• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Anyone Seeing All These Penalties?

28 Penalties in 5 quarters of play so far tonight (Saints, Titans, Patriots, Eagles). This is unbelievably ridiculous, as most I've seen are for DB's grazing receivers and tons of holding. Is this typical of preseason or are the new rules so touchy-feely that yellow flags will dictate the entire game?

As I type this, 2 more penalties called. Make that another as I edited the top.
    Bye Bye Brady...
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Anyone Seeing All These Penalties?

You are telling me...I made a drinking game out of it and I'm about to puke.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Not good for TV.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

...or my liver.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

It's been mentioned before: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...change-tonight

It's to the point where, after 5 yards, defenders are literally not allowed to touch receivers, or they'll get flagged for it.

Might start to see gameplans where defenders are constantly jamming receivers at the line, because that's about all that's allowed anymore.

It'll be interesting to see just how many times these types of calls will cost teams games this season, if they're gonna continue to flag it like this.

-Bill

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Puts a lot emphasis on the safeties to help in the coverage.

I wish we had a pro bowl quality one.

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

I hope they back off on this stuff, because it will ruin the game. Every game will be determined by penalties. I hate it.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                The Voice of Reason
                • Jul 2007

We're up to 36 in less than 6 quarters. I love how Graham is still dunking on his TD's, though he'll stop in the regular season.

BL I remember this being discussed earlier but tonight is just unreal. I continue to see yellow and it's play after player after play...
                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

Forgot about the game last night, tack on another 21.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                    I hope they back off on this stuff, because it will ruin the game. Every game will be determined by penalties. I hate it.
                    Then maybe defenses better learn to play by the ****** rules. I'm sick of teams getting away with cheating in the secondary.
                    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                      We're up to 36 in less than 6 quarters. I love how Graham is still dunking on his TD's, though he'll stop in the regular season.

BL I remember this being discussed earlier but tonight is just unreal. I continue to see yellow and it's play after player after play...
                      Oh, not knocking you for the thread, just saying that yeah, others have seen it as well.

Sad thing is, the games I've watched tonight, even the announcers are talking about it being too tick tacky...

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                      Then maybe defenses better learn to play by the ****** rules. I'm sick of teams getting away with cheating in the secondary.
                      If it's enforced evenly, that's one thing... But, I'll about guaran-damn-tee that certain teams will be flagged for this, while others (*cough* New England *cough*) won't be when the Regular Season starts.

-Bill

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

It is a little ridiculous, I think they're trying to send a message to the DB's with the 5 yd. rule, but the refs will stop being so flag happy once it starts to slow down the game in the regular season (I hope).

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Hate these new rules already. Just take the CB's out of the game, if they are being flagged for basically being around a WR.

The current Commish may be the worst one in history.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                            Oh, not knocking you for the thread, just saying that yeah, others have seen it as well.

Sad thing is, the games I've watched tonight, even the announcers are talking about it being too tick tacky...

If it's enforced evenly, that's one thing... But, I'll about guaran-damn-tee that certain teams will be flagged for this, while others (*cough* New England *cough*) won't be when the Regular Season starts.

-Bill
                            I agree this is going to give certain teams a big advantage.
                            To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Homegrown
                              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                              • Jul 2008

20+ flags per game, review after every scoring play, TV timeouts after every change of possession....Welcome to the 5 hour football game... There's got to be a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the autumn.

Comment

Working...
                              X