PDA

View Full Version : Poloncarz: “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab”

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Polancarz sounds off on new Bills stadium
County Executive Mark Poloncarz shared his thoughts on the idea of a new stadium for the Buffalo Bills. Polancarz told the Buffalo News that he isn't sold that the team needs one.

“They have to prove to me that the Bills can’t be viable in Ralph Wilson Stadium,” Poloncarz told The News. “If we’re going to have to build a new stadium, I want so see something that really proves we need a new stadium.”

The County Executive, who participated in the negotiation for the Bills' new lease, said he does not want to dip into other funds to provide a stadium.

“I’m not going to cut libraries, I’m not going to cut parks, I’m not going to cut Child Protective Services to give more money to the multibillionaires who run professional football.”

“I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.

http://www.wgr550.com/Polancarz-sounds-off-on-new-Bills-stadium/19665252

Odd timing.

Fletch
08-13-2014, 08:57 AM
All of a sudden he's conscientious about spending taxpayer money. I think that the reality here is that he doesn't see any option for keeping the team here insofar as the county goes. He's merely trying to avoid looking bad and trying to save his political capital. The state doesn't seem to be far behind.

He's either stupid or lying, which being a politician is probably the latter. Our stadium is low-end by modern standards. It doesn't matter what we want or would be satisfied with, the NFL has its standards and we don't live up to them. I'd be perfectly fine with an old-school stadium and no frills, and even if all of us agreed, that wouldn't matter.

Goodell (aka the NFL) has made it beyond clear that we need a new stadium, so we need a new stadium if the team expects to remain here long term. By 2020 it will seem even less up to NFL standards.

One thing not being discussed here, at least not that I've seen, is the possibility as remote as it may be, that the NFL actually prefers that the team does move despite their statements to the contrary. I don't think that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

OpIv37
08-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Apparently Poloncarz has never been to a sports venue outside of Buffalo, NY.

The Ralph is fine for diehard football fans who just want to go watch a game, but the NFL saturated that market years ago. They are going after amenities to entice rich people and companies to spend lots of money on luxury boxes, higher quality food and drink, etc, and experiences and novelties to attract more casual fans, and the Ralph doesn't hold up.

The league has changed and the Ralph hasn't been able to keep up. Personally, I don't like most of the changes but they are the reality, and if Buffalo can't change with the times then the NFL will do everything they can to put the team somewhere else.

Also, Poloncarz seems to be confusing the issue of need for a new stadium with the issue of whether it's wise to spend public funds on a new stadium.

ParanoidAndroid
08-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Erie County stands to lose the most from a transition to a privately owned stadium since they will lose the lease and it also will have an abandoned stadium to either repurpose or demolish which will cost them millions.

Fletch
08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Erie County stands to lose the most from a transition to a privately owned stadium since they will lose the lease and it also will have an abandoned stadium to either repurpose or demolish which will cost them millions.

The thing is that it's going to be a lot harder to demolish than traditional stadiums which just have to be stripped and then demolished. In this case demolishing will require excavating 75% of it out of the ground, which will be a whole lot more expensive. Breaking up all that concrete in the ground would have to be very time consuming. Maybe they would just dynamite it all like they do with rock formations when they build roadways.

I don't know if simply taking off the upper decks would be an option, still, what would it be used for?

Instead of this stupid short-term renovation Wilson should have had the foresight to work with someone, or a new owner, to build a new stadium. I have to think that it could have been negotiated when they negotiated that renovation and lease.

trapezeus
08-13-2014, 09:46 AM
this is entirely political posturing. every stadium deal, not just specific to buffalo, has a lot of political back and forth. i wouldn't read too much into it.

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Apparently Poloncarz has never been to a sports venue outside of Buffalo, NY.

The Ralph is fine for diehard football fans who just want to go watch a game, but the NFL saturated that market years ago. They are going after amenities to entice rich people and companies to spend lots of money on luxury boxes, higher quality food and drink, etc, and experiences and novelties to attract more casual fans, and the Ralph doesn't hold up.

The league has changed and the Ralph hasn't been able to keep up. Personally, I don't like most of the changes but they are the reality, and if Buffalo can't change with the times then the NFL will do everything they can to put the team somewhere else.

Also, Poloncarz seems to be confusing the issue of need for a new stadium with the issue of whether it's wise to spend public funds on a new stadium.
I have been to about 10 away Bills games.

None blew me away at all.

In fact I have been told by a few people that are involved with the current restoration that it will be a huge improvement.

Buffalogic
08-13-2014, 10:11 AM
New stadium means outside dollars coming into Buffalo that probably wouldn't have been there otherwise. A new stadium would be fantastic for regional growth and tourism. It is more than just football.

OpIv37
08-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I have been to about 10 away Bills games.

None blew me away at all.

In fact I have been told by a few people that are involved with the current restoration that it will be a huge improvement.

I've only been to two.

FedEx in DC blows. It was designed looking backward and looks like a stadium from the 70's even though it's only about 15 years old.

M&T bank stadium in Balt is a much better experience but it didn't blow me away either.

Here's the problem though: people like you and me are going to buy outdoor tickets and sit out in the elements and yell the whole game. Give us good sight lines, a good video replay board, and visible score boards with time and down and distance info, and we are set.

The people the NFL wants to be blown away are the people who are more casual football fans who need something beyond the game to show up, or people who are going to shell out for luxury boxes or club seats.

I've never been in a luxury box for football, but I would venture to guess that a luxury box experience in Buffalo doesn't even compare to one in Dallas People like you and me don't care, but the people that the NFL wants to impress do care.

DraftBoy
08-13-2014, 11:36 AM
The NFL's goal with stadiums has nothing to do with actual fans, they know they have that market no matter what the stadiums are like.

They are trying to reach the casual fans and create an environment at the stadium around the game that can bring in more people and more money. You'll see a number of NFL stadiums now include entire vendor stations (and some video boards) dedicated to Fantasy Football. As a a hardcore fan you probably can't imagine going to a Bills game to leave your seat, walk to the fantasy football lounge and watch a few other teams play at the same time but that's how it will work in a number of stadiums this year.

stuckincincy
08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
[h=1]

“I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.[/I]

...said one of the leaders of our vast public sector elite class with near-unlimited taxing authority. LOL.

trapezeus
08-13-2014, 11:42 AM
i've been to metlife. it's pretty spectacular with the 4 score boards, if you sit in the seats i have at the ralph at metlife, it's amazing.

1. seperate and more entrances. No long lines to get in.
2. you enter into a large box that has a ton of concessions and lounge chairs and tvs. therefore, you can sit inside and watch some of the game, or watch the game as you are getting food.
3. they have a jets wine and wine bar. would be cool if a finger lake winery sponsored a bills wine that you could buy
4. plenty of bathrooms and no troughs.
5. the box you go to your seat has plenty of ways to enter and exit. therefore at the end of the game, the smaller rows have more exits and don't get bottle necked. it's pretty smooth exit to your car or train.
6. the box is so large that it comfortably holds the entire seating section its meant for. i was at a game where there was a rain delay and everyone moved in because of the lightning and it wasn't crowded, you could still get food, could watch highlights of other games. it made the rain delay a lot more bearable than just waiting for the game to start again.

Bill Cody
08-13-2014, 11:53 AM
This whole new stadium thing is a revenue grab. It's utterly ridiculous and unnecessary. If the NFL wants new stadiums every 5 minutes they should pony up for them. Or the billionaire owners. The days of tax payers funding these tributes to excess are pretty much over. The state should help with some infrastructure and that's it.

ServoBillieves
08-13-2014, 01:23 PM
In my young life, I've been to a few away stadiums. Each one has it's draw; NFL football. The locations, the "upgrades" I've witnessed over the years, it's all as DB stated, a new draw. "Oh, we just put $250 million in to Bank of America." You know what difference I noticed? There's now an escalator to the nosebleeds and a much larger screen. It's the promise to the taxpayers ($125 Million from the city of Charlotte's taxpayers) that if you go and see the hometown team, your investment was worth it. Thus Preferred Parking gets revenue, local enforcement venues get jobs, et cetera and so forth.

To the diehards (as per Op's point) these things go unnoticed. I'm not watching the super-mega-ultra-jumbotron, I'm watching what's on the field. I could've saved myself $200+ if I wanted to watch the game on a TV screen, but I digress... We aren't the ones shelling out hundreds/thousands for corporate boxes. I personally have been in a corporate box a few times at Three Rivers, Ralph Wilson, Heinz Field, and to a much lesser extent (and not football) PNC Park. I do not see the draw. They're fancy, sure, and they are expensive (although we didn't pay a dime) but if I'm going for the game, I'm going for the game, I'm not going with possible business partners. Now, as for the everyday fan:

Heinz Field: Few entrances, very crowded, poor parking, felt like the stadium was going to collapse at any moment. The field is poor, but as some Pittsburgh fans proudly stated, "it's built like the city. Rugged and tough." Ok. Vantage points were good, not really a bad seat in the house. Women talking about TV shows the entire game behind me.
Qualcomm Stadium: There are no redeeming qualities of this stadium, and I think anyone who has been there agrees. THIS is a stadium that needs to be torn down and that is a team that needs to get a new stadium. Currently holds a 3 star rating on Yelp. Parking was a nightmare.
Bank of America Field: Before and after renovations, pretty much the same. Excellent seating arrangements and plenty of room in the corridors. Entering is a hassle, and some seats give poor vantage of the field. Parking is OK for a downtown stadium, plenty of it.

I see his point; The Ralph draws a crowd. As long as there are Bills fans, they will flock, but for those who want the fancy, high class **** (and for The Dark One's pocketbook) they'll demand a new stadium.

Sissies.

GingerP
08-13-2014, 01:23 PM
“I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.

Um... of course they are, is that a surprise? That is what the NFL is about.

better days
08-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I've only been to two.

FedEx in DC blows. It was designed looking backward and looks like a stadium from the 70's even though it's only about 15 years old.

M&T bank stadium in Balt is a much better experience but it didn't blow me away either.

Here's the problem though: people like you and me are going to buy outdoor tickets and sit out in the elements and yell the whole game. Give us good sight lines, a good video replay board, and visible score boards with time and down and distance info, and we are set.

The people the NFL wants to be blown away are the people who are more casual football fans who need something beyond the game to show up, or people who are going to shell out for luxury boxes or club seats.

I've never been in a luxury box for football, but I would venture to guess that a luxury box experience in Buffalo doesn't even compare to one in Dallas People like you and me don't care, but the people that the NFL wants to impress do care.

Well, I knew a woman when I was single that worked for a Company that owned a box & she had access to it.

The deal with the luxury box is the company that rents it also furnishes it & hires the catering company to provide the food for it.

In other words, the box can be as nice as the company renting it wants it to be.

OpIv37
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, I knew a woman when I was single that worked for a Company that owned a box & she had access to it.

The deal with the luxury box is the company that rents it also furnishes it & hires the catering company to provide the food for it.

In other words, the box can be as nice as the company renting it wants it to be.

And you don't think Delaware North or some similar company would offer high end catering from directly within the stadium (for a small LARGE CONVENIENCE FEE) if the market was there?

Come on man- you can't possibly be naive enough to not see the marketing opportunity there.

I was lucky enough to sit in a luxury box for a concert at the Verizon Center (in DC where the Caps and Wizards play) for a concert one time. The company that owned the box had to provide their own catering. They got it from the same company that had the vending contract for the arena.

Mace
08-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Politicking and positioning, the necessary dance begins.

I think we all know the improvements were to hold the line until we make something better, which, NY being NY will take years.

And everyone, State, county, NFL, owner will do the public happy dance when we do and find something cool to do with the old one if they are smart, and they should already be thinking about it.

Dunno if we or even the 47 year old Poloncarz live to see it, but in the mean time everyone does their part in the play.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Show me the books, Poloncarz tells NFL on stadium demandErie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz is pushing back hard against the NFL’s demand that a new stadium (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/nfl-renews-push-for-a-new-bills-stadium-20140811) be built for the Buffalo Bills, saying that paying for such a facility would be a burden that county taxpayers cannot and should not bear.
In an interview this week, Poloncarz asked that the National Football League show him the financial records of the teams to prove whether NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is right when he says the Bills need a new home.
“They have to prove to me that the Bills can’t be viable in Ralph Wilson Stadium,” said Poloncarz, a participant in the negotiations for the 10-year lease that resulted in $130 million in renovations being completed this year at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park. “If we’re going to have to build a new stadium, I want to see something that really proves we need a new stadium.”
Noting that any new facility would likely cost at least $750 million, with a third of that likely paid by the county, Poloncarz said: “I’m not going to cut libraries, I’m not going to cut parks, I’m not going to cut Child Protective Services to give more money to the multibillionaires who run professional football.”
Poloncarz added that some NFL team owners “probably don’t care” if a new stadium resulted in those cuts in Erie County, so long as the new arena meant more ticket revenues for the Bills, which would mean more money for other NFL teams, too, because the league shares its ticket revenues.....

....But Poloncarz said NFL officials made no such arguments only two years ago, when the Bills agreed to that lease (http://buffalonews.com/article/20121222/CITYANDREGION/312229999) keeping the team in Orchard Park for another decade. He also noted that NFL owners approved that lease last year without making any demands that the renovations be more extensive or that a concrete plan be put in place to build a new stadium.
“We did understand that some owners were not happy, but it was approved,” Poloncarz said. “We heard nothing at the time that this wasn’t enough.”.....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/orchard-park/show-me-the-books-poloncarz-tells-nfl-on-stadium-demand-20140812

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Polancarz sounds off on new Bills stadium

County Executive Mark Poloncarz shared his thoughts on the idea of a new stadium for the Buffalo Bills. Polancarz told the Buffalo News that he isn't sold that the team needs one.

“They have to prove to me that the Bills can’t be viable in Ralph Wilson Stadium,” Poloncarz told The News. “If we’re going to have to build a new stadium, I want so see something that really proves we need a new stadium.”

The County Executive, who participated in the negotiation for the Bills' new lease, said he does not want to dip into other funds to provide a stadium.

“I’m not going to cut libraries, I’m not going to cut parks, I’m not going to cut Child Protective Services to give more money to the multibillionaires who run professional football.”

http://www.wgr550.com/Polancarz-sounds-off-on-new-Bills-stadium/19665252

Odd timing.

Odd timing is a nice way of putting it.

Horrible timing is more like it.

How the County Executive handled this situation makes me feel ill.

Why couldn't Poloncarz at least wait to say this until the team was sold?

He would have more leverage if he had the backing of a new owner that doesn't want to spend close to a billion dollars on a new stadium.

He could have at least been pragmatic and said he was open to the idea of building a new stadium within the next ten years.

Isn't that a better way of handling the situation?

He could have taken a much more inviting and optimistic viewpoint, but instead chose to be stubborn.

The County Executive pretty much just gave the political equivalent of his middle finger to the NFL.

That is not good business.

If anyone knows a thing or two about revenue grabbing, it's Mark Poloncarz.

The NFL is a business and it wants to increase revenue. That is the nature of business.

Poloncarz makes it sound like growing a business is a sin.

His political tone was defiant, and unwelcoming.

How about cutting the size of Erie County's bloated government?

How about cutting the property taxes in Erie County?

How about cutting the sales tax rate?

The NFL wants to GROW, not remain stagnant for 65 years and pretend everything's just fine.

The Buffalo Bills are a franchise, and the NFL owns their rights.

It's not about, "What's best for Buffalo," as harsh as that may sound but it's reality.

It's about what's best for the future of the NFL, and I don't think County Executive Poloncarz realizes that.

Picking a fight with the 10,000 lb elephant in the room was not wise.

All it did was tell the NFL that Buffalo is unwilling to change.

Fletch
08-13-2014, 07:34 PM
In my young life, I've been to a few away stadiums. Each one has it's draw; NFL football. The locations, the "upgrades" I've witnessed over the years, it's all as DB stated, a new draw. "Oh, we just put $250 million in to Bank of America." You know what difference I noticed? There's now an escalator to the nosebleeds and a much larger screen. It's the promise to the taxpayers ($125 Million from the city of Charlotte's taxpayers) that if you go and see the hometown team, your investment was worth it. Thus Preferred Parking gets revenue, local enforcement venues get jobs, et cetera and so forth.

To the diehards (as per Op's point) these things go unnoticed. I'm not watching the super-mega-ultra-jumbotron, I'm watching what's on the field. I could've saved myself $200+ if I wanted to watch the game on a TV screen, but I digress... We aren't the ones shelling out hundreds/thousands for corporate boxes. I personally have been in a corporate box a few times at Three Rivers, Ralph Wilson, Heinz Field, and to a much lesser extent (and not football) PNC Park. I do not see the draw. They're fancy, sure, and they are expensive (although we didn't pay a dime) but if I'm going for the game, I'm going for the game, I'm not going with possible business partners. Now, as for the everyday fan:

Heinz Field: Few entrances, very crowded, poor parking, felt like the stadium was going to collapse at any moment. The field is poor, but as some Pittsburgh fans proudly stated, "it's built like the city. Rugged and tough." Ok. Vantage points were good, not really a bad seat in the house. Women talking about TV shows the entire game behind me.
Qualcomm Stadium: There are no redeeming qualities of this stadium, and I think anyone who has been there agrees. THIS is a stadium that needs to be torn down and that is a team that needs to get a new stadium. Currently holds a 3 star rating on Yelp. Parking was a nightmare.
Bank of America Field: Before and after renovations, pretty much the same. Excellent seating arrangements and plenty of room in the corridors. Entering is a hassle, and some seats give poor vantage of the field. Parking is OK for a downtown stadium, plenty of it.

I see his point; The Ralph draws a crowd. As long as there are Bills fans, they will flock, but for those who want the fancy, high class **** (and for The Dark One's pocketbook) they'll demand a new stadium.

Sissies.

Nicely summed up. I've been to Heinz and I agree, it's nothing special and parking does suck. It's got that water view though and that seems to be one of the big selling things.

But you hit the nail right on the head, most fans just want to go to the game and watch it. At least here in Buffalo. I think most of us are in agreement that we'd all be happy with easy entry and exiting and seats with good sightlines. You dress for the cold and deal with it. Someone made a good point about the areas underneath the seats being able to accommodate most people in case of rain, which is a good idea, but shouldn't cost a ton.

At the end of the day it's the NFL that makes these decisions not fans, and until something changes we're at the mercy of league preferences. Tbey don't give a crap about the fans, all they want is their money and they don't care how they get it.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Do people realize how bad this makes Buffalo look? The County Executive sounds like an occupy Wall Street type.

This is horrible.

Does Mark Poloncarz have any idea how many JOBS those, "multibillionaires," provide for people?

Does he have any idea just how minor league he made us look with those statements?

$400 million relocation fee?

Call it a political slush fund for every Erie County employee, and kiss your beloved Bills goodbye.

Poloncarz just sank our Battleship, folks.

He's tipping his hat. The NFL is going to take their franchise to greener pastures.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Roger Goodell has been nothing but kind to Buffalo.

He has been straight up forward saying the franchise needs a new stadium.

Why does he say this, repetitively as if to say, "You really need to f@#%ing do this or else your ass is grass."

Because Ontario, CA has over 13 million people across the Peace Bridge.

It's a simple numbers game. Think advertising and viewership ratings.

The NFL wants bigger markets for bigger ratings. The bigger the ratings, the bigger the advertising contracts get.

Buffalo has excellent viewership ratings, consistently drawing high ratings for Bills games....but compare a 24 share rating in a region populated with 2.5 million people compared to a 10 share rating in a region with 13 million people.

If it were counted as a single area, the population of western New York would number 2.5 million, or roughly the population of the entire Pittsburgh metropolitan area or the inner city of Toronto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York

YardRat
08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
The thing is that it's going to be a lot harder to demolish than traditional stadiums which just have to be stripped and then demolished. In this case demolishing will require excavating 75% of it out of the ground, which will be a whole lot more expensive. Breaking up all that concrete in the ground would have to be very time consuming. Maybe they would just dynamite it all like they do with rock formations when they build roadways.

I don't know if simply taking off the upper decks would be an option, still, what would it be used for?

Instead of this stupid short-term renovation Wilson should have had the foresight to work with someone, or a new owner, to build a new stadium. I have to think that it could have been negotiated when they negotiated that renovation and lease.

Actually the Ralph is better suited for demolition than most venues, by far. The hole is already dug, just push it in and cover it up.

YardRat
08-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Just FYI, it's not like this is a new concept...back in the day the NFL actually threatened to move the Packers to Milwaukee full time unless Green Bay built a new stadium. That's how the Frozen Tundra was born.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Actually the Ralph is better suited for demolition than most venues, by far. The hole is already dug, just push it in and cover it up.

Just like Niagara Falls......

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Just FYI, it's not like this is a new concept...back in the day the NFL actually threatened to move the Packers to Milwaukee full time unless Green Bay built a new stadium. That's how the Frozen Tundra was born.

That was when television was all of 10 years old.

Things have changed.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2014, 09:04 PM
This is an overly simplistic analogy, but I think it is quite fitting.

A long time business owner in WNY is thinking of relocating his business that has remained stagnant for years 12 miles north from Grant Street to a new location near UB on Maple Road.

What would you do?

Stay put, or try to grow your business?

BertSquirtgum
08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Do people realize how bad this makes Buffalo look? The County Executive sounds like an occupy Wall Street type.

This is horrible.

Does Mark Poloncarz have any idea how many JOBS those, "multibillionaires," provide for people?

Does he have any idea just how minor league he made us look with those statements?

Call it a political slush fund for every Erie County employee, and kiss your beloved Bills goodbye.

He's tipping his hat. The NFL is going to take their franchise to greener pastures.

No.

Fletch
08-13-2014, 09:16 PM

Yeah, not sure I see that happening.

DetDannyWilliams
08-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Poloncarz is right about not cutting Libraries, cutting parks and Child Protective Services just for a new stadium! this is what Poloncarz is talking about

Giambra proposed this "red budget" of $940 million which eliminated services, and after failed negotiations to raise the sales tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_tax) in a "green budget" of $1 billion,[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Giambra#cite_note-giambrabizjournal-4) a modified plan was adopted which laid off 2,000 county employees[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Giambra#cite_note-niagaragiambra-2) and closed many county services, including the Parks Department. In 2005, a Control Board (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Control_Board&action=edit&redlink=1) was implemented by the state to monitor county finances (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Giambra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Giambra)

better days
08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
This is an overly simplistic analogy, but I think it is quite fitting.

A long time business owner in WNY is thinking of relocating his business that has remained stagnant for years 12 miles north from Grant Street to a new location near UB on Maple Road.

What would you do?

Stay put, or try to grow your business?

Open a second location.

And the business may be stagnant but is not losing money or he would have shut the doors already.

And there is no guarantee the new location will do any better.

bob86
08-14-2014, 04:14 AM
A couple of thoughts on the new stadium thing and Poloncarz:

It is hard to disagree with much of what Poloncarz said, but why in the world would you say stuff like that at this stage in the process. The timing is beyond dumb. All Poloncarz did was give people like Jerry Jones ammunition for their position that Buffalo is too small to support a franchise and is dragging the shared revenue down for all the owners. Poloncarz’ comments only make it harder for a local owner to secure the approval of the other owners. Instead of waiting until local people had secured owners’ approval, Poloncarz channeled his inner Trump and had to open his big month and say something controversial just so people would pay attention to him.

As mentioned before, the main reason to build a new stadium is to tie the Bills to Buffalo on a long term basis. A new stadium means a long-term lease. Keeping the current stadium means a series of short term leases and an ongoing threat of relocation.

Anyone who has been to any of the newer NFL stadiums will tell you the Ralph looks old and out of date. Hack I remember when my Dad and I went to our first game there when the stadium was new and I recall how disappointed my Dad was in Rich Stadium. He was expecting to be impressed and instead he said it looked like “a hole in the ground with wings.” Over the years people from WNY has accepted the Ralph for what it is and grown to love it, but out-of-towners still see it as a hole in the ground.

delectrolux
08-14-2014, 06:52 AM
A lot of complaints here about what he's saying focus on the affect these comments will have on whether the Bills and NFL end up staying in Buffalo. Those complaints are making the assumption that Polocarz cares about the Bills staying in Buffalo. Believe it or not, There are plenty of people out there who don't care about football. There are plenty of people out there who don't think that keeping the Bills is worth the financial risk of publicly subsidizing a stadium. There's real weight to the idea that $3-400 million would be better spent on parks, safety, public works the it would be on a third of a new stadium - when there is a perfectly adequate stadium already sitting there (which the county just invested hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrading). People are complaining about the timing, but it's odd timing to hold the stadium threat over the head of an area that is right now in the process of upgrading the existing stadium...

just my two cents. If a new stadium was mandatory, they shouldn't have approved the investment in the current one. It's like going to the dentist to get a crown and ten minutes after he finishes he tells you that you really HAVE to get a root canal on that same tooth.

THATHURMANATOR
08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Cleveland's "new" stadium is a dump in my opinion.

Even before the renonvation the Ralph was on par.

better days
08-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Cleveland's "new" stadium is a dump in my opinion.

Even before the renonvation the Ralph was on par.

Everything I have read & heard is that people are going to be impressed & happy with the Stadium after the renovation.

THATHURMANATOR
08-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Everything I have read & heard is that people are going to be impressed & happy with the Stadium after the renovation.

Yes I have heard the same from multiple people.

One of my good friends was in there recently to help install the wireless network in the suites and a girl on my teams husband has been on the construction team.

Both said it will be VERY nice.

I can't wait to see it!

jamze132
08-15-2014, 03:37 AM
All Buffalo has to do is win and everything will take care of itself. It's really odd that winning brings in more money...

Historian
08-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Gorski pulled the same crap with Ralph a couple decades back, when he was Co. Exec.

It nearly lost us the team.

Dangerous game. Poloncarz should follow Don Corleone's advice:

"Never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking."

YardRat
08-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Yeah, not sure I see that happening.

It doesn't matter if you see it happening or not, it's the most effective and cost efficient way to demo a building and they've got an ideal set up to pull it off. To state the opposite, IMO, is incorrect.

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 11:43 AM

This is horrible.

What are you talking about?

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I think it would be AMAZING if Pegula bought the team and didn't care about a new stadium.

The team makes a great deal of profit as is.

The Ralph is a GREAT Facility In my opinion. I don't give 2 ****s if we have a sushi stand or if they have wifi. I am there to watch a football game. The new renovations covered any problems I had with the stadium fully.

With that said if Pegula or any new owner required a new stadium I would be ok with that for the most part, even though it isn't needed AT ALL!

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 12:15 PM
By the way I LOVE sushi!

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 12:20 PM
By the way I LOVE sushi!

I prefer sashimi.

BuffaloRedleg
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Spiked I want to make a RL bet with you about what is going on with the Bills right now. Or we could do zonebux but what is the fun in that.

I want you to put your money where your mouth is, because it sure has been running a lot.

Whatcha willing to bet on?

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Spiked I want to make a RL bet with you about what is going on with the Bills right now. Or we could do zonebux but what is the fun in that.

I want you to put your money where your mouth is, because it sure has been running a lot.

Whatcha willing to bet on?

What are we betting on?

I have said time and time again the Bills are staying in Buffalo.

BuffaloRedleg
08-15-2014, 02:54 PM
What are we betting on?

I have said time and time again the Bills are staying in Buffalo.

Then what is the point of all of this? You seem hell bent on proving otherwise.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Then what is the point of all of this? You seem hell bent on proving otherwise.

I just don't see an owner putting any significant money into a new stadium in Buffalo.

My guess is that the Bills will be playing at The Ralph for the next 20 years.

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 03:01 PM
I prefer sashimi.

Oh yes I was really meaning all aspects of sushi really. Love it all!

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 03:03 PM
I just don't see an owner putting any significant money into a new stadium in Buffalo.

Which is exactly what I want because I LOVE the Ralph.

There is 0 need for a new stadium other than an NFL/Bills money grab.

There is 0 reason to even think about a new stadium for the next 10 to 15 years outside catastrophic structure failure at the Ralph.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Oh yes I was really meaning all aspects of sushi really. Love it all!

I just find the rice fills me up too fast in sushi.

Sashimi on the other hand I can eat 3 lbs of raw fish as long as I have plenty of wasibi.

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2014, 03:05 PM
I just find the rice fills me up too fast in sushi.

Sashimi on the other hand I can eat 3 lbs of raw fish as long as I have plenty of wasibi.

:hi5: Agreed!

BuffaloRedleg
08-15-2014, 03:20 PM

Oh well I am mistaken then. Cheers.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Oh well I am mistaken then. Cheers.

Do you?

If I remember correctly, you returned to Buffalo after making a living elsewhere that you could not do in Buffalo.

You have seen other cities.

How do they compare to Buffalo in terms of economic progress?

trapezeus
08-15-2014, 03:47 PM
"Poloncarz suck our chance!" - Not true at all. simply the posturing of who brings what to the table. if erie county says they cna't foot it, it pushes it to the state. the state will say simliar things for larger amounts in federal support.

this happens on most projects bigger and smaller than this. the emotional attachment some of you give each and every comment is hilarious.

the important thing thus far is that a committee has already started the stadium review process for locations.

they will find 3 locations, everyone will ***** about what is viable and what isn't. prices will be provided as bids. they'll select 2, the people who have to pony up will ***** from both the public and private sector, a deal will be reached, the stadium will start the process of building, and it will be done.

this has happened to a lot of other teams including the giants and jets. they were supposed to be playing NYC in midtown. that didn't happen. but they are still in NYC. Cincy had their stadium built, cleveland had theirs. all at times, when those towns were going through the same revitalization as we are going through now.

i also love that billsimpossible, any government spending feels like a government official who is responsible for his book says, "i can't foot this bill myself" has singlehandedly doomed the bills staying in buffalo.