PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Game #3 - Balls & Goats

swiper
08-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Balls - Landon Cohen

Goats - EJ Manuel, Cyrus Kouandijo, Stephon Gilmore

Dr. Lecter
08-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I would put Lewis or Tuel on the goat list way before EJ.

swiper
08-16-2014, 09:57 PM
I would put Lewis or Tuel on the goat list way before EJ.

They didn't look good either, but Lewis lead the team to a TD. So far, at least, both Tuel & Lewis have lead to scoring drives in preseason games. So no.

Dr. Lecter
08-16-2014, 10:00 PM
They didn't look good either, but Lewis lead the team to a TD. So far, at least, both Tuel & Lewis have lead to scoring drives in preseason games. So no.

What did Lewis do to lead them to a TD?

(Just being on the field does not count. Nor do the previous games)

So yes - Lewis was terrible. He led them to a TD on a drive that started on the 10 yard line. Certainly you can't claim equivalency on the drives

Novacane
EJ was ok tonight. No way he deserves a goat.

Cleve
Manuel and the first string offense have not yet scored a touchdown in 3 pre-season games - that despite the coaches leaving Manuel in the entire first half tonight to try and correct that.

swiper
08-16-2014, 10:16 PM
EJ was ok tonight. No way he deserves a goat.

Are you kidding? He was throwing over, behind and under people. Just like last season. Take away his completions to RBs & TEs, what's left? Hackett doesn't even have the confidence to let him throw down field. Tasker pointed out the lack of passing attempts over 20 yards.

If that continues, the Bills will be easy to game plan against.

Buffalogic
08-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Are you kidding? He was throwing over, behind and under people. Just like last season. Take away his completions to RBs & TEs, what's left? Hackett doesn't even have the confidence to let him throw down field. Tasker pointed out the lack of passing attempts over 20 yards.

If that continues, the Bills will be easy to game plan against.Not sure if those are Hackett's orders of if EJ is too scared to throw it down field.

kingJofNYC
08-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Mike Adams and Kouandjio were the worst OL in the game.

You guys are giving Gilmore too much ****, the one TD he gave up was an insane throw by Ben. Gilmore got beat but it took a perfect throw. Wish we had a QB that could thread the needle like that.

jamze132
08-17-2014, 04:27 AM
Wish we had a QB who would attempt to throw downfield.

Skooby
08-17-2014, 04:49 AM
Offense - Goat

1st string defense - Ball

YardRat
08-17-2014, 05:21 AM
KuJo looks horribly lost out there.

I have to agree with Mitch, though.

swiper
08-17-2014, 06:05 AM
I also liked what I saw from Randell Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9705/randell-johnson) on a few plays.

swiper
08-17-2014, 06:08 AM
1st string defense - Ball

Roethlisberger scored 2 quick TDs making them look like ametuers. What game were you watching?

Sunday August 17, 2014

Who Helped Themselves: Doug Carpenter helped himself with field goals of 37 and 53 yards in the first half and a game tying 44 yard field goal late. He had to handle the kickoffs since Dustin Hopkins was inactive and did well which may mean the end to the carrying two kickers thought. All five of them went into the end zone and four were touchbacks. He did miss a 49 yarder in the 4th quarter. Fred Jackson looked good running and receiving as he caught 7 passes for 28 yards and added 27 yards on six carries. Robert Woods looked good as he was targeted six times and made three catches for a game high 49 yards. Scott Chandler had four catches for 40 yards.Stefan Charles had two sacks, one of them forced a fumble that Landon Cohen returned 59 yards to setup the Bills only touchdown.Nickell Robey had a nice interception.

Who Hurt Themselves: EJ Manuel just can't do anything in the red zone and did not look good in this game after coming off his best practice of the summer. Thad Lewis was very inaccurate completing just one pass to each team in six attempts. Jeff Tuel didn't do much better fumbling the game away in the final minute. Cyrus Kouandjio gave up the sack to Tuel. Bryce Brown got in the game late and had only 12 yards on six carries. Alan Branch didn't get into the game until the final minutes and Doug Marrone said he's fighting for a roster spot. The entire starting defensive unit didn't help themselves after giving up two touchdowns on the first two Steeler possessions.

Fletch
08-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Balls - Landon Cohen

Goats - EJ Manuel, Cyrus Kouandijo, Stephon Gilmore

It's always so encouraging when a former 7th round on his 6th team in as many seasons is the shining star.

Fletch
08-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Watkins has had 3 catches for 21 yards and a 7 ypr avg. so far.

He's been targeted 7 times with 3 catches, the lowest conversion rate of any WR except for Graham who's cut material.

I'm wondering why he's not done more in preseason. Granted, he got hurt yesterday, but having that conversion rate isn't doing much for me at this point. Nice that he's making casual catches in camp with one hand, but come the regular season if he can't start generating more yards-after-catch on the short stuff, I'll be wondering even more why they drafted him so high and traded up to do it.

Either way, that target to catch stat line is going to have to increase significantly. Right now it's contrary to what we've been told about Watkins.

Skooby
08-17-2014, 08:29 AM
It's always so encouraging when a former 7th round on his 6th team in as many seasons is the shining star.

Or when your punter is the team's MVP.

The Jokeman
08-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Watkins has had 3 catches for 21 yards and a 7 ypr avg. so far.

He's been targeted 7 times with 3 catches, the lowest conversion rate of any WR except for Graham who's cut material.

I'm wondering why he's not done more in preseason. Granted, he got hurt yesterday, but having that conversion rate isn't doing much for me at this point. Nice that he's making casual catches in camp with one hand, but come the regular season if he can't start generating more yards-after-catch on the short stuff, I'll be wondering even more why they drafted him so high and traded up to do it.

Either way, that target to catch stat line is going to have to increase significantly. Right now it's contrary to what we've been told about Watkins.

Maybe Watkins hasn't done much because I don't know, he's a rookie WR playing on the first team? I've brought it up in previous threads that expecting Watkins to be a difference maker this year is asking a lot as WRs typically take a good three seasons before they live up to their full potential. Personally I think our two best WRs are in 2014 are Woods and Williams.

TacklingDummy
08-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe Watkins hasn't done much because I don't know, he's a rookie WR playing on the first team? I've brought it up in previous threads that expecting Watkins to be a difference maker this year is asking a lot as WRs typically take a good three seasons before they live up to their full potential. Personally I think our two best WRs are in 2014 are Woods and Williams.

Having a brutal QB throwing him the ball doesn't help at all.

Like I said when they drafted Watkins. He's going to look like a bust as long as he has EJ throwing him the ball.

ServoBillieves
08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Goat: Hackett.

The Jokeman
08-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Having a brutal QB throwing him the ball doesn't help at all.

Like I said when they drafted Watkins. He's going to look like a bust as long as he has EJ throwing him the ball.

To me a QB is a product of a system and talent around him. To me the Bills have questionable talent with Scott Chandler starting. I've been saying this for quite some time but nobody seems to care but I think yesterday's game is a primary example. EJ was doing his best to get it to him and Chandler just didn't product. Toss in I don't know why Watkins is starting. As to me I think Woods is a better player right now and should be starting ahead of him. What's also killing this team and EJ is an inability to do anything in short yardage/goal line situations. I mean we score a TD in any of those drives that we failed on 4th down would anyone complain about EJ's play? Not likely as it would have meant that he lead us on 3 scoring drives in a half which is to me a good performance.

bdutton
08-17-2014, 11:53 AM
To me a QB is a product of a system and talent around him. To me the Bills have questionable talent with Scott Chandler starting. I've been saying this for quite some time but nobody seems to care but I think yesterday's game is a primary example. EJ was doing his best to get it to him and Chandler just didn't product. Toss in I don't know why Watkins is starting. As to me I think Woods is a better player right now and should be starting ahead of him. What's also killing this team and EJ is an inability to do anything in short yardage/goal line situations. I mean we score a TD in any of those drives that we failed on 4th down would anyone complain about EJ's play? Not likely as it would have meant that he lead us on 3 scoring drives in a half which is to me a good performance.

I never understood the hate for Scott Chandler. He's a very good TE. His numbers over the years places him in the top 15 starting TE's. Against the Steelers he had 4 catches for 40 yards including the 23 yard catch and run that almost turned a 3rd and 27 into a first down.

EJ looked ok. A couple of very bad passes. He completed 17 of 27 passes. That's a lot of passing plays for one half of play. His favorite receiver was Jackson (7). That is the product of the weak offensive scheme IMO. Hopefully the lack of creative play calling is just because its preseason.

The Jokeman
08-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I never understood the hate for Scott Chandler. He's a very good TE. His numbers over the years places him in the top 15 starting TE's. Against the Steelers he had 4 catches for 40 yards including the 23 yard catch and run that almost turned a 3rd and 27 into a first down.

EJ looked ok. A couple of very bad passes. He completed 17 of 27 passes. That's a lot of passing plays for one half of play. His favorite receiver was Jackson (7). That is the product of the weak offensive scheme IMO. Hopefully the lack of creative play calling is just because its preseason.

The hate on Chandler is at 6'7" the guy should be a red zone monster and he hasn't shown to be that no matter if we have EJ or Fitz at QB. Ideally to me Chandler is a 2nd string TE. I mean he's as tall as guys like Gronk and Jimmy Graham and while I admit he's not nearly as athletic as either of those two ugh it's maddening that we can't take advantage of his height. So instead I'd favor finding a H-back type TE in the Jordan Reed/Aaron Hernandez mold starting and have Chandler as a backup.

stuckincincy
08-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Good post.

Night Train
08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Since the ***** crowd will dominate, I'll single out 2 players on D who played very well.

Randall Johnson and Stefan Charles

jimmifli
08-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Corey Graham looked pretty good. Apparently he struggled in practice, but showed up "on Sunday".