PDA

View Full Version : The Difference between the Steelers and Bills

ghz in pittsburgh
08-16-2014, 10:36 PM
is simply they have Ben and we have EJ.

Trust me the Steelers are going to be much better than last year. Roethlisberger seems to be more motivated going into his last year even though we all know he's never going to leave the Steelers. OLine is noticeably better and Polamalu is healthy.

Overall, I think the Bills are on par in talent level to the Steelers, maybe a bit more even.

But they have a super star QB an we have what looks to be an average QB.

EJ did OK tonight in my opinion. More decisive and quick right decisions compared to last year. On the INT, the linebacker made a great play. He just cannot make those ...

What Ben was able to make, killing plays, not obvious plays. In the EJ's INT example, if Ben were in EJ's place, he would place the ball just a little further for Chandler so it would turn into a great play for the offense.

Also ...
I'm not sure Gilmore should always go one-on-one without help. He's not as fluid as I thought.

coastal
08-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Gilmore was another stupid pick

jills
08-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Manuel is not accurate, never was and never will. Gilmore is overrated big time.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2014, 05:34 AM
It's more than EJ, but he is a big part of the problem right now.

Our inability to score TDs in the red zone is a major issue, and has plagued us for years. It is partially EJ's fault, but also play calling. I think that in Williams, Watkins and Chandler we have red zone targets that can get the ball - if it is properly thrown. As of now, EJ can't seem to put it where it needs to be. We might also try a running play now and again, with Fred or Dixon, but for now, EJ has to improve in the red zone.

Our second major problem is our secondary getting torched. We let a playmaker, Jairus Byrd, walk away, which many of you thought was fine. I didn't then, and watching the Williams boys and Searcy trying to play his role simply, confirms my thinking now. And Gilmore doesn't seem to be as good as advertised. Without better personnel, I don't know how our pass coverage improves. Maybe McKelvin will help when fully healthy.

For now, our red zone ineffectiveness and our problems stopping the pass look like they will cost us the playoffs for a 15th straight season.

swiper
08-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Hey. EJ Manuel did a good job finding Fred Jackson as a target. Even if it was for (-1) yard passes. And Chandler. He targets Chandler a lot on dump offs. With YAC Chandler averaged a whopping 10 yards a catch last night. Manuel looked an awful lot like black Trent Edwards last night.

They should have gone after Bortles instead of Watkins.

They already have Robert Woods, who just keeps catching the ball. He who Marrone has on the 2nd team because Whaley sold the boat to get Watkins.

On another note Ryan Nassib lead the Giants back from a 20 point deficit to beat the Colts.

YardRat
08-17-2014, 05:51 AM
There certainly is a gap in abilities between Ben and EJ.

swiper
08-17-2014, 05:53 AM

Roethlisberger is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder since Emmanuel Sanders dissed him in comparing him to Peyton.

ublinkwescore
08-17-2014, 06:05 AM
the lights need to go on for EJ by no later than week 4. If we can't beat a declining pats team in our house, WE R DONE - NO PLAYOFFS. but we might as well keep this staff because we will not get anything better in here w no first rounder next season...

- - - Updated - - -

the lights need to go on for EJ by no later than week 4. If we can't beat a declining pats team in our house, WE R DONE - NO PLAYOFFS. but we might as well keep this staff because we will not get anything better in here w no first rounder next season...

Jaybird
08-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Ej can not continue tossing the short pass on every play... We have WR that can get open and he needs to trust them to be in the right spot. I don't think its the play calling (I'm not a fan either way).

DynaPaul
08-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Dump off passes to RB's and TE's doesn't make a QB. If he continues this trend it's time to cut bait. I know Marrone and Hackett must be pulling their hair out over his play though they won't say it in public. If they were going to go "all in" on just one player this doesn't look like the guy to do that with. Reminds me of when Ditka went all in with a certain RB named Ricky Williams and that didn't work out too great.

kishoph
08-17-2014, 06:35 AM

There is also a big difference in being a 10 year NFL veteran and a 10 game NFL veteran.
The offense moved the ball yesterday without 2 starting linemen and for the most part, 2 of it's top receivers. A 12 play, 11 play, two 10 play and a 6 play (int.) drives, show they are moving the ball, they need to work on finishing them. That's what pre seasons are for. I'm sure people are gonna say they were all 5 yd. passes and dump offs, but who cares if they're moving the ball and also look around the league, teams are moving the ball with 1-10 yd. passes. I'm sure a lot more people would be happier if Manuel just launched the ball 30 yds. down field every play and complete 1 out of every 3 (more than the league avg.).

YardRat
08-17-2014, 06:39 AM
There is also a big difference in being a 10 year NFL veteran and a 10 game NFL veteran.
The offense moved the ball yesterday without 2 starting linemen and for the most part, 2 of it's top receivers. A 12 play, 11 play, two 10 play and a 6 play (int.) drives, show they are moving the ball, they need to work on finishing them. That's what pre seasons are for. I'm sure people are gonna say they were all 5 yd. passes and dump offs, but who cares if they're moving the ball and also look around the league, teams are moving the ball with 1-10 yd. passes. I'm sure a lot more people would be happier if Manuel just launched the ball 30 yds. down field every play and complete 1 out of every 3 (more than the league avg.).

I understand that, and agree with everything you stated, but the premise of the thread is the difference between the 10yr and 10game vets, and there is one. Should anybody be surprised, or expect anything different? Not at all.

Famous Amos
08-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Ej can not continue tossing the short pass on every play... We have WR that can get open and he needs to trust them to be in the right spot. I don't think its the play calling (I'm not a fan either way).
In EJs defense, the o-line wasn't blocking well on pass plays. What he should do is use his feet, get out of the pocket and make a throw on the run. He's athletic enough to use his feet to get out of danger. Maybe that'll be the next step in his development.

imbondz
08-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Roethlisberger is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder since Emmanuel Sanders dissed him in comparing him to Peyton.

I didn't see it as a diss. He said what everyone knows, Manning is an incredible leader.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-17-2014, 07:11 AM
I didn't see it as a diss. He said what everyone knows, Manning is an incredible leader.

It was a diss. Because he then added (and I'm paraphrasing) that Peyton stays late and you don't have to track him down to get on the same page as him or something to that effect.

swiper
08-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Brady may be on the decline, but the team isn't necessarily. In fact, they've beefed up their defense and that unit will likely be one of the better defenses in the league this year.

Fletch
08-17-2014, 08:12 AM
It's more than EJ, but he is a big part of the problem right now.

Our inability to score TDs in the red zone is a major issue, and has plagued us for years. It is partially EJ's fault, but also play calling. I think that in Williams, Watkins and Chandler we have red zone targets that can get the ball - if it is properly thrown. As of now, EJ can't seem to put it where it needs to be. We might also try a running play now and again, with Fred or Dixon, but for now, EJ has to improve in the red zone.

Our second major problem is our secondary getting torched. We let a playmaker, Jairus Byrd, walk away, which many of you thought was fine. I didn't then, and watching the Williams boys and Searcy trying to play his role simply, confirms my thinking now. And Gilmore doesn't seem to be as good as advertised. Without better personnel, I don't know how our pass coverage improves. Maybe McKelvin will help when fully healthy.

For now, our red zone ineffectiveness and our problems stopping the pass look like they will cost us the playoffs for a 15th straight season.

Watkins was never a specific red zone threat at Clemson. That's why they brought Williams on.

swiper
08-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Roethlisberger said it hurt his feelings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/14/big-ben-on-emmanuel-sanders-comment-it-hurt/

ghz in pittsburgh
08-17-2014, 08:20 AM
I actually don't think it was a problem EJ took the easy short passes because the Steelers clamped down on the outside, as they always do. If Brady were playing the Steelers last night, he would go the same route. Now when it is called upon, like the long pass to Chandler that got picked off, Brady would've done better and led Gronk to a perfect spot. Again, I didn't have a problem in general on that play - we were in max protect with limited options; the timing of the pass was right on.

I don't believe the Bills showed all that much in red zone plays. They seemed to want to get power running game going there and they have failed so far. he Steelers go to big Ben almost exclusively (and why not?).

On D, the Bills were the recipient of no-huddle, spread out attack. That forces some confusion as well as LBs into coverage. When safeties were into coverage support in the middle, we have more one-on-one on the outside. We need Gilmore to stay with hi guy a bit more.

I'm wondering how many teams can do no huddle on us effectively during regular season.

imbondz
08-17-2014, 08:25 AM
So the point of this thread is that a 2 time SB winner is better than our 2nd yr QB. k.

We'd all rather have Rothlesberger.

imbondz
08-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Roethlisberger said it hurt his feelings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/14/big-ben-on-emmanuel-sanders-comment-it-hurt/

But just cuz it hurt his feelings doesn't mean it was a diss.

If Rothlesberger thinks he's a better leader than Manning I don't see that at all. I took Sanders comments as him just highlighting his experience with Manning so far.

Sanders responded by saying he didn't mean it as a diss.

“He’s going to say whatever he can about the quarterback he is with,” Roethlisberger said. “I was more disappointed he didn’t reach out to me. I know he told some other guys: ‘You know I love Ben, I didn’t mean it like that.’ I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.”

Skooby
08-17-2014, 08:32 AM
But just cuz it hurt his feelings doesn't mean it was a diss.

If Rothlesberger thinks he's a better leader than Manning I don't see that at all. I took Sanders comments as him just highlighting his experience with Manning so far.

Sanders responded by saying he didn't mean it as a diss.

“He’s going to say whatever he can about the quarterback he is with,” Roethlisberger said. “I was more disappointed he didn’t reach out to me. I know he told some other guys: ‘You know I love Ben, I didn’t mean it like that.’ I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.”

Boo hoo, Joannie loves Chachi.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-17-2014, 08:40 AM
So the point of this thread is that a 2 time SB winner is better than our 2nd yr QB. k.

We'd all rather have Rothlesberger.

Take it easy, man. Just observation. Don't know the Bills have a true leader since Kelly retired. Right now, EJ is just one of the guys trying to make it. On small example: when the Steelers doing whole team stretch, Rothlisberger went around shake hands or high five every Steelers laying on the ground. I don't know why he did this but it is clear he is "da man". I looked on Bills side, EJ was on 1st row, 3rd in his row doing jumping jacks with half field full of Bills players. Now if EJ did what Ben did, it would be very inappropriate.

stuckincincy
08-17-2014, 12:47 PM
is simply they have Ben and we have EJ.

Trust me the Steelers are going to be much better than last year. Roethlisberger seems to be more motivated going into his last year even though we all know he's never going to leave the Steelers. OLine is noticeably better and Polamalu is healthy.

Overall, I think the Bills are on par in talent level to the Steelers, maybe a bit more even.

PGH got pummeled in the stats last night. Their run game is atrocious. They've lost their "darling" treatment from the refs. I don't think they would win but a game or two game if Ben R went out.