PDA

View Full Version : 27 attempts, 140 yards

Buffalogic
08-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Preseason yadda yadda, but these low yardage totals from the QB position were a weekly occurance last year for EJ.

The latest game he needed 27 attempts to put up 140 yards. In order to sniff the 300 yard mark EJ will need to throw the ball a whopping 60 times a game. That's disastrous. EJ should be throwing 27 times per game, not per half.

This is a major problem and if the offense doesn't accept and modify their philosophy in order to adjust this we are going to be in a world of hurt as fans this year.

EDS
08-18-2014, 05:26 PM
When you have a passing attack that is consistently productive like the Bills, why not throw the ball 60 times a game!

Fletch
08-18-2014, 05:28 PM
This is a major problem and if the offense doesn't accept and modify their philosophy in order to adjust this we are going to be in a world of hurt as fans this year.

Good luck with that.

For starters that would mean that the staff knows what they're doing.

Secondly, they've got the same dilemma that Jimbo Fisher and his crew had except that the Bills are not FSU and the rest of the league the ACC.

Fletch
08-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Besides, how are they going to modify his behavior, specifically?

The problem seems to be the lack of a deep ball, but his deep ball accuracy sucks. We're not going to win many games by simply throwing it up guesswork style.

It seems to me that they're doing what you said, modifying their philosophy, but are now also simultaneously saying to themselves, "oh siht! He's not as good as we thought."

Seriously, good luck to them. Let's see what Downing can do after underachieving with Stafford.

Downinfloflo
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Sounds like your typical Buffalo Bills football.

elltrain22
08-18-2014, 05:39 PM
News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.

Mr. Miyagi
08-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm starting to lose faith in Manuel as well. Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.

He's not changing any of the doubters' minds let's just say.

jimmifli
08-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.

I've noticed a couple of plays where he dumped it off and still had time, but for the most part his dump offs have been while facing pressure or a collapsing pocket.

The line is struggling at G and RT. Cordy's return should help, since Henderson has been alright in pass protection at LT (he looked lost on a couple of screens). But both G's are still giving up pressure.

Not excusing EJ's performance, but our line hasn't been stellar.

Buffalogic
08-18-2014, 06:10 PM
News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.You get no points for moving the chains. You get points for scoring and 3 points a quarter isn't going to cut it. Nobody is asking him to be Brady. But he can't even be Dalton. It's sad.

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Preseason yadda yadda, but these low yardage totals from the QB position were a weekly occurance last year for EJ.

The latest game he needed 27 attempts to put up 140 yards. In order to sniff the 300 yard mark EJ will need to throw the ball a whopping 60 times a game. That's disastrous. EJ should be throwing 27 times per game, not per half.

15/25 199 1 TD 1 INT
18/27 206 1 TD 1 INT
11/27 108 1 TD 1 INT
15/23 172 1 TD 0 INT
======================
09/18 103 0 TD 0 INT
16/25 215 1 TD 0 INT
18/25 206 2 TD 0 INT

You know what that was? The stat line or Russell Wilson's last 7 games last year. The reason for the divider? I was breaking up regular season from playoffs.

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm starting to lose faith in Manuel as well. Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.

He's not changing any of the doubters' minds let's just say.

and yet he's driving his team down the field and putting us in position to score points. Now if we (as it's not all on EJ why we've failed to score TDs) could just manage to get a TD here or there instead of having to settle on a FG or go for it on 4th down in lieu of accepting a FG we might have won every preseason we've played this year.

EDS
News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.

Russell Wilson is averaging over 8 yards per pass attempt for his career, without the benefit of a very good offensive line or (except for a very small period of time given Harvin's injuries) a bona fide number one receiver. But yes, he is a game manager, and I am sure we can expect similar results from EJ.

Yasgur's Farm
News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.Exactly!! But that's nowhere good enough for those who must proclaim they are right. If he ain't Luck, Manning, Brady then he "sucks" period.

Mike
08-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Exactly!! But that's nowhere good enough for those who must proclaim they are right. If he ain't Luck, Manning, Brady then he "sucks" period.

Your mistaking a couple of trees for the forest.

Wilson is 'that good' and he does have that 'it' quality!

No other QB has had a better start to his nfl career! Wilson is GOAT in his first 2 seasons!

Rookie
Record 26TDs as a rookie playing for a team that had a hard time making the playoffs!

Took them to playoffs as a wild card and won first game. Lead a huge 20+ point come from behind vs Atlanta @ atl to grab a lead in last minuets of the game. The Seatle defense lost lead & game by allowing Atlanta to kick game winning FG.

2nd Season
Threw for 26TD, had a bit of a sophomore slump but played lights out when it counted most: vs 49ers in championship game (against an awesome D) and in SB vs Broncos.

* No other QB has ever won more games to start career than Wilson
* No other rookie has more TDs
* No 2 year player has had more TDs other than Marino
* Great Completion %
* Pro-Bowler

When Brady won his 1st SB people were saying same thing. Great D & run game he had little to do with winning. Then in time, Brady became 'Brady' and now he is the reason "well, they have Brady'.

**** If you think I'm wrong, think about all the great defensive teams than never won an SB. Think of all of the QBs that were drafted by some of those great Defensive teams that couldn't do what Wilson did. ****

If it's that easy, it would be common!

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Your mistaking a couple of trees for the forest.

Wilson is 'that good' and he does have that 'it' quality!

No other QB has had a better start to his nfl career! Wilson is GOAT in his first 2 seasons!

Rookie
Record 26TDs as a rookie playing for a team that had a hard time making the playoffs!

Took them to playoffs as a wild card and won first game. Lead a huge 20+ point come from behind vs Atlanta @ atl to grab a lead in last minuets of the game. The Seatle defense lost lead & game by allowing Atlanta to kick game winning FG.

2nd Season
Threw for 26TD, had a bit of a sophomore slump but played lights out when it counted most: vs 49ers in championship game (against an awesome D) and in SB vs Broncos.

* No other rookie has more TDs
* No 2 year player has had more TDs other than Marino
* Great Completion %
* Pro-Bowler

When Brady won his 1st SB people were saying same thing. Great D & run game he had little to do with winning. Then in time, Brady became 'Brady' and now he is the reason "well, they have Brady'.

**** If you think I'm wrong, think about all the great defensive teams than never won an SB. Think of all of the QBs that were drafted by some of those great Defensive teams that couldn't do what Wilson did. ****

If it's that easy, it would be common!

The fact is if you put Andrew Luck or RGIII in Seattle instead of Wilson and you could argue they'd be just as successful assuming the Seahawks didn't have to use a 1st Round pick on them. As I think that's what makes up Wilson's value. As you look at his numbers and he is a game manager as eluded. Sure he's had a few big games of 3 TDs sprinkled in to improve his overall stats but if you're telling me Russell is great I will argue that having 10 games he played last year with 1 or less TDs passing makes him average to below average. Face it playing with one of the league's defenses and Marshawn Lynch has been amongst the top 5 RBs the last two seasons has helped Wilson tons. Imagine if Luck had a RB as good as Lynch to pair with his skill set and a D as strong as the Seahawks which team/player would you wager on winning?

BillsImpossible
08-18-2014, 07:25 PM

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/careerstats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

Russell Wilson passed for an average of 195 yards per game in his rookie season in 2012, and 210 yards per game last year.

What about Eli Manning?

Over 10 years Eli Manning has passed for an average of....

231 yards per game.

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

Ingtar33
08-19-2014, 03:36 AM

I have problems believing that. didn't Ben Rothlesburger go like 20 games in the regular season without a loss to start his career or something like that? his rookie year was a 15-1 season and his 2nd year was a superbowl championship after going 11-5 in the regular season so he was something stupid like 30-7 in his first two years? I'm pretty sure the seahawks didn't have a record like that over the last two seasons (27-9 including playoffs)

delectrolux
08-19-2014, 07:04 AM
So, game planning and play selection don't come into play at all? 27 pass plays for EJ with only 12 touches between Fred and CJ. I would assume that in the regular season, we might be focusing on the run a bit more - which might force the defense to open up downfield, which would hopefully lead to more yardage strikes. I know there's "assume" and "might" and "hopefully" in that last sentence, but this team's past, coupled with statements they've made, combined with the RB talent leads me to believe the ratio to run/pass will be very much different. And that can't help but change the yards per reception totals.

Bills Juggernaut
08-19-2014, 07:22 AM
What scares me is that teams aren't game planing for the Bills right now. When the regular season comes, and teams realize that EJ thrives on the short/ dump off passes, they will plan to take away the short passing game. That will leave the middle to deep field vulnerable. I don't think EJ has the mental makeup nor the accuracy to take advantage of it. I really do feel that once teams start game planning against our short passing game, we are gong to be in a lot of trouble......

justasportsfan
08-19-2014, 07:54 AM

I would rather he keeps throwing the ball in preseason to try and get his arm ready for regular season. Maybe he'll fix some things in the process. If he is to make mistakes that he could learn from, I'd rather he do it in preseason .

Save the legs of the running backs for regular season because we're going to need them.

Buffalogic
08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
15/25 199 1 TD 1 INT
18/27 206 1 TD 1 INT
11/27 108 1 TD 1 INT
15/23 172 1 TD 0 INT
======================
09/18 103 0 TD 0 INT
16/25 215 1 TD 0 INT
18/25 206 2 TD 0 INT

You know what that was? The stat line or Russell Wilson's last 7 games last year. The reason for the divider? I was breaking up regular season from playoffs.
I don't see your point with this. A team like the seahawks catches lightning in a bottle and can win with that team make-up maybe once every decade. Seahawks, Ravens, Bears. That's about it. It's backwards thinking to hope we can create an elite team at 99% of the positions to hide our glaring QB problem.