PDA

View Full Version : Kouandjio isn't ready for the NFL

Skooby
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
I went back & watched him play the past few pre-season games, the guy is completely lost out there. It's not just missed blocking assignments, it's missed plays. There was several distinct plays that he literally is going the wrong way, so he has no idea what play was called. Add in incredibly poor footwork, slow to react and being completely over-powered by guys that weren't even drafted.

We whiffed on picking him, so we're 2 for 3 on guys we drafted for the O-line this year. As the old song goes, 2 out 3 ain't bad. I'd plan on him spending time on the Practice Squad but there's an outside chance we just cut bait, we're all in this year and IMO he's never going to be starting in the NFL (anywhere).

Ed
08-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but he did just turn 21. With Henderson playing so well it should at least buy him some time to develop.

Skooby
08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but he did just turn 21. With Henderson playing so well it should at least buy him some time to develop.

He's a complete liability every way I looked at. I'd rather try to fatten up Chandler & get him on the line.

SpikedLemonade
08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
This thread fits under the "Even a Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut" or "A Broken Clock is Right Twice a Day" category.

Skooby got this one right.

Skooby
08-18-2014, 02:10 PM
This thread fits under the "Even a Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut" or "A Broken Clock is Right Twice a Day" category.

Skooby got this one right.

It's actually scary they kept him in there at the end, I guess they wanted to assure we wouldn't see OT.

Ed
08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
He's a complete liability every way I looked at. I'd rather try to fatten up Chandler & get him on the line.
Agreed, but at least they don't have to depend on him being a starter right now and still got what looks like a pretty good OT in the draft.

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 02:36 PM
It's actually scary they kept him in there at the end, I guess they wanted to assure we wouldn't see OT.

I was surprised they kicked that late FG. Who in the h*ll tries to force a pre-season game into OT? Tuesday Morning Quarterback's "football gods" acted to cause the subsequent turnover and FG by PIT... :chuckle:

THATHURMANATOR
08-18-2014, 02:39 PM
He does look horrible but I don't think he can be written off yet.

Especially since Henderson and Richardson look good. It buys him time for sure.

Gilly
08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Its a solid pick. 2 or 3 years he will be a 10 year starter on right side...

Knee is the question mark not performance...

THATHURMANATOR
08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't know if I am that confident about it Gilly but he was a beast in College for the power team in the power conference. There is talent but he is lost as they come right now.

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't know if I am that confident about it Gilly but he was a beast in College for the power team in the power conference. There is talent but he is lost as they come right now.

I'm fairly certain he will be (strategically) be placed on the IR list. Keeping 3 rookie OLs on an active roster is a bit unusual IMO.

Gilly
08-18-2014, 02:47 PM

You are right he is completely lost now. He is just a dumb kid in his first starts in the big leagues...

Another thread said he is 21 and Glenn was 23 his first year...

Let's compare the 2 when Kujo turns 23...

THATHURMANATOR
08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm fairly certain he will be (strategically) be placed on the IR list. Keeping 3 rookie OLs on an active roster is a bit unusual IMO.

Hmm that is possible!

- - - Updated - - -

You are right he is completely lost now. He is just a dumb kid in his first starts in the big leagues...

Another thread said he is 21 and Glenn was 23 his first year...

Let's compare the 2 when Kujo turns 23...

I hope you are right!! I am rooting for it!

Skooby
08-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Oh man, dirty pool but it will work.

Goobylal
08-18-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd move him inside. He's not suited to play RT at the moment.

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Oh man, dirty pool but it will work.

It's a common practice. And it will be, until the NFL tries to revise the rules for plucking a player off the practice squad. Which would be a battle with the NFLPA.

Novacane
08-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Will someone pick him up if we cut him and try and practice squad him? He's that bad that I don't think he should be on the roster. If he has to go into a game EJ is dead meat!

- - - Updated - - -

Mystery injury! Great idea!

stuckincincy
08-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Will someone pick him up if we cut him and try and practice squad him? He's that bad that I don't think he should be on the roster. If he has to go into a game EJ is dead meat!

- - - Updated - - -

Mystery injury! Great idea!

It's as old as the hills. The ploy is as old as the concept of IR is.

Mr. Pink
08-18-2014, 03:37 PM
I don't see how he can justifiably make the team, he's that bad.

SpikedLemonade
08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I'd move him inside. He's not suited to play RT at the moment.

I agree and that is the obvious move but if you watch him closely over this past 3 games, he is just not ready to be playing NFL football at any position.

alnilla
08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I went back & watched him play the past few pre-season games, the guy is completely lost out there. It's not just missed blocking assignments, it's missed plays. There was several distinct plays that he literally is going the wrong way, so he has no idea what play was called. Add in incredibly poor footwork, slow to react and being completely over-powered by guys that weren't even drafted.

We whiffed on picking him, so we're 2 for 3 on guys we drafted for the O-line this year. As the old song goes, 2 out 3 ain't bad. I'd plan on him spending time on the Practice Squad but there's an outside chance we just cut bait, we're all in this year and IMO he's never going to be starting in the NFL (anywhere).

You seriously had to go back and watch some tape??

Skooby
08-18-2014, 04:46 PM
You seriously had to go back and watch some tape??

I thought it was pertinent to know tendencies & for betting purposes, this guy isn't starting in the NFL.

better days
08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought it was pertinent to know tendencies & for betting purposes, this guy isn't starting in the NFL.

No question about that for now.

But Marrone said after the Steelers game that he is improving.

Marrone likes his physical attributes, I expect Kouandjio to make the team & sit on the bench this year.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 10:26 AM
No question about that for now.

But Marrone said after the Steelers game that he is improving.

Marrone likes his physical attributes, I expect Kouandjio to make the team & sit on the bench this year.

It'd be abnormal to cut a early second rounder in TC but there's ways to stash the guy until further notice. Also if coming around is getting your QB killed & directly contributing to losing a game, I dare not fathom where the guy started.

Mr. Miyagi
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Really? We give a second round young rookie a training camp and 3 pre-season games and call it quits?

Player development is a thing of the past now huh?

Ginger Vitis
08-19-2014, 11:28 AM

So you take into consideration a likely backup RT so much for betting purposes you felt compelled to watch him on tape over and over again...

OpIv37
08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Really? We give a second round young rookie a training camp and 3 pre-season games and call it quits?

No one said that, but there has to be a point where a player is so bad that the coaches know they will never be able to develop him? If the people doing their drafting it shouldn't happen often at the NFL level, but mistakes will be made (and this team has made a lot of them).

Is Kwyjibo that bad? Well, only the coaches know that.

better days
08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
It'd be abnormal to cut a early second rounder in TC but there's ways to stash the guy until further notice. Also if coming around is getting your QB killed & directly contributing to losing a game, I dare not fathom where the guy started.

Marrone compared OT play to CB play, he said when a guy has a bad play, EVERYONE sees it.

But he said Kujo has had some good plays nobody notices.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 12:07 PM
So you take into consideration a likely backup RT so much for betting purposes you felt compelled to watch him on tape over and over again...

I compare possible starters for teams and how they match up, our guy doesn't even fall in the CFL O-line category right now.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 12:11 PM
No one said that, but there has to be a point where a player is so bad that the coaches know they will never be able to develop him? If the people doing their drafting it shouldn't happen often at the NFL level, but mistakes will be made (and this team has made a lot of them).

Is Kwyjibo that bad? Well, only the coaches know that.

I stressed Stevie was a goner for several months, writing threads about his poor attitude & everyone here defended him, you know how that went. Right now, there's a tipping point that's been reached for this guy. There has to be something to work with and this guy may not be physically right to play (knee?).

Skooby
08-19-2014, 12:20 PM

You did see the guess the score contest thread for the previous week right, I usually can get pretty close which helps a ton with the over / under.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2014, 01:19 PM

If he was a 6th or 7th round pick, he wouldn't make it past 1st cutdown day.

The fact that he's a second round pick may save him a roster spot, not that he deserves one.

John Doe
08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
If he was a 6th or 7th round pick, he wouldn't make it past 1st cutdown day.

The fact that he's a second round pick may save him a roster spot, not that he deserves one.

But the fact remains that he is a second round pick for a reason - that being that he has physical talent that may have some real upside.

It already has been noted that the guy is only 21 years old. Are you seriously saying that he should be cut right now.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2014, 05:00 PM
But the fact remains that he is a second round pick for a reason - that being that he has physical talent that may have some real upside.

It already has been noted that the guy is only 21 years old. Are you seriously saying that he should be cut right now.

Yes.

Admit the mistake and move on from it. Don't just hold on to him because you overdrafted him.

The Jokeman
08-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Yes.

Admit the mistake and move on from it. Don't just hold on to him because you overdrafted him.

Alex Carrington looked like he was over drafted and eventually developed into a solid ST contributor/rotational D-lineman, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater just yet. Give Kujo three seasons before casting him aside I say.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Alex Carrington looked like he was over drafted and eventually developed into a solid ST contributor/rotational D-lineman, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater just yet. Give Kujo three seasons before casting him aside I say.

At who's expense ? Hate to leave a this season contributor off our roster.

John Doe
08-19-2014, 05:09 PM
At who's expense ? Hate to leave a this season contributor off our roster.

Kujo would be the 9th offensive lineman on the team. That level seldom sees the gameday roster.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Kujo would be the 9th offensive lineman on the team. That level seldom sees the gameday roster.

And then someone gets hurt and maybe you're stuck putting him on the field.

From what we've seen on the field of the guy, I'm not even sure he's PS material.

John Doe
08-19-2014, 06:17 PM
And then someone gets hurt and maybe you're stuck putting him on the field.

From what we've seen on the field of the guy, I'm not even sure he's PS material.

At least 2 linemen have to go down before Kujo makes the gameday roster.

Rookies usually get better. It is not inconceivable that Kujo improves.

Richardson was considered by many a wasted pick after the first few weeks of practice. He improved and now it looks like he can contribute.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 06:19 PM
At least 2 linemen have to go down before Kujo makes the gameday roster.

Rookies usually get better. It is not inconceivable that Kujo improves.

Richardson was considered by many a wasted pick after the first few weeks of practice. He improved and now it looks like he can contribute.

Richardson looks like Glenn compared to this guy.

John Doe
08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Richardson looks like Glenn compared to this guy.

Did he look that way after the first few weeks of practice?

Richardson made some really good progress. Kujo may well do the same.

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Richardson had to learn to play the right side, after playing on the left side his whole college career. No wonder it took him a little time to adjust.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Richardson had to learn to play the right side, after playing on the left side his whole college career. No wonder it took him a little time to adjust.

That is not a multi-year learning curve.

OpIv37
08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Shame on all of you for missing my hilarious Simpsons reference.

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
That is not a multi-year learning curve.
Well good thing then that it's only been a little over 3 months.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Well good thing then that it's only been a little over 3 months.

It'll take some time, Seantrel was a RT in college so his movement to that position is old hat.

BB4ever
08-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Never was it was stupid for us to take a flyer as a round 2 pick. Not saying all the other teams docs are smarter than ours because I dont have to the play speaks for itself!!

Goobylal
08-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Word is that Pears is looking really good at RG. So that should be 4 of the 5 positions set. Hopefully Chris Williams proves to be worth what they paid him, or someone good (better) takes his place.

Fletch
08-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Preston Brown is the same liability based on what I've seen. He gets pushed around way too easily.

At this point the only two rookies for which reasonable hopes this season exist are Henderson as everyone has pointed out and Watkins.

Having said that, a number of people have noticed that Watkins has had trouble separating himself from better CBs and he's been targeted 7 times with only 3 catches so far in preseason, for an average of only 7 ypr. That's obviously not why they traded away next year's 1st and 4th.

Being wide open in the end zone to make a one-handed catch isn't going to be a common luxury for the rookie. Once again, will Watkins' speed be mitigated by the physical nature of the game otherwise in the NFL? Who knows at this point, just throwing the question out there rhetorically, but he has hardly lit up secondaries in the preseason. Whether that automatically changes come regular season remains to be seen, but there is definitely room for doubt or concern.

If he struggles as a rookie then it's not going to be good from a number of perspectives.

better days
08-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Preston Brown is the same liability based on what I've seen. He gets pushed around way too easily.

At this point the only two rookies for which reasonable hopes this season exist are Henderson as everyone has pointed out and Watkins.

Having said that, a number of people have noticed that Watkins has had trouble separating himself from better CBs and he's been targeted 7 times with only 3 catches so far in preseason, for an average of only 7 ypr. That's obviously not why they traded away next year's 1st and 4th.

Being wide open in the end zone to make a one-handed catch isn't going to be a common luxury for the rookie. Once again, will Watkins' speed be mitigated by the physical nature of the game otherwise in the NFL? Who knows at this point, just throwing the question out there rhetorically, but he has hardly lit up secondaries in the preseason. Whether that automatically changes come regular season remains to be seen, but there is definitely room for doubt or concern.

If he struggles as a rookie then it's not going to be good from a number of perspectives.

With the penalties being called against DB's this year, the NFL is getting less & less physical.

And exactly which CB's has Watkins had trouble separating himself from?

When real football starts, you can expect Watkins to catch a lot of balls & draw a lot of flags against DB's.