PDA

View Full Version : Bradham and Spikes

jimmifli
08-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Bradham and Spikes have been destructive all preseason. It's fun watching them on defense. Spike has been burned a few times in coverage and I expect to see more of that as the season goes on, but overall what a massive upgrade.

I hope he resigns, I'd love to see them play with Kiko next year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/24/refo-buccaneers-bills-preseason-week-3/
Brandon Spikes, MLB, +4.3
Breakdown: At his best coming forward, Tampa Bay struggled to cope with the Bills’ buccaneering middle linebacker last night. Exposed once in coverage by Doug Martin in the first quarter Spikes was otherwise driving downhill either as a pass rusher or run defender making stops and leaving his mark on Josh McCown.
Signature Play: Proving not to be a complete liability in coverage, Spikes drove on a badly forced throw by Mike Glennon on his final snap in the game (Q3, 10:11) to punch the Bucs off the field.

Nigel Bradham, SLB, +1.7
Breakdown:The loss of Kiko Alonso might have raised concerns but right now the Bills’ linebacking corps looks to be a real strength of the defense. The trio of Nigel Bradham, Spikes and Keith Rivers earned a combined +9.9 overall grade and netted 10 stops. This is Bradham’s fourth straight positive grade in the preseason, grading a cumulative +6.2 overall on 76 preseason snaps.
Signature Stat: Tied Spikes for the team lead with four stops.

SeatownBillsFan21
08-26-2014, 12:47 AM
Thanks this is encouraging

Luisito23
08-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Bradham is turning out to be a much better player than I thought he would be.

I wanna see him keep this up all season though, and Spikes' a tank.

swiper
08-26-2014, 04:21 AM
Rivers also had a nice game vs Tampa Bay.

YardRat
08-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Yeah, the LBers have been encouraging...we're somewhat solid with the front seven going into the season.

Fletch
08-26-2014, 05:53 AM
Bradham is turning out to be a much better player than I thought he would be.

I wanna see him keep this up all season though, and Spikes' a tank.

This conversation is a bit premature, don't we think?

Bradham has had two seasons to prove something against 1st-teams during the regular season and he's failed to even prove that he's capable of being an average starting LB.

So he plays well against a team with McCown for a QB and Doug Martin coming off of a serious injury last season and he's great?

This is how we set ourselves up to have our hopes dashed in the regular season. Just sayin'. Bradham did next to nothing in three other preseason games and twice against offenses that really aren't very good and the Giants who are struggling big time, as bad as we are.

Meanwhile no sacks, no INTs, no FFs.

I'll believe it when I see it this regular season that he's even an average starter.

coastal
08-26-2014, 06:27 AM
It's really too bad about Kiko.

That trio could have been nasty.

Ginger Vitis
08-26-2014, 06:43 AM
So he plays well against a team with McCown for a QB and Doug Martin coming off of a serious injury last season and he's great?

No one has said Nigel Bradham is great

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Actually Bradham was pretty solid his rookie season. Not great, but certainly he was "average"

Night Train
08-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Good post.

The front 7 is the strength of this team.

jimmifli
08-26-2014, 07:22 AM
This conversation is a bit premature, don't we think?

Bradham has had two seasons to prove something against 1st-teams during the regular season and he's failed to even prove that he's capable of being an average starting LB.

This is how we set ourselves up to have our hopes dashed in the regular season. Just sayin'. Bradham did next to nothing in three other preseason games and twice against offenses that really aren't very good and the Giants who are struggling big time, as bad as we are.

Meanwhile no sacks, no INTs, no FFs.

I'll believe it when I see it this regular season that he's even an average starter.

Bradham was our best linebacker for the last 6 games of the season. He's been good every time he's gotten a chance to play.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Bradham was our best linebacker for the last 6 games of the season. He's been good every time he's gotten a chance to play.

must be the weed

SpikedLemonade
08-26-2014, 08:24 AM
It is encouraging.

ServoBillieves
08-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Optimism? Positivity? NO MENTION OF EJ?! Something's wrong with the board...

Like the read, and yeah the loss of Kiko was pretty devastating. Kiko filling in on the plays Spikes has struggled with and you fix your problem right there.

jimmifli
08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
No one has said Nigel Bradham is great
I think that will be changing by the end of this season. He's continuing his high level of play from last season.

If the defense has a couple of good games, he'll get talked about a lot.

Mr. Pink
08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
I was encouraged by Bradham staying with Jeff Demps on a route in the redzone Saturday.

If Bradham can keep up with an Olympic sprinter, he should be able to keep up with almost all backs and tight ends in the NFL in coverage.

CommissarSpartacus
08-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I wanted to draft Spikes but we took future HOFamer Torrell Troupe instead...

jimmifli
09-17-2014, 11:11 AM
There's still some room on the Bradham bandwagon.

better days
09-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Plenty of room on the Spikes band wagon as well.

Fletch
09-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Spikes hasn't done very much so far considering how everyone's played him up.

Someone posted the snap counts and as I remember he was on the field for less than 20% of the plays.

It's clear that he's a one dimensional linebacker and I think that the team has figured that out. He's a liability on passing downs.

jimmifli
09-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Plenty of room on the Spikes band wagon as well.
I think most of the board spent the offseason talking about how much we needed him. Then we actually got him. Then we were right, he is awesome at smashing RBs and not so good at covering WRs.

He instantly fixed the weakest spot on our D. He's got lots of fans.

better days
09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
I think most of the board spent the offseason talking about how much we needed him. Then we actually got him. Then we were right, he is awesome at smashing RBs and not so good at covering WRs.

He instantly fixed the weakest spot on our D. He's got lots of fans.

He has also gotten into the backfield & pressured the QB as well as being GREAT against the run.

People were saying in the off season that if Spikes were any good, the Pats* would have kept him.

I remember StuckinCincy saying that after the Bears game.

jimmifli
09-17-2014, 11:30 AM
People were saying in the off season that if Spikes were any good, the Pats* would have kept him.

He's one dimensional and they didn't want to pay him for being a part time player. That makes sense on a team that has to pay Brady. But we've got a QB on a new rookie deal. He'll be cheap for years, we can afford to pay for a player like Spikes. Good decision for both teams.

Lucidvizion
09-17-2014, 01:00 PM

I've liked him since he first started seeing a good chunk of snaps towards the end of his rookie season. He's fast as heck for a LB and he has good instincts.

casdhf
09-17-2014, 01:22 PM
What is Bradham's contract status?

The Jokeman
09-17-2014, 01:33 PM
What is Bradham's contract status?

He's still on his rookie contract so not due to be an UFA until 2016.

better days
09-17-2014, 09:49 PM
He's one dimensional and they didn't want to pay him for being a part time player. That makes sense on a team that has to pay Brady. But we've got a QB on a new rookie deal. He'll be cheap for years, we can afford to pay for a player like Spikes. Good decision for both teams.

BS about being one dimensional.

Spikes blitzed 8 times in the Bears game.

And Spikes salary is not exactly comparable to Mario's salary.

The ONLY reason the Pats* got rid of Spikes is that Spikes & Billy Boy don't like each other.

jimmifli
09-17-2014, 11:04 PM
BS about being one dimensional.

Spikes blitzed 8 times in the Bears game.

And Spikes salary is not exactly comparable to Mario's salary.

The ONLY reason the Pats* got rid of Spikes is that Spikes & Billy Boy don't like each other.
Good god man. I like Spikes, I posted more here than almost anyone about how much we needed him. I'm really glad he's here and he's absolutely lived up to expectations. But he shouldn't be on the field during passing situations. He just shouldn't. The fact that he "blitzed" is irrelevant. There's no way he's dropping back in coverage so he's not going to surprise an offense -they aren't guessing what he's going to do. He's going to shoot a gap, run or pass, and the offense is always going to account for him. He's just really ****ing hard to block.

His salary may be "cheap", but he's only playing 20% of the snaps when his team is leading. On the Pats, they had big leads pretty often, and teams threw the ball - a lot. They felt they could spend that cash somewhere other than on a guy (who is the best in the NFL at what he does) that plays about 1/4 of defensive snaps. I don't blame them at all.

better days
09-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Good god man. I like Spikes, I posted more here than almost anyone about how much we needed him. I'm really glad he's here and he's absolutely lived up to expectations. But he shouldn't be on the field during passing situations. He just shouldn't. The fact that he "blitzed" is irrelevant. There's no way he's dropping back in coverage so he's not going to surprise an offense -they aren't guessing what he's going to do. He's going to shoot a gap, run or pass, and the offense is always going to account for him. He's just really ****ing hard to block.

His salary may be "cheap", but he's only playing 20% of the snaps when his team is leading. On the Pats, they had big leads pretty often, and teams threw the ball - a lot. They felt they could spend that cash somewhere other than on a guy (who is the best in the NFL at what he does) that plays about 1/4 of defensive snaps. I don't blame them at all.

Good God wake up & smell the SH-T.

The Pats* got rid of Logan Mankins as well this offseason.

The Pats* are not all knowing.

The loss of both of them will prove to be HUGE to the Pats* before the season is over.

jimmifli
12-14-2014, 04:06 PM
I love half this team plus Fred.

better days
12-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Good God wake up & smell the SH-T.

The Pats* got rid of Logan Mankins as well this offseason.

The Pats* are not all knowing.

The loss of both of them will prove to be HUGE to the Pats* before the season is over.

Well, the Pats* haven't missed either of them thus far.

But, wait until the playoffs.

YardRat
12-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the LBers have been encouraging...we're somewhat solid with the front seven going into the season.

Officially nominated for Understatement of the Year...

DynaPaul
12-14-2014, 05:39 PM
We have depth at the very least.