PDA

View Full Version : So, what do we do if we need a QB next season?

ICRockets
08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
I don't think there's anything more to say about EJ Manuel for at least the next 3 weeks. At the very least, there's nothing interesting to say about him until we get to games that matter.

So it seems like the perfect time for a hypothetical: what do we do if he's not the guy?

What do you do with the tools we have at our disposal to look for a guy who we think can be the guy starting in 2015?

This isn't The Whiner Line. I'm not asking you to come ***** about the Sammy Watkins trade. I'm not asking for your humblebrags that you "knew" EJ wasn't the guy. I'm not asking for "well if we just took Wilson over TJ Graham" hindsight. I'm not asking for any bull****. I'm offering up a scenario: you don't have a first round draft pick, and you need a quarterback more than you need anything else on your team. Do you settle for a mid-rounder? Do you sell the farm and make a megadeal to move into the first? Do you wait to see if the guy you kinda-sorta want in round 2 drops to the mid-20s before pulling the trigger on a trade? Do you pursue a marquee free agent?

Personally, I want to know more about QBs who may fall to the 2nd round. I think we can find the next Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Russell Wilson.

BillsOwnAll
08-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Sometimes I question if I'm the only one who actually enjoys watching that games. I know ej could sucks.. Bills could go 2-14.. But how can you sit here mid august.. Real football in sight.. And you want to talk about next offseason? Offseason is 8 months to long.. Who wants to talk about next year offseasons in mid august?

Sorry for the rant it's just people on this board are getting sickening to read. There's very few left who offer actual discussion.

Skooby
08-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, keep the dream alive.

ICRockets
08-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Sometimes I question if I'm the only one who actually enjoys watching that games. I know ej could sucks.. Bills could go 2-14.. But how can you sit here mid august.. Real football in sight.. And you want to talk about next offseason? Offseason is 8 months to long.. Who wants to talk about next year offseasons in mid august?

Sorry for the rant it's just people on this board are getting sickening to read. There's very few left who offer actual discussion.

I don't think you get it. I'm not saying "it's over, EJ will never be the guy". I'm saying that there's just no possible way we're going to answer that question in the next 3 weeks. He can't make the playoffs in the preseason. He can't get voted to the Pro Bowl in the preseason. There are people who believe he's incapable of ever doing these things. All conversations about EJ Manuel in the next 3 weeks will be bombarded with comments from those people. I agree with you, those people are annoying. So let's stop talking about EJ Manuel.

swiper
08-10-2014, 05:14 AM
I don't think you get it. I'm not saying "it's over, EJ will never be the guy". I'm saying that there's just no possible way we're going to answer that question in the next 3 weeks. He can't make the playoffs in the preseason. He can't get voted to the Pro Bowl in the preseason. There are people who believe he's incapable of ever doing these things. All conversations about EJ Manuel in the next 3 weeks will be bombarded with comments from those people. I agree with you, those people are annoying. So let's stop talking about EJ Manuel.

I agree with you about the three weeks. There is nothing that hasn't been said about Manuel that will change over the next three weeks. He is what he is and that isn't going to change over the rest of the preseason. There's no use in complaining about it until the games count. The QB problem is not solely because Manuel will turn out to be the Donte Whitner of the offense (some good, but more not so good). It's because of what Whaley has failed to do behind him. In watching some of these other team's QBs play over the past couple of days you can se some teams have 2, if not 3, halfway decent QBs. I watched a bit of Phil Simm's kid play. He knows their offense and he's not terrible. (Cue the "but, but he played against scrubs" crowd). Lots of other guys looked ok too. Maybe one gets cut? Certainly not the long term answer (which is what I believe you asked about).

YardRat
08-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Regardless of what happens this season, I'm keeping an eye on the waiver wire to see if any desirable QB's become available during the cuts from other teams during the preseason. If a guy is there that is an upgrade over Tuel/Lewis, I grab him. A front office should be looking to improve the roster at any time during the calendar year, and say what you want about Whaley and Co but that does seem to be the manner they attend to business.

I don't trade with another team, or back into the first. Next off-season evaluate and possibly grab a FA, and at the draft see who is available in the second or third.

stuckincincy
08-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I put this here because it doesn't rate its' own thread...

I watched CLE@DET last night. The Man(zeil) love dispensed by the announcers was lusty. I gave it a 7 on the Tedy-Meter. :blowkiss:

DynaPaul
08-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Trade 2016's 1st round pick for a 1st next year and get it right.

stuckincincy
08-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Heh - why not? If deficit spending is good enough for governments, it's good enough for the Bills! :drive:

JoeMama
08-10-2014, 07:17 AM
So, what do we do if we need a QB next season?

Become religious and take up prayer.

DynaPaul
08-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Heh - why not? If deficit spending is good enough for governments, it's good enough for the Bills! :drive:

Exactly... and then pray that somewhere along the line you catch up! It's not much different than people charging purchases on their credit cards.

Fixxxer
08-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I would seek a trade for Cousins.

GingerP
08-10-2014, 07:52 AM

It would take more than that. They would need the following year's first plus something else to move up (depending how high they are trying to move, it could be a lot more). They only way that would be an option is if there is someone they really are hot for available.

That is the tough part about the draft, you don't know who would be available. You can say "take a QB with their 2nd", but if there isn't a player worth that you are screwing yourself worse. You can't manufacture a player of need in the draft, you have to try and draft a good player, and if you can fill a need that is better.

There may be a stop-gap available in FA, but you aren't going to find a long-term answer there. Those guys rarely get to FA, though if it happens they should pull out all the stops to make it happen. Usually it is a guy who performed at a high level in the past but had a injury and was replaced, like Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. If it happens, you take the risk.

Short of that, you can look to trade for a guy, but that is risky as well. You are trading for someone's backup, and who knows if the guy can fit on a team that wants him to be the guy. They would have to feel strongly about the guy.

There are no easy answers, because the fact is there are more teams than there are good QBs in the NFL. That is why they really need to find out if Manuel can be that guy, because they invested everything in him. The idea that people want to bring in another QB now or play a guy like Tuel is not the answer, EJ has to play this year to find out if he can develop into a guy they can depend on. You have to let him make his mistakes to see if he can play, because the options if he doesn't are not great.

better days
08-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Why worry?

We can always sign Ryan Mallett next offseason.

He was developed in N.E. you know.

OpIv37
08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't think there's anything more to say about EJ Manuel for at least the next 3 weeks. At the very least, there's nothing interesting to say about him until we get to games that matter.

So it seems like the perfect time for a hypothetical: what do we do if he's not the guy?

What do you do with the tools we have at our disposal to look for a guy who we think can be the guy starting in 2015?

This isn't The Whiner Line. I'm not asking you to come ***** about the Sammy Watkins trade. I'm not asking for your humblebrags that you "knew" EJ wasn't the guy. I'm not asking for "well if we just took Wilson over TJ Graham" hindsight. I'm not asking for any bull****. I'm offering up a scenario: you don't have a first round draft pick, and you need a quarterback more than you need anything else on your team. Do you settle for a mid-rounder? Do you sell the farm and make a megadeal to move into the first? Do you wait to see if the guy you kinda-sorta want in round 2 drops to the mid-20s before pulling the trigger on a trade? Do you pursue a marquee free agent?

Personally, I want to know more about QBs who may fall to the 2nd round. I think we can find the next Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Russell Wilson.

We sold the farm to get Watkins. I know, you said you didn't want *****ing about the Watkins trade, but I'm not saying it to *****. I'm saying that if this scenario holds true and we do need a QB in 2015, I most likely would not sell the farm again. That only works if you are one piece away. The best option would be doing the following:

1. Find a journeyman guy who has some starting experience and can hold down the fort and maybe mentor. Derek Anderson was a FA this past year (although he ended up staying). Someone similar will be available, either in FA or by trading a mid-round pick.
2. Draft a mid-round QB (no higher than 3rd) and hope for the best.
3. Plan on moving up to get a big name QB in 2016.

It's certainly not an ideal scenario, but it is the least bad scenario if indeed EJ is a bust.

The only way I would sell the farm for a top QB in 2015 is if everything else goes damn near perfect this year. D is in the top 10, WR's lighting it up when EJ can get them the ball, bruising running game tearing up stats, etc, AND we don't lose any of the major pieces in the off-season. Then I would go for broke and try to get a top QB in 2015. But I don't see that happening.

DraftBoy
08-10-2014, 08:57 AM
You draft and sign one. Same as you would if we didn't do the trade this past year as well.

GingerP
08-10-2014, 09:05 AM
One guy that might be intriguing that is a FA next year is Mark Sanchez. I know people are going to immediately have a negative reaction, but he showed early in his career he can win on a team with a good defense and run game. He is good in that type of system because he he runs play-action well and is good throwing on the run.

Sanchez had his struggles the last couple years in NY, but the team didn't handle him very well either. Reports this year from Philly are he is flourishing in camp, running Chip Kelly's up-tempo system. He is now 27, has had success and struggles in his career, with a good deal of starting experience. Even if he doesn't get to play this year, but demonstrates he is healthy again, there are a number of teams that will need QBs that will be interested in him.

SpikedLemonade
08-10-2014, 09:15 AM
If EJ is not the answer, then you are probably looking at a 4 or 5 win season.

In that scenario, I see a new owner simply cleaning house and bringing in his own people -- new GM, coaching staff, scouting staff, etc.

That is not what Pegula did with the Sabres, but I am assuming he learned his lesson there.

A complete rebuild would mean that 2015 would be a waste of a year and EJ probably gets to start that year as well since there is not good QB alternative.

YardRat
08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
lol...what a load of crap. Quit trying to make mountains out of molehills, for chrissake.

The Rams sold the farm for Ollie Matson.
Minnesota sold the farm for Herschel Walker.
Polian sold the farm for Biscuit.

Buffalo did not 'sell the farm' for Watkins.

Turf
08-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Its really a shame because IMO after a very brief showing, Manziel already looks better than Manuel. More accuracy, quicker decision making, and more athletic. This whole blockheaded EJ's our guy stuff, has got to end. We could have a better starter or backup in the 4th round this year. Just dumb stupid stubborn.

stuckincincy
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
lol...what a load of crap. Quit trying to make mountains out of molehills, for chrissake.

I'd like to officially start the Bills will trade for Brian Hoyer rumor. :plane:

IlluminatusUIUC
08-10-2014, 11:47 AM
It's hard to say what to do without knowing who will be available. The free agent list for 2015 isn't compelling (http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/) The only option there that looks halfway appealing is Matt Moore, but still. If our D and run game are firing on all cylinders we might be able to buy time with a stopgap QB like Moore or Campbell.

OpIv37
08-10-2014, 02:03 PM

If EJ busts, say that next year when we need a starting QB and can't get one til 2016.

WagonCircler
08-10-2014, 07:02 PM

They sold the barn and the tractors.

sudzy
08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Seriously, the first thing I would do is pay big buck for some front office personnel and scouts that actually know what a good QB looks like. Because the Bills haven't employed anybody like that for 20 years. Then I would tell them to do what ever it takes to get one.

Fletch
08-10-2014, 08:16 PM

You ask yourself why we are in this situation to start!

Clearly it's a problem. Then you ask yourself how to correct that problem.

Then you hope that something happens to correct it since you have absolutely no control over it.

Then, when the organization is finally forced to address the problem, since they won't do it before they're forced, either due to new ownership or the problem being so blatant that they can no longer ignore the outcry from fans and media without looking even more the fools that they are, we don't applaud equally bad moves if the next move is such a move. Instead, we hammer on the organization and let them know immediately that we're displeased.

But that won't happen either. Most people here will insist that the organization knows what they're doing because they're the experts and we're not, after all, just look at our track record, and how we owe them three or four more years to prove that just because they've been lame before coming here that they'll all of a sudden be better here.

It's a repetitive mental exercise here. Everyone knows the routine.

DynaPaul
08-10-2014, 08:42 PM
The lesson here is this - never put all your eggs in one basket for just one guy in a solo position.

psubills62
08-10-2014, 09:12 PM
If EJ is not the guy, find an adequate vet. There's usually a couple floating around at some point. Take a flier in later rounds on a QB. Let the vet and EJ battle it out the next year. Then in 2016 draft the next QB of the future.

That's about what we can hope for, IMO.

ICRockets
08-11-2014, 03:29 AM
If EJ is not the guy, find an adequate vet. There's usually a couple floating around at some point. Take a flier in later rounds on a QB. Let the vet and EJ battle it out the next year. Then in 2016 draft the next QB of the future.

That's about what we can hope for, IMO.

Why? Why can't we draft a guy in the 2nd round in 2015?

YardRat
08-11-2014, 05:11 AM
If EJ busts, say that next year when we need a starting QB and can't get one til 2016.

EJ Manual is a non-factor regarding your statement. Starting QB's can only be drafted in the first round? Really?

delectrolux
08-11-2014, 05:40 AM
I would try and sign either Alex Smith or Matt Moore, since they'll both be UFAs next year. Then I would draft a good QB in the second or third round depending on who's there.

The Jokeman
08-11-2014, 05:57 AM
The lesson here is this - never put all your eggs in one basket for just one guy in a solo position.

Well the Bills know that, I mean we might end up with two kickers on the final 53 man roster again.

trapezeus
08-11-2014, 07:31 AM
i like the original post and i get it's intent. I'm not going to predict EJ can't or won't. BUT if he does suck, then i think the bills need to consider the following:

1. are they committed to this coach and offense? if they are, then they can't just pick up a retread. they need to get someone who can run this offense. Who can maybe be seen as a threat when they run the read option. So just because a 5-8 year vet frees up, if he isn't a fit, it's not worth the headache of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

2. if we can't know anything about EJ until 3 weeks, when can we know what next year's QB draft class is? I say that kind of jokingly. if the class is deep (and that's hard to assess because at the start of last season, qb's were supposed to be plentiful and then by draft time the world hated all of them), then we have to hold our position and look at a QB at the second round. If it's just onecan't miss qb in the class and our defense looked elite, then you have to consider selling future assets again and moving up. As little as people want to believe it, or defense is built to win now potentilaly. so better to get an accurate passer with a good package of weapons on offense than to wait for a new rebuild. Also, if we have to do that, then we need to resign spiller because hte offense has to come as ready made and easy to execute for a young QB. No wholesale changes.

so in short, no taking any random qb just to say "we are getting better than what we had" and trading the farm really is dependent on how the rest of the teamm looked. That's how'd i'd approach it if i was on the front office team.

I think this thread will be interesting to visit during the season as we see EJ's progress or lack thereof.

The Jokeman
08-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Tom Brady's set to be an UFA. So is Carson Palmer (yet I wouldn't want him) and there'll be a bunch of "busts" out there like Sanchez, Gabbert, Locker or could go after a depth guy who was good briefly but just needs a full time chance like TJ Yates. Or we could maybe give a late round pick for a guy like Ponder. We could sign any one of them and also draft a guy in Rounds 3 or 4 to develop.

Fletch
08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Given this organization's front office history with QBs, and assuming EJ will be the bust that he projected from day one, who has any faith whatsoever that this team would fare well with a QB drafted in round 2 or later. Seriously now.

As to free agents, we must also ask ourselves which viable free agent QBs would choose to come to Buffalo.

Lastly, Jackson's not likely to be worth much after the season and could very well retire. Even if he doesn't he'll be a backup at best next season, assuming that he makes it through this season intact.

Spiller's on thin ice and probably 50/50 at best to even be here next season. So all of a sudden our world-class offensive backfield will be Brown and Dixon, who to date have collectively posted fewer than 1,400 rushing yards and 14 TDs in 6 combined seasons, an average of just over 200 yards and 2 TDs/season. Even if they re-sign Spiller he sucks on 3rd-downs still leaving the team without a 3-down RB.

So, nothing worthy of note in the backfield, no TE, a questionable secondary, and a linebacking corps that is weak against the pass with its only above average LB coming off of a serious injury and surgery.

Throw on top of that pile the need for QB and no 1st or 4th round pick in 2015, and we're more than a free-agent QB away from being good.

GingerP
08-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Tom Brady's set to be an UFA. So is Carson Palmer

Tom Brady is under contract through 2017. Carson Palmer is under contract through 2015.

better days
08-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Given this organization's front office history with QBs, and assuming EJ will be the bust that he projected from day one, who has any faith whatsoever that this team would fare well with a QB drafted in round 2 or later. Seriously now.

As to free agents, we must also ask ourselves which viable free agent QBs would choose to come to Buffalo.

Lastly, Jackson's not likely to be worth much after the season and could very well retire. Even if he doesn't he'll be a backup at best next season, assuming that he makes it through this season intact.

Spiller's on thin ice and probably 50/50 at best to even be here next season. So all of a sudden our world-class offensive backfield will be Brown and Dixon, who to date have collectively posted fewer than 1,400 rushing yards and 14 TDs in 6 combined seasons, an average of just over 200 yards and 2 TDs/season. Even if they re-sign Spiller he sucks on 3rd-downs still leaving the team without a 3-down RB.

So, nothing worthy of note in the backfield, no TE, a questionable secondary, and a linebacking corps that is weak against the pass with its only above average LB coming off of a serious injury and surgery.

Throw on top of that pile the need for QB and no 1st or 4th round pick in 2015, and we're more than a free-agent QB away from being good.

Any QB that is not under contract with an NFL team would be happy to come to Buffalo.

There are a LIMITED number of starting jobs for QB in the NFL & the Bills have a LOT of talent.

YardRat
08-12-2014, 05:26 AM

You might want to go through the rest of the league's 'front office history' regarding QB's.

Start with Kansas City.

Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys and Jim Kellys aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Historian
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Punt?

don137
08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Brian Hoyer is an option. He started playing well before his injury last year. With Manziel there I really doubt he will stay.

Fletch
08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Any QB that is not under contract with an NFL team would be happy to come to Buffalo.

There are a LIMITED number of starting jobs for QB in the NFL & the Bills have a LOT of talent.

What world do you live in?

For some reason here I'm envisioning a nice comfy chair with a huge bong on the coffee table next to it, and one that's constantly loaded with grass and from which you take your meals.

Otherwise, we don't know how much talent we have here. Watkins still hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, Woods hasn't proven that he's even average for an NFL WR yet, Goodwin isn't and won't, Mike Williams is very questionable too. To state those things as being factual has no basis at this time.

Fletch
08-12-2014, 09:25 AM
You might want to go through the rest of the league's 'front office history' regarding QB's.

Start with Kansas City.

Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys and Jim Kellys aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

The rest of league history doesn't matter. ICRockets spoke of taking a QB in the 2nd round. It's our draft history, particularly recent draft history with the clown-patrol in charge at OBD that matters.

The second best QB that Wilson's organization ever drafted was Ferguson, which isn't saying much. There isn't one starting QB that this organization drafted that has been any good besides Kelly.

Who seriously has any faith that this front office is ever going to draft a good QB, in round 1 or any round? Not me. You?

Fletch
08-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Brian Hoyer is an option. He started playing well before his injury last year. With Manziel there I really doubt he will stay.

Come on, these overreactions are ridiculous. Hoyer hasn't shown the NFL anything yet. He's thrown 192 passes in five seasons in the NFL on three different teams. 7 TDs, 6 INTs, very averaged compl. % and a low 6.4 ypa.

swiper
08-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Hoyer likely not a great option. Like a slightly better version of Thad Lewis.

Watch Phil Simms kid play for the Jets if you can. He gets the ball where it's supposed to go. Kirk Cousins doing that too.

Fletch
08-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Hoyer likely not a great option. Like a slightly better version of Thad Lewis.

Watch Phil Simms kid play for the Jets if you can. He gets the ball where it's supposed to go. Kirk Cousins doing that too.

At the end of the day we just don't know. Hoyer is the exact type of QB that we'll sign and then rely on when he hasn't proven a thing. We knew more about Fitzpatrick and look at the time and money wasted on him.

The topic of this thread was ...

So, what do we do if we need a QB next season?

The question should be what do we do if we need a QB this season.

One thing that has to come to an abrupt halt is this support for Whaley. He should check into Gamblers Annonymous right now.

Mike
08-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Its really a shame because IMO after a very brief showing, Manziel already looks better than Manuel. More accuracy, quicker decision making, and more athletic. This whole blockheaded EJ's our guy stuff, has got to end. We could have a better starter or backup in the 4th round this year. Just dumb stupid stubborn.

This is usually the price a team pays for so I can draw QB, that price being OPPORTUNITY COST!

JP cost us Rogers
EJ cost us Johhny Football who already looks light years ahead of EJ!

ServoBillieves
08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
This is usually the price a team pays for so I can draw QB, that price being OPPORTUNITY COST!

JP cost us Rogers
EJ cost us Johhny Football who already looks light years ahead of EJ!

Manziel has played 1 preseason game in the NFL. I... ow... my head...

Mike
08-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Manziel has played 1 preseason game in the NFL. I... ow... my head...

I guess it really goes to show what I think of EJ.

However, you have to admit that in his first game as a rookie playing vs Detroit Johnny Football looked way better than EJ did in his fist preseason game vs the Giants -and this is a vet were talking about!

Mike
08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
If EJ Blows this year, and he probably will, this is what the Bills should do.

Make the Homers happy! Give EJ a third year and put everything on him. Throw him in the DEEP End and make it up to him to sink or swim. Chances are he will drown and the Bills will, foreseeable, Finnish with a whopping 2-14 record, clean house and take the best QB in that years class.

And if the Bills have any hope, this QB will be a great prospect, a Luck type prospect. A prospect that justify all of the blind faith the homers have in rookies and for once, and I really hope this happens, they will be right (of course we all know better -great talent wins not fan's fait). And this rookie QB will have ups and downs however will show us something, something substantial and finally by 2020 the Bills will be a real contender -Like SB contender not some 9-7 Bull**** team that gets knocked out in the first round.

better days
08-12-2014, 05:18 PM
What world do you live in?

For some reason here I'm envisioning a nice comfy chair with a huge bong on the coffee table next to it, and one that's constantly loaded with grass and from which you take your meals.

Otherwise, we don't know how much talent we have here. Watkins still hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, Woods hasn't proven that he's even average for an NFL WR yet, Goodwin isn't and won't, Mike Williams is very questionable too. To state those things as being factual has no basis at this time.

Well, you are an IDIOT. Mike Williams & Robert Woods have absolutely shown they have the ability to be starters in the NFL.

Watkins has shown enough already for anyone with two eyes to see he will be a VERY GOOD receiver in the NFL & every "expert' that has seen him in preseason has said that.

Goodwin absolutely has the ability to play in the NFL & has shown that last year.

Your post just proves you know absolutely NOTHING about American football.

better days
08-12-2014, 05:24 PM
If EJ Blows this year, and he probably will, this is what the Bills should do.

Make the Homers happy! Give EJ a third year and put everything on him. Throw him in the DEEP End and make it up to him to sink or swim. Chances are he will drown and the Bills will, foreseeable, Finnish with a whopping 2-14 record, clean house and take the best QB in that years class.

And if the Bills have any hope, this QB will be a great prospect, a Luck type prospect. A prospect that justify all of the blind faith the homers have in rookies and for once, and I really hope this happens, they will be right (of course we all know better -great talent wins not fan's fait). And this rookie QB will have ups and downs however will show us something, something substantial and finally by 2020 the Bills will be a real contender -Like SB contender not some 9-7 Bull**** team that gets knocked out in the first round.

Here is a clue for you Mike, the Bills are putting everything on EJ THIS YEAR, throwing him in the deep end. Sink or Swim.

And I don't care how terrible EJ plays, there is no reason in the world they should finish with less than 6 wins.

better days
08-12-2014, 05:27 PM

However, you have to admit that in his first game as a rookie playing vs Detroit Johnny Football looked way better than EJ did in his fist preseason game vs the Giants -and this is a vet were talking about!

And MAnziel played against SCRUBS while EJ played against the #1 team.

ANYONE with any knowledge of football would know that makes a HUGE difference.

ICRockets
08-12-2014, 11:09 PM

EJ vs Colts > Manziel vs Lions.

Night Train
08-13-2014, 08:13 AM
The Cleveland beat reporter was on ESPN the other day stating Manziel has to improve dramatically to be effective or he will get killed.

I'll just let the games speak for themselves, in regards to QB effectiveness. So much has to do with coaching and how they match the QB's skill set to an effective game plan.

Mike
08-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Here is a clue for you Mike, the Bills are putting everything on EJ THIS YEAR, throwing him in the deep end. Sink or Swim.

And I don't care how terrible EJ plays, there is no reason in the world they should finish with less than 6 wins.

So how many wins DID you officially predict?

swiper
08-24-2014, 04:49 AM
So how many wins DID you officially predict?

Watching that game yesterday, I was loving the defense... until the Buccaneers started scoring. Then after a few series of watching the Bills offense I said to myself, "I wonder if this team will win any games this year."

BleedinGreenNC
08-24-2014, 12:38 PM
One guy that might be intriguing that is a FA next year is Mark Sanchez. I know people are going to immediately have a negative reaction, but he showed early in his career he can win on a team with a good defense and run game. He is good in that type of system because he he runs play-action well and is good throwing on the run.

Sanchez had his struggles the last couple years in NY, but the team didn't handle him very well either. Reports this year from Philly are he is flourishing in camp, running Chip Kelly's up-tempo system. He is now 27, has had success and struggles in his career, with a good deal of starting experience. Even if he doesn't get to play this year, but demonstrates he is healthy again, there are a number of teams that will need QBs that will be interested in him.

Oh boy i needed a good laugh this morning, i would love for the Bills to sign MS.