• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Is Manuel tipping people off?

I don't know if there is any truth to this. Has anyone else read or heard this: On another board two posters acknowledge that Manuel sticks his mouthpiece in his helmet on passing plays:

Yes ej is still putting his mouth piece in his helmet on all downs he plans on passing.
    I noticed that about the mouthpiece as well. I hope nobody will tell opposing coaches.
    I noticed the mouthpiece thing last week, but haven't watched to see his tendencies when he does it. One thing that I picked up on Losman was his stance behind center on running and passing plays - complete different stance for running plays (he had one leg back a little further) - it was 100% accurate in whether they would run or pass. It was unbelievable to see a pro team do something that was such a big tell. If this is the same thing with EJ - shame on the coaching staff.
    ?
    Last edited by swiper; 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM.
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Is Manuel tipping people off?

Jim Kelly used to keep his chinstrap unbuckled on running plays... it wasn't until oh... i think the 1990 season he stopped doing that all the time.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

If so, it's obviously something opposing coaches and players will be able to figure out for themselves. But it's also an easy fix.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

Tipping or Pissing?

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            That's not proof of anything except for him doing it one passing play. Has anyone seen every play and that he does it every passing play and never on running plays?

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

There's been multiple tipped footballs.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                There's been multiple tipped footballs.
                It might be style of line play. CIN's OL coaching often has them chuck hard and back off, and savvy DLs get those arms up. Result being that Dalton gets batted down a fair amount.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                  Jim Kelly used to keep his chinstrap unbuckled on running plays... it wasn't until oh... i think the 1990 season he stopped doing that all the time.
                  I'm sorry I deleted the game replay from my DVR. After reading this thread, I would have gone back and looked for that old bugaboo...OLs pointing their feet in anticipation.

Comment

• Ed
                    Dude
                    • Sep 2002

I noticed it in his helmet on a number of plays, but I can't confirm if it was only on passing plays. Either way, I think he should just ditch it all together if he's not using it that much. Does he really need a mouthpiece? I'm pretty sure the NFL doesn't require it for qb's and I believe there's a number of qb's that don't use one at all. I could be wrong though.

I have access to all the preseason games through nfl.com, so I might go back and try to see if I can tell when he has it in and when he doesn't.
                    Last edited by Ed; 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      It might be style of line play. CIN's OL coaching often has them chuck hard and back off, and savvy DLs get those arms up. Result being that Dalton gets batted down a fair amount.
                      Dalton is probably the single biggest reason that Cincy can't make it deep into the playoffs.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                        Dalton is probably the single biggest reason that Cincy can't make it deep into the playoffs.
                        HCFL Marvin Lewis and his 0 and 5 playoff record will give you one of his condescending sneers.

Comment

• kishoph
                          • Jun 2003

There are dozens and dozens of pictures of Manuel in live action on the net and not one shows him with his mouthpiece on his helmet, the picture above (which is probably the reason this foolishness got started) is from the scrimmage against the Steelers last week. I did DVR the game and watched a couple of pass plays, but without the ability to zoom, you really can't tell, but I do feel stupid for even bothering to check. Common sense should tell you that if any QB was going to leave his mouthpiece out it would be on a running play, where the chances of him getting hit are low and not when he's passing with a much higher chance of getting hit. Then again it's obvious there wasn't much common sense used when starting this rumor.
                          I do think he may wiggle his toes on passing plays though, I hope no other coaches pick up on it.
                          Last edited by kishoph; 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                            There are dozens and dozens of pictures of Manuel in live action on the net and not one shows him with his mouthpiece on his helmet, the picture above (which is probably the reason this foolishness got started) is from the scrimmage against the Steelers last week. I did DVR the game and watched a couple of pass plays, but without the ability to zoom, you really can't tell, but I do feel stupid for even bothering to check. Common sense should tell you that if any QB was going to leave his mouthpiece out it would be on a running play, where the chances of him getting hit are low and not when he's passing with a much higher chance of getting hit. Then again it's obvious there wasn't much common sense used when starting this rumor.
                            I do think he may wiggle his toes on passing plays though, I hope no other coaches pick up on it.
                            No. It was posted by one poster at the end of the thread I had been reading. Obviously one photo didn't start that rumor. The only reason I even reposted it was for people, like you, who wanted to go relook - so you could see where he was putting it.
                            Last edited by swiper; 08-18-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              I don't know if there is any truth to this. Has anyone else read or heard this: On another board two posters acknowledge that Manuel sticks his mouthpiece in his helmet on passing plays:

?
                              It's a good observation, worthy of at least looking in to.

NFL coaches look for, "tendencies," on film all day long.

Whether a QB puts his mouthpiece in his helmet, or licks his fingers every time before a pass or run, coaches study these kind of things more than anyone thinks.

I would like to forget how the Dallas Cowboys defense basically knew every play the Bills were running or passing in the Super Bowls.

Comment

Working...
                              X