How Bad a Record Would Force the New Owner to Can This Coaching Staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

How Bad a Record Would Force the New Owner to Can This Coaching Staff?

I am thinking it would need to be 4-12.

I think the new owner keeps this coaching staff for a 3rd year if they end up at 6-10 again.

I don't know how Whaley remains if the coaching staff goes.

You would think the logical move would be to bring in a high profile GM and let him choose his coaching staff for a complete rebuild.
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: How Bad a Record Would Force the New Owner to Can This Coaching Staff?

They should clean house no matter the record. Get their own guys in here because after 14 years of suck. It's pretty obvious the people in the front office don't know what they're doing.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

A losing record would do it. Maybe even 8-8.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
        A losing record would do it. Maybe even 8-8.
        If 7-9 gets them fired, that would explain Marrone's anger recently since even he realizes that this is not a 8-8 team right now.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

They have changed the HC 6 times since 2000 and it hasn't worked yet.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            They have changed the HC 6 times since 2000 and it hasn't worked yet.
            Sure that is because we keep hiring bargain basement coaching to go with our bargain basement GMs.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Depends on who the new owner is, IMO.

If the owner is a guy like Pegula, where money is no object, I'd think there is a much better chance that the Coaches get the hook quicker. Because I believe a guy like Pegula would pay for a top flight front office staff, unlike Wilson.

IMO, had Pegula owned the team in 2010, we'd have had a much better HC brought in, instead of simply hearing about all these secret meetings and offering $10 million for a Head Coach, only to wind up with Chan Gailey.

My guess is, Trump would probably do the same... The difference is, I dunno if Trump would be in the financial position to have money be no object after buying the team, like Pegula likely will.

I will say one thing: When we get a new owner and if they end up hiring a top-tier coach, that will put a huge dent in that whole "coaches don't want to come to Buffalo" myth that we heard time and time again during the Ralph Wilson era.

-Bill

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Anything 7-9 or below should cause the new owner to completely clean house.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                  Sure that is because we keep hiring bargain basement coaching to go with our bargain basement GMs.
                  Certainly so. The NFL bends over backwards to try to get their beloved parity. Lesser teams get first dibs on waivers, the draft positions, extra cap space, easier schedules. Being lousy for such an extended period is hard to do.
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

No one is going anywhere this offseason barring 0-16.

New owner is going to want to be able to work firsthand with whoever is on staff to make their own judgement on who stays and who goes.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                      The problem before is that Ralph's situation kept many good HC's away. Now with the ownership likely being settled and the team not in any danger of moving for decades, Pegs stands a better chance. Although Marrone was a highly-regarded prospect.
                      Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                      Depends on who the new owner is, IMO.

If the owner is a guy like Pegula, where money is no object, I'd think there is a much better chance that the Coaches get the hook quicker. Because I believe a guy like Pegula would pay for a top flight front office staff, unlike Wilson.

IMO, had Pegula owned the team in 2010, we'd have had a much better HC brought in, instead of simply hearing about all these secret meetings and offering $10 million for a Head Coach, only to wind up with Chan Gailey.

My guess is, Trump would probably do the same... The difference is, I dunno if Trump would be in the financial position to have money be no object after buying the team, like Pegula likely will.

I will say one thing: When we get a new owner and if they end up hiring a top-tier coach, that will put a huge dent in that whole "coaches don't want to come to Buffalo" myth that we heard time and time again during the Ralph Wilson era.

-Bill
                      Pegs will look at what happened with the Sabres and be more likely to cut ties with Marrone and his staff. And Whaley didn't hire Marrone, so he'll give Pegs his honest assessment.
                      Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                      No one is going anywhere this offseason barring 0-16.

New owner is going to want to be able to work firsthand with whoever is on staff to make their own judgement on who stays and who goes.
                      That's what Whaley is there for.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                        Although Marrone was a highly-regarded prospect.
                        Chip Kelly was a highly-regarded prospect.

Bills propaganda told us Marrone was but why would he be?

The best he could do was to bring Syracuse -- not exactly a powerhouse -- to a 8-5 record.

I never bought into the Marrone hype.

Marrone's hiring of Hackett was misplaced loyalty.

Hackett is way over his head.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

I guess my thought is 8-8 or less and a new owner won't be concerned too much about risk versus reward and will have his own ideas.

Unless Manuel catches fire I think Whaley doomed himself with the desperate Watkins tradeup. No other franchise is going to give him the keys to the car after he essentially kicked the next regime in the crotch with a misplaced analysis of being one receiver (even if an awesome one) away. He had to know better, and if he didn't, well in any case he's headed back to Pittsburgh for a scouting or personnel job reporting to someone who knows better.

I think Marrone doomed himself by bringing in his college crewboys, and most critically not hiring a QB coach and then a bad one, not getting a stable vet and then none. I think he ends up a line coach (though I dunno why he should be), or heads back to college ranks. Letting your vet RB dunk on you one year and attempting hardass the next basically wasted two years of precious NFL coaching term he's not going to see again for a long time if ever. He wasn't prepared.

The only way this goes on, imho, is if suddenly the light comes on for Manuel and he becomes a master of the field.

You can get upset at me for saying it, but I think he's going to get hurt again, and Hackett will keep calling plays for the '92 Bills who aren't here anymore, and we start all over again, again, but without a first round pick next year or a quarterback.

I see them going 5-11 and a new owner probably already saw about as much as I do at least and will think this is REALLY the time to start again, whether it is or not.

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

Lets hope the philosophy isn't Marrone aint going nowhere.
                            This team has so much talent, yet the talent is always mismanaged. We always get a front office deficient in the coaching staff area.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Pegs knows how to tank.

look at the Sabres.

Comment

Working...
                              X