2 INTs won us the game vs. Baltimore.

OK.

I'd rather have Palmer for a season. Or Henne. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Palmer outplayed Manuel last season and he had worse receivers and RBs and a worse OL, by a huge margin. Henne in Jax had crap and played about the same.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Keep on with the astute posting though.

What happens if he does become marginally better and somehow we finish 8-8? Will that shut you up from criticising him?

Yeah. What's going to shut you up from being an *******?

If we don't go at least 6-10 are you going to STFU and tell everyone that you don't know WTF you're talking about? ... I didn't think so.

Fletch
08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
We'll come back to this in the fall, I'm curious what crap is going to be dribbling from your lips then.

The Jokeman
08-09-2014, 04:10 PM
So our 4 wins with Manuel playing were because of his play?

You don't sound so bright. In fact you sound very dense.

So going 10 for 22 and throwing 1 TD and 2 INTs won us the game vs. Baltimore.

OK.

I'd rather have Palmer for a season. Or Henne. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Palmer outplayed Manuel last season and he had worse receivers and RBs and a worse OL, by a huge margin. Henne in Jax had crap and played about the same.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Keep on with the astute posting though.

Yeah. What's going to shut you up from being an *******?

Really worse WRs? Who did the Bills have last season that was marginally close to being as good as Larry Fitzgerald? Did EJ play poorly against the Ravens? He sure did but when the game was on the line and he needed to make plays to win did or did he not make the plays? What more do you want from him?

sudzy
08-09-2014, 05:20 PM

What? You mean our big free agent signing that was hand pick by our "great talent evaluator," Doug Whaley? How can this be?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-09-2014, 06:09 PM
<iframe width="600" height="735" class="vine-embed loaded playing" src="https://vine.co/v/MVwTHDH7XQU/embed/postcard?audio=1" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script> (http://<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/MVwTHDH7XQU/embed/postcard?audio=1" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>)<script src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

TacklingDummy
08-09-2014, 06:50 PM

Overall EJ had plenty of time to throw the ball on every drop back, even the one he took the sack on.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Looks like holding by #77 above.

don137
08-09-2014, 08:32 PM

Byron Bell is replacing Jordan Gross at LT> Mario abused him for 3 1/2 sacks last game. Definite hold.

better days
08-10-2014, 08:57 AM

I noticed a lot of holding by the Panthers that was not called.

There was one play where the Bills DE was grabbed by the face mask & thrown to the ground & it was not called.

YardRat
08-10-2014, 09:29 AM
A good game for an NFL QB is A) A win, and B) Not making a (or several) mistakes that lead directly to losing.

Everything else is just numbers for scratchy vaginas to piss and moan over.

stuckincincy
08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Helmet-to-helmet by Cohen on CAR's #78, who raises his hand in protest...

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Helmet-to-helmet by Cohen on CAR's #78, who raises his hand in protest...

I think you mean Dareus. But #78 is not clean either. Either player could be reacting to the other.

stuckincincy
08-10-2014, 02:32 PM
I think you mean Dareus. But #78 is not clean either. Either player could be reacting to the other.

Right you are. But seems to me that he initiated the hit. Such are today's rules, eh?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I think it's incidental; neither are a ball carrier or a tackler.

swiper
08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

The Giants were holding a lot too in the HOF game.

Mad Max
08-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Not sure of they've ever done this, but I'd like to see Dareus used in goalline situations as a blocker...maybe even a ball carrier if he has a handle (ala Fridge Perry).

Belichek is famous for this kind of thing, use your best players to help you win...regardless of their regular position.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Not sure of they've ever done this, but I'd like to see Dareus used in goalline situations as a blocker...maybe even a ball carrier if he has a handle (ala Fridge Perry).

Belichek is famous for this kind of thing, use your best players to help you win...regardless of their regular position.

yea, last time he did that s*** Gronk got injured on an extra point IIRC

Skooby
08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
<iframe width="600" height="736" class="vine-embed loaded playing" src="https://vine.co/v/MVwTHDH7XQU/embed/postcard?audio=1" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script> (http://<iframe class=&quot;vine-embed&quot; src=&quot;https://vine.co/v/MVwTHDH7XQU/embed/postcard?audio=1&quot; width=&quot;600&quot; height=&quot;600&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot;></iframe><script async src=&quot;//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js&quot; charset=&quot;utf-8&quot;></script>)<script src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

I like how he used both shoulders on the play, to punish those who challenged him.

kishoph
08-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Great play by Dareus, also notice how quick Bradham gets to the ball carrier, he might of made the tackle, but Dareus just pushed him aside along with anyone else that was in his way. Bradham might be a pleasant surprise in the absence of Alonso.

Night Train
08-11-2014, 03:49 AM
The ugly was that ref moving the ball back a foot after it was already spotted, following Fred Jacksons run on the opening drive. Then the measurement is magically 2 inches short. WTF was that ?

Skooby
08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
The ugly was that ref moving the ball back a foot after it was already spotted, following Fred Jacksons run on the opening drive. Then the measurement is magically 2 inches short. WTF was that ?

The Ref needed to make sure it was short & that did it.

trapezeus
08-11-2014, 09:07 AM
A good game for an NFL QB is A) A win, and B) Not making a (or several) mistakes that lead directly to losing.

Everything else is just numbers for scratchy vaginas to piss and moan over.

kind of agree with you, but in the end, you need to have the numbers to justify where you are especially if you are a starting qb ranked between 10-20. because in that range, you are servicable but you could be upgraded. so it's worth knowing exactly where you stand and where you need to improve.