PDA

View Full Version : Cordy Glenn back, interesting OL shuffle

JoeMama
08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Per Chris Brown observing tonight's practice...

"With Glenn lining up at LT tonight, theres a shuffle on the right. Henderson at RT and Pears at RG in walk thru. We'll see what team brings."

Sliding Henderson over is interesting.

Interesting indeed.

He's been pretty lights out for a rookie at LT. No reason why he shouldn't get a crack at #1 on the right.

HAMMER
08-18-2014, 05:37 PM
I haven't heard anything close to "lights out" to reference his play thus far but given our RT situation it may be best.

elltrain22
08-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Very interesting combination…

Glenn--C.Williams/Richardson/Urbik---Wood---Pears/Legursky---Henderson

very nice line

swiper
08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
With every day that passes, it looks more and more like Urbik will be odd man out.

BillsImpossible
08-18-2014, 06:24 PM
So glad to hear that Cordy Glenn is back in the lineup. He's a game changer, and will only help EJ Manuel get better.

Nice to see Cyril Richardson bounce back from a rough start, and is now contending for the starting job. He's only going to get better, can't say the same for Urbik and Williams.

Pears at guard? Interesting.

Henderson is now playing his college position at right tackle.

Glenn Richardson Wood Pears Henderson

I feel better now.

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 06:30 PM
With every day that passes, it looks more and more like Urbik will be odd man out.

Urbik > Legursky. So if I'm playing GM I might make my O-line depth chart look like this Glenn Williams Wood Richardson Pears backups Urbik, Henderson, Hairston and Kouandjio and sign two guys to the PS off other squads that can play OG and/or OC.

YardRat
08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
I would have been surprised if Henderson didn't get a shot on the right side when Glenn returned. I hope he does well.

Meathead
08-18-2014, 06:39 PM
traffic cone > legursky

Skooby
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
traffic cone > legursky

The Pit broadcast announcers were like there's Doug Legursky who used to play for us, that was about it.

BillsImpossible
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Urbik > Legursky. So if I'm playing GM I might make my O-line depth chart look like this Glenn Williams Wood Richardson Pears backups Urbik, Henderson, Hairston and Kouandjio and sign two guys to the PS off other squads that can play OG and/or OC.

I don't want to see Chris Williams starting on opening day. He's the Alan Branch of the offensive line.

Cyril Richardson has upside. Williams has downside.

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't want to see Chris Williams starting on opening day. He's the Alan Branch of the offensive line.

Cyril Richardson has upside. Williams has downside.

Umm we need two starting OGs, so who you plugging in besides Richardson? and look again I had Williams at LG and Richardson at RG.

BillsImpossible
08-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Umm we need two starting OGs, so who you plugging in besides Richardson? and look again I had Williams at LG and Richardson at RG.

Richardson at LG, Pears at RG.

Doug, "The Plug," Legursky can back them up.

Dr. Lecter
08-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Pears?

jimmifli
08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Per Chris Brown observing tonight's practice...

"With Glenn lining up at LT tonight, theres a shuffle on the right. Henderson at RT and Pears at RG in walk thru. We'll see what team brings."

Sliding Henderson over is interesting.

Interesting indeed.

He's been pretty lights out for a rookie at LT. No reason why he shouldn't get a crack at #1 on the right.

Henderson looked lost on a couple of screens against Pit, and his run blocking hasn't been anything special like Cordy's was last year during camp. But his pass blocking has been pretty good. Once he gets a hand on the rusher, it's over. I'm really happy with his level of play. If we had one G that didn't need help from the C we'd be set on the OLine for the first time in... ****.

Anyone know a guard that is good in pass protection and can pull? We sure could use that guy!

Woodman
08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Henderson is making the most of his opportunity I wish I felt the same about Kojo.

The Jokeman
08-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Pears?

I don't like the idea. I don't think he's flexible enough.

JoeMama
08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
I haven't heard anything close to "lights out" to reference his play thus far but given our RT situation it may be best.

"Pretty lights out for a rookie"

Especially a 7th rounder.

I think it's a fair assessment.

BertSquirtgum
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Should be a lot better all around with this set up.

JoeMama
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Henderson looked lost on a couple of screens against Pit, and his run blocking hasn't been anything special like Cordy's was last year during camp. But his pass blocking has been pretty good. Once he gets a hand on the rusher, it's over. I'm really happy with his level of play. If we had one G that didn't need help from the C we'd be set on the OLine for the first time in... ****.

Anyone know a guard that is good in pass protection and can pull? We sure could use that guy!

I prefer your analysis of Henderson to my own.

I can get tunnel vision where I lock onto certain plays a guy does right and then keep honing in that one area of his game. Sometimes overlooking the flaws. I've haven't single him out on screens thus far. Mostly just his one one ones on obvious passing downs. He generally does well or at least holds his own.

Plus I like reaching for positives where I can find them and I'm so pleased with Henderson's overall level of play that a few bad plays don't rain on my wannabe homer parade.

It feels nice to be excited about a young player. Kind of like Kiko last year.

YardRat
08-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm OK with Legursky as vet depth at C and G.

Homegrown
08-18-2014, 09:30 PM

Andy Levitre...

jimmifli
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Just rewatching...

First possession
-he had TE and/or FB help on his side almost every play
-On Sanders' 7-8 yard run, he pancakes his man, although Sanders follows Urbik through the hole opened by Wood
-Good run off LT, sealed his man Spiller picks up the 1st down
-Good pocket, pushed his man deep allowed EJ to escape for 5yards
-Missed his man on a draw, but the DE rushed upfield allowing him to pick up after Spiller went the other way
-Great pass protection, forced the DE into such a bad angle he was nowhere near EJ when the ball was thrown
-Great pass protection -Swallowed up defender
-Got stood up - couldn't tie up his man on the screen, Jackson juked and gave Seantrel a 2nd chance, he whiffed again. Still better than Urbik (I think he actually tried to tackle Fred)

2nd possession
-Eats Moats for breakfast and opens a hole, but Legursky gets beat badly. Spiller follows Wood and gets tackled by Legursky's man.
-great protection on completion to Mike Williams
-Nice PLAY! I liked this one. Chandler seals the edge, Seantrel pulls and seals 2 guys, Wood pulls through as the lead blocker. It would have been perfect but Hogan missed his DB, who tripped up Wood and Spiller bounced it outside for not much gain. If the slot WR ties up his man Spiller would be gone for a 60+ TD. Seantrel and Chandler were perfect, Wood a little clumsy but wasn't his fault.
-Screen play that he done goofed - He blocks then releases his defender but he release his guy right into FJax. If he holds this block Jackson's next unblocked defender isn't even on the screen. instead we lose 2 yards
-EJ's pick, Seantrel lets the DE/LB go to FJax (who picks him up like he's playing LT) and takes the interior DE/DT. Easy block, no penetration, is never knocked off balance.

This entire series he has help only once (on the pull play). He earned some trust from the coaches.

Overall his pass blocking was stellar, he never got close to being beat, he was never off balance, never reached, had no problem with speed (didn't face much), and looked like he could hold all his pass blocks fo 5 secs +. His "finesse" run blocks were pretty good, he was able to turn and seal. I didn't see him push his defender downfield or off the LOS, and he did get stood up once. So run blocking is still a work in progress and I don't see him as ready to push the pile.

But he looks like a keeper, and should be able to keep EJ vertical while playing RT.

Goobylal
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Andy Levitre...
Not nearly worth what the Tits paid.

Goobylal
08-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Just rewatching...

First possession
-On Sanders' 7-8 yard run, he pancakes his man, although Sanders follows Urbik through the hole opened by Wood
-Missed his man on a draw, but the DE rushed upfield allowing him to pick up after Spiller went the other way
-Great pass protection, forced the DE into such a bad angle he was nowhere near EJ when the ball was thrown
-Got stood up - couldn't tie up his man on the screen, Jackson juked and gave Seantrel a 2nd chance, he whiffed again. Still better than Urbik (I think he actually tried to tackle Fred)

2nd possession
-Eats Moats for breakfast and opens a hole, but Legursky gets beat badly. Spiller follows Wood and gets tackled by Legursky's man.
-Nice PLAY! I liked this one. Chandler seals the edge, Seantrel pulls and seals 2 guys, Wood pulls through as the lead blocker. It would have been perfect but Hogan missed his DB, who tripped up Wood and Spiller bounced it outside for not much gain. If the slot WR ties up his man Spiller would be gone for a 60+ TD. Seantrel and Chandler were perfect, Wood a little clumsy but wasn't his fault.
-Screen play that he done goofed - He blocks then releases his defender but he release his guy right into FJax. If he holds this block Jackson's next unblocked defender isn't even on the screen. instead we lose 2 yards
-EJ's pick, Seantrel lets the DE/LB go to FJax (who picks him up like he's playing LT) and takes the interior DE/DT. Easy block, no penetration, is never knocked off balance.

This entire series he has help only once (on the pull play). He earned some trust from the coaches.

Overall his pass blocking was stellar, he never got close to being beat, he was never off balance, never reached, had no problem with speed (didn't face much), and looked like he could hold all his pass blocks fo 5 secs +. His "finesse" run blocks were pretty good, he was able to turn and seal. I didn't see him push his defender downfield or off the LOS, and he did get stood up once. So run blocking is still a work in progress and I don't see him as ready to push the pile.

But he looks like a keeper, and should be able to keep EJ vertical while playing RT.
Run blocking can be improved. Pass pro...not as much. So that's encouraging.

JoeMama
08-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Just rewatching...

First possession

2nd possession

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/crowdapplause_zpse7083530.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/crowdapplause_zpse7083530.gif.html)
Nice breakdown.

ICRockets
08-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Was at practice tonight. As usual, his pass protection was great. He was lined up against Mario for the most part. Didn't focus much on Cordy since he was on the opposite side of the field, but I thought he looked good in position drills.

Unrelated, but Landon Cohen was getting first team reps in 11-on-11. Dareus is nursing some sort of arm injury.

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 03:43 AM
Not nearly worth what the Tits paid.
Not the point.

Nobody said he was.

Night Train
08-19-2014, 04:06 AM

Reggie McKenzie or Jim Ritcher.

Bill Cody
08-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Glenn at LT, Henderson at RT = EJ improved

Skooby
08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Was at practice tonight. As usual, his pass protection was great. He was lined up against Mario for the most part. Didn't focus much on Cordy since he was on the opposite side of the field, but I thought he looked good in position drills.

Unrelated, but Landon Cohen was getting first team reps in 11-on-11. Dareus is nursing some sort of arm injury.

How did Cohen look ??

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Not the point.

Nobody said he was.
Then what was the point?

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Then what was the point?

How about signing him before he is a free agent and goes to the highest bidded?

cookie G
08-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Richardson has been pretty good in the preseason..his pass pro has been good, he moves people in the run game and can get to the 2nd level. Not sure I want 2 rookies starting on the Oline, especially on the same side...but I can live with it.

OLDSRIP
08-19-2014, 03:44 PM

How about. He always was going to test the market.

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 03:49 PM
When? And for how much? I have no doubt that the Bills approached him before he became a FA, and I suspect they found out he was waiting for a massive payday and decided not to make any more offers.

Richardson has been pretty good in the preseason..his pass pro has been good, he moves people in the run game and can get to the 2nd level. Not sure I want 2 rookies starting on the Oline, especially on the same side...but I can live with it.
I agree that you don't want 2 rooks starting on the same side. But where has Richardson been lining up? I thought I read RG, and if true, that is dumb IMHO because he was a LG in college. I know Chris Williams was signed to play LG, but that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to start if there's someone better. Moreover I've read that he wasn't that great at LG for the Rams, so switching him to RG might be better for him. I'd be fine with Richardson at LG and Henderson at RT.

swiper
08-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I thought Marrone was an o-line guru. He really looks lost. Or he doubts everyone except Glenn and Wood. All this shuffling is a bad sign:

The biggest OL shuffle yet
- Against the Steelers on Saturday, the first-team offensive line from left to right was Seantrel Henderson, Doug Legursky, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears. On Monday, all but one of those positions had a different player at it with the top unit. From left to right once again, the top offensive line had Cordy Glenn, Chris Williams, Wood, Pears and Henderson.

The Jokeman
08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I thought Marrone was an o-line guru. He really looks lost. Or he doubts everyone except Glenn and Wood. All this shuffling is a bad sign:

Part of the shuffling were the injuries to Glenn and Williams. I think now that both healthy again we just need to find the right combo on the right side which to me if looking at things now would be Richardson at RG and Pears at RT. I'd then keep Urbik, Henderson, Hairston and Kujo for depth. Yet I'd also look and see if if a veteran OG comes available in the 1st Round of cuts as to me we need help there and pronto.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Do you think Cordy doesn't deserve his job at LT back ?

jimmifli
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
I think Pears will win the RG spot, and Richardson will be taking over for Williams before midseason.

The Jokeman
08-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Question is would we better served with Glenn elsewhere? As I know it seems crazy to think Henderson should be manning LT but he did play well in the preseason thus far so maybe an O-line like Henderson Williams Woods Glenn and Pears would best serve this team but I know it's highly unlikely. But as eluded above prefer Glenn at LT Williams at LG and Wood at C and rest of the line already covered.

swiper
08-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Where did you get that out of what I said?

swiper
08-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Part of the shuffling were the injuries to Glenn and Williams. I think now that both healthy again we just need to find the right combo on the right side which to me if looking at things now would be Richardson at RG and Pears at RT. I'd then keep Urbik, Henderson, Hairston and Kujo for depth. Yet I'd also look and see if if a veteran OG comes available in the 1st Round of cuts as to me we need help there and pronto.

And to that end, that last (Mondays) line may be the final incantation before the first game: Glenn-Williams-Wood-Pears-Henderson

They are at the point they need to identify the five starters and let them start to gel.

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 07:57 PM
No way they keep Henderson out of the starting lineup. And depending on how Pears does at RG, he could be more needed there.

I think Pears will win the RG spot, and Richardson will be taking over for Williams before midseason.
Could very well happen. I think Richardson should have been tried at LG all along, considering he played there in college.

jimmifli
08-19-2014, 08:53 PM
No way they keep Henderson out of the starting lineup. And depending on how Pears does at RG, he could be more needed there.

Could very well happen. I think Richardson should have been tried at LG all along, considering he played there in college.
Williams is bad, but he might be marginally better than everyone they've tried at RG. I think Seantrel is a surprise. They expected Pears to win the RT tackle job since 7th round draft picks aren't usually competent week 1 starters. So they put Richardson at the position he had the best chance of winning.

But now that Pears is getting bumped inside, Williams is the weakest starter on the line, and Richardson will now compete for that spot. I have no problem at all with where he's been asked to play and with the coaches decisions.

Goobylal
08-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Williams is bad, but he might be marginally better than everyone they've tried at RG. I think Seantrel is a surprise. They expected Pears to win the RT tackle job since 7th round draft picks aren't usually competent week 1 starters. So they put Richardson at the position he had the best chance of winning.

But now that Pears is getting bumped inside, Williams is the weakest starter on the line, and Richardson will now compete for that spot. I have no problem at all with where he's been asked to play and with the coaches decisions.
I think they expected Kouandjio to win the starting RT job, given his draft status. Have them moved him inside yet? Have they flipped Richardson to LG?

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 09:10 PM
When? And for how much? I have no doubt that the Bills approached him before he became a FA, and I suspect they found out he was waiting for a massive payday and decided not to make any more offers.

I have even less doubt that they did not make a serious offer to him before FA started.

You can choose to believe me or not. But they did not pursue him like they could have

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 09:10 PM
How about. He always was going to test the market.

Not necessarily. They could have made a much better effort

jimmifli
08-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Sure. By over paying a guy before they've proved it.

Like they did with Aaron Williams. Is he worth that contract? Not yet. But if he matches last year's production again, he will be. If he improves on it he'll be a bargain.

But we didn't do that with Andy, we waited until we were sure. And by then it's too late. Good value contracts require the team to take a risk and we didn't do it. So I agree completely that we could have made a much better effort and we wouldn't be trotting "upgrading" Doug Legursky with Chris ****ing Williams two years later.

OLDSRIP
08-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Unless you were in on the conversations between the Bills and his agent. You are talking out your azz.
which is very common here.

Skooby
08-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Like they did with Aaron Williams. Is he worth that contract? Not yet. But if he matches last year's production again, he will be. If he improves on it he'll be a bargain.

But we didn't do that with Andy, we waited until we were sure. And by then it's too late. Good value contracts require the team to take a risk and we didn't do it. So I agree completely that we could have made a much better effort and we wouldn't be trotting "upgrading" Doug Legursky with Chris ****ing Williams two years later.

I like Aaron Williams and think he will be a great player ongoing.

Mahdi
08-20-2014, 01:45 PM

There is more than just contractual reasons why Levitre was not signed.

1. Marrone is not a zone blocking guy. He is a man blocking scheme guy, Levitre was awesome in Gailey system because Gailey was all about zone and having OL that could move in space for screens.

2. Marrone loves big OL and probably thought to himself that he could bring in some bigger guys and pay them next to nothing to play rather than sign Levitre.

In some ways it makes sense but our OL has been much worse since he left and we suck at screen plays where that used to be one of our strengths. Worst part is our run blocking hasn't really improved going with the bigger guys. We ran the ball a lot last year which accounted for our 2nd ranked run game but we had a very average ypc at 4.2.

Goobylal
08-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I have even less doubt that they did not make a serious offer to him before FA started.

You can choose to believe me or not. But they did not pursue him like they could have
They talked with him prior to his last season in Buffalo and got his contract demands then. They realized he wasn't worth what he was asking for and figured there was no reason to talk with him further. Although they didn't properly address the hole he left, it also didn't mean they should have sorely overpaid to keep him.

stuckincincy
08-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Zone blocking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blocking

jimmifli
08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
There is more than just contractual reasons why Levitre was not signed.

1. Marrone is not a zone blocking guy. He is a man blocking scheme guy, Levitre was awesome in Gailey system because Gailey was all about zone and having OL that could move in space for screens.

2. Marrone loves big OL and probably thought to himself that he could bring in some bigger guys and pay them next to nothing to play rather than sign Levitre.

In some ways it makes sense but our OL has been much worse since he left and we suck at screen plays where that used to be one of our strengths. Worst part is our run blocking hasn't really improved going with the bigger guys. We ran the ball a lot last year which accounted for our 2nd ranked run game but we had a very average ypc at 4.2.
Yeah, that's always the excuse. The player doesn't fit the coaches' scheme. Every new coach cleans house to find players that fit. Stupid.

Andy was a better guard than anyone on our roster since he left. And if we were willing to pay him market rate he would still be here. If we weren't, but were willing to take a risk and offer him a big contract before his rookie deal ended, and before we were sure he was going to be really good, he'd still be here. But we didn't want to do either of those things. We wanted Kraig Urbik and Doug Legursky and Chris Williams to be as good as Andy. Now we're hoping a midround pick can at least outperform one of those scrubs.

casdhf
08-20-2014, 08:04 PM

They think his knee is shot. We will see

Dr. Lecter
08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Unless you were in on the conversations between the Bills and his agent. You are talking out your azz.
which is very common here.

Yeah - you can ask people here.

That is not something I do.

You can believe me or not. That is your choice. But I am not a bull****ter

Dr. Lecter
08-20-2014, 08:12 PM
They talked with him prior to his last season in Buffalo and got his contract demands then. They realized he wasn't worth what he was asking for and figured there was no reason to talk with him further. Although they didn't properly address the hole he left, it also didn't mean they should have sorely overpaid to keep him.

Better to continue to underpay guys that are no good.

Teams have room to overpay a few guys. Had they signed Byrd I would get it.

Instead they sign neither one.

It makes no sense

YardRat
08-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Levitre is gone...let it go. It doesn't matter if he wasn't going to fit the scheme, he was asking for too much, he wasn't offered enough, he wasn't pursued early enough, etc. Move on, that bell's been rung.

YardRat
08-20-2014, 08:19 PM

It makes no sense

It makes sense to me. Levitre is a one-trick pony, and you don't pay top dollar for players that can't be dominant. As for Byrd, it remains to be seen how much cover1 the new defense incorporates and regardless of scheme how well the new backstops perform.

Goobylal
08-20-2014, 08:24 PM

It makes no sense
I don't know if you recall, but the Bills overpaying Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery is what pissed off Peters. So they pay Levitre $7.8M/year like the Tits did. That means they have to pay Wood that amount as well. Then Cordy next year demands $10M/year. That's over $25M for 3 guys. As for Byrd, $9M/year on a S is as crazy as paying Levitre Pro Bowl money. And it won't be nearly that hard to replace him.

Typ0
08-20-2014, 08:34 PM
It makes sense to me. Levitre is a one-trick pony, and you don't pay top dollar for players that can't be dominant. As for Byrd, it remains to be seen how much cover1 the new defense incorporates and regardless of scheme how well the new backstops perform.

you can't claim to be on the mission of building a team through the draft in one breath and then let the best players you find walk in another. Stop rationalizing. This team has been operating on a lean and mean cash to the crap philosophy waiting for Wilson to kick off. Until this all gets sorted out don't expect much.

Goobylal
08-20-2014, 08:54 PM
you can't claim to be on the mission of building a team through the draft in one breath and then let the best players you find walk in another. Stop rationalizing. This team has been operating on a lean and mean cash to the crap philosophy waiting for Wilson to kick off. Until this all gets sorted out don't expect much.
Sure you let players you drafted walk if they're not worthy of offers they're getting, like Levitre, and arguably Byrd. Maybe for a team like the Saints Byrd is the missing piece, but more likely, they'll end up cutting him and lamenting that they signed him at all.

Dr. Lecter
08-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I don't know if you recall, but the Bills overpaying Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery is what pissed off Peters. So they pay Levitre $7.8M/year like the Tits did. That means they have to pay Wood that amount as well. Then Cordy next year demands $10M/year. That's over $25M for 3 guys. As for Byrd, $9M/year on a S is as crazy as paying Levitre Pro Bowl money. And it won't be nearly that hard to replace him.
Once again, this is not about paying Levitre what the Titans did.

this team is not proactive often enough. So they get desperate and sign guys like Dockery and Walker.

Nor is it about paying Byrd 9 million a season.

YardRat
08-20-2014, 09:00 PM

Just because a player is one of 'the best' on a bad team doesn't mean they are elite, or worth elite money. People ***** when the team overpays for 'mediocrity', than ***** again when they don't.

Go ahead and peruse the last 15 drafts, and see how many picks were actually worth re-signing, let alone ponying up major bucks for.

YardRat
08-20-2014, 09:02 PM

this team is not proactive often enough. So they get desperate and sign guys like Dockery and Walker.

If the pattern that has been developing over the last year and a half continues, that could be a major difference between this Brandon-Whaley-Marrone era and their predecessors.

Typ0
08-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Just because a player is one of 'the best' on a bad team doesn't mean they are elite, or worth elite money. People ***** when the team overpays for 'mediocrity', than ***** again when they don't.

Go ahead and peruse the last 15 drafts, and see how many picks were actually worth re-signing, let alone ponying up major bucks for.

You can't really tell because the team was never competitive enough. Players need a solid foundation around them ...

Goobylal
08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

I'm not sure why you think the Bills aren't pro-active often enough? Like any team, they'll approach a player they feel is worth keeping well in advance of him entering FA. If the player doesn't like the offer(s), or wants to leave, he is under no obligation to accept. And remember that they have agents who are likely telling them they can get more on the market +/- play in a better location +/- with a winning team. Again I don't see that Levitre would have accepted a deal like Wood's after the 2011 season, much less after the 2012 season. Frankly, I don't even know if he's worth much more than half of what the Tits are paying him, which is Pro Bowl money, bordering on All-Pro territory. And again the ripple effect with other impending homegrown FA's.

As for Byrd, there were multiple reasons for not re-signing him. Money was just one factor but far from the major one.