PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seeing All These Penalties?

ServoBillieves
08-15-2014, 08:00 PM
28 Penalties in 5 quarters of play so far tonight (Saints, Titans, Patriots, Eagles). This is unbelievably ridiculous, as most I've seen are for DB's grazing receivers and tons of holding. Is this typical of preseason or are the new rules so touchy-feely that yellow flags will dictate the entire game?

As I type this, 2 more penalties called. Make that another as I edited the top.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
You are telling me...I made a drinking game out of it and I'm about to puke.

BillsImpossible
08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Not good for TV.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 08:08 PM
...or my liver.

BLeonard
08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
It's been mentioned before: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/224869-Be-on-the-lookout-for-this-rule-change-tonight

It's to the point where, after 5 yards, defenders are literally not allowed to touch receivers, or they'll get flagged for it.

Might start to see gameplans where defenders are constantly jamming receivers at the line, because that's about all that's allowed anymore.

It'll be interesting to see just how many times these types of calls will cost teams games this season, if they're gonna continue to flag it like this.

-Bill

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Puts a lot emphasis on the safeties to help in the coverage.

I wish we had a pro bowl quality one.

Turf
08-15-2014, 08:21 PM
I hope they back off on this stuff, because it will ruin the game. Every game will be determined by penalties. I hate it.

ServoBillieves
08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
We're up to 36 in less than 6 quarters. I love how Graham is still dunking on his TD's, though he'll stop in the regular season.

BL I remember this being discussed earlier but tonight is just unreal. I continue to see yellow and it's play after player after play...

ServoBillieves
08-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Forgot about the game last night, tack on another 21.

MikeInRoch
08-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I hope they back off on this stuff, because it will ruin the game. Every game will be determined by penalties. I hate it.

Then maybe defenses better learn to play by the ****** rules. I'm sick of teams getting away with cheating in the secondary.

BLeonard
08-15-2014, 11:51 PM
We're up to 36 in less than 6 quarters. I love how Graham is still dunking on his TD's, though he'll stop in the regular season.

BL I remember this being discussed earlier but tonight is just unreal. I continue to see yellow and it's play after player after play...

Oh, not knocking you for the thread, just saying that yeah, others have seen it as well.

Sad thing is, the games I've watched tonight, even the announcers are talking about it being too tick tacky...

Then maybe defenses better learn to play by the ****** rules. I'm sick of teams getting away with cheating in the secondary.

If it's enforced evenly, that's one thing... But, I'll about guaran-damn-tee that certain teams will be flagged for this, while others (*cough* New England *cough*) won't be when the Regular Season starts.

-Bill

kishoph
08-16-2014, 03:46 AM
It is a little ridiculous, I think they're trying to send a message to the DB's with the 5 yd. rule, but the refs will stop being so flag happy once it starts to slow down the game in the regular season (I hope).

Night Train
08-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Hate these new rules already. Just take the CB's out of the game, if they are being flagged for basically being around a WR.

The current Commish may be the worst one in history.

Owen DeBoard
08-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Oh, not knocking you for the thread, just saying that yeah, others have seen it as well.

Sad thing is, the games I've watched tonight, even the announcers are talking about it being too tick tacky...

If it's enforced evenly, that's one thing... But, I'll about guaran-damn-tee that certain teams will be flagged for this, while others (*cough* New England *cough*) won't be when the Regular Season starts.

-Bill

I agree this is going to give certain teams a big advantage.

Homegrown
08-16-2014, 08:42 AM
20+ flags per game, review after every scoring play, TV timeouts after every change of possession....Welcome to the 5 hour football game... There's got to be a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the autumn.

better days
08-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Or they could go back to the way football used to be played before they made that stupid 5 yd rule.

It would eliminate all the stupid holding & interference penalties which gives teams like the Pats* unfair advantage.

Skooby
08-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Two hand touch is coming.

kishoph
08-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Easy to understand (laymen's terms) rule changes for 2014.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/8/3/5962327/2014-nfl-rule-changes-penalties-referees-flags

ServoBillieves
08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't know who Kevin Patra is, but he has a great write-up on the 86 penalties called last night alone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000378654/article/sean-payton-upset-with-saints-preseason-penalties

better days
08-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Easy to understand (laymen's terms) rule changes for 2014.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/8/3/5962327/2014-nfl-rule-changes-penalties-referees-flags

"A better experience for the fans" Seriously?

The NFL thinks stopping play for a stupid penalty every 5 minutes is a better experience for the fans?