PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Struggling in SF

The King
08-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I honestly feel like Chan Gailey may have cursed Johnson. He unpredictability is going to make it tough for him to catch on with other teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/colin-kaepernick-still-trying-to-figure-stevie-johnson-out/

New 49ers receiver Stevie Johnson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4962/stevie-johnson) hasn’t done much of anything this preseason, catching just two passes for 11 yards in three games. Colin Kaepernick (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernick) says that’s because he can’t always find Johnson on the field.
According to Kaepernick, Johnson doesn’t always run routes the way Kaepernick is expecting, and that means Kaepernick doesn’t necessarily see Johnson get open.

justasportsfan
08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
SF should release him and texans should reunite him with Fitz.

ryjam282
08-28-2014, 01:13 PM
What's that say about our team, LOL. Our #1 WR can't even catch on as a #3 in San Fran.....Oh boy....

ServoBillieves
08-28-2014, 01:19 PM
What's that say about our team, LOL. Our #1 WR can't even catch on as a #3 in San Fran.....Oh boy....

Honest question? With what we saw between EJ and Stevie last year... Would Stevie even be a top 2 on this team now? Sammy, Woods, and Williams have all developed "chemistry" (aka being near where EJ lobs the ball) with EJ, and IMHO are all more talented than Stevie. Throw in Hogan and I think he'd be fighting for a roster spot.

That being said, knowing he's been our #1 for 3 or so years is... oi.

Mr. Pink
08-28-2014, 01:47 PM
This should really surprise no one.

At least no one jumped on the "Oh my God, can you imagine how good Stevie will be with a real QB" bandwagon like people did with Lee Evans.

When you're pretty much the only option in the passing game, you're gonna put up big numbers regardless of who is throwing the football.

Ed
08-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Stevie had three consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons despite mediocre qb play. It sounds like a qb problem more than a Stevie problem. Completing 58% of your passes and averaging 200 yds/game like Kaepernick did last season isn't exactly lighting it up. Can anyone honestly picture a qb like Tom Brady struggling to connect with Stevie Johnson?

Mr. Pink
08-28-2014, 01:52 PM
And I stand corrected within minutes :rofl:

swiper
08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
I honestly feel like Chan Gailey may have cursed Johnson. He unpredictability is going to make it tough for him to catch on with other teams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/colin-kaepernick-still-trying-to-figure-stevie-johnson-out/

Chan didn't. Chan helped him like he helped Spiller.

IT was EJ Manuel that cursed him. And frick & frack, HC/OC, that run things now.

swiper
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Stevie had three consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons despite mediocre qb play. It sounds like a qb problem more than a Stevie problem. Completing 58% of your passes and averaging 200 yds/game like Kaepernick did last season isn't exactly lighting it up. Can anyone honestly picture a qb like Tom Brady struggling to connect with Stevie Johnson?

No. In fact, the thought is frightening.

Night Train
08-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Our #1 WR can't even catch on as a #3 in San Fran.....Oh boy....

2012 called. You don't have a dial tone anymore...

The Jokeman
08-28-2014, 05:14 PM

At least no one jumped on the "Oh my God, can you imagine how good Stevie will be with a real QB" bandwagon like people did with Lee Evans.

When you're pretty much the only option in the passing game, you're gonna put up big numbers regardless of who is throwing the football.

Colin Kaepernick is a good QB? While I like him as much as anybody I wouldn't define him as a good QB but a good athlete playing the QB position.

Mace
08-28-2014, 06:05 PM
The better part of Johnson's problem is what makes him most successful, his improv style. Takes adapting to and isn't encouraged by most disciplined offenses. The Bills could afford to let him do his own thing out there a few years. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Kaepernick, with that rocket arm, gets used to him.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I wonder if the issue is having Johnson as the 3rd or 4th read. Maybe when Johnson is the #1 guy, the QB is often watching his area first, and would thus be able to see and react to what he does? But as the 3rd or 4th option, the QB would have to scan and find him and having an improv wideout running his option routes might make that difficult. Not that SF should make Johnson the #1 option, but I wonder if that's the source of his success here and struggle there.

chernobylwraiths
08-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Well, Stevie still does not have a real QB.

Mace
08-28-2014, 08:30 PM

You have a mean streak, Wraiths.

OpIv37
08-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I took a lot of **** on this board for criticizing Stevie....

Now the Bills decided it was worth 2 first round draft picks to replace him with a rookie and he can't get going on a good team with a decent QB.

Maybe the next time I criticize a player on the Bills, people will judge my post on its merits instead of just having a knee-jerk "you're a negative nancy!" reaction. And maybe I'll simultaneously win the lottery and get struck by lightning.

Skooby
08-28-2014, 09:29 PM
I took a lot of **** on this board for criticizing Stevie....

Now the Bills decided it was worth 2 first round draft picks to replace him with a rookie and he can't get going on a good team with a decent QB.

Maybe the next time I criticize a player on the Bills, people will judge my post on its merits instead of just having a knee-jerk "you're a negative nancy!" reaction. And maybe I'll simultaneously win the lottery and get struck by lightning.

He's superior conventional talent that will overpower the opponents, between deep breathes.

OpIv37
08-28-2014, 09:33 PM
He's superior conventional talent that will overpower the opponents, between deep breathes.

****in A, man- how many brews did you drink during the game?

Skooby
08-28-2014, 09:48 PM
****in A, man- how many brews did you drink during the game?

It's this Maker's Mark, there's wax everywhere & I can't find the caps.

OpIv37
08-28-2014, 09:51 PM
It's this Maker's Mark, there's wax everywhere & I can't find the caps.

Don't get me wrong- I've had a few myself. Yet, I'm still coherent enough to know that your post was incoherent.

I'm drinking rum now, but it'll be a good weekend because I lucked into a fifth of Jameson on sale for $18.

Mace
08-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Maybe the next time I criticize a player on the Bills, people will judge my post on its merits instead of just having a knee-jerk

I almost never judge posts on their merits and never expect people to apply merits people judged meself by to myselfs merits. I'll have another beer.

Mr. Pink
08-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Colin Kaepernick is a good QB? While I like him as much as anybody I wouldn't define him as a good QB but a good athlete playing the QB position.

Kaep is closer to a real or good QB than anything this team has had post Bledsoe.

Throwing for 3200 yards with 21 TDs and 8 INTs while averaging 7.7ypa is nothing to sneeze at.

But I know, I know...running QBs are a fad and no one can win with them.