PDA

View Full Version : Alan Branch was arrested

black N yellow
08-23-2014, 06:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marrone says Alan Branch was arrested</p>&mdash; Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/statuses/503328258977714177">August 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SpikedLemonade
08-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Yeah, use him as an example and just cut him now.

He played like crap all pre-season and we can just keep Cohen.

Mace
08-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Branch is gone anyway.

Homegrown
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, it was "for crimes against football"... Details at 11PM

Skooby
08-23-2014, 06:52 PM
What's his cap hit when we cut him?

stuckincincy
08-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Branch is gone anyway.

Dunno.

His contract cash, cap cost, dead money liability is a factor, and add in wear and tear on the starting DLs with their maniacal pass rush. Cohen has had a nice preseason, but he's been passed hand to mouth by 7 teams since 2008, totaling 30 regular season tackles and 16 assists with no sacks.

Gonna have to have somebody spell Dareus and the aging K. Williams. I can't see who they have in the pipeline to replace him.

stuckincincy
08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
What's his cap hit when we cut him?

More costly than Manuel...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2014/

Mace
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Dunno.

His contract cash, cap cost, dead money liability is a factor, and add in wear and tear on the starting DLs with their maniacal pass rush. Cohen has had a nice preseason, but he's been passed hand to mouth by 7 teams since 2008, totaling 30 regular season tackles and 16 assists with no sacks.

Gonna have to have somebody spell Dareus and the aging K. Williams. I can't see who they have in the pipeline to replace him.

Oh geez. Well, they have people to replace him easily, he's useless. But at that price ? Oh geez. Goodbye Whaley/Nix, you aren't gonna make it.

Skooby
08-23-2014, 06:58 PM
More costly than Manuel...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2014/

Ouch, huge dead money.

kingJofNYC
08-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Another brilliant signing by out Front Office. Branch had to play well last year, he was done if he didn't turn it up. Lets give him money even though hes had conditioning issues in his previous seasons. Abysmal offseason outside of the Spikes/Graham signings.

stuckincincy
08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Ouch, huge dead money.

Branch's figure (as well as the bit contributed by Manuel's contract) are well acceptable, but the 700 lb gorilla in the picture is Mario William's contract.

Mace
08-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Branch's figure (as well as the bit contributed by Manuel's contract) are well acceptable, but the 700 lb gorilla in the picture is Mario William's contract.

He becomes not cost efficient next year I think. Yes, 2015.

Mr. Pink
08-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Completely off-topic...

I don't think it will be possible for me to ever get into the green again.

But nice siggy! :rofl:

stuckincincy
08-23-2014, 07:51 PM

It was the nuttiest FA acquisition ever.

A good player for HOU, who after a few seasons, put up some numbers. Had a bit of an injury history. Signed by a crazed PR weasel convinced that the be all and end all is qb sacks. To a wild contract that solid teams might pay hoping for a nudge to get them and advance towards the league crown.

Williams stumbled out of the gate his first season here, got 46 total tackles and 10.5 sacks. Last season - 38 and 13. Nineteen of those total tackles over 2 seasons were credited as assists. Take out the sacks, and over 32 games, he's halted 60 runners or receivers at a rate of a half a stop per game.

I wouldn't blame the agents of players to advise them to look elsewhere, to angle for a potentially more profitable venue - Mario's contract rules the roost.

Mace
08-23-2014, 08:00 PM

A good player for HOU, who after a few seasons, put up some numbers. Had a bit of an injury history. Signed by a crazed PR weasel convinced that the be all and end all is qb sacks. To a wild contract that solid teams might pay hoping for a nudge to get them and advance towards the league crown.

Williams stumbled out of the gate his first season here, got 46 total tackles and 10.5 sacks. Last season - 38 and 13. Nineteen of those total tackles over 2 seasons were credited as assists. Take out the sacks, and over 32 games, he's halted 60 runners or receivers at a rate of a half a stop per game.

I wouldn't blame the agents of players to advise them to look elsewhere, to angle for a potentially more profitable venue - Mario's contract rules the roost.

He renegotiates next offseason for less longer term or bails for less money next year. Never gets dirty or hits the ground, yes, but, well I don't know.

casdhf
08-23-2014, 08:03 PM
You know sacks are what he was brought in for right

Mace
08-23-2014, 08:07 PM
You know sacks are what he was brought in for right

Branch ?

coastal
08-23-2014, 11:02 PM

What have I said out here since before we signed him...

Fool's Gold.

That contract killed this franchise on the field for half a decade.

Typ0
08-24-2014, 02:27 AM
If/when Pegula gets the team everyone gets a do over. These guys have a couple more years to screw up the next decade too.

swiper
08-24-2014, 04:29 AM
What did he do? Steal some chicken wings?

stuckincincy
08-24-2014, 04:41 AM

:drive: :party: :boozer: :wine: :puke: :shout: :hammer:

swiper
08-24-2014, 04:51 AM

Fool's Gold.

Chris Williams will be the next one in line.

GingerP
08-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Apparently, DUI. Nice to see him going out and getting lit the night before a game, then compounding it by getting behind the wheel. Given how idiotic that is, as well as his missing the offseason program and showing up out of shape after signing his new deal, it is pretty obvious he isn't really dedicated to his craft.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/23/bills-defensive-tackle-alan-branch-arrested-source-says-drunk-driving/

kishoph
08-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Apparently, DUI. Nice to see him going out and getting lit the night before a game, then compounding it by getting behind the wheel. Given how idiotic that is, as well as his missing the offseason program and showing up out of shape after signing his new deal, it is pretty obvious he isn't really dedicated to his craft.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/23/bills-defensive-tackle-alan-branch-arrested-source-says-drunk-driving/

I think the fact he skipped the off season conditioning for the 2nd time, then came in out of shape, put him behind the 8 ball right away. Then his play this preseason, certainly did nothing to help. He may/should be in with the 1st cuts.

swiper
08-24-2014, 06:03 AM
I think the fact he skipped the off season conditioning for the 2nd time, then came in out of shape, put him behind the 8 ball right away. Then his play this preseason, certainly did nothing to help. He may/should be in with the 1st cuts.

As has been mentioned, the problem with that is the Bills are on the hook for a lot of money if they do that.

His three-year extension was worth a total of $9.3 million.

A lot of money for a back-up DT.

GingerP
08-24-2014, 06:08 AM
As has been mentioned, the problem with that is the Bills are on the hook for a lot of money if they do that.

They save $1.9M on the cap this year but cutting him, with $775K in dead money. They would have $1.55M in dead money in 2015. That isn't hard to manage, and the bottom line is he hasn't looked worth keeping this year, for both on-field and off-field reasons.

GingerP
08-24-2014, 06:42 AM
What a dumb-ass.

State police told the Associated Press that Branch was arrested around 2 a.m. on Saturday in Cheektowaga when police noticed that Branch was vomiting out of his driver's side door. The Buffalo Bills' defensive tackle, who was inactive for the team's 27-14 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday, failed a field sobriety test and bad a blood alcohol content of .14. The legal limit is .08.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/08/alan_branch_arrest_vomiting_dwi_bills.html

coastal
08-24-2014, 06:53 AM
What a dumb-ass.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/08/alan_branch_arrest_vomiting_dwi_bills.htmlwere the dumbasses that gave him an extension.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Fool's Gold.

Your blind hatred for a guy completely destroys any objectivity you have for this team.

Even with Mario Williams on the team, the Bills are still around 7m under the cap as of, oh, right now.

That includes rollover from last year of about 18m and 23m in dead money. Fitz and Stevie are the main contracts in the dead money.

How does Mario Williams and his money kill the franchise exactly?

The Jokeman
08-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Your blind hatred for a guy completely destroys any objectivity you have for this team.

Even with Mario Williams on the team, the Bills are still around 7m under the cap as of, oh, right now.

That includes rollover from last year of about 18m and 23m in dead money. Fitz and Stevie are the main contracts in the dead money.

It doesn't but everyone has to latch on someone to hate for why this team can't get over the hump. Coastal is doing it with Mario others will focus on Manuel. As it's easier to blame one guy then an entire franchise. That said I sound like an apologist because I think this franchise seems to be heading in the right direction despite what we've seen in terms of preseason wins and losses. That said I admit I didn't like the Watkins trade as didn't think we were at the point where we had to make the move for him. Also I think when you have a developing QB like EJ it's better to have veteran guys like SJ13 at WR instead of Watkins and thought a developmental TE like Ebron was a better plan of attack for this year.

stuckincincy
08-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Here are some of his contract details:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/

He takes up a significant portion of the cap, now and in the future. You have to decide if he's worth it as a player, or if the team would be better served by hiring FAs to bolster other positions.

I think that having around 7M in cap space going into the season is a fairly common figure for the hiring of injury replacements.

swiper
08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Alan Branch RELEASED by the Buffalo Bills.

I wonder if he breached a behavior clause by getting arrested letting the Bills out of their financial commitment to him.

Branch Released after Arrest: Updating our earlier story, embattled DT Alan Branch was released by the Bills on Sunday afternoon following his Saturday arrest on suspicion of DWI. Police in Cheektowaga stopped Branch after they saw him vomit from the window of his car. A breathalyser showed his BAC at .14, nearly twice the legal limit. Since signing a contract extension Branch skipped voluntary OTAs, arrived at training camp out of shape and failed his physical. His release was widely anticipated and was announced by a simple one-line statement from the front office.

Skooby
08-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Alan Branch RELEASED by the Buffalo Bills.

I wonder if he breached a behavior clause by getting arrested letting the Bills out of their financial commitment to him.

Shocking.