So, what do we do if we need a QB next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICRockets
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2008

I don't think there's anything more to say about EJ Manuel for at least the next 3 weeks. At the very least, there's nothing interesting to say about him until we get to games that matter.

So it seems like the perfect time for a hypothetical: what do we do if he's not the guy?

What do you do with the tools we have at our disposal to look for a guy who we think can be the guy starting in 2015?

This isn't The Whiner Line. I'm not asking you to come ***** about the Sammy Watkins trade. I'm not asking for your humblebrags that you "knew" EJ wasn't the guy. I'm not asking for "well if we just took Wilson over TJ Graham" hindsight. I'm not asking for any bull****. I'm offering up a scenario: you don't have a first round draft pick, and you need a quarterback more than you need anything else on your team. Do you settle for a mid-rounder? Do you sell the farm and make a megadeal to move into the first? Do you wait to see if the guy you kinda-sorta want in round 2 drops to the mid-20s before pulling the trigger on a trade? Do you pursue a marquee free agent?

Personally, I want to know more about QBs who may fall to the 2nd round. I think we can find the next Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Russell Wilson.
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Re: So, what do we do if we need a QB next season?

Sometimes I question if I'm the only one who actually enjoys watching that games. I know ej could sucks.. Bills could go 2-14.. But how can you sit here mid august.. Real football in sight.. And you want to talk about next offseason? Offseason is 8 months to long.. Who wants to talk about next year offseasons in mid august?

Sorry for the rant it's just people on this board are getting sickening to read. There's very few left who offer actual discussion.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Yeah, keep the dream alive.

Comment

• ICRockets
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll View Post
        Sometimes I question if I'm the only one who actually enjoys watching that games. I know ej could sucks.. Bills could go 2-14.. But how can you sit here mid august.. Real football in sight.. And you want to talk about next offseason? Offseason is 8 months to long.. Who wants to talk about next year offseasons in mid august?

Sorry for the rant it's just people on this board are getting sickening to read. There's very few left who offer actual discussion.
        I don't think you get it. I'm not saying "it's over, EJ will never be the guy". I'm saying that there's just no possible way we're going to answer that question in the next 3 weeks. He can't make the playoffs in the preseason. He can't get voted to the Pro Bowl in the preseason. There are people who believe he's incapable of ever doing these things. All conversations about EJ Manuel in the next 3 weeks will be bombarded with comments from those people. I agree with you, those people are annoying. So let's stop talking about EJ Manuel.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
          I don't think you get it. I'm not saying "it's over, EJ will never be the guy". I'm saying that there's just no possible way we're going to answer that question in the next 3 weeks. He can't make the playoffs in the preseason. He can't get voted to the Pro Bowl in the preseason. There are people who believe he's incapable of ever doing these things. All conversations about EJ Manuel in the next 3 weeks will be bombarded with comments from those people. I agree with you, those people are annoying. So let's stop talking about EJ Manuel.
          I agree with you about the three weeks. There is nothing that hasn't been said about Manuel that will change over the next three weeks. He is what he is and that isn't going to change over the rest of the preseason. There's no use in complaining about it until the games count. The QB problem is not solely because Manuel will turn out to be the Donte Whitner of the offense (some good, but more not so good). It's because of what Whaley has failed to do behind him. In watching some of these other team's QBs play over the past couple of days you can se some teams have 2, if not 3, halfway decent QBs. I watched a bit of Phil Simm's kid play. He knows their offense and he's not terrible. (Cue the "but, but he played against scrubs" crowd). Lots of other guys looked ok too. Maybe one gets cut? Certainly not the long term answer (which is what I believe you asked about).

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Regardless of what happens this season, I'm keeping an eye on the waiver wire to see if any desirable QB's become available during the cuts from other teams during the preseason. If a guy is there that is an upgrade over Tuel/Lewis, I grab him. A front office should be looking to improve the roster at any time during the calendar year, and say what you want about Whaley and Co but that does seem to be the manner they attend to business.

I don't trade with another team, or back into the first. Next off-season evaluate and possibly grab a FA, and at the draft see who is available in the second or third.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

I put this here because it doesn't rate its' own thread...

I watched CLE@DET last night. The Man(zeil) love dispensed by the announcers was lusty. I gave it a 7 on the Tedy-Meter.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

Trade 2016's 1st round pick for a 1st next year and get it right.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                  Heh - why not? If deficit spending is good enough for governments, it's good enough for the Bills!
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Become religious and take up prayer.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      Heh - why not? If deficit spending is good enough for governments, it's good enough for the Bills!
                      Exactly... and then pray that somewhere along the line you catch up! It's not much different than people charging purchases on their credit cards.

Comment

• Fixxxer
                        • Jul 2002

I would seek a trade for Cousins.

Comment

• GingerP
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                          It would take more than that. They would need the following year's first plus something else to move up (depending how high they are trying to move, it could be a lot more). They only way that would be an option is if there is someone they really are hot for available.

That is the tough part about the draft, you don't know who would be available. You can say "take a QB with their 2nd", but if there isn't a player worth that you are screwing yourself worse. You can't manufacture a player of need in the draft, you have to try and draft a good player, and if you can fill a need that is better.

There may be a stop-gap available in FA, but you aren't going to find a long-term answer there. Those guys rarely get to FA, though if it happens they should pull out all the stops to make it happen. Usually it is a guy who performed at a high level in the past but had a injury and was replaced, like Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. If it happens, you take the risk.

Short of that, you can look to trade for a guy, but that is risky as well. You are trading for someone's backup, and who knows if the guy can fit on a team that wants him to be the guy. They would have to feel strongly about the guy.

There are no easy answers, because the fact is there are more teams than there are good QBs in the NFL. That is why they really need to find out if Manuel can be that guy, because they invested everything in him. The idea that people want to bring in another QB now or play a guy like Tuel is not the answer, EJ has to play this year to find out if he can develop into a guy they can depend on. You have to let him make his mistakes to see if he can play, because the options if he doesn't are not great.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Why worry?

We can always sign Ryan Mallett next offseason.

He was developed in N.E. you know.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
                              I don't think there's anything more to say about EJ Manuel for at least the next 3 weeks. At the very least, there's nothing interesting to say about him until we get to games that matter.

So it seems like the perfect time for a hypothetical: what do we do if he's not the guy?

What do you do with the tools we have at our disposal to look for a guy who we think can be the guy starting in 2015?

This isn't The Whiner Line. I'm not asking you to come ***** about the Sammy Watkins trade. I'm not asking for your humblebrags that you "knew" EJ wasn't the guy. I'm not asking for "well if we just took Wilson over TJ Graham" hindsight. I'm not asking for any bull****. I'm offering up a scenario: you don't have a first round draft pick, and you need a quarterback more than you need anything else on your team. Do you settle for a mid-rounder? Do you sell the farm and make a megadeal to move into the first? Do you wait to see if the guy you kinda-sorta want in round 2 drops to the mid-20s before pulling the trigger on a trade? Do you pursue a marquee free agent?

Personally, I want to know more about QBs who may fall to the 2nd round. I think we can find the next Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Russell Wilson.
                              We sold the farm to get Watkins. I know, you said you didn't want *****ing about the Watkins trade, but I'm not saying it to *****. I'm saying that if this scenario holds true and we do need a QB in 2015, I most likely would not sell the farm again. That only works if you are one piece away. The best option would be doing the following:

1. Find a journeyman guy who has some starting experience and can hold down the fort and maybe mentor. Derek Anderson was a FA this past year (although he ended up staying). Someone similar will be available, either in FA or by trading a mid-round pick.
                              2. Draft a mid-round QB (no higher than 3rd) and hope for the best.
                              3. Plan on moving up to get a big name QB in 2016.

It's certainly not an ideal scenario, but it is the least bad scenario if indeed EJ is a bust.

The only way I would sell the farm for a top QB in 2015 is if everything else goes damn near perfect this year. D is in the top 10, WR's lighting it up when EJ can get them the ball, bruising running game tearing up stats, etc, AND we don't lose any of the major pieces in the off-season. Then I would go for broke and try to get a top QB in 2015. But I don't see that happening.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X