PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills Are Serious About Kirk Cousins, Trade Spiller and the 2015 2nd Rd Pick

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 04:58 PM
I just don't see Spiller as highly as most and I expect the gap between what we will offer him for a new contract and what he thinks he is worth to be insurmountable.

I like Bryce Brown.

The Redskins will not trade Kirk Cousins for only a 2nd round pick.

They may be willing to do so if Spiller is added in.

It is going to take a radical move to change our QB situation.

Waiver wire pick ups are not going to do it.

swiper
08-24-2014, 05:03 PM
With the injury to Sam Bradford, the price for Cousins just went up.

- - - Updated - - -

I would guess it would take Spiller, 2nd in 2015, and 1st in 2016.

ServoBillieves
08-24-2014, 05:07 PM
So... it was stupid to trade our 1st next year for an unknown wide receiver at the NFL level... But if we trade our SECOND next year as well for a backup quarterback... that's fine?

So... what happens when Cousins falls flat on his face in Hacketts system and we're clamoring that the FO wasted a second rounder on him and a former 1st round running back?

Praying for doom...

kingJofNYC
08-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Why would the Redskins be willing to trade Cousins if Spiller is included? Why Spiller specifically? Do the Redskins have an RB need, I don't think they do, especially when Spiller is a FA.

Not sure how including Spiller puts this deal over the top for the Skins.

Typ0
08-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Why would the Redskins be willing to trade Cousins if Spiller is included? Why Spiller specifically? Do the Redskins have an RB need, I don't think they do, especially when Spiller is a FA.

The thing that makes something like that viable is if the Spiller camp wants to do business with the Redskins right now. Sometimes those things happen ... but I agree it's highly unlikely. I'd like to see CJ tear it up here another year myself...but if he has to go somewhere and we can actually have a QB we gotta go that route.

stuckincincy
08-24-2014, 05:18 PM
I just don't see Spiller as highly as most and I expect the gap between what we will offer him for a new contract and what he thinks he is worth to be insurmountable.
I like Bryce Brown.
The Redskins will not trade Kirk Cousins for only a 2nd round pick.
They may be willing to do so if Spiller is added in.
It is going to take a radical move to change our QB situation.

Waiver wire pick ups are not going to do it.

That would leave WAS with Colt McCoy, which would be risky. And Griffin is getting heat:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24677942/joe-theismann-redskins-backup-qb-kirk-cousins-has-outplayed-rg3

Also, WAS only has about 2.8M in cap space so they would have to cook up some creative financing to accommodate Spiller or make some cuts they might not care to.

As it is, they have Cousins signed under a cheap contract. So I think that if WAS peddles off Cousins, it will be for draft picks.

swiper
08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
2012 draft recap:

Pick 10 - round 1 - Stephon Gilmore - CB (Buffalo)
Pick 41 - round 2 - Cordy Glenn - OT (Buffalo)
Pick 69 - round 3 - TJ Graham - WR (Buffalo)
Pick 75 - round 3 - Russell Wilson - QB (Seattle) - lead the Seahawks to a Super Bowl victory in 2013. Regular season QB rating of 101.2.
Pick 88 - round 3 - Nick Foles - QB (Philadephia) - #1 QB rating in the NFL in 2013. Threw for 27 TDs and only 2 INTs.
Pick 102 - round 4 - Kirk Cousins - QB (Washington) - drafted RG III in first round. He's reportedly having a great camp in 2014. Joe Theisman on record saying he should start in 2014.
Pick 105 - round 4 - Nigel Bradham - OLB (Buffalo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft

In 2014 the Bills feel backed into drafting EJ Manuel with their #1 pick.

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Perhaps the Redskins see Spiller as the kind of RB that when combined with their #1 RB would be highly effective.

You know what? The truth is I hated the Spiller pick and still do. I would like to kick Buddy Nix in his old balls for that pick.

He never should have been drafted in the top 10. Who drafts RBs in the top 10 anymore other than losers like the Browns and Bills?

Woodman
Somebody in Cleveland just smiled.

kingJofNYC
2012 draft recap:

Pick 75 - round 3 - Russell Wilson - QB (Seattle) - lead the Seahawks to a Super Bowl victory in 2013. Regular season QB rating of 101.2.
Pick 88 - round 3 - Nick Foles - QB (Philadephia) - #1 QB rating in the NFL in 2013. Threw for 27 TDs and only 2 INTs.
Pick 102 - round 4 - Kirk Cousins - QB (Washington) - drafted RG III in first round. He's reportedly having a great camp in 2014. Joe Theisman on record saying he should start in 2014.

This is what it comes down to. When they went in with Fitz, they went all in. Didn't draft a single QB to groom behind him, Fitz was their guy unfortunately. Then they cut him and are forced into drafting a QB because they had nothing at the position.

It's what happens repeatedly with this franchise, no foresight, no vision, no proper plan. Let Levitre go, who's are LG? A full season later and they still have no idea. Trade Jason Peters, who's your LT? Jonathon Scott and Demetrius Bell, two low round picks. Peters isn't replaced until Glenn is drafted in 2012, 4 years after Peters is traded. Let Poz go, who's our MLB? No real replacement until they draft Kiko. Now we let Byrd walk, they think A. Williams can play FS even though he's never played the position and has only 14 games under his belt at SS. Still not sure what the S pairings will be.

Before you let a player go, you should have someone on your roster that you know can do an equal or better job than the player you just let go, or you better make an effort to get one as soon as possible. Bills settle for short band aids that just exasperate the situation.

Franchise just makes bad decisions, Whaley's put together a decent squad, but the OL is in shambles right now and the QB they chose shouldn't be starting.

stuckincincy
08-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Somebody in Cleveland just smiled.

I don't get it...

swiper
08-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Graham didn't even look good returning punts yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get it...

Not often enough. We've heard. :boom:

Typ0
08-24-2014, 05:48 PM
When they went in with Fitz, they went all in.

What kind of team does that? He played enough before they knew what they were getting...nothing more than a band-aid. You really summed up why these guys should have been fired two years ago....hell ten years ago. It's just a sad incompetent club that is Ralph Wilson exclusive. I just hope in four years we are out of this mess and not just figuring out these guys need to go and we need to start over.

BertSquirtgum
08-24-2014, 05:51 PM
I will puke if the Bills do this. Those idiots could have had him or Russel wilson in the 3rd but decided TJ Graham was more suitable for the team. What a disgrace.

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I will puke if the Bills do this. Those idiots could have had him or Russel wilson in the 3rd but decided TJ Graham was more suitable for the team. What a disgrace.

I just don't know what the alternatives are.

I hope EJ improves quickly, but let's say he gets seriously injured in the next month. Marrone correctly has no faith in the back up QBs. Let's face it they made no effort to bring in any competition for EJ.

Do you throw away this year and probably next year?

With no 1st round pick, where do you get a QB?

Waste this year and next year of Watkins' rookie contract by having no competent QB to throw to him?

If EJ is not the guy, drastic changes are needed.

stuckincincy
08-24-2014, 05:56 PM
2012 draft recap:

The 2011 draft:

#34 BUF Aaron Williams, DB
#35 CIN Andy Dalton, QB
#36 SF Colin Kaepernik, QB

YardRat
08-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Did I miss something? Did the team indicate they were interested in Cousins at all, let alone 'serious' about him?

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Did I miss something? Did the team indicate they were interested in Cousins at all, let alone 'serious' about him?

How could the team publicly say they are interested in Cousins?

These are the kind of posts that have me shaking my head.

All the Bills can and will say publicly is that they have complete faith in EJ.

Crap!! They made no attempt to bring in a serious back up QB so as to not put pressure on EJ.

On the other hand, they would have to be blind to not be seeing what we are seeing.

justasportsfan
08-24-2014, 06:44 PM
I just don't know what the alternatives are.

I hope EJ improves quickly, but let's say he gets seriously injured in the next month. Marrone correctly has no faith in the back up QBs. Let's face it they made no effort to bring in any competition for EJ.

Do you throw away this year and probably next year?

With no 1st round pick, where do you get a QB?

Waste this year and next year of Watkins' rookie contract by having no competent QB to throw to him?

If EJ is not the guy, drastic changes are needed.

What if Peyton wants to join the billsvor if Andrew Luck wants to be traded to the bills.......I like my IFs better than yours

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 06:48 PM
What if Peyton wants to join the billsvor if Andrew Luck wants to be traded to the bills.......I like my IFs better than yours

Well yours came out of your ass so you should like them better.

I'm just tying to come up with a contingency plan to replace EJ if necessary.

k-oneputt
08-24-2014, 06:53 PM
I would trade Spiller for Cousins And I like Spiller.

No qb, no win. And thats why I say keep drafting one every year until you find one, but of course the smart guys think they are wasting a pick.

swiper
08-24-2014, 06:54 PM

I believe the inference is that they should be interested given Manuel's performances.

YardRat
08-24-2014, 07:00 PM
How could the team publicly say they are interested in Cousins?

These are the kind of posts that have me shaking my head.

All the Bills can and will say publicly is that they have complete faith in EJ.

Crap!! They made no attempt to bring in a serious back up QB so as to not put pressure on EJ.

On the other hand, they would have to be blind to not be seeing what we are seeing.

Yeah, the kind of posts that have me shaking my head are the ones that insinuate horse**** out of thin air....like this thread.

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Yeah, the kind of posts that have me shaking my head are the ones that insinuate horse**** out of thin air....like this thread.

Just ignore the thread.

Pretty easy to do.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
They already have Alfred Morris and their scheme doesn't throw to RBs often.

Why would they want Spiller?

SpikedLemonade
08-24-2014, 07:12 PM
They already have Alfred Morris and their scheme doesn't throw to RBs often.

Why would they want Spiller?

You are probably right.

Somehow we drafted a RB in the top 10 that probably less than a handful of teams would have interest in trading any value for.

Unbelievable.

bosshogg21
08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
I think we should Draft all qbs next Draft with our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick just to see if 1 pans out.

k-oneputt
08-25-2014, 04:32 AM
I think we should Draft all qbs next Draft with our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick just to see if 1 pans out.

Doesn't matter they will still screw it up since they obviously don't know what an NFL qb looks like.
Just look for the guy with the biggest hands, who care's if he can't hit a wide open wr.

Mr. Pink
08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
You are probably right.

Somehow we drafted a RB in the top 10 that probably less than a handful of teams would have interest in trading any value for.

Unbelievable.

The running back position is so devalued in today's NFL. I still don't know how the Browns pulled off getting a 1st for TRich.

JohnnyGold
08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Marrone correctly has no faith in the back up QBs. Let's face it they made no effort to bring in any competition for EJ.

People talk about Pegula buying this team, and continuously say
"I hope he keeps Whaley."

But yet, 12 months ago, when EJ hurt his knee against Minnesota in meaningless preseason game, and we were looking at TUEL starting week 1 against NE, we were saying how unprepared we were at QB, and what an embarrassment it was. And here we are, 12 months later, same situation.

At some point, can we begin to criticize Whaley for not cutting bait with Lewis and Tuel, and bringing in guys like Skelton? Josh Freeman? David Carr? TIM TEBOW???

Anyone of those guys would be a better #2, and with the way EJ played this past week, I would LOVE for him to be looking over his shoulder at capable back ups.

Considering Hacket's offense seems to be about as simple as things get, even bringing those guys in today, and giving them 2 weeks to get up to speed, would be a more viable option for week 1 than what we're doing. I fail to see how this man, Doug Whaley, is above criticism.