PDA

View Full Version : Speculation based on SJ13 interview: EJ was working on half the field last year

ghz in pittsburgh
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.si.com/stevie-johnson-san-francisco-49ers-training-camp

From the quote below talking about Kap, I can't help thinking he's comparing him to Manuel:

With No. 7, you know anybody can get the ball at any time. He’s not locked in on one side. It’s great to play with a quarterback like Kaepernick, with that kind of arm.

And that explains the big jump from college to Pro for EJ and looks like Marrone and Co. kept a tight leash on EJ.

I venture to guess that they are not going to have EJ run the full playbook again this season, probably not like limiting to 1/2 the field, but maybe limited options. So it may be option 1, 2 and run; or option 1,2, 3 and run instead 4th or 5th options available to him.

Back to what everyone said, EJ is a project. The question is whether we can win while he develops.

Right now he seems to go through rookie QB growing pain stage: telegraphing his passes like locking onto his receivers. Perhaps it is not such a surprise Mike Willaims who can win physical battles and catch high balls is emerging as his favorate target; and the management certainly hopes Watkins who's big YAC ability to make it easier for him, whereas Stevie who relies more on his wits and unconventional style will be more difficult for EJ.

feldspar
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Stevie said nothing of the kind directly.

better days
08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
And unless you have a GREAT OL, no QB has the time to look at a 4th or 5th option.

I am all for getting the ball out quick myself, let the receivers make the plays.

And the Bills now have the receivers to do just that.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2014, 02:32 PM
He only looks at one guy the entire play anyway.

kishoph
08-11-2014, 03:12 PM
And unless you have a GREAT OL, no QB has the time to look at a 4th or 5th option.

I am all for getting the ball out quick myself, let the receivers make the plays.

And the Bills now have the receivers to do just that.

"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable. One, the Bills have been running 2 receiver sets some of the time in the preseason, you don't have a lot of options with a 2 receiver set. Two just because you don't see his head flopping from left to right doesn't mean he's not scanning the field. Finally, if he sees what he likes with his first option, what sense would it make to look somewhere else. The Bills have the receivers that can get separation, Manuel does need to get the ball to them on time, last season he did struggle waiting till the receiver was open instead of anticipating and trusting the receiver, but it seems that it's something he has worked on since then and is making throws that he didn't attempt last year.

stuckincincy
08-11-2014, 03:19 PM
"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable. One, the Bills have been running 2 receiver sets some of the time in the preseason, you don't have a lot of options with a 2 receiver set. Two just because you don't see his head flopping from left to right doesn't mean he's not scanning the field. Finally, if he sees what he likes with his first option, what sense would it make to look somewhere else. The Bills have the receivers that can get separation, Manuel does need to get the ball to them on time, last season he did struggle waiting till the receiver was open instead of anticipating and trusting the receiver, but it seems that it's something he has worked on since then and is making throws that he didn't attempt last year.

I'll hazard a guess here and you can respond with the usual self-important denigrations you heap on any one that dares question your utterances - I'm used to it by now.

My guess is that any casual fan who watched the HOF game and stumbled upon the BUF@CAR contest might have wondered why BUF is playing a 3rd string camp fodder QB so long.

better days
08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll hazard a guess here and you can respond with the usual self-important denigrations you heap on any one that dares question your utterances - I'm used to it by now.

My guess is that any casual fan who watched the HOF game and stumbled upon the BUF@CAR contest might have wondered why BUF is playing a 3rd string camp fodder QB so long.

Because Tuel has shown promise.

Famous Amos
08-11-2014, 03:28 PM
In regards to looking elsewhere when the QB likes his first option: a good QB has the ability to look off the defender and still go to his preferred target.

better days
08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
In regards to looking elsewhere when the QB likes his first option: a good QB has the ability to look off the defender and still go to his preferred target.

Even a good QB can not do that when he has a bad OL in front of him as EJ did last year.

Look at Eli's numbers I posted from last year.

Dr. Who
08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Because Tuel has shown promise.

Great answer to a jerk question.

kishoph
08-11-2014, 07:27 PM

If it looks like a pig, oinks like a pig and post like a pig, I'll call it a pig.

The second part of your post you'll have to reword, because I think you got all excited thinking you were posting something brilliant and just posted gibberish.

Fletch
08-11-2014, 07:37 PM
"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable.

LMAO

Some of you are an absolute laugh riot.

Yeah, so is "putting the ball where it belongs." He can't even master that simplest of tasks.

You're right though, it's us.

- - - Updated - - -

If it looks like a pig, oinks like a pig and post like a pig, I'll call it a pig.

You shouldn't talk about Manuel's play like that.

Fletch
08-11-2014, 07:38 PM
By the way, are we talking about Trent Edwards here, or Manuel.

The talking points on the side of the homers seem to be identical.

BertSquirtgum
08-11-2014, 07:56 PM
"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable.

Not really. He didn't go through any progressions last year. Stared down one person the entire time. He did look at more than one receiver running routes a few plays this last preseason game. I was surprised.

don137
08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Kaepernick always locks onto one receiver. Kind of funny SJ said that.

Ingtar33
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM

From the quote below talking about Kap, I can't help thinking he's comparing him to Manuel:

With No. 7, you know anybody can get the ball at any time. He’s not locked in on one side. It’s great to play with a quarterback like Kaepernick, with that kind of arm.

And that explains the big jump from college to Pro for EJ and looks like Marrone and Co. kept a tight leash on EJ.

I venture to guess that they are not going to have EJ run the full playbook again this season, probably not like limiting to 1/2 the field, but maybe limited options. So it may be option 1, 2 and run; or option 1,2, 3 and run instead 4th or 5th options available to him.

Back to what everyone said, EJ is a project. The question is whether we can win while he develops.

Right now he seems to go through rookie QB growing pain stage: telegraphing his passes like locking onto his receivers. Perhaps it is not such a surprise Mike Willaims who can win physical battles and catch high balls is emerging as his favorate target; and the management certainly hopes Watkins who's big YAC ability to make it easier for him, whereas Stevie who relies more on his wits and unconventional style will be more difficult for EJ.

1 read offense typically means the QB only looks at half the field. At least that's what it means in play-action. Stevie's not saying anything we didn't already know. EJ was running a 1 read offense last year... he's still running one this year.

Skooby
08-12-2014, 06:54 PM

I'm a little lost as to how you tied this together, please highlight for a simple person such as myself.

Yasgur's Farm
08-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Thread title changed to include "speculation".

Goobylal
08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Stevie is saying that Kaep has the arm strength to deliver the ball anywhere, even if he's on one side of the field and the receiver is on the other. As for Kaep, he looked like crap his first year, as well as in pre-season of his 2nd, which is why Alex Smith started the first 9 games of that season. And give me a defense that allows just 17 PPG any day.