• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

My Projected 53 man roster after 2 pre-season games

QB (2, 2) - EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel (Lewis has been garbage. Team keeps 2 QBs)
    RB/FB (4, 6) - CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Anthony Davis, Bryce Brown (no FB - Davis, TEs and maybe OL fill the role. Summers is not a great blocker anyway)
    WR (6, 12) - Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Hogan, Marcus Easley (Easley gets the last spot based on ST play)
    TE (3, 15) - Scott Chandler, Lee Smith, Chris Gragg (Moeaki misses out)
    OL (9, 24) - Cordy Glenn, Chris Williams, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Eric Pears, Cyrus Kouandjio, Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Doug Legursky (The depth guys can easily change. Legursky makes it as the back-up at all 3 interior positions)

DL (9, 33) - Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson, Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Jarius Wynn, Landon Cohen (Branch came in out of shape and has not impressed. Cohen beats him out and they keep the younger guys in Charles and Bryant)
    LB (7, 40) - Nigel Bradham, Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers, Preston Brown, Randell Johnson, Ty Powell, Stevenson Sylvester
    DB (9, 49 ) - Leodis McKelvin, Da, Norris Searcy, Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Corey Graham, Ross Cockrell, Nickell Robley, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks
    ST (4, 53) - Dan Carpenter, Brian Moorman, Garrison Sandborn, Dustin Hopkins ( Yes - a KO guy. So far all but one KO has been a touchback and they drafted him. He also kicked well on FGs last pre-season so Hopkins sticks. If he goes it opens a spot up for Branch (especially if Dareus is suspended), Moeaki, Lewis or another DB)
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Re: My Projected 53 man roster after 2 pre-season games

There are a lot of tough choices this year.

I think that they have to keep 3 QBs - Lewis makes the team.

Maybe only 6 linebackers make it since so many of the pass defense sets only use 2. Barring injury, I don't think that Johnson makes the final 53.

O-line is a tough call. Will they cut Hairston and keep Legursky? It depends on how well they think Hairston can play guard and how well Urbik can play center. Guys like Legursky are nice to have for pre-season games but I don't think he makes the team.

Only keeping 5 corners is risk - they had such a hard time last season finding viable replacements when injuries set in. But how do they make room for 6? Hopkins is a luxury - I think that he has to go to make room for Brooks.

Keeping one less defensive lineman will make room for a fullback (Summers). Branch will use pre-season to get in shape and stay with the team - I go with Charles as the other back-up.
    Last edited by John Doe; 08-09-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

I agree with Easley. Even if he never sees the field as a WR except for emergency situations, he's too good on ST to cut him. He plays his ass off and deserves it.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

I agree for the most part.

TJ Graham is a goner.

I don't know about Cyril Richardson yet. I appreciate he was drafted in the 5th round but he really has shown nothing yet. I wonder if they would keep 3 rookie OLs.

The Bills seem to like DE Bryan Johnson but I suspect he makes the PS.

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Looks real good Lecter. I would be surprised if Branch got let go; but you're right about him.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

Branch and Brooks stay. Legursky and Hopkins go.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

With EJ's injury concerns, I don't think there's any way they keep only two QBs going into the season. I think they drop Sylvester.

Also, the RB's name is Anthony Dixon. Anthony Davis is the unibrow wonderboy for the New Orleans Pelicans.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                Branch and Brooks stay. Legursky and Hopkins go.
                I was around when they cut Gary Anderson & kept Nick Mike-Mayer, who was gone before the season ended. I'm deathly afraid of cutting Hopkins now that he's proven he's healthy & watching him kick for another 20 years. Keep him this year & open up the competition next season, If he can't beat out Carpenter in 2015 then I can live with letting him go, but I just can't get it out of my head that 3 teams let Carpenter go last year before the Bills picked him up & his magical ride could end at any time. Even if it costs us a 3rd stringer who makes another team, I want Hopkins around at least this year.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

I just watch the 1st and a little of the 2nd quarter again and Chris Williams is not looking good at Guard.

We definitely have a weakness at that position.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                    I just watch the 1st and a little of the 2nd quarter again and Chris Williams is not looking good at Guard.

We definitely have a weakness at that position.
                    For many of the 14 straight non-playoff years we seem to bring in a FA OL that his last team couldn't wait to improve on and declare him a starter on our O-line. It's the definition of insanity. Williams is just the latest in a long line of O-line vets brought in on the cheap.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                      For many of the 14 straight non-playoff years we seem to bring in a FA OL that his last team couldn't wait to improve on and declare him a starter on our O-line. It's the definition of insanity. Williams is just the latest in a long line of O-line vets brought in on the cheap.
                      He just didn't get much push on run blocking and was blown by on one 3rd down passing attempt that EJ had to scramble unsuccessfully.

Cyril Richardson is a rookie who doesn't look ready.

Crap!! It will be Legursky and/or Hairston again.

I wish we had drafted an OG in the 3rd round and waited on Preston Brown in the 4th.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I don't see them keeping only two QB's. IMO, if Lewis continues to suck, they bring in a vet late after other teams' cuts.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                          QB (2, 2) - EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel (Lewis has been garbage. Team keeps 2 QBs)
                          RB/FB (4, 6) - CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Anthony Davis, Bryce Brown (no FB - Davis, TEs and maybe OL fill the role. Summers is not a great blocker anyway)
                          WR (6, 12) - Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Hogan, Marcus Easley (Easley gets the last spot based on ST play)
                          TE (3, 15) - Scott Chandler, Lee Smith, Chris Gragg (Moeaki misses out)
                          OL (9, 24) - Cordy Glenn, Chris Williams, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Eric Pears, Cyrus Kouandjio, Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Doug Legursky (The depth guys can easily change. Legursky makes it as the back-up at all 3 interior positions)

DL (9, 33) - Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson, Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Jarius Wynn, Landon Cohen (Branch came in out of shape and has not impressed. Cohen beats him out and they keep the younger guys in Charles and Bryant)
                          LB (7, 40) - Nigel Bradham, Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers, Preston Brown, Randell Johnson, Ty Powell, Stevenson Sylvester
                          DB (9, 49 ) - Leodis McKelvin, Da, Norris Searcy, Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Corey Graham, Ross Cockrell, Nickell Robley, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks
                          ST (4, 53) - Dan Carpenter, Brian Moorman, Garrison Sandborn, Dustin Hopkins ( Yes - a KO guy. So far all but one KO has been a touchback and they drafted him. He also kicked well on FGs last pre-season so Hopkins sticks. If he goes it opens a spot up for Branch (especially if Dareus is suspended), Moeaki, Lewis or another DB)
                          Bubble guys from that are Pears, Richardson, Sylvester and Hopkins. Yet I don't watch closely last night he started at RT? As I thought I heard Pears' name with the 2s? To me Hairston wiser choice than Richardson as he can fit in at OG or OT. I might let go of Stevenson and might keep Rodriguez around for FB/TE depth. Also I can't see wasting a spot on Hopkins and instead keep Thad.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-09-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Like it. I would still keep Branch over Bryant.

Branch is a human double team and can play all 4 positions, once in shape. He played well last year.

Bryant is nothing special at all.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                              I remain uncomfortable with 3 rookie OLs and suspect one of them gets protected by the NFL's alphabet soup of injury designations.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X