PDA

View Full Version : wgr: Camp Day #16 - vs. Steelers

swiper
08-14-2014, 04:40 AM
<tbody>
Bills training camp observations: Day 16 by Joe Buscaglia , posted Aug 13 2014 9:34PM

http://imgsrv.wgr550.com/image/DbGraphic/201408/2919715.jpg?1408010738

It’s been nine years, but the Buffalo Bills finally participated in a joint practice with another NFL franchise on Wednesday. After making the relatively quick trip down to Pittsburgh, the Bills drove down the interstate to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania to take part in a session with the Steelers.

Many of the joint practices around the NFL have resulted in a testy environment with some skirmishes sprinkled in. Following suit, the Bills and Steelers both raised the intensity from a normal training camp practice.

How did the Bills perform against the Steelers in the controlled setting? Here are some observations from the day:

Control kept in live atmosphere
- After the Bills and Steelers went through their positional drills and stretching, they all came together on the main field and started off the very lively joint practice. When they got to team drills the Bills’ offense and Steelers’ defense paired off to one half of the field, while the Bills’ defense and the Steelers’ offense went to the other side. If anyone was expecting them to softly get into the joint practice, they were sorely mistaken. The teams immediately went to a live tackling drill and the tempers flared from there. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore laid a big hit along the sideline on a Steelers wide receiver, fullback Evan Rodriguez got into it with some Steelers defenders and safety Aaron Williams even had his helmet thrown after it fell off on a special teams play. Other than those three instances though, the Bills and Steelers showed quite the amount of restraint and poise throughout the practice. While the attitude and energy was a notch higher than most other practices against teammates, the two teams kept it clean for the most part.

EJ’s poor day
- One of the biggest questions heading into the pair of practices in Latrobe is how second-year quarterback EJ Manuel would perform against a team that was so successful in stopping him last year. Even with a solid performance in Carolina under his belt, Manuel showed inaccuracy in the first session with the Steelers more than most his other training camp practices in 2014. His throws were all over the place during team drills, whether they were short, intermediate or deep attempts, the ball just wasn’t being put in the proper place to facilitate a reception all the time. He did have his moments with some positive throws in the intermediate area to Scott Chandler, but aside from that, Manuel’s performance was one to be forgotten.

First-team run defense
- On the bright side of the day, the Bills on the other half of the field continued their recent stretch of positive play. The first-team was outstanding against the first unit of Pittsburgh’s offense, specifically against the run. The defensive linemen were occupying their blocks and the linebackers plugged the gaps to limit what Ben Roethlisberger, LeGarrette Blount and the offensive line could do for the majority of practice. Middle linebacker Brandon Spikes and outside linebacker Nigel Bradham especially stood out in limiting what Blount could do. Pittsburgh’s offensive line isn’t one of the best in the league, but the defensive line of the Bills once again showed why they are such a potent unit against another group that isn’t their own.

Urbik struggles
- The one-on-one battles between the offensive line of the Bills and the Steelers’ defensive line were among one of the more entertaining parts of practice, but the men representing the city of Buffalo weren’t exactly winning the battle. One of the main players that struggled throughout the drill is incumbent starting right guard Kraig Urbik, who was actually playing out of position on Wednesday. For the first time in a training camp practice the Bills used Urbik as the first-team left guard, partially due to the injury suffered by starter Chris Williams. In that role, Urbik just couldn’t seem to find his footing. He failed to engage with the defender on his four separate one-on-one attempts and lost all his battles easily. That, in comparison to the day that his direct competitor for starting right guard duties had in the drill, has to make Urbik feel a bit uneasy.

Glenn, McKelvin getting increased workload
- Two players that figure significantly into the starting lineup are left tackle Cordy Glenn and cornerback Leodis McKelvin, although each have been missing in action due to separate conditions. Glenn was just recently activated from the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list and McKelvin has been slowly recovering from offseason hip surgery. On Wednesday both took a step forward in their potential return from injuries. Glenn actually took some full contact one-on-one drills, the first time he’s done that since his activation. McKelvin was at first announced to likely miss practice, but dressed for the day and partook in both punt returns and even some team drills near the end of the practice. With the amount that cornerback Corey Graham struggled on Wednesday, a quick McKelvin return could be a welcomed sight for the Bills.

Bills’ Day 16 MVP: G Cyril Richardson
- The fifth-round rookie picked a great afternoon to have his best practice since coming to the NFL. With Chris Williams injured and sitting out of practice, the Bills elected to have Richardson take all the starting snaps at right guard with Kraig Urbik at left guard, and the rookie was quite impressive. He used his strength to lock up defenders along the line during both team drills and one-on-one’s, leading to some praise from offensive line coach Pat Morris. If there are more days like that, Richardson could go a long way in potentially securing the starting job as a rookie.

Bills’ Day 16 LVP: G Antonie McClain
- On the flip side, second-team guard Antoine McClain couldn’t get the hang of going up against the Steelers defense at any point of the practice. McClain lost all three reps in one-on-one battles, and easily. He’s gotten some opportunities throughout camp to audition for perhaps a bigger role, and even a roster spot, but hasn’t been able to break through just yet. He’s running out of time.

Injury Update: K Dustin Hopkins (groin), S Jonathan Meeks (neck), LB Ty Powell (medical), G Chris Williams (back), TE Tony Moeaki (hamstring), WR Marquise Goodwin (hamstring)

</tbody>

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=420959

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/488506826213060608/F4UP7XmM_normal.jpegMike Rodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)✔ @mikerodak

And that's a wrap. Bills got pushed around quite a bit today. Let's see how they respond tomorrow night.

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn
(https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn)This is already the most physical Bills practice of training camp by far. Both sides finishing tackles hard.

https://twitter.com/AdamBenigni

#Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) first scuffle... Intense here in team drills @wgrz (https://twitter.com/WGRZ)

swiper
08-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Nice to hear about Cyril Richardson's continued strong performances.

Albany,n.y.
08-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Hopkins groin-the beginning of the end of his career. I thought he was healthy & his problems were behind him, but now I have to question whether he'll ever play in an real NFL game. I have to take back my support for him on the 53 man roster, it's time to move on. This is a chronic physical problem that with Carpenter on the roster the Bills don't need to deal with.

bdutton
08-14-2014, 07:07 AM
EJ better get his **** together or this will be a long season.

Night Train
08-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Moeaki better quick open a physical rehab store, since he has 5 solid years of experience.

OpIv37
08-14-2014, 08:00 AM
EJ better get his **** together or this will be a long season.

I really just want to see one camp report that DOESN'T mention how poor EJ looks.

But the report also mentions that the OL played poorly. I have to wonder how tha affected him, especially since the guys coming at him were Steelers and not Bills.

better days
08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, the Bills had an hour bus ride to Latrobe after landing in Pittsburgh Then hit the field.

Let's see how they do today. But it is good to hear the run defense is playing well.

k-oneputt
08-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Left Guard is going to be a problem again. Chris Williams stinks and that's when he is actually healthy, which is not often. Urbik isn't much better but will have to do for now by default. Can Ricardson play LG ? Can Henderson move down to a guard position ? Or Koun., Maybe Glenn and keep Henderson at OT, no scratch that idea.

Does it even really matter ? Manuel is still Manuel so that takes care of another season.

OpIv37
08-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Well, the Bills had an hour bus ride to Latrobe after landing in Pittsburgh Then hit the field.

Let's see how they do today. But it is good to hear the run defense is playing well.
If the current camp trends continue, we could be in store for some very boring, low-scoring games this season......

OpIv37
08-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Left Guard is going to be a problem again. Chris Williams stinks and that's when he is actually healthy, which is not often. Urbik isn't much better but will have to do for now by default. Can Ricardson play LG ? Can Henderson move down to a guard position ? Or Koun., Maybe Glenn and keep Henderson at OT, no scratch that idea.

Does it even really matter ? Manuel is still Manuel so that takes care of another season.
The OL situation is frustrating because it's a built- in excuse to keep Manuel for another season no matter how poorly he plays. I'm hoping he comes around this year but I don expect it to happen.

Not that we'd be able to replace him next year anyway- we have no first rounder.

Pinkerton Security
08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
My optimism and patience are wearing thin with EJ - as Op said, I swear every single camp report is "well this was one to forget" and constantly sites his inaccuracy. Frustrating since our D is ready to win now and we have the weapons, just not a capable QB. Fitz would get these guys the ball...just sayin'

better days
08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
If the current camp trends continue, we could be in store for some very boring, low-scoring games this season......

Maybe so, but after the last 14 years, I will take any win I can get even a win in a low scoring, boring game.

OpIv37
08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Maybe so, but after the last 14 years, I will take any win I can get even a win in a low scoring, boring game.

Not sure it's a winning formula. How many times over the last 14 years have we seen the D hold their own for 3+ quarters only to crack late in the game because they were on the field too long as a result of the offense's inability to sustain a drive?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-14-2014, 10:23 AM
My optimism and patience are wearing thin with EJ - as Op said, I swear every single camp report is "well this was one to forget" and constantly sites his inaccuracy. Frustrating since our D is ready to win now and we have the weapons, just not a capable QB. Fitz would get these guys the ball...just sayin'

Fitz would throw the ball in their general vicinity, sure. But I wouldn't call that getting them the ball.

justasportsfan
08-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm glad these practices with the Steelers are happening. More so for the offense than the D. Marrone will see where his players are at and hopefully he fixes what needs to be fixed. EJ still worries me but maybe our back ups will improve.

justasportsfan
08-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Fitz would throw the ball in their general vicinity, sure. But I wouldn't call that getting them the ball.

As weak as Fitz's arm was, he was a gunslinger. Something I hope the "strong armed" EJ would become. Ej needs grow grow a pair that Fitz had.

Ginger Vitis
08-14-2014, 10:44 AM
2weeks days ago Buscaglia thought Richardson would be a cut candidate good to see Richardsons play has improved.. If only Kouandjio would show something

swiper
08-14-2014, 12:30 PM

That may be so, but an un-sacked Manuel is better than one lying on the ground all the time.

It's funny how much letting Levitre go is still smarting. Having a decent replacement for Jarius Byrd makes you forget about him more quickly. Signing Chris Williams to play left guard? Lesson for Whaley.

OLDSRIP
08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I really just want to see one camp report that DOESN'T mention how poor EJ looks.

But the report also mentions that the OL played poorly. I have to wonder how tha affected him, especially since the guys coming at him were Steelers and not Bills.

You will have to read something written by someone other than Joe B.
(Joe B the fool who tried to give himself a nick name)

I think he is far worse at his job than EJ is at his. And EJ isn't great.

OLDSRIP
08-14-2014, 04:21 PM

You have a short memory when it comes to Fitz being accurate.

swiper
08-14-2014, 05:03 PM
You will have to read something written by someone other than Joe B.
(Joe B the fool who tried to give himself a nick name)

I think he is far worse at his job than EJ is at his. And EJ isn't great.

He's far better than Sal Crapaccio.

Night Train
08-14-2014, 05:07 PM

Sal was a long time poster here and a great guy.

Keep using that entrenching tool to dig a deeper hole for your posting rep.

swiper
08-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Sal was a long time poster here and a great guy.

Keep using that entrenching tool to dig a deeper hole for your posting rep.

I know. He was the same here too. And at the Range. If you think I'm the only one that see through him, read the last half of the comments:

http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-When-is-the-QB-Staring-Down-a-WR-/19661044'

Sorry to prove you wrong, but you are.

OLDSRIP
08-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Personally I like Joe better.

But, all these guys have people who like them and people who don't.