X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Bills have a new rookie RT, but it's not the one you thought after the draft

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

I gotta see him in live action a couple of weeks, but as someone who doesn't buy jerseys - if he keeps it up, I would consider buying a Seantrel jersey.

Bills' have a rookie starting at right tackle, but it's not the higher pick
    Paul Hamilton

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- When the Bills took tackle Cyrus Kouandjio in the second round of this year’s draft, many thought the kid would take over for Erik Pears.

The Alabama product has looked so bad in training camp and in the preseason games that if he wasn’t a second round pick, he’d likely be cut.

Enter seventh round pick Seantrel Henderson. At Miami, he was a guy that couldn’t stay out of trouble. I remember reading that early in his college career some thought he could be a first round pick, but nobody wanted to chance the iffy behavior. Doug Whaley did and now, he’ll be the starting right tackle when the Bills head to Chicago.

Injuries could always derail that plan but Doug Marrone said, ““I thought Pears did some really good things against who I respect as one of the top players at his position, so I like him there at right guard and I like Seantrel at right tackle.” Marrone added, “If everyone remains healthy and it remains the same and they continue to keep playing like they’re playing, I see that as what we’ll go with.”

Henderson is a huge man at 6’7, 331. He is just thankful that somebody believed in him, “This makes me feel real good. This is always what I wanted to do and I’m glad I got the opportunity to become a Buffalo Bill.”

Whaley and Doug Marrone told Henderson he has one chance and one chance only to turn his life around and stay out of trouble. He has done just that and has taken advantage of his opportunity to show things are different, “I’m glad they took the chance and drafted me. Ever since I’ve been here I’ve just been working hard and getting better with the whole team, doing everything I have to do in order to play.”

Henderson started OTA’s and training camp at left tackle because of the illness that plagued Cordy Glenn. With Glenn back, Marrone didn’t like how the line looked so he took Kraig Urbik out and moved Erik Pears to right guard. That opened up right tackle for Henderson. The rookie said there are a few adjustments flipping over, “It’s not real hard, I played right tackle in college. When you start getting muscle memory on the left side and then you go back to the right side, you’ve just got to gain that back but as long as I work at it, for me it’s not that hard.”

It really has been amazing how well Henderson has made the transition from college to the NFL. He said, “You can’t take no days off. In the NFL everybody’s either as good as you or better than you or just as big as you or bigger than you, so you’ve just got to go hard every day as far as working at you craft and being accountable, reliable and dependable at all times so that’s what I’ve learned the most.”

Many folks are nervous that the Bills are still changing positions on the offensive line with just one preseason game remaining. The line will play in that final game and Henderson doesn’t mind, “It won’t be difficult, so far we’ve (he and Pears) have been making it work and from here on out, that’s what we’re going to keep on doing to get better and better every day and getting to know each other and work with each other every day.

• The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Bills have a new rookie RT, but it's not the one you thought after the draft

Everyone likes the underdog. I hope Henderson does well just like the other guy but damn it would have been nice to have Kujo develop too. That said the O-line was horrible against Tampa. As not sure I'm sold on Erie Pears at RG and Richardson at LG. Henderson at RT isn't bad but I personally feel the best 5 if healthy from left to right are Glenn, Williams, Wood, Richardson and Pears.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Re: Bills have a new rookie RT, but it's not the one you thought after the draft

Henderson will only get better while Pears will only get worse. And I don't think Richardson is better than Pears at RG.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I am so rooting for this kid to grow into a really decent OT.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jills
          • Oct 2009

Let's hope he stays out of trouble for a very long time.

Comment

• Buffalogic
            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
            • Feb 2006

Lucky late pick, succeeds unexpectedly, rises to the top of his position, new contract due, he walks. Sound familiar anyone?

Comment

• Jaybird
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
              Lucky late pick, succeeds unexpectedly, rises to the top of his position, new contract due, he walks. Sound familiar anyone?
              not lucky at all. he has a 5 star player coming out of high school, but a terrible attitude and work ethic. if he keeps his head straight, he could dominate as a tackle for many years

Comment

• Homegrown
                Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                • Jul 2008

Michael Jasper?

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Peters didn't have a new contract due. In fact the Bills gave him a new contract after just 2 years in the league, and he was 2 years into that one.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

Peters was not picked, wasn't due a contract and didn't walk.

Unless you meant Demetrius (I refuse to change his name) Bell, who didn't succeed unexpectedly and didn't rise to the top of his position.

Did you mean Corbin Lacina?
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

There will be two Rookies starting.....

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                        Only if Chris Wiiliams isn't back from injury, so to speak.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

But he's not a TE coming out of college.

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                            I don't know if that's a bad thing. Chris Williams didn't look very good.

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

how much will yall pay me NOT to show up at seans door with a bag of chronic?
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X