PDA

View Full Version : My Projected 53 man roster after 3 pre-season games

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Not many changes.

QB (2, 2) - EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel
RB/FB (5, 7) - CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Anthony Davis, Bryce Brown, Frank Summers
WR (6, 13) - Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Hogan, Marcus Easley
TE (3, 16) - Scott Chandler, Lee Smith, Chris Gragg
OL (9, 25) - Cordy Glenn, Chris Williams, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Eric Pears, Cyrus Kouandjio, Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Doug Legursky

DL (9, 34) - Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson, Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Jarius Wynn, Landon Cohen (Branch came in out of shape and has not impressed. Cohen beats him out and they keep the younger guys in Charles and Bryant)
LB (7, 41) - Nigel Bradham, Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers, Preston Brown, Randell Johnson, Ty Powell, Stevenson Sylvester
DB (10, 51 ) - Leodis McKelvin, Da, Norris Searcy, Aaron Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Corey Graham, Ross Cockrell, Nickell Robley, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks. Ron Brooks
ST (3, 54) - Dan Carpenter, Brian Moorman, Garrison Sandborn

I added Frank Summers and removed Dustin Hopkins. Also added Ron Brooks since Bradham will not count against the roster for week 1. But I would not be surprised if one of the young DBs makes it over Brooks (Harley?)

I also really could see Urbik getting cut if he does not start and then Legursky is the main interior back up and that opens a roster spot - maybe a 7th WR like Elliot, Graham or Gurley.
After week 1, a LB gets cut - probably Sylvester or Powell.
Gameday inactives would be (on this roster) - Kouandjio. Brooks, Richardson, Powell, Brown, Cragg, Cohen

justasportsfan
08-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Buscaglia's 53 man roster. He has Hairston getting cut.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=421721

k-oneputt
08-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Is Anthony Davis that USC rb who came after OJ ?

k-oneputt
08-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Brooks is making the team.
And Legursky is not.

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Is Anthony Davis that USC rb who came after OJ ?

For some reason I keep doing that. It is totally stuck in my mind

Ed
08-19-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm having a hard time seeing Branch getting cut, mostly for financial reasons. He played well last year and they just re-signed him for three more years with about $3.5 mil guaranteed. That's a pretty significant contract to sign a guy to just to cut him before the season even starts. Even if they're unhappy with him right now, that's a lot of dead money to take on. It would actually cost the team a bigger cap hit this year to not have him on the team.

Skooby
08-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Branch to IR & keep Cohen.

Ed
08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Branch to IR & keep Cohen.
What would be the point of putting him on IR?

Scumbag College
08-19-2014, 11:17 AM
After watching Saturday's game, Kujo is the one that needs to go to IR. I don't want to lose a guy like Hairston or Williams, who can at least play at an average NFL level, for what he's shown so far. He was flat out embarrassed out there, and if he's called upon to play I'd be afraid for the health of EJ and our RBs.

EDS
08-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Legursky is terrible. Urbik is far from great (and you can say the same for the rest of the terams guards), but I don't understand why the team would keep Legrsky ahead of Wrbik. Can't Urbik play center too? Don't ell me it is a money issue, the team is way below the cap so that is a non-issue.

I would also add that while Urbik's play this preseason has been bad, so has Williams. I definitely foresee the Bills regretting his contract in the near term.

GingerP
08-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Even if they're unhappy with him right now, that's a lot of dead money to take on. It would actually cost the team a bigger cap hit this year to not have him on the team.

He got $3.1M guaranteed, in the form of a signing bonus spread from 2013 - 2016 at $775K per season. If they cut him, they would have $775K in dead money this year and save $2.425M in 2014. The acceleration of the last 2 years in bonus amortization would occur next year, to the tune of $1.55M in dead money in 2015.

swiper
08-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Buscaglia's 53 man roster. He has Hairston getting cut.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=421721

I was going to say. This is very similar to the one Buscaglia published the other day. He keeps Thad Lewis. Which I think they might. If Manuel gets hurt, they are in dire straits without him around. I think Hairston may get cut. And Buscaglia says Ron Brooks has had a good camp. Haven't heard that one before.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I still don't see them going with 2 QBs. Even if Lewis goes then 3rd QB will be filled by TBD.

swiper
08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Brooks is making the team.
And Legursky is not.

Legursky or Urbik - one will make the team. Likely the better center of the two.

Ed
08-19-2014, 12:41 PM
He got $3.1M guaranteed, in the form of a signing bonus spread from 2013 - 2016 at $775K per season. If they cut him, they would have $775K in dead money this year and save $2.425M in 2014. The acceleration of the last 2 years in bonus amortization would occur next year, to the tune of $1.55M in dead money in 2015.
Ok, that would make things different I guess. The cap sites I looked at show $3+ mil of dead cap for 2014 if he's cut, but they may not know the details of the contract. Either way, cutting a guy you just signed to a multi-year deal would be odd. I'm guessing they feel somewhat stuck with him for at least a year and are trying to motivate him by putting him with the 3rd-stringers.

John Doe
08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Two things:

I think that the o-line shapes up as 8 guys plus Kujo meaning that Kujo is a player that they want to develop but will probably not see the field until late in the season or at maybe not at all. He will not improve on I.R. or PUP - he needs to keep practicing. This means that they have to keep 4 other players that can play tackle: Glenn, Henderson, Pears, and Hairston. One or more of the tackles also has to be able to play guard so that they can be 4 deep there as well and that is the reason that Pears is getting a look there. I doubt that the Hairston experiment at guard is over either - I thought that I saw him get some reps at guard against the Steelers. That means that it is either Urbik or Legursky as the odd man out because one of them has to back up at center. I am thinking Legursky gets cut, but who knows.

At this point I think that T J Graham might make the team since Goodwin has missed so much time. Goodwin may end up on the PUP list. This is contingent on how healthy Goodwin gets before the season starts.

The Jokeman
08-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Two things:

I think that the o-line shapes up as 8 guys plus Kujo meaning that Kujo is a player that they want to develop but will probably not see the field until late in the season or at maybe not at all. He will not improve on I.R. or PUP - he needs to keep practicing. This means that they have to keep 4 other players that can play tackle: Glenn, Henderson, Pears, and Hairston. One or more of the tackles also has to be able to play guard so that they can be 4 deep there as well and that is the reason that Pears is getting a look there. I doubt that the Hairston experiment at guard is over either - I thought that I saw him get some reps at guard against the Steelers. That means that it is either Urbik or Legursky as the odd man out because one of them has to back up at center. I am thinking Legursky gets cut, but who knows.

At this point I think that T J Graham might make the team since Goodwin has missed so much time. Goodwin may end up on the PUP list. This is contingent on how healthy Goodwin gets before the season starts.

I don't think Goodwin be eligible for the PUP list because he took part in training camp/preseason as per:

If, during the season, a player sustains injury but practiced at camp, the PUP list is not an option. The team can keep the player on the roster, if they believe he will come back that season. But, the injured player is counted against the 53-man roster.http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5914295/nfl-pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-49ers-2014

We could place him on the IR/Designated to return list but to me Goodwin's talent don't warrant it since we're only allowed to use the designation on one player all season it's better keeping if we get an injury to a starting caliber player.

stuckincincy
08-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Not many changes.

TE (3, 16) - Scott Chandler, Lee Smith, Chris Gragg

I'd save a roster spot and carry only two. I think Gragg's practice squad eligible, and I can't recall the last time another club plucked anybody from BUF's practice squad. Which is sad.

casdhf
08-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Is kiko on IR officially?

feldspar
08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Is kiko on IR officially?

I don't think so.

Right now, I think that he's on the active/non-football injury list

ICRockets
08-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Sylvester out for the season, so there's one of your spots opening up. Personally I'd put Kujo on the practice squad to make room for someone else somewhere. But that may make him eligible to get signed away, and that may be a risk that is not worth taking.

k-oneputt
08-20-2014, 09:25 PM
There is no way Kujo is going to the practice squad so you can get that out of your head.
He would get picked up immediately.