PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller had only 6 Touches vs. Steelers

Famous Amos
08-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Is that out of the ordinary or is it just the Bills saving him for the season? He didn't have any catches.
The reason why it sticks out to me is because last year I recall the much reported quote from Hackett sayng they are going to give Spiller the ball until he pukes.
I realize this is the preseason and they know what they have in Spiller, but Fred Jackson, the oldest running back in the NFL, was out there in the second quarter(13 touches). I didn't see Spiller past the second offensive series.
If Spiller is the future, I want to see him get in as much work with Manuel as possible.

SpikedLemonade
08-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Spiller is not the future.

Jaybird
08-17-2014, 07:50 AM
RB don't need the extra abuse of preseason... smart move for not overplaying him

Homegrown
08-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Ugh, the Bill's can't even "showcase" their most tradable offense asset with out failing...

ParanoidAndroid
08-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Pre-season.

Skooby
08-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Spiller's dancing gives Marrone indigestion.

coastal
08-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Spiller, Gilmore, EJ, Mario, Cyrus Kouandjio, TJ Graham, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley

all aboard the fail boat.

YardRat
08-17-2014, 08:41 AM
He's on the block...can't risk a moveable asset to injury. No other reason to have him return the opening kick off. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working the phones today trying to finalize the details of a deal.

better days
08-17-2014, 10:05 AM
He's on the block...can't risk a moveable asset to injury. No other reason to have him return the opening kick off. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working the phones today trying to finalize the details of a deal.

Well, if the Bills are going to trade Spiller, it better be for a QB & a good one at that.

kingJofNYC
08-17-2014, 11:18 AM
They have no clue how to use him anyway.

How pitiful were the screens we attempted last night? Last year we had no screen game, and it continues into this year, just a pathetic display. If you want to contain a teams pass rush, you better have a good quick game, and a screen game or you're in for a long afternoon. Our 3 step game is junk, batted balls all game long, and our screen game left when Gailey and Joe D were shown the door. Makes me sick that we went from one of the best screens games in football to ****ing straight bottom tier. All coaching.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-17-2014, 11:21 AM

How pitiful were the screens we attempted last night? Last year we had no screen game, and it continues into this year, just a pathetic display. If you want to contain a teams pass rush, you better have a good quick game, and a screen game or you're in for a long afternoon. Our 3 step game is junk, batted balls all game long, and our screen game left when Gailey and Joe D were shown the door. Makes me sick that we went from one of the best screens games in football to ****ing straight bottom tier. All coaching.

It wasn't all coaching.

kingJofNYC
08-17-2014, 11:27 AM
It wasn't all coaching.

A lot of it is though, bad personnel decisions as well.

stuckincincy
08-17-2014, 11:43 AM

If so, I'd think that it would be a trade involving a rb plus draft compensation. Jackson's age always enters into the picture, so you'd think they would be looking for a back capable of the 200 or so carries Spiller had, the past 2 seasons. I've no idea who would fill that.

Famous Amos
08-17-2014, 01:57 PM
To Jaybird- I get that so why did Jackson, the oldest running back in the league, play more than Spiller? If anything, Spiller needs more conditioning. I remember Gailey saying something about Spiller being prone to getting winded.

Famous Amos
08-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Yeah I thought that was odd. Why risk Spiller getting injured on a kickoff? Give those duties to one of their DBs.

Mr. Pink
08-17-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't see why they'd trade Spiller now. I mean I do get trading him if you think the possibility of resigning him is zero or if you don't even want to bother resigning him. I also would get if they have no plans on resigning him too. But wait til before the deadline and hope a team runs into some injury problems at the position to try and maximize his value.

If no team has injury problems or Spiller shows what he showed last year, his value before the deadline will be the exact same as it is now which is likely a 3rd or 4th round pick. If some desperate team like the Colts last year comes along, maybe you can pull a major coup.

GingerP
08-17-2014, 02:47 PM

It is amazing how they can't figure out a way to get him the ball in space. The guy is one of the most dangerous big-play threats in the open field in the entire league, yet they can't figure out how to do anything by hand the ball off to him. Spiller even has good hands as a receiver, but he only averaged 5.6 yards-per-catch on 33 receptions last year. How does that happen?

Trading him would be monumentally foolish because they aren't going to get value for him. Are they going to take a guy 9th overall and flip him 3 years later for a 3rd? It isn't worth it, I'd rather they keep him.

The Jokeman
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't see why they'd trade Spiller now. I mean I do get trading him if you think the possibility of resigning him is zero or if you don't even want to bother resigning him. I also would get if they have no plans on resigning him too. But wait til before the deadline and hope a team runs into some injury problems at the position to try and maximize his value.

If no team has injury problems or Spiller shows what he showed last year, his value before the deadline will be the exact same as it is now which is likely a 3rd or 4th round pick. If some desperate team like the Colts last year comes along, maybe you can pull a major coup.

The Bills gave up a 3rd/4th for Bryce Brown, that tells me Spiller's value is higher. I say a 2nd or possibly a 1st depending who we're shopping him to. As it's a playoff contender like San Fran I say a 2nd is too little but their 1st makes sense. Yet I still maintain Spiller is the best RB on the current roster and wouldn't give him up for anything if the Bills are serious about trying to be a playoff team/wild card contender in 2014.

stuckincincy
08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
It is amazing how they can't figure out a way to get him the ball in space. The guy is one of the most dangerous big-play threats in the open field in the entire league, yet they can't figure out how to do anything by hand the ball off to him. Spiller even has good hands as a receiver, but he only averaged 5.6 yards-per-catch on 33 receptions last year. How does that happen?

Trading him would be monumentally foolish because they aren't going to get value for him. Are they going to take a guy 9th overall and flip him 3 years later for a 3rd? It isn't worth it, I'd rather they keep him.

They are stuck with him.

He's a rb with an odd, terrific tunnel vision - he sees a block that has a crack of daylight, he hits it, he has a juke close to his line burst, and uses his wheels. Spiller popping through decent line play equals big yards. He's kept BUF in many a game. He can't pound the ball in goal line scrums or 3rd and inches - No leg drive that I've noticed.

Ever since he was drafted, folks talked about outside speed - he doesn't really have notable lateral speed. He cuts the outside corner, but nothing special. He's a dump-off pass option, not a strategic option.. He can't catch and cut up field very well consistently. IMO. Folks waxed about using him for wr duty. They still do. 5 years now - nobody has seen that, and the various coaching staffs knew he is no wr.

I scratch my head about who would want to trade for him. He by all accounts a nice young man. Always plays hard. But I can't see how he fits in as a "regular" starting rb, if that makes sense.

GreedoII
08-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Is that out of the ordinary or is it just the Bills saving him for the season? He didn't have any catches.
The reason why it sticks out to me is because last year I recall the much reported quote from Hackett sayng they are going to give Spiller the ball until he pukes.
I realize this is the preseason and they know what they have in Spiller, but Fred Jackson, the oldest running back in the NFL, was out there in the second quarter(13 touches). I didn't see Spiller past the second offensive series.
If Spiller is the future, I want to see him get in as much work with Manuel as possible.

Who cares..it preseason....every question answered and response to stupid threads like these until Week 1 is...."it's preseason who cares!!!!"

GingerP
08-18-2014, 11:31 AM
The Bills gave up a 3rd/4th for Bryce Brown, that tells me Spiller's value is higher. I say a 2nd or possibly a 1st depending who we're shopping him to. As it's a playoff contender like San Fran I say a 2nd is too little but their 1st makes sense.

You have to factor in contract when discussing compensation. The Bills get Brown for 2 years for a total of 1.23M. His contract is such a value that made him more attractive. Any team that trades for Spiller only gets him for 1-Year and has to pay him $3.5M.

I doubt anyone gives more than a 3rd for Spiller at this point, maybe they will make it conditional so it can become a 2nd if he performs well, but nobody is giving a 1st. The RB market is too depressed, they just aren't valued as high. Most teams have RB already on their roster as well, so there aren't as many suitors. His greatest value is on the Bills right now.

jimmifli
08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
They are stuck with him.

He's a rb with an odd, terrific tunnel vision - he sees a block that has a crack of daylight, he hits it, he has a juke close to his line burst, and uses his wheels. Spiller popping through decent line play equals big yards. He's kept BUF in many a game. He can't pound the ball in goal line scrums or 3rd and inches - No leg drive that I've noticed.

Ever since he was drafted, folks talked about outside speed - he doesn't really have notable lateral speed. He cuts the outside corner, but nothing special. He's a dump-off pass option, not a strategic option.. He can't catch and cut up field very well consistently. IMO. Folks waxed about using him for wr duty. They still do. 5 years now - nobody has seen that, and the various coaching staffs knew he is no wr.

I scratch my head about who would want to trade for him. He by all accounts a nice young man. Always plays hard. But I can't see how he fits in as a "regular" starting rb, if that makes sense.
Behind a compentent OL with an intelligent OC (not exactly huge requirements), I think he's the best screen RB in the NFL. Chan could OC him to 2000 all purpose yards.

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Behind a compentent OL with an intelligent OC (not exactly huge requirements), I think he's the best screen RB in the NFL. Chan could OC him to 2000 all purpose yards.

Perhaps, but the current bunch of rules favor down field passing. And there seems to be a recent emphasis on interior DL rush, which can drives the qb's launch point back.

Famous Amos
08-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Who cares..it preseason....every question answered and response to stupid threads like these until Week 1 is...."it's preseason who cares!!!!"

Just passing the time before the season starts.

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Just passing the time before the season starts.

Same here. No use wasting ammunition until the real hostilities commence. :zapper: :kid:

Woodman
08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Spiller would be a superstar with the right QB and Coordinator. (we have neither)

He's worth every bit of a 1st round pick if you were of a mind to trade him.

better days
08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Spiller would be a superstar with the right QB and Coordinator. (we have neither)

He's worth every bit of a 1st round pick if you were of a mind to trade him.

Well, I said I wanted a good QB for CJ in a trade, but I would take a first rnd pick in a heartbeat.

Famous Amos
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't mind a starting linebacker in a trade

sudzy
08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, if the Bills are going to trade Spiller, it better be for a QB & a good one at that.

I thought you were in the "give EJ a chance" crowd. Now your open to bringing in his replacement and kicking him to the curb?