X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Staring Down the Receiver

For all of you experts that think you know it all, don't bother... You'll just argue and twist it to death.

For the rest of us, Sal wrote a great read... http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-When-...a-WR-/19661044
    Almost every pass play has a “first-read option” for the quarterback. A player he looks to throw to if he’s open, then look to someone else if he’s not. So, if Robert Woods, for example, is EJ’s first-read option, he’s going to look at him right after the snap. And if Woods beats his man off the line, EJ needs to throw it
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Staring Down the Receiver

i think the issue was with the batted balls in the first game. it seemed like he looked at a guy and people put their hands up and that was that. play was dead.

to me it seems like the coaching staff has to mix in more plays so that the quick read and throw isn't easily defended with arms in the air. have more traditional drop backs and longer play selections mixed in.

i like the point about DB in conflict. very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
      For all of you experts that think you know it all, don't bother... You'll just argue and twist it to death.

For the rest of us, Sal wrote a great read... http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-When-...a-WR-/19661044

How can anyone respond?

You publish a thread that asserts that there are experts out there, proceed to call them know-it-alls, and then tell these fictional folks of your own creation not to bother because they will twist your reference.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Interesting article but it would have been nice if he added some thoughts on whether he thinks EJ stares down WR's too much or not? Does he do it more, less, or about the same as other inexperienced QB's?
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

sal does player interviews and such, doesn't he? perhaps he has to toe the line a little and not make those calls pubically. but simply writing that article is a defense of EJ's play to some extent.

i don't think he sees it black and white. sometimes it is staring down the receiver too long. some times its the way the play develops.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            sal does player interviews and such, doesn't he? perhaps he has to toe the line a little and not make those calls pubically. but simply writing that article is a defense of EJ's play to some extent.

i don't think he sees it black and white. sometimes it is staring down the receiver too long. some times its the way the play develops.
            Well, Sal concedes that EJ does stare down the WR "sometimes," but that's a vague term.

How often did Tom Brady stare down a WR during his first 10 games? Now? What about a bust like JP Losman?

I guess what I'm looking for is some analysis or comparison of the number of times EJ stares someone down to know if it's good, bad or average for guys with his limited experience.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              Well, Sal concedes that EJ does stare down the WR "sometimes," but that's a vague term.

How often did Tom Brady stare down a WR during his first 10 games? Now? What about a bust like JP Losman?

I guess what I'm looking for is some analysis or comparison of the number of times EJ stares someone down to know if it's good, bad or average for guys with his limited experience.
              That would be tough to determine. I think we have to rely on a hundred years' of opinions and successes of folks in the business who feel that scanning the field is important. Not always, not every play, of course. There are plenty of times to take the snap ,the look, the quick strike. As in you have a dynamite wr and you are facing an iffy cb.

The deal with Manual is that it isn't just BUF fans who are raising an issue. Folks in the media with savvy, fans from other NFL cities with smarts are also seeing that Manual is different in his reads.

Folks jump and say it's a BUF bash. It isn't. It's an observation.

I reiterate what I've said before, several times...you have to get Manual's head swiveling. Design first-look plays but make the secondary target the targeted receiver. Get a FB. Use 'em.

We will see. I remain astounded how this or that club can go so long without a qb that can get at least a few headlines for a few years. It is, IMO, a management thing. CLE and BUF stand out like the proverbial "sore thumbs." What would this club be like if they signed the likes of a 32 year old Carson Palmer 2 years ago? Who was and is ridiculed here?
              Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                How can anyone respond?

You publish a thread that asserts that there are experts out there, proceed to call them know-it-alls, and then tell these fictional folks of your own creation not to bother because they will twist your reference.
                My apology... I was thinking of it as a request, not a demand.
                Anyway... Just trying to avoid the same old stale arguments that have been repeated over and over again in other threads.

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

It seems a little more complex than that. That "first read" can change depending on the defense. Guys like Manning and Brady know where they are going with the ball at the snap, because they read the defense and decide their best match-up before. Pre-snap reads are as big a factor as knowing the play. How fast the QB gets through his reads and how quickly he adjusts to pressure are big factors as well.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Asking Sal is almost like asking Chris Brown, so I wouldn't expect to much objectivity. How about behind the player & under throws, are those classified under something else that might lend credence as to why they happen ?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Good read. The Gnats pre-preseason game left a bad taste, but let's wait until Detroit to see if it's a sticking issue.
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

I like and respect Sal, but he's not really saying anything new.

I've never said or even heard the complaint he stares down a WR too long... I think the main issue is he's running a 1 read super simplified offense that defenses are eating alive
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                          My apology... I was thinking of it as a request, not a demand.
                          Anyway... Just trying to avoid the same old stale arguments that have been repeated over and over again in other threads.
                          I'm with you 100% on the old stale arguments!

The article mentioned Woods...that youngster has unlimited potential. He reminds me of Welker in his prime.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                            I like and respect Sal, but he's not really saying anything new.

I've never said or even heard the complaint he stares down a WR too long... I think the main issue is he's running a 1 read super simplified offense that defenses are eating alive
                            In my limited observation - he does. A fair question is why it would be a main issue as to why he has to be relegated to a super-simplified offense.

For all the talk about giving him a chance - and which I do - the evidence mounts up that he was a reach, mitigated by the trade-down that draft year. I'd be happy to be proven wrong,

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                              It seems a little more complex than that. That "first read" can change depending on the defense. Guys like Manning and Brady know where they are going with the ball at the snap, because they read the defense and decide their best match-up before. Pre-snap reads are as big a factor as knowing the play. How fast the QB gets through his reads and how quickly he adjusts to pressure are big factors as well.
                              Agree to a certain point. Pre-sanp read is big, probably bigger than anything else on the field for a QB. You are talking about all the pre-game study, defensive play/personnel combinations and match up offensive play into the precious seconds. Manning is the king of that. It is no surprise that he tends to line up his guys way before clock to maximize time there. Adjusting blocking schemes is probably the most difficult part that I don't see the Bills having Manuel doing even in his 2nd year.

Then the ability to process information quickly after the snap. Kurt Warner is probably the best I've seen in this modern era and Tom Brady is not that far behind.

It is safe to say EJ demonstrated nothing special in both technical area thus far in his career. In fact you may use the word "lack of" in those area. I'm not going into the leadership, working habits and other intangiables, nor the physical side of things.

On a separate note, Kiko showed unbelievable information processing ability last year, to the point he reacted too quickly in some plays to allow people cutting back on him (the phrase you heard is over run plays). Nigel has been doing fine this pre-season, but he's not at Kiko's mental ability level. Believe me when I say it here: The Bills are going to miss Kiko this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X