PDA

View Full Version : Can we take a break from the doom and gloom

DesertFox24
08-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Look preseason is over we have 10 days to watch the bills game, can we all just move on from the preseason. Plenty of great teams look like garbage in the preseason and plenty of crap teams look awesome in the preseason.

Lets just wait till week one before we start saying anything at all about how bad or how good this or that will be.

Sorry for being a debby downer I am over 30 and just tired of this whinning and complaining about stuff that at this point does not matter at all, and to be perfectly honest there is no way to gauge anything from the preseason HISTORY HAS PROVEN THIS.

better days
08-29-2014, 10:06 AM
I am looking forward to seeing who the Bills pick up from other teams cuts.

ServoBillieves
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
As much as I agree, I think the sense of deflation is around us. After 14 years of not fielding a contender, we as Bills fans expect greatness, or at least the aptitude to put the ball in the end zone ONCE in the preseason.

Until the stats count, I hold my breath, but there is 0 confidence from fans in this teams ability heading on the road to Chicago in Week 1. Does preseason mean anything? Not in the slightest, but we deserve better.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Plenty of great teams look like garbage in the preseason and plenty of crap teams look awesome in the preseason.

This isn't the Kelly Era Bills.

This team hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years and this preseason they gave us no indication that they would be even better than 6-10 from last year.

Enjoy the Top 3 pick next year Cleveland.

OpIv37
08-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Look preseason is over we have 10 days to watch the bills game, can we all just move on from the preseason. Plenty of great teams look like garbage in the preseason and plenty of crap teams look awesome in the preseason.

Lets just wait till week one before we start saying anything at all about how bad or how good this or that will be.

Sorry for being a debby downer I am over 30 and just tired of this whinning and complaining about stuff that at this point does not matter at all, and to be perfectly honest there is no way to gauge anything from the preseason HISTORY HAS PROVEN THIS.

Actually history has proven the opposite. For the last 14 years, this team has shown glaring holes in preseason that turned out to be glaring holes in the regular season.

Meathead
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
i absolutely refuse to ignore that the bills have looked horrible this summer until one millisecond after opening kickoff when i will magically remember that preseason is meaningless just like i do every year but still never manage to recall

Novacane
08-29-2014, 10:29 AM
I can wait till after the Bears game to start *****ing but you can see the writing on the wall.

Fletch
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Actually history has proven the opposite. For the last 14 years, this team has shown glaring holes in preseason that turned out to be glaring holes in the regular season.

Not only that, but the team really hasn't changed that much from last season to this one, and losing Byrd and Alonso aren't going to be made up for by Spikes.

The media's talking about how well the D played yesterday. LOL Did they bother to notice that Detroit didn't even bother fielding their 1st-team O? What, are they ***** kidding me.

Exactly. But at least Marrone's content not to have shown anyone our glaring holes, so we'll have the element of surprise working for us.

Also, Manuel's been "saved" for the season. What a relief that is.

Fletch
08-29-2014, 10:32 AM
I also am not seeing the hype on Watkins. Even before he got hurt he was very unimpressive in preseason. Now he's hurt.

At least that will be a nice excuse for him and the team and those that think that the move to acquire him was a good one.

Historian
08-29-2014, 10:36 AM
We've never won in Chicago...

Homegrown
08-29-2014, 11:02 AM
"That doom and gloom stuff ain't going to cut it with me, I never think doom and gloom and will never, ever, ever think doom and gloom. Next question."

- Gregg Williams, after a 46-26 loss to Indy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bills-beaten-beaten-up-1.299295

DesertFox24
08-29-2014, 12:16 PM

The history I was referring to is the history of all 32 teams.

I acknowledge that the bills past has been a problem and a very large reason for why people are all doom and gloom, but until 1300 7 September 2014 it means absolutely nothing.

That being said if the bills suck in the season then people need to ask about why they suck and were so vanilla in the preseason when they could have worked on their stuff, but if by some miracle they are a good team then it means nothing.

OpIv37
08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
The history I was referring to is the history of all 32 teams.

I acknowledge that the bills past has been a problem and a very large reason for why people are all doom and gloom, but until 1300 7 September 2014 it means absolutely nothing.

That being said if the bills suck in the season then people need to ask about why they suck and were so vanilla in the preseason when they could have worked on their stuff, but if by some miracle they are a good team then it means nothing.
I think the history you are referring to is skewed because you are focusing on results. Yes, many teams that lost all their preseason games did well, and many teams that won all their preseason games did poorh.

But the results aren't what matters. It's how the starters played. There are much fewer examples of starters struggling in the preseason only to do well when the season starts, and most of those date back to the pre-free agency days when teams would only lose one or two starters in the off-season.

bleve
08-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Want to take a break from doom and gloom?

Log out.

There isn't going to be a Bills message Board anywhere that isn't doom and gloom. It's the general nature of the beast. People witness a train wreck, they'll want to vent their frustrations.

Enjoy the long weekend, and don't think about the Bills until at least Thursday.

That's the only way I can stay positive - by not reading about how bad this team is. The negativism is ubiquitous.

DynaPaul
08-29-2014, 12:25 PM
The last 14 years have been nothing but doom and gloom and I don't see the clouds parting in the sky just yet. What did we do to become so cursed by the NFL gods?

Turf
08-29-2014, 12:41 PM
I just want to see a QB that can deliver a pass. I thought Lewis had better arm strength and accuracy than Manual, then he lays an egg in preseason.
I can start the season clean but its hard when you see last year shaping up all over again.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-29-2014, 12:43 PM

The hilite films from the early nineties are only an hour or so a piece and as such even if we had the entire late eighties and nineties, the gloom would only abate for about 12 hours.

stuckincincy
08-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I just want to see a QB that can deliver a pass. I thought Lewis had better arm strength and accuracy than Manual, then he lays an egg in preseason.
I can start the season clean but its hard when you see last year shaping up all over again.

I think Lewis dogged it to get another gig.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Seriously, want less doom and gloom? Give us wins and prove that the team has been holding off on keeping the ball and scoring in the redzone.

stuckincincy
08-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Orson Charles?

chris66
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM

History has also shown that the Bills do carry a crappy preseason over to a crappy regular season as well

chris66
08-29-2014, 01:04 PM
I can start the season clean but its hard when you see last year shaping up all over again.There are plenty of them. Unfortunately none play for the Bills

Mr. Pink
08-29-2014, 01:36 PM

You know what history has also proven? This team has a horrible QB and a horrible OC.

Or did suddenly in the offseason did EJ become great and is just hiding it? Did Hackett become a genius over the offseason and hid it in preseason too?

OpIv37
08-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Oh, and as far as taking a break from the doom and gloom:

I don't know how to take a break from reality. The doom and gloom is a direct result of the lack of performance on the field. It will go away when the team performs- if it doesn't, then you'll have a right to complain.

BuffaloRedleg
08-29-2014, 05:44 PM
This year feels very similar to that year we tried to do the no-huddle offense with Trent Edwards.

The preseason was an absolute disaster and foreshadowed an abortion of a season.

Sadface.

cookie G
08-29-2014, 06:24 PM
This year feels very similar to that year we tried to do the no-huddle offense with Trent Edwards.

The preseason was an absolute disaster and foreshadowed an abortion of a season.

Sadface.

Mmmhmm...that year we got TO and we were going to go balls to the wall. THE GREATEST SHOW ON SNOW!!!!

And then...

dink
dink
dunk
dunk

punt
punt
punt
punt

This year we got the incredible rookie WR with unlimited talent and the most talented WR corps in a number of years

dink
dink
misfire
dunk

punt
punt
punt
punt

I don't mind deja vu if it involves really good sex, but this kind of deja vu I can do without.

sudzy
08-29-2014, 07:15 PM
When this team gets a GOOD QB, you'll get your break from doom and gloom.

DesertFox24
08-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Posters,

When I first joined this board I really appreciate the insight into the local coverage of the bills as I live in Nevada. This board was the anti BBMB.com as it was filled with football fans that actually talked football Xs and Os. Unfortunately this board has become just as bad as BBMB.com. I have no idea if it has to do with the 14 years of suck (which is very frustrating but never this bad), or the combination of impatience and giving up next years first which could be a high pick.

That being said I wish all of you the best in your personal and professional life as I am taking a sabbatical from reading or posting. The constant negativity is just bothersome to even see. Please heed my advice the bills are not worth all this pain and frustration, enjoy watching football and let it go right after the game and hang out with the family and friends win or lose. For too long I used to let the bills ruin or make my whole week, and last year I said enough and it was great.

I just want to talk football Xs and Os, college football players, and NFL free agents.

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Didn't the 49ers first team offense only score something like 3 points all preseason?

swiper
08-30-2014, 05:27 AM

The Bills have conditioned you to this. Fans of good teams look forward to seeing which sad-sack teams pick up their cast-offs.

It's what happens when you root for a perpetual loser.

DynaPaul
08-30-2014, 05:50 AM
See ya DesertFox24. I think many of us care too much to let it go and blind ourselves with homerism. After 14 years of a circus you're not going to see many happy threads because each season has been the same disappointment. That being said we finally did sign a real QB today so there's a plus.

Dr. Who
08-30-2014, 03:46 PM
This isn't the Kelly Era Bills.

This team hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years and this preseason they gave us no indication that they would be even better than 6-10 from last year.

Enjoy the Top 3 pick next year Cleveland.

So, that would be a "No?"

What a bunch of gutless know-it-alls.

OpIv37
08-30-2014, 05:13 PM
So, that would be a "No?"

What a bunch of gutless know-it-alls.
Yeah well the "gutless know-it-alls" have been right every year since this message board has existed. If you think he's wrong, give reasons instead of name-calling.

gebobs
08-31-2014, 09:59 AM

What you'll here if you start complaining after the Bears clobber the Bills:

One week! Why you can't tell anything from one week!

swiper
08-31-2014, 10:28 AM
What you'll here if you start complaining after the Bears clobber the Bills:

One week! Why you can't tell anything from one week!

"Manuel's progressing! He made three passes over 10 yards instead of only two!"

gebobs
08-31-2014, 02:10 PM
"Manuel's progressing! He made three passes over 10 yards instead of only two!"

Who would be the worse starter? Orton who has only a week to learn the playbook? Or Manuel who has had over a year and still doesn't get it?

BillsOverDolphins
08-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Who would be the worse starter? Orton who has only a week to learn the playbook? Or Manuel who has had over a year and still doesn't get it?

Is that a serious question?

gebobs
08-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Is that a serious question?

In that it has an obvious answer? I guess not.