PDA

View Full Version : Roth: Pegula tops this list of potential Bills owners

Woodman
08-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Nobody can predict with certainly who the new owner of the Bills will be. But I can predict this: He'll be a billionaire, and he'll have overpaid for the team Forbes valued at $870 million because, to the delight of Wilson's heirs, a lot of powerful men with egos have entered the bidding war.

Pegula's initial non-binding bid was reportedly for $1.3 billion and Trump's for $1 billion (cash). As buyers obtain more intimate details of the Bills' financial workings and meet face-to-face with a team representing Wilson's estate, it will soon be time to show their cards in the form of binding final bids. But even those are subject to being driven higher.

And when the sale of the Bills breaks the record $1.1 billion paid for the Miami Dolphins in 2009, the NFL's other 31 owners will be thanking Ralph Wilson's family and ultimately the new guy, gal or grossly rich financial entity for instantly putting more value into all of their franchises.

Here's ranking the Bills' owner candidates, either outed by the media or by themselves. (Trump and Bon Jovi apparently broke the non-disclosure agreement, like they care):

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2014/08/09/two-bills-drive/13847665/

GO TERRY GO!!

SpikedLemonade
08-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Pegula's initial non-binding bid was reportedly for $1.3 billion and Trump's for $1 billion (cash).

We now know those amounts were wrongly grossly inflated.

Woodman
08-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I believe the team sells over the 1.1 Billion mark.

The final deal is all that matters, these early numbers that we hear make no difference and are no more than a starting point.

Skooby
08-10-2014, 02:27 PM

No we don't, there's nothing concrete except that we have multiple conflicting reports.

Novacane
08-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Depends on which source you choose to believe. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

SpikedLemonade
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Tim Graham and the guy from Forbes are both saying the same thing now.

Skooby
08-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Why was JBJ offer too low & Trump's OK ?

SpikedLemonade
08-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Perhaps JBLs first offer was even lower than Trump's $800M+ offer and they now increased it to $900M+.

The JBL first offer (and second I believe) also needed better non-relocation assurances.

Mace
08-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Can be a matter of simple cash. Pegula or Trump can write a check, the JBJ offer as far as everything I've read cannot just do so, they need offer tangible assets. The NFL also has requirements about how much percentage you need borrow to make price. JBJ is backed by corporations and people not necessarily flush with liquid money, Rodgers owns an awful lot that belongs to many people as a corporation.

I think that too is why Gundlach essentially applied to be a minority owner. They have low amounts of stable tangible assets unlike a Trump or Pegula, who could have shorted an initial no binding bid based on simple checking account balance, without including their ample tangible assets behind it.

Skooby
08-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Can be a matter of simple cash. Pegula or Trump can write a check, the JBJ offer as far as everything I've read cannot just do so, they need offer tangible assets. The NFL also has requirements about how much percentage you need borrow to make price. JBJ is backed by corporations and people not necessarily flush with liquid money, Rodgers owns an awful lot that belongs to many people as a corporation.

I think that too is why Gundlach essentially applied to be a minority owner. They have low amounts of stable tangible assets unlike a Trump or Pegula, who could have shorted an initial no binding bid based on simple checking account balance, without including their ample tangible assets behind it.

Pegula is liquid for sure, anyone else I'm not sure.

Don't Panic
08-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I believe the team sells over the 1.1 Billion mark.

I agree. I'd call 1.2 billion the over/under mark if I was setting one. I think it will come in right at that point, maybe a touch less.

DynaPaul
08-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Basically you're buying the Bills AND a new stadium.

Jry44
08-11-2014, 06:24 AM

The NY Times (or was it the post) , The Buffalo News, NBC, and now Forbes have all reported completely different numbers. How can we believe any of the reported numbers? All four are credible sources too. Part of me thinks these varying reports are intentional as these " sources" are using the media to create interest and drive up the bids.

What we do know is that after the initial reports of the Trump and Pegula bids came out, reports of the trust wanting more bids came out, and now all of a sudden Trump and Pegulas bids weren't high enough to scare other bidders away! It's all a big, maddening game. And all we can do is sit back and watch.

better days
08-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Tim Graham & the guy from Forbes are both IDIOTS.

Woodman
08-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Somebody is wrong.

I agree with the numbers Don't Panic has predicted somewhere very near 1.2 Billion tad more or less.

swiper
08-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Why do you all care so much?

Typ0
08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I know very little about tax law that does not apply to me ... but I certainly believe the way this is going down RW has specific instructions in the trust that protect his estate wealth. One of those things could have to do with property and a new stadium. I am not sure if they can inflate the sale price but protect part of the revenues from tax by placing them in assets. Let's say the team sells for 1.7B but 5B is lumped into a fund for a stadium and another 5B goes into a property fund that Wilson's widow holds the paper on...so the net gain number is 7B not the 1.7. The tax lawyers will have to weigh in on this one. I would say the fact that outside bidders are seriously discouraged indicates some sort of language in there that makes it prohibitive. Just thinking out loud trying to ferret out some ideas ...

Fletch
08-11-2014, 06:49 PM

We're still working on the notion that if a lie is told often enough it eventually becomes the truth.

Kinda like what's happening with EJ and Whaley.

Fletch
08-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Somebody is wrong.

LMAO

Ya think.

The only thing more comical than the circus that this has become, in honor of the trust set up by the late owner who ran the team in the same exact circus manner, are the revolving door reactions here.

mrbojanglezs
08-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Tim is doing a very good job covering this story you can tell he is putting 100% of his effort towards it. Him and John Kryk in Toronto have been very good.

Mace
08-11-2014, 08:55 PM
The first round was just qualifying to qualify.

Graham has been doing a great job really. Kryk also, yes.

The initial non binding bids don't matter so much. They qualified to qualify by showing the means.

Next round separates the men from the boys. "Well ok, I said 900 million, I can write you a check for whatever and you know it now. 1.3 won't hurt me, 1.5, maybe I'll go 2.....how about the others ? Weed out the 1.2's and get back to me."

Dr. Lecter
08-14-2014, 06:10 AM
From Tim Graham

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 10h

Educated source once involved in Bills sales process says team is "Pegula's to lose" and Bon Jovi group is "unfocused and disorganized."

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham · 10h

Same source as earlier tweet tells me Bills will be in Western New York "for a very, very long time whether they get a new stadium or not."