Are The Bills Trying To Copy The Seahawks and Giants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Are The Bills Trying To Copy The Seahawks and Giants?

Copycat league.

In 2013 the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl with a very good defense and a good but not great quarterback in Russell Wilson.

Seattle's offense likes to pound the ball with Marshawn Lynch.

Russell Wilson throws the ball about 25 times per game.

Wilson threw for 3,357 yards, 26 TD's, 9 picks and had a 63% completion percentage last year and his rookie season was almost identical.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

If EJ Manuel's 2014 statistics are similar to Wilson's, I will be quite happy.

Jim Kelly was a great quarterback, but he only had 4 seasons with a completion percentage over 60%.

Checkout the latest stats for Jim Kelly. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Eli Manning is a great example.

Did the Seahawks copy the Giants recipe for success?

Excellent defense, good but not great quarterback.

Complete career NFL stats for New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

Eli Manning has a career completion percentage of 58.5%, has thrown 229 TD's and 171 Int's.

2 Super Bowls for Eli, one more than his brother Peyton who is one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL.

EJ Manuel had a 59% completion percentage in his rookie season, the same as Jim Kelly in 1986.

Eli Manning had a 48% completion percentage in his rookie season.

Peyton Manning had a 57% completion percentage in his rookie season.

The Giants and Seahawks have proven that NFL teams can win the Super Bowl without an, "elite," quarterback.

I think the Bengals are trying to follow the same road with Andy Dalton. He had a 58% completion percentage after his rookie year.

43-8. The Seahawks put an ass whipping on the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 48.
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Are The Bills Trying To Copy The Seahawks and Giants?

The easiest way to win in the NFL is with a strong defense, strong running game and average QB play. I mean I think everyone forgets how great the defense the Redskins and Cowboys defenses were that we faced in Super Bowls XXVI and Super Bowl XXVII and XXVIII because we all bought into how great the K-Gun offense was.

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

They are trying to be Steelers 2.0 since you know, they built that team too.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        Copycat league.

In 2013 the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl with a very good defense and a good but not great quarterback in Russell Wilson.

Wilson threw for 3,357 yards, 26 TD's, 9 picks and had a 63% completion percentage last year and his rookie season was almost identical.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Jim Kelly was a great quarterback, but he only had 4 seasons with a completion percentage over 60%.

Checkout the latest stats for Jim Kelly. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Complete career NFL stats for New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

Eli Manning has a career completion percentage of 58.5%, has thrown 229 TD's and 171 Int's.

2 Super Bowls for Eli, one more than his brother Peyton who is one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL.

EJ Manuel had a 59% completion percentage in his rookie season, the same as Jim Kelly in 1986.

The Giants and Seahawks have proven that NFL teams can win the Super Bowl without an, "elite," quarterback.

I think the Bengals are trying to follow the same road with Andy Dalton. He had a 58% completion percentage after his rookie year.

uh, at any given time, there are maybe 8-10 truly great QB's in the league. The rest of the league is trying to win using the great D/great running game/good enough QB formula because they have no choice.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DynaPaul
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          The easiest way to win in the NFL is with a strong defense, strong running game and average QB play. I mean I think everyone forgets how great the defense the Redskins and Cowboys defenses were that we faced in Super Bowls XXVI and Super Bowl XXVII and XXVIII because we all bought into how great the K-Gun offense was.
          And we all know how average Troy Aikman was.

Comment

• Mike
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
            Copycat league.

I think many homers have rose colored glasses when it comes to the Bills & dark shades when it comes to everyone else.

Russel Wilson:
            1) it doesn't sound like you have actually watching him play. He is phenomenal!

In fact no other QB in the history of the NFL has has a better start to his career! None! In other words , his play over his first 2 season in, has been Greatest of all Time!

2) Winning the SB: Wilson clearly outplayed Manning and when the game was still up in the air, Wilson moved the chains and put points on the board!!!

3) NFC Championship Game: Wilson was a clear difference maker and a huge part of the reason the Seahawks won that game. Remember that at one point SF was handing it to them, but Wilson lead a huge comeback in 2nd half!

Last But Not Least:
            1) Weapons: Wilson's WR are second rate at best. He doest have super WR! Harvin only played 1 entire game all last season. His rookie year was no different.
            2) Line: They have a good line & RB, which helps. But what really helps the RB is having a QB that can also stretch the field. Wilson prevents opponents from playing 9 in the box and when/if they do, he makes then pay.

Seahawlks are a COMPLETE TEAM! They have a great Defense, great RB & QB.
            Please Make Sense

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Defense wins championships. Period, end of story.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

I've been saying for a few years that the NFL marketing of this being a "passing league" was a paper dragon.

someone would reinvent the basics of running the ball and playing solid D.

Seattle was the first of that.

Heres oes hoping the Bills are next.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I don't think Seattle did anything differently than the Giants did during the transition to a passing league and they copped two rings in the process. Defense wins championships. Games are won in the trenches. It's always been that way, and until running the ball and tackling become completely illegal, it always will be.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    I think many homers have rose colored glasses when it comes to the Bills & dark shades when it comes to everyone else.

Russel Wilson:
                    1) it doesn't sound like you have actually watching him play. He is phenomenal!

In fact no other QB in the history of the NFL has has a better start to his career! None! In other words , his play over his first 2 season in, has been Greatest of all Time!

2) Winning the SB: Wilson clearly outplayed Manning and when the game was still up in the air, Wilson moved the chains and put points on the board!!!

3) NFC Championship Game: Wilson was a clear difference maker and a huge part of the reason the Seahawks won that game. Remember that at one point SF was handing it to them, but Wilson lead a huge comeback in 2nd half!

Last But Not Least:
                    1) Weapons: Wilson's WR are second rate at best. He doest have super WR! Harvin only played 1 entire game all last season. His rookie year was no different.
                    2) Line: They have a good line & RB, which helps. But what really helps the RB is having a QB that can also stretch the field. Wilson prevents opponents from playing 9 in the box and when/if they do, he makes then pay.

Seahawlks are a COMPLETE TEAM! They have a great Defense, great RB & QB.
                    Wilson outplayed Manning in the Super Bowl because the Seattle Defense outplayed the Denver Defense.

The Ravens & Buccaneers have also won the Super Bowl with great defense & average QB play.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

If it's winning they're trying to copy, I'm all for it.

There is no magic formula. Making the right plays at the right time wins games.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                        And we all know how average Troy Aikman was.
                        Most great QBs are products of great teams/franchises. I'll stand by this mantra until proven otherwise. Case in point, when did Kelly and the Bills start to turn things around? Only after we added guys like Wolford and Thurman.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          If it's winning they're trying to copy, I'm all for it.

There is no magic formula. Making the right plays at the right time wins games.
                          The formula is give your offense the chance to make those plays and yes if they make them you win if you don't you lose. The great QBs are remembered for the plays they made whereas all too often the plays his defense made to give him the chance are often overlooked. It's why it hurts me to say why I never deemed Kelly a great QB. As to me he messed up that final drive against the Giants and most of that game. People yell at how bad our defense was for not stopping the Giants but truth be told are offense was far worse that game for an inability to sustain drives. Then flash forward to the second Dallas Super Bowl. Odomes gets an INT late in the second half if Kelly could have somehow mustered a TD in that drive instead of settling for a FG that game might have turned into a win.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            Wilson outplayed Manning in the Super Bowl because the Seattle Defense outplayed the Denver Defense.

The Ravens & Buccaneers have also won the Super Bowl with great defense & average QB play.
                            I love the Ravens and Bucs examples...

If QB play did not matter, the Ravens would have never benched Tony Banks. They couldn't score with him with all their defense and running.

And the Bucs? Brad Johnson threw the ball around 35 times a game for that team. Was an All Pro. Threw 22 TDs vs 6 INTs in 13 games. Rushing? Michael Pittman didn't even crack 750 yards and lead the team.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              I love the Ravens and Bucs examples...

If QB play did not matter, the Ravens would have never benched Tony Banks. They couldn't score with him with all their defense and running.

And the Bucs? Brad Johnson threw the ball around 35 times a game for that team. Was an All Pro. Threw 22 TDs vs 6 INTs in 13 games. Rushing? Michael Pittman didn't even crack 750 yards and lead the team.
                              QB is important to winning and losing to a degree but it's still one of the most overrated positions in team sports. I mean I will argue to this day that Marino was a better QB than Kelly ever was but some here don't see it because the Bills were a better team than the Dolphins during that era.

Comment

Working...
                              X