PDA

View Full Version : Pats trade Logan Mankins to TB

GingerP
08-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Wow, that is a big trade. They got TE Tim Wright and a draft pick back.

Per Jay Glazer:

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/504321112894107650

Meathead
08-26-2014, 12:19 PM
if he and halle berry had their first son what would they name him

gebobs
08-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Any interest in the Bills taking another look at Incognito?

No? OK. Just checking.

justasportsfan
08-26-2014, 12:21 PM
OH boy. Another productive TE to the Pats.

gebobs
08-26-2014, 12:22 PM
if he and halle berry had their first son what would they name him

http://loganberry.com/CrystalBeachImages/Original-20oz.jpg

swiper
08-26-2014, 12:22 PM
This Chris Williams signing is looking more & more ugly.

streetkings01
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
This Chris Williams signing is looking more & more ugly.Please explain what this trade has to do with the Chris Williams signing? I'm confused?!?!?

gebobs
08-26-2014, 12:27 PM
OH boy. Another productive TE to the Pats.

I don't know why TB moved him to TE, but he was a WR at Rutgers. Kind of smallish for a TE at 220.

swiper
08-26-2014, 12:30 PM
How does TB go out and get a Pro Bowl guard this late in the preseason? Unbelievable.

GingerP
08-26-2014, 12:32 PM
I wonder what the draft pick they got back is. This reminds me of when they traded Richard Seymour.

justasportsfan
08-26-2014, 12:37 PM
The Pats got suckered. They had to trade their probowl guard to get a TE. We got Palmer for nothing.

gebobs
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
The Pats got suckered. They had to trade their probowl guard to get a TE. We got Palmer for nothing.

Is it just me or do players that leave the Pats generally fall off the level they played at in NE?

justasportsfan
08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Is it just me or do players that leave the Pats generally fall off the level they played at in NE?

Seymore was still good as was Welker. Then there's Adalius Thomas and then Bledsoe.

swiper
08-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Jim Plunkett?

GingerP
08-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Ended up a 4th-round pick. This must have been to dump his salary, because he made a lot of money. Maybe they need the room for extensions. Odd move.

Fletch
08-26-2014, 12:57 PM
How does TB go out and get a Pro Bowl guard this late in the preseason? Unbelievable.

This is a nothing trade.

Mankins is in his back-9 for a G and he's had injury issues the last few seasons.

Nothing to see here.

I'm surprised that we didn't offer up next year's 2nd or 3rd rounders though, those are still available to be traded away.

Homegrown
08-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.<o:p></o:p>
- Branch Rickey

EDS
08-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Guess we should lower expectations for Spikes.

Albany,n.y.
08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Any interest in the Bills taking another look at Incognito?

No? OK. Just checking.

He's probably going to NE to replace Mankins.

justasportsfan
08-26-2014, 01:51 PM
the pats can bring in the best TE in the nfl and it won't matter. We now have Spikes to cover them.

Meathead
08-26-2014, 01:57 PM
http://loganberry.com/CrystalBeachImages/Original-20oz.jpg

i was going for hal mankins but yours was good too

gebobs
08-26-2014, 02:00 PM
i was going for hal mankins but yours was good too

halogen manberry?

Woodman
08-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Poor move by the Pats.

Guys like Mankins don't grow on trees.

GingerP
08-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Poor move by the Pats.

Guys like Mankins don't grow on trees.

They have a history of this type of thing, though. Milloy, Seymour, Vrabel, etc. Core guys, all, but they still manage to win games after dumping them.

Woodman
08-26-2014, 02:32 PM
They have a history of this type of thing, though. Milloy, Seymour, Vrabel, etc. Core guys, all, but they still manage to win games after dumping them.

I agree they get more out of a player than most.

Still dropping Mankins will have a negative effect when all is said and done.

better days
08-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Guess we should lower expectations for Spikes.

I seem to be the only person on this board with HIGH expectations for Spikes & I am not lowering them.

Bunion
08-26-2014, 02:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Mankins

Somebody's having fun with Mankin's Wiki page.

Mankins was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on August 26, 2014 for tight end Tim Wright, a sandwich from Ybor City, and a 4th round draft pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

It is unknown whether the deal is contingent on Mankins shaving his beard.

paladin warrior
08-26-2014, 02:59 PM
:haha: patriots is going down :down:......:monkeyp:Tom .B:hang:

better days
08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Mankins

Somebody's having fun with Mankin's Wiki page.

Well, those Cuban sandwiches from Ybor are pretty good, But you would think that would be involved with a trade with the Jets.

You know how Rex loves his sandwiches.

chris66
08-26-2014, 04:46 PM
This is a nothing trade.

Mankins is in his back-9 for a G and he's had injury issues the last few seasons.

Nothing to see here.

I'm surprised that we didn't offer up next year's 2nd or 3rd rounders though, those are still available to be traded away.

Agreed. i still like him as a run blocker, but he was getting beat by top tier d lineman. Its saved the pats 8.5 million against the cap. Pats now have around 20 million in cap space. Revis extension looks to be on the horizon

chris66
08-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I seem to be the only person on this board with HIGH expectations for Spikes & I am not lowering them.You saw what Spikes was in the tampa game. great against the run , gets beat in coverage. he should be above average against most teams, but will be exposed against good offenses

better days
08-26-2014, 05:03 PM
You saw what Spikes was in the tampa game. great against the run , gets beat in coverage. he should be above average against most teams, but will be exposed against good offenses

With the way he stops the run, I can live with giving up a few passing yards with Spikes.

It is not like they are going to be long completions against Spikes....& you can bet that after the completion, Spikes will lay the wood on that receiver.

EDS
08-26-2014, 05:26 PM
What is it with the Pats and Rutgers players? I assume they view him as a replacement for Aaron Hernandez?

The Jokeman
08-26-2014, 05:58 PM
What is it with the Pats and Rutgers players? I assume they view him as a replacement for Aaron Hernandez?

Belichick maintain is tight with Greg Schiano as the latter let Billy's kid long snap in 2011. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4742784/patriots-rutgers-connection-runs-deep Yes, Wright is projected to be Aaron Hernandez role which kind of scary as if you look at his numbers last year as a rookie playing with the Bucs QBs in 2013 he put up great numbers. Now that he playing with Brady he could be even more dangerous. Yet with the Patriots weaker at OG we might have a better chance with Dareus and Kyle making plays up the middle to get to Brady. As we all know he's less effect with defenders around him.

DynaPaul
08-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Typical Belichick loyalty right there.

Goobylal
08-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I love this trade. Mankins was an all-pro OG for the Pats. Who will be replacing him? No one near as good. And they got a 6'4" 220# H-back who can't block or run the ball like Hernandez could, and the Pats' offense isn't easy to grasp, especially for someone added this late in the game.

swiper
08-27-2014, 04:21 AM
I love this trade. Mankins was an all-pro OG for the Pats. Who will be replacing him? No one near as good. And they got a 6'4" 220# H-back who can't block or run the ball like Hernandez could, and the Pats' offense isn't easy to grasp, especially for someone added this late in the game.

I don't claim to know the answer to that question, but don't you think they wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't think they had a more than adequate replacement?

JohnnyGold
08-27-2014, 05:43 AM
I live in the Patriots market and pats fans are not happy with this trade.

The biggest concern heading into this season for them was oline play. Brady is old and feels pressure that isn't necessarily there. He has a very tight relationship with his olinemen, Mankins in particular. People have speculated this is Brady's last season in New England, and the reason that Beli made this move is because he has liked what he has seen from Goropolo this preseason--also why they are willing to deal Mallet. They are looking to get younger and avoid a protracted rebuild.

Don't be surpised if this is the last hurrah for the Patriots as we currently know them.

Bunion
08-27-2014, 05:55 AM
I live in the Patriots market and pats fans are not happy with this trade.

The biggest concern heading into this season for them was oline play. Brady is old and feels pressure that isn't necessarily there. He has a very tight relationship with his olinemen, Mankins in particular. People have speculated this is Brady's last season in New England, and the reason that Beli made this move is because he has liked what he has seen from Goropolo this preseason--also why they are willing to deal Mallet. They are looking to get younger and avoid a protracted rebuild.

Don't be surpised if this is the last hurrah for the Patriots as we currently know them.

Patsfans.com is a joy to read right now. Thanks for putting me on to that. So much 'I don't really know, but In Bill We Trust'. Which would be pathetic if not for how safe a bet trust BB usually is.

GingerP
08-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Patsfans.com is a joy to read right now. Thanks for putting me on to that. So much 'I don't really know, but In Bill We Trust'. Which would be pathetic if not for how safe a bet trust BB usually is.

I guess it is easy to trust a guy when the team wins 11-12 games a year.

gebobs
08-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Time to trade Brady to the Bills so he can end his career without dignity.

Goobylal
08-27-2014, 08:35 AM
I don't claim to know the answer to that question, but don't you think they wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't think they had a more than adequate replacement?
For an AP All-Pro? Doubtful at best. And the replacement, whoever it may be, hasn't been practicing with the ones or playing against ones in pre-season.

coastal
08-27-2014, 08:52 AM
halogen manberry?
Don't encourage him.

bdutton
08-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Pats filled a need at TE. Got a 4th round draft pic. Lost a pro bowl guard in the tail end of his career and scheduled to earn 10 and 11 mil in the next two years of his contract.

Listening to the WEEI morning show they were suggesting that the drop off between Mankins and his backup is not that great. While this will mean Brady will probably get hit a few more times, it also means that they have a starting caliber TE to augment Gronk or replace if he gets injured.

better days
08-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Pats filled a need at TE. Got a 4th round draft pic. Lost a pro bowl guard in the tail end of his career and scheduled to earn 10 and 11 mil in the next two years of his contract.

Listening to the WEEI morning show they were suggesting that the drop off between Mankins and his backup is not that great. While this will mean Brady will probably get hit a few more times, it also means that they have a starting caliber TE to augment Gronk or replace if he gets injured.

Well, Wright is not really a starting caliber TE which is why Tampa drafted Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd rnd.

And also why they traded him to the Pats*, no big loss for the Bucs.

gebobs
08-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Pats filled a need at TE.
Wright's not really a TE. Sure he can come off the end of the line and catch a pass, but he'll struggle in blocking situations.

Goobylal
08-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Gee, WEEI made that claim? Shocker.

Well, Wright is not really a starting caliber TE which is why Tampa drafted Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd rnd.

And also why they traded him to the Pats*, no big loss for the Bucs.

Wright's not really a TE. Sure he can come off the end of the line and catch a pass, but he'll struggle in blocking situations.
Yep. He's an H-back who can't block. And the Pats' system is pretty complicated and he's got a week and a half to learn the playbook.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
So is this the year the Pats implode because of the loss of Mankins?

Every year they let someone go elsewhere and we hear they're done.

Goobylal
08-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Their time is coming soon.

better days
08-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Brady started his descent last season.

The time bomb is ticking.

swiper
08-27-2014, 05:02 PM
For an AP All-Pro? Doubtful at best. And the replacement, whoever it may be, hasn't been practicing with the ones or playing against ones in pre-season.

LOL. This is the Pats. Not the Bills.

Goobylal
08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Brady started his descent last season.

The time bomb is ticking.
Yep. Hence that 1-year deal for Revis.

LOL. This is the Pats. Not the Bills.
I'm sure Marcell is thankful Mankins is gone.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-27-2014, 05:39 PM

We also hear that guards are easily replaceable cogs, so it sounds like we have a bit of a logic bomb here.

GingerP
08-27-2014, 07:47 PM

I don't know. From watching them play this preseason I think this is their best team since 2007. They look much improved on defense and better on offense. They even have a promising, young QB. That team is scary the way they roll along.

Goobylal
08-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't know. From watching them play this preseason I think this is their best team since 2007. They look much improved on defense and better on offense. They even have a promising, young QB. That team is scary the way they roll along.
Brady's time is coming to a close. And Garroppolo hasn't played against 1st stringers yet.

gebobs
08-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Nope, not getting that third win against Brady this year.

better days
08-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Nope, not getting that third win against Brady this year.

The third win may not be against Brady.

Injuries take longer to heal at age 37, even minor ones.

gebobs
08-28-2014, 08:09 AM
The third win may not be against Brady.

Injuries take longer to heal at age 37, even minor ones.

Yes, but to be clear, I'm talking about the Bills third win specifically against Brady. 2-22 over his career.

Bill Cody
08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Supposedly the Pats asked Mankins to restructure and he declined. Apparently Brady is not pleased with the deal.

swiper
08-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Supposedly the Pats asked Mankins to restructure and he declined. Apparently Brady is not pleased with the deal.

NFLN running this on their bottom line this morning.

http://musketfire.com/2014/08/27/nfl-rumors-patriots-guard-logan-mankins-refused-take-pay-cut-traded/

better days
08-28-2014, 12:35 PM
NFLN running this on their bottom line this morning.

http://musketfire.com/2014/08/27/nfl-rumors-patriots-guard-logan-mankins-refused-take-pay-cut-traded/

I heard it on WGR as well. I heard about $8 Mill/ year.

Mankins is not Levitre. he is a little older, but also is a multi pro bowl player.

As a Bills fan & Bucs fan, I am happy with this trade

DynaPaul
08-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Will Garopolo have a special headset in his helmet like Brady does that tells him what to do?