PDA

View Full Version : Marrone fed up...

The King
08-21-2014, 01:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/doug-marrone-jerry-hughes-argue-184257725.html

Doug Marrone lit up his team during the final practice of training camp and one defensive starter didn't like it. Guess how that went.
Doug Marrone was fed up. The Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) had fought with each other for two straight days (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/20/6049155/bills-fight-at-practice). On Wednesday, it was directly in front of news cameras. On Thursday, he was done.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I've been covering the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> since 2009. That's the biggest blowup from a head coach since I've been here.</p>&mdash; Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/statuses/502475199745630209">August 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

better days
08-21-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm liking Marone more & more.

No more Mr Nice Guy.

sukie
08-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Coaches can yell and scream all they want. I don't care about a coaches persona... I would take a mime coaching as long as he knows clock management and can signal how to properly use Spiller to his OC.

TacklingDummy
08-21-2014, 02:10 PM
He knows his job is on the line with another 6-10 season and new owners.

swiper
08-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Coaches can yell and scream all they want. I don't care about a coaches persona... I would take a mime coaching as long as he knows clock management and can signal how to properly use Spiller to his OC.

You got some brains in that head of yours. :chuckle:

TacklingDummy
08-21-2014, 02:12 PM
This isn't college anymore. Act professional coach.

Skooby
08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
He better take charge of these egos & making the new bickering Bills into winners, like Marv did before him.

better days
08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Well after the milktoast Jauron & nice guy Gailey, I am all for a HC with a little fire in his belly.

Dr. Lecter
08-21-2014, 02:36 PM
This isn't college anymore. Act professional coach.

Successful pro coaches never yell and scream?

swiper
08-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Well after the milktoast Jauron & nice guy Gailey, I am all for a HC with a little fire in his belly.

meh. At least Gregg Williams was convincing.

JoeMama
08-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm liking Marone more & more.

No more Mr Nice Guy.

Yeah, Marrone is going all Alice Cooper on the players.

better days
08-21-2014, 03:04 PM
meh. At least Gregg Williams was convincing.

Fire in the belly is one thing.

Being an A Hole waking guys up with an air horn in their ear is another.

Night Train
08-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Words cannot describe how bad a HC he was.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Well he just either gained the teams trust and respect or he completely lost the entire locker room.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

justasportsfan
08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
wait. The players can lose their cool and try to beat each other but a coach can't yell and make them run?

swiper
08-21-2014, 03:28 PM

I still remember all the articles about how 'detailed' he was and how much that impressed OBD. Then it all fell down to him with the air horn over Pat Williams or something like that.

Dr. Lecter
08-21-2014, 03:30 PM

The scary part is that people like us can remember guys that were way, way worse.

*shudder*

cookie G
08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
wait. The players can lose their cool and try to beat each other but a coach can't yell and make them run?

Teh wind sprint punishment is a bit high schoolish..but maybe effective. The line we always heard was "if you have energy to fight, you have energy to run...everyone line up at the goal line".

Fighting in football pads is insanely stupid, especially since oyu have the opportunity to knock your antagonist on their ass on the next play. But its goingot happen...

If nothing else, he's shown he's not going to let things get out of hand.

better days
08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
The scary part is that people like us can remember guys that were way, way worse.

*shudder*

No question there were worse Coaches in the Bills history, but none I disliked as much as Gregg.

imbondz
08-21-2014, 03:44 PM
oh no wind sprints

Night Train
08-21-2014, 03:55 PM

*shudder*

" That really took the sail out of our winds ! "

coastal
08-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Marrone is one of the few people in leadership I like in this organization.

DynaPaul
08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Good! It's about time. No more sad-sack, quiet, "dont worry guys I'll take the blame" coaches.

BillsImpossible
08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
After 14 years of BS, I'd be fed up too.

What's Marrone supposed to do, sing Koombahyah?

BLeonard
08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/2nR3reKPE5Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/2nR3reKPE5Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

-Bill

JoeMama
08-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Marrone is one of the few people in leadership I like in this organization.

Me too, which is why it's a pity his job security hinges on EJ Manuel's performance. Marrone is not fully in control of his own destiny and I'm willing to bet that fact wears on him. As I imagine it would for any coach in the NFL.

I like Marrone's demeanor too. He might look aloof and detached, brooding on the sidelines with his arms crossed. But there's a certain intensity and intelligence burning behind those eyes. I think he's the right guy for the job, but he may be denied the chance to prove it.

Fingers crossed. It's not like this franchise didn't bend over backwards to give EJ all the tools he needs to succeed. If EJ bombs, Marrone's days are likely numbered.

Ironically, EJ will probably get a third year in Buffalo regardless. A notion I find patently unfair.

JoeMama
08-21-2014, 06:21 PM

That buffoon and his stupid bull horn...

I like that Gregg Williams chief philosophy for player discipline was taken from the book of Christopher Walken.

"The only prescription is more bull horn!"

http://3dbgy741v9lb3pohku1a21j64j9.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/more-cowbell-o1.gif

Fletch
08-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Well he just either gained the teams trust and respect or he completely lost the entire locker room.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Yeah, agree. While reading at PFT:

Marrone yelled at players for getting into it, and when defensive end Jerry Hughes (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5838/jerry-hughes) said something back to his coach, Marrone went off, spewing profanity at Hughes and asking, “Do you want to play on this team? (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11388146/doug-marrone-upset-buffalo-bills-lack-discipline)“

Marrone also told Hughes, “If you’ve got a problem with me, you need to come and tell me.” The two talked after practice, and Marrone later said Hughes wasn’t the only one he was disappointed with.

That made me wonder if he's lost respect and the team to an extent.

justasportsfan
08-22-2014, 08:40 AM
as much as I disliked Jauron, his players loved him and played hard for him. Too bad he put his players in positions to fail .

Saratoga Slim
08-22-2014, 08:48 AM
oh no wind sprints

Exactly. If anyone should lose respect here, it's the professional athlete who complains about having to run. Man up Jerry.

Ginger Vitis
08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
" That really took the sail out of our winds ! "

"Chris Watson.. hes not a punt returner he is a punt catcher and that's basically what we have to live with"

Mahdi
08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Marrone does look intimidating in that hat though...

CommissarSpartacus
08-22-2014, 10:44 AM
I spent 30 years running organizations of highly paid free agents.

The guys that didn't do my job well invariably called themselves "problem solvers".

The guys that did the job well (I like to consider myself among that group) were problem AVOIDERS, ie. someone smart enough to see situations develop so they could make the necessary adjustments BEFORE things became problems.

The fact that this situation has erupted the way it has already speaks badly to Marrone's approach with the team.

Could the blowup be something Marrone had no way to know was coming, something straight out of left field? Sure.

But it's also possible this was a situation he should have seen coming and done something about before it became a gossip item.

Or even worse, it was something Marrone himself instigated because he can't control his temper or behavior in general.

Color me not impressed.

swiper
08-22-2014, 10:54 AM
The whole thing seems a tad bit overblown.

CoolBreeze
08-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm glad this happened. When your franchise is consistantly bad or average at best for almost 2 decades, it gets frustrating as a fan to watch your coach act mellow practice after practice, game after game. Good for Marrone, light a fire under them. I hope he made the sluggish defensive backs run double. IMO Gilmore, Searcy are better then they have shown this preseason. Doesn't matter how good their position skills are or can be if they can't keep up.

Turf
08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Its nice to see some fire on both sides of the coin. Now take that nasty out on someone else. I think Marrone's also driving home discipline, which is much needed. So far the Bills this year are one of the least penalized teams.

Meathead
08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
It got so testy that during 11 on 11 drills, Marrone took the defense off the field completely. Five plays later, the offense scored a touchdown.

Forward_Lateral
08-22-2014, 12:03 PM
It got so testy that during 11 on 11 drills, Marrone took the defense off the field completely. Five plays later, the offense scored a touchdown.

lol

WagonCircler
08-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if Marrone can pull off the Lombardi thing. You have to earn the respect of the players first.

Today's players are a different animal, and Marrone has never won anything.

This has an air of desperation/frustration to it, rather than that of a calculated strategy.

bleve
08-22-2014, 01:06 PM
~or~

It could be something that happens during training camp every year on every team, but we never paid attention before Twitter.

WagonCircler
08-22-2014, 02:06 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/2nR3reKPE5Y?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/2nR3reKPE5Y?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

-Bill

Herb Brooks was a master of psychology and he had a plan. He was also the same p-rick on day one of camp as he was watching the medal ceremony (and I mean that as a compliment).

Marrone doesn't inspire 1/100th the kind of confidence HB did. And I don't dislike Marrone. I just think he's a middler.

If he were the Herb Brooks type, this tantrum would not be at all surprising. But because it's out of character, it feels forced, if it's supposed to be a motivator and isn't just a tantrum.