PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign Kyle Orton

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 57s

The #Bills have agreed to a one-year contract with veteran QB Kyle Orton, according to a source. Orton will backup EJ Manuel.

Buffalogic
08-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Finally. Thanks for reading my posts Whaley

Mike
08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Best QB on the roster by a mile.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Holy crap, I'm shocked.

Good signing.

coastal
08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Name him the starter.

now.

Mace
08-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Holy crap, I'm shocked.

You and me both.

I never thought I'd get excited about Kyle Orton.

SpikedLemonade
08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
It should ensure we get to 6-10.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2014, 08:58 PM
You and me both.

I never thought I'd get excited about Kyle Orton.

How early in the home opener vs Miami do the Orton chants start?

How long of a leash is EJ gonna have?

If EJ gets hurt does he ever see the field again?

Those are the main 3 reasons I didn't think we'd go out and get a legit QB. Now that we have one, they're all 3 "distractions" this team is gonna have to face. Makes for some entertainment this season.

That being said, I think Orton could QB this team to the playoffs.

Meathead
five minutes later: breaking news, bills cut kyle orton

TacklingDummy
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Mr. Miyagi
Are you effing kidding me? Kyle-I've-lost-interest-in-football-Orton?

BLeonard
08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
...And this wasn't done 4 months ago why...?

-Bill

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I assume this is a joke.

Buffalogic
08-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Are you effing kidding me? Kyle-I've-lost-interest-in-football-Orton?
Well he's not coming back for the piles of backup QB money.

ServoBillieves
08-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Who was *****ing in every single thread about Orton? Are they happy now?

Buffalogic
08-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Who was *****ing in every single thread about Orton? Are they happy now?
Happier.

Meathead
has anybody ever seen kyle orton and jp losman in the same place at the same time?

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/j_p_losman_2010_01_03.jpghttp://trendingsearches.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ortonx-large.jpg

IlluminatusUIUC
I was actually at the game where he got yanked for Tim Tebow.

And I'm still excited to see him QB the Bills.

coastal
08-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Tim Tebow please

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:04 PM
How early in the home opener vs Miami do the Orton chants start?

How long of a leash is EJ gonna have?

If EJ gets hurt does he ever see the field again?

Those are the main 3 reasons I didn't think we'd go out and get a legit QB. Now that we have one, they're all 3 "distractions" this team is gonna have to face. Makes for some entertainment this season.

-I think they already started.

-choking short if he's inclined to choking.

-doubt it.

I'm shocked. They may have made the best salvage move they could have, of a wonder.

Mr. Pink
08-29-2014, 09:06 PM
I assume this is a joke.

You assume incorrectly.

Orton is a game manager who protects the football.

That's all this team needs to fight for the final playoff spot. That's all the needed last year for that matter.

This was a 6-10 team with some completely inept QBing. Average NFL QB play would have gotten this team 2 more victories last year...KC and Cle. After that who knows what happens to pick you up another victory or 2.

Meathead
08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
... or has anybody seen adam sandler with either of them?

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/photo_galleries/hot_pics_galleries/3589-dude-looks-like-a-lady/1287073156_adam-sandler-468.jpg

Novacane
08-29-2014, 09:09 PM
The only QB out there worth signing. I'll take it.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 09:10 PM
So EJ's accuracy is not good enough. He completed 58.8% of his passes last year. Orton's career is 58.4%.

But he will lead us to the promised land!!

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I assume this is a joke.

I half assume the whole thing is until I see it bright and shiny in major fonts.

jamze132
08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
You know it's pathetic when we as NFL fans are cheering on the signing of Kyle flippin' Orton...

Go Bills?!

BillsOverDolphins
08-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Oh thank Christ...just happy to have somebody on the roster who can complete a forward pass

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 09:14 PM
You assume incorrectly.

Orton is a game manager who protects the football.

That's all this team needs to fight for the final playoff spot. That's all the needed last year for that matter.

This was a 6-10 team with some completely inept QBing. Average NFL QB play would have gotten this team 2 more victories last year...KC and Cle. After that who knows what happens to pick you up another victory or 2.
Orton's career Int % is 2.6%. EJ last year was 2.9% as a rookie.

Your theory does not seem factual

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386215/article/report-kyle-orton-bills-agree-on-oneyear-contract

more cowbell
08-29-2014, 09:23 PM
He immediately becomes the best QB on the roster since Drew Bledsoe. How sad is that. Can't figure out why this team hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999...???

BillsOverDolphins
08-29-2014, 09:25 PM
He immediately becomes the best QB on the roster since Drew Bledsoe. How sad is that. Can't figure out why this team hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999...???

truthbombs

Mr. Pink
08-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Orton's career Int % is 2.6%. EJ last year was 2.9% as a rookie.

Your theory does not seem factual

The last year Orton was a full time starter his INT % was 1.8%

Even still, his TD% for career is higher, his INT% is lower, his rating is higher, his sack% is lower, his YPA is higher, his record as a starter is better. The only thing EJ has, for now, is completion percentage...and that he can run better. Although EJ isn't exactly a weapon running the football. Since you want to go by just stats.

Scumbag College
08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I am officially an Ortonholic. Or Orton Supportin'.

- - - Updated - - -

I am officially an Ortonholic. Or Orton Supportin'.

Meathead
08-29-2014, 09:31 PM
if we are going to do this right we need to think up witty mean nicknames for each qb and use them to insult each other for the next four months

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 09:32 PM
The last year Orton was a full time starter his INT % was 1.8%

Even still, his TD% for career is higher, his INT% is lower, his rating is higher, his sack% is lower, his YPA is higher, his record as a starter is better. The only thing EJ has, for now, is completion percentage...and that he can run better. Although EJ isn't exactly a weapon running the football. Since you want to go by just stats.

So Orton improved since his rookie year and EJ won't?

This is my biggest problem with the people who do nothing but ***** about Manuel. They don't want to compare him to what other guys did as rookies.It is ****ing stupid

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Orton 'ears a 'ooo. "we are here !" Woeful quality but so what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AVNyn5z1o

Turf
08-29-2014, 09:38 PM
five minutes later: breaking news, bills cut kyle orton

OK, that made me laugh.

Great move though.

Turf
08-29-2014, 09:39 PM
You know it's pathetic when we as NFL fans are cheering on the signing of Kyle flippin' Orton...

Go Bills?!

I've actually seen Kyle complete passes.

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:45 PM
2 years ! He's our rock of Gibraltar !

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham

Bills and Kyle Orton have agreed to terms on a two-year deal, pending physical.

Skooby
08-29-2014, 09:47 PM
How about Snortin' Orton ?? Bringing back old Buffalo radio names, priceless. (I know it's Norton but ...)

Mace
08-29-2014, 09:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BWhvIlFVE

BillsFanCupp38
08-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Are people really excited about Orton? Give me a break. He's a journeyman back up with skill set equivalent to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We are going to fall into this never ending cycle. We have a really bad qb and a below average qb will step in after an injury and play mediocre and we'll make him our franchise qb. Losman to Edwards. Edwards to Fitz. Manuel to Orton. When will this end? Woulda rather took a shot with Tebow. We know what we get with Orton and Tebow but at least I might be able to watch some entertaining football with Tebow.

Mace
08-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Are people really excited about Orton? Give me a break. He's a journeyman back up with skill set equivalent to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We are going to fall into this never ending cycle. We have a really bad qb and a below average qb will step in after an injury and play mediocre and we'll make him our franchise qb. Losman to Edwards. Edwards to Fitz. Manuel to Orton. When will this end? Woulda rather took a shot with Tebow. We know what we get with Orton and Tebow but at least I might be able to watch some entertaining football with Tebow.

You lost me at Tebow, who can't throw or read defenses or playbooks unfortunately.

Yeah, I admit I'm excited about Orton. His skill set is by no means equivalent to Fitzpatrick. It's just not.

That I'm excited about Orton is less a statement about Orton than it is about the QB situation before we signed him.

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:11 PM
He will be a solid back up. However he hasn't been with this team through OTA's, mini camps, or training camp. He doesn't know the playbook yet and he's never thrown to any of our receivers! How much of an impact do some of you think he could possibly have any time soon??

Again.... I like it a lot more if we could have some how pried him from Dallas two months ago. But he can't possibly help this team on the field at all in the immediate future.

Mace
08-29-2014, 10:14 PM
But he can't possibly help this team on the field at all in the immediate future.

I just can't agree. If Manuel goes down in week one, he'll do better than Lewis, Tuel, or Palmer even if he only knows 3 plays, if not taking us to 16-0.

DesertFox24
08-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Well if anything it is good to have a legit backup behind EJ. Kyle has started and played well in this league at times and can at least help EJ in the QB room.

Worst case scenario if EJ fails we have someone who can hold the fort down for a little while.

Hopefully for our sake it does not come to that and EJ progresses and plays well enough. He does not have to win the games himself he just needs to an Alex Smith this year and get better.

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:18 PM

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Well if anything it is good to have a legit backup behind EJ. Kyle has started and played well in this league at times and can at least help EJ in the QB room.

Worst case scenario if EJ fails we have someone who can hold the fort down for a little while.

Hopefully for our sake it does not come to that and EJ progresses and plays well enough. He does not have to win the games himself he just needs to an Alex Smith this year and get better.

Bingo!

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
I just can't agree. If Manuel goes down in week one, he'll do better than Lewis, Tuel, or Palmer even if he only knows 3 plays, if not taking us to 16-0.

Sure he might be better than the 3 afformentioned in a month from now, but right now the guy doesn't know anything about this team. Quarterbacks spend entire off seasons working on timing with receivers. He's never thrown a single ball to any of ours. He's never seen our playbook nor met our coaches. To think that he could come in and step right in and play well is completely unrealistic.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Tim Graham ‏<s>@</s>ByTimGraham (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham) <small class="time"> 22m (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/505559191751524353) </small> Two sources tell me Bills have been trying to sign Kyle Orton for months because Thad Lewis played so poorly in OTAs. Lewis never rallied.

Mace
08-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Sure he'll do better. But you can't expect much in a week. The guy has to learn everything about this team. Quarterbacks spend entire off seasons working on timing with receivers! It's completely unrealistic to think he can step in and have an immediate impact without knowing any of the players, coaches, or the play book. Now two months from now is a different story. But after week one? No way.....

Absolutely agree. There is one thing that comes to my mind though, and I have to mention it, because I oddly never see it with Bills QB's. It is a stupid thing, and if you can call me on it please do because it means I have missed a basic observation.

Orton will throw the ball out of bounds on a broken or ruined play. QB 101, get rid of it. Harms your completion percentage but is the right thing to do sometimes instead of taking the sack, trying to force it in coverage, or thinking to go mano a mano with a linebacker. It is a real small, basic thing, but maddening if you watch a lot of the Bills. It's a thing QB's do without much thought, and ours nearly never do.

He's not really the savior, but the position just improved over the long run with someone who knows QB 101, in my view.

Jry44
08-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Absolutely agree. There is one thing that comes to my mind though, and I have to mention it, because I oddly never see it with Bills QB's. It is a stupid thing, and if you can call me on it please do because it means I have missed a basic observation.

Orton will throw the ball out of bounds on a broken or ruined play. QB 101, get rid of it. Harms your completion percentage but is the right thing to do sometimes instead of taking the sack, trying to force it in coverage, or thinking to go mano a mano with a linebacker. It is a real small, basic thing, but maddening if you watch a lot of the Bills. It's a thing QB's do without much thought, and ours nearly never do.

He's not really the savior, but the position just improved over the long run with someone who knows QB 101, in my view.

I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Tim Graham ‏<s>@</s>ByTimGraham (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham) <small class="time"> 22m (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/505559191751524353) </small> Two sources tell me Bills have been trying to sign Kyle Orton for months because Thad Lewis played so poorly in OTAs. Lewis never rallied.

Tim Graham ‏<s>@</s>ByTimGraham (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham) <small class="time"> 22m (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/505559191751524353) Reportedly, the sticking point was that Buffalo insisted Orton change his name to "Williams" before they would sign him.</small>

Mace
08-29-2014, 10:51 PM
However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

Panic. I don't think Jordan Palmer is all that, but signing, playing, and cutting within 4 days or so was kind of silly.

Maybe it says something about where I am as a fan and what I presently think about the QB position, but I'm feeling a stable journeyman QB might be able to step in and give the same results in week one as we might get from the poorly groomed project guy, without having a clue. I might be real wrong about Manuel and Orton both, but it feels, to me, like a good time to panic and hope for least worse if it comes to that.

I just don't think there's a better least worse than Orton, and signing him makes me feel better. He's the best least worse we've had in a decade, and he agreed to be the best least worse here !

I admit my expectations are low.

Mace
08-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Tim Graham ‏<s>@</s>ByTimGraham (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham) <small class="time"> 22m (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/505559191751524353) Reportedly, the sticking point was that Buffalo insisted Orton change his name to "Williams" before they would sign him.</small>

Williams Orton would have been too delicate.

Woodman
08-30-2014, 12:01 AM
OK I'm ready let's get this party started lol.

Ingtar33
08-30-2014, 12:59 AM
it's sad when kyle orton looks GOOD compared to the QBs on your roster. Even knowing he'll know jack about the playbook i suspect he'll be no worse then EJ would be.

paladin warrior
08-30-2014, 01:07 AM
:dance:Good just for now:bf1:..I think next year draft 2015 and find it backup QB in 3rd or 4th round pick..

HHURRICANE
08-30-2014, 01:53 AM
This is the part where everyone stops *****ing. The Bills got a good backup. They needed one and they got one. Done.

If EJ plays poorly and Orton has to start that will suck for everyone. Hopefully Orton sits on the bench or comes in as a backup roll when needed.

BTW signing Palmer, stealing the Bears play book, is scummy but a pretty good move.

Bunion
08-30-2014, 02:28 AM
I'm trying to find Kyle Orton's stats on NFL.com, but it looks like he's been dropped from there list of 'Active' quarterbacks.

Skooby
08-30-2014, 03:47 AM
Orton new name is Williams Orton Williams (WOW), which ironically is what you'll say when you see him play.

swiper
08-30-2014, 04:24 AM

-Bill

Best post in the thread.

swiper
08-30-2014, 04:27 AM
So Orton improved since his rookie year and EJ won't?

This is my biggest problem with the people who do nothing but ***** about Manuel. They don't want to compare him to what other guys did as rookies.It is ****ing stupid

No it isn't. All you have to do is WATCH Manuel play. He has so many limitations. It's what wagoncircler has been saying all along. He has issues with things you can't teach.

YardRat
08-30-2014, 05:08 AM
At least he's better than Lewis.

Manuel/Orton/Tuel >>Manuel/Lewis/Tuel....so it's an upgrade, albeit a minor one.

swiper
08-30-2014, 05:19 AM
He's also better than Tuel and Manuel.

DynaPaul
08-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Praise the lord!

Historian
08-30-2014, 06:02 AM
"Lou...this is your chance to manage in the big leagues"

"I'll get back to you later....I got a guy coming in now for a set of radial tires."

-Major League

Fletch
08-30-2014, 06:12 AM
LOL

Novacane
08-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Yeah. Him and EJ having an inaccuracy contest would be really entertaining!

Fletch
08-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Well, I don't think that too many people think that Orton is the difference between another 6-10 team and a playoff team. First of all they're not going to sit Manuel, but at some point this season, likely sooner than later, it's going to become blatant to the team that Manuel's a bust. They're less willing to throw the towel in than fans and media are, especially since when out goes Manuel so too out goes Whaley's future.

At the same time, I do think that it may be the difference between football that's worth watching or not worth watching. I mean seriously, how many of us are really looking forward with anticipation to watching Manuel hack up the field.

If you ask me, the reason why this or another strong backup QB move wasn't made earlier it is because the team didn't want a QB controversy, so they wanted more unknown type of QBs in there than one like Orton who the fans are going to be chanting for sometime during our first home game.

coastal
08-30-2014, 06:31 AM
if we are going to do this right we need to think up witty mean nicknames for each qb and use them to insult each other for the next four months
You're so much smarter than the rest of us.

maybe you could evaluate how race affects the position?

or r u too busy wheeling around Love Canal?

Forward_Lateral
08-30-2014, 06:35 AM
I'm not overly excited, but I will say this. Orton has been successful as a starter in the past.

RedEyE
08-30-2014, 06:36 AM
The Bills didnt sign Orton to start and you're fooling yourself if you believe that. The same people were calling for Thad Lewis to be promoted to QB1. Where is he now? Teams just chomping at the bit for a piece of Lewis.

Your jagged little pill:

Marrone and Hackett are hanging their pro career hats on Manuel. If the Bills were seriously concerned about Manuel they would have done something more significant than Kyle Orton or Jordan Palmer. The draft would have looked much differnt or they would have been involved in a trade for a QB with a lot more upside. Orton's days are numbered. He' a journeyman at best. A quality back up in the event of injury.

It is blatantly obvious the move for Orton is because they are trying to shore up the back up QB position with vet experience.

Fletch
08-30-2014, 06:40 AM
The Bills didnt sign Orton to start and you're fooling yourself if you believe that. The same people were calling for Thad Lewis to be promoted to QB1. Where is he now? Teams just chomping at the bit for a piece of Lewis.

Your jagged little pill:

Marrone and Hackett are hanging their pro career hats on Manuel. If the Bills were seriously concerned about Manuel they would have done something more significant than Kyle Orton or Jordan Palmer. The draft would have looked much differnt or they would have been involved in a trade for a QB with a lot more upside. Orton's days are numbered. He' a journeyman at best. A quality back up in the event of injury.

It is blatantly obvious the move for Orton is because they are trying to shore up the back up QB position with vet experience.

Doesn't matter if they signed him to start, and I don't think that anyone disagrees with that. But that's not going to stop the fans from chanting for Orton after it becomes obvious that Manuel sucks and isn't improving nor ever will. It's going to be difficult to coach if after every offensive series fans start calling for the backup QB.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that a number of people here shop regularly at the Love Canal organic farmers market.

RedEyE
08-30-2014, 06:46 AM
You all want to support a QB that clearly has had his golden opportunity in the NFL and has already fallen on his face - instead of supporting the young guy that doesn't even have a full season under his hat and still has a lot to prove before ANYONE can determine he's a bust?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Great fans we have here.

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Life has been good to Orton.

In the past 4 years, he's only had to play in 13 games. Made money. DAL cut him, so he gets to keep several millions of signing cash.

Now he's here, with a team that seemingly will stick with Manuel come hell or high water.

You just can't beat clipboard cash.

JohnnyGold
08-30-2014, 07:06 AM
I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.

Because you're used to watching Bills football, that's why.

Winning teams just win. And winning players just win.

We like to sit here and talk about how complicated football is... "guys need a whole offseason, OTAs, training camp, 4 years in the league, the same coach, coordinator, breakfast cereal, etc. AND THEN, when all that is in place, they need to scale everything back for the preseason, can't tip our hand too early, gotta save everything for Chicago. Sure, EJ hasn't thrown the ball well all preseason, but that's just because all of the aforementioned stars have not perfectly aligned themselves. It doesn't matter if other QBs have looked good, EJ is only a second year player. BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, these issues are going to magically resolve themselves, and the Bills will start winning."

No.

Orton has a 35-35 record as a starter. That is better than any Bills QB since Kelly. Period. He can come in, win games, and do it immediately. He is the most talented QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Football is not a complicated sport. Learn the terminology, go out there and throw the ball around. I mean, have you ever met a professional football player? These guys aren't splitting the atom here.

Saying that Orton needs a month or two to "get up to speed" is like saying a new-hire at your job needs a month or two to "get up to speed" by reading the HR pamphlets on sexual harassment and PTO.

He WILL be the starter by week 4, possibly week 2 if EJ stinks it up in the opener, and allow me to be the first to say:

I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF HE STARTED AGAINST CHICAGO.

Typ0
08-30-2014, 07:06 AM
I don't think you are on with this. What might become apparent is Manual is taking a step backwards. That would not be abnormal and it won't put him in the bust category either. What will put him in the bust category is if he takes a step backwards and it gets into his head and turns him into a bust. That will be up to Manual.

But this is about the team as a whole. I like this move a lot. What it says to me is the staff is interested in winning...and before they made this move I was concerned they were more interested in Manual's success. There is a huge difference. Orton is a guy who should not even be in the league...but the reason is he brings game to the table and competes. He's no manning--his skill set is limited but he knows how to use what he has. We now have a QB on the roster who an opponent has to look at and understand he will beat them if they don't take him seriously. They actually got what they wanted I think ... because there is no QB controversy Orton is just now entering the locker room. If Manual can't start processing better in the first few weeks we will see Orton starting giving Manual a chance to step back and get his head together. Big time Wins all around for the Bills in signing Orton and it's the little victories that add up in an organization that eventually make the difference to translating onto the field. Way to go coach Marrone I know you have a staff of people there helping but you are making good decisions. Keep learning and moving forward please.

Well, I don't think that too many people think that Orton is the difference between another 6-10 team and a playoff team. First of all they're not going to sit Manuel, but at some point this season, likely sooner than later, it's going to become blatant to the team that Manuel's a bust. They're less willing to throw the towel in than fans and media are, especially since when out goes Manuel so too out goes Whaley's future.

At the same time, I do think that it may be the difference between football that's worth watching or not worth watching. I mean seriously, how many of us are really looking forward with anticipation to watching Manuel hack up the field.

If you ask me, the reason why this or another strong backup QB move wasn't made earlier it is because the team didn't want a QB controversy, so they wanted more unknown type of QBs in there than one like Orton who the fans are going to be chanting for sometime during our first home game.

sudzy
08-30-2014, 07:07 AM

-Bill

Because the Bills live in a place called denial (not a river in Egypt), where an inexperienced crap OC can turn 3 inexperienced crap QBs into NFL ready QBs in a training camp. POP, that's the sound of their bubble bursting.

Meathead
08-30-2014, 07:17 AM
You all want to support a QB that clearly has had his golden opportunity in the NFL and has already fallen on his face - instead of supporting the young guy that doesn't even have a full season under his hat and still has a lot to prove before ANYONE can determine he's a bust?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Great fans we have here.

really

irrational resistance. not just here tho, this is sort of a lesser human nature thing, and classic sports fan behavior. fortunately this is just about sports entertainment. Unfortunately ppl often do this with more important and impactful things like hyper partisan politics

kyle freakin orton. on the roster fifteen seconds. over a young athletic high pick you knew was going to take at least two seasons to develop and quite possibly could arrive any time

yeah no, makes perfect sense

Meathead
08-30-2014, 07:30 AM
You're so much smarter than the rest of us.

maybe you could evaluate how race affects the position?

thats the awesome thing about living in america - if you disagree with something ive said then you are perfectly welcome to blow me

Meathead
08-30-2014, 07:33 AM
nice explanation typoh

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Best post in the thread.

Except for it being addressed already

RedEyE
08-30-2014, 08:04 AM
I don't think you are on with this. What might become apparent is Manual is taking a step backwards. That would not be abnormal and it won't put him in the bust category either. What will put him in the bust category is if he takes a step backwards and it gets into his head and turns him into a bust. That will be up to Manual.

But this is about the team as a whole. I like this move a lot. What it says to me is the staff is interested in winning...and before they made this move I was concerned they were more interested in Manual's success. There is a huge difference. Orton is a guy who should not even be in the league...but the reason is he brings game to the table and competes. He's no manning--his skill set is limited but he knows how to use what he has. We now have a QB on the roster who an opponent has to look at and understand he will beat them if they don't take him seriously. They actually got what they wanted I think ... because there is no QB controversy Orton is just now entering the locker room. If Manual can't start processing better in the first few weeks we will see Orton starting giving Manual a chance to step back and get his head together. Big time Wins all around for the Bills in signing Orton and it's the little victories that add up in an organization that eventually make the difference to translating onto the field. Way to go coach Marrone I know you have a staff of people there helping but you are making good decisions. Keep learning and moving forward please.

I can buy into with most of what you're saying here. I do disagree with your point about Manuel's regressions. What I see is a young player without the training wheels. No more basic plays, full playbook. This isnt something any player can just walk into and immediately succeed. Last year Manuel was still operating at a college level going through basic progressions. The offense is opening up more to him this year and it will be his failures now that can later lead to second opportunities. I give the kid the season before kicking him out the door.

Historian
08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
I always saw Orton as a Jeff Hostetler type who could be a decent game manager with a good defense backing him up, which is why I see him fitting inhere.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see him starting by week 7.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Panic. I don't think Jordan Palmer is all that, but signing, playing, and cutting within 4 days or so was kind of silly.

Maybe it says something about where I am as a fan and what I presently think about the QB position, but I'm feeling a stable journeyman QB might be able to step in and give the same results in week one as we might get from the poorly groomed project guy, without having a clue. I might be real wrong about Manuel and Orton both, but it feels, to me, like a good time to panic and hope for least worse if it comes to that.

I just don't think there's a better least worse than Orton, and signing him makes me feel better. He's the best least worse we've had in a decade, and he agreed to be the best least worse here !

I admit my expectations are low.

What is there to panic about? It's not like this team is in danger of slipping from the ranks of a playoff contender. I would probably panic if this team was a playoff threat with chances of winning the division. But since we're not, I feel like there is nothing to panic over. The only way we can go is upwards at this point.

Again, I agree that it is nice to have a journeyman QB that can at the very least manage a game for you is a nice luxury to have, but I don't think he's going to be much better than what EJ Manual will give is in the short term. Expecting that would be like me walking into a new job tomorrow and being expected to perform at the level I do my current job with on the very first day without knowing rules or how the company operates. I agree that Jordan Palmer wasn't the kind of signing we needed; and you could see him being released coming from a mile away. However there are reports that the Bills have been after Orton since he was released from the Cowboys just before training camp. Also too with Orton.... lets not forget that he was benched for Tim Tebow at one time....

Thurmal
08-30-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm tired of hearing about EJ's development and how he the light is supposedly going to come on for him. He is a guy who has been playing QB at a high level for years and still cannot throw an accurate pass. That isn't teachable.

The hell with giving him a season to "figure it out." Fourteen years without a playoff birth; I'm not stoked about guaranteeing a 15th for the 4% chance Manuel actually turns out well. Give Manuel Week One and, when he is awful and the Bills get their asses kicked, start Orton for the home opener.

Turf
08-30-2014, 08:34 AM

We like to sit here and talk about how complicated football is... "guys need a whole offseason, OTAs, training camp, 4 years in the league, the same coach, coordinator, breakfast cereal, etc. AND THEN, when all that is in place, they need to scale everything back for the preseason, can't tip our hand too early, gotta save everything for Chicago. Sure, EJ hasn't thrown the ball well all preseason, but that's just because all of the aforementioned stars have not perfectly aligned themselves. It doesn't matter if other QBs have looked good, EJ is only a second year player. BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, these issues are going to magically resolve themselves, and the Bills will start winning."

No.

Orton has a 35-35 record as a starter. That is better than any Bills QB since Kelly. Period. He can come in, win games, and do it immediately. He is the most talented QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Football is not a complicated sport. Learn the terminology, go out there and throw the ball around. I mean, have you ever met a professional football player? These guys aren't splitting the atom here.

Saying that Orton needs a month or two to "get up to speed" is like saying a new-hire at your job needs a month or two to "get up to speed" by reading the HR pamphlets on sexual harassment and PTO.

He WILL be the starter by week 4, possibly week 2 if EJ stinks it up in the opener, and allow me to be the first to say:

Certainly an entertaining post Johnny, but we all know he isn't starting against Chicago. And if EJ goes down, I won't say when EJ goes down, he's probably a better short term option.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 08:36 AM

No.

This whole, entire thing couldn't possibly be more wrong.

This guy was beaten out by TIM TEBOW!

There is just no way to realistically expect a guy to come in a grasp the entire playbook and be comfortable enough with his receivers in ONE WEEK to the point to where he will be comfortable in not only playing, but playing at a decent level. Week one?? REALLY??? Prepare to be surprised, because the only way that happens is if EJ slips on the Kevin Kolb mat and hurts his knee again.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Because the Bills live in a place called denial (not a river in Egypt), where an inexperienced crap OC can turn 3 inexperienced crap QBs into NFL ready QBs in a training camp. POP, that's the sound of their bubble bursting.

Or, it's because Kyle Orton was under contract with another team....

But that couldn't possibly be why this move wasn't made 4 months ago now, could it?

JohnnyGold
08-30-2014, 08:58 AM
This whole, entire thing couldn't possibly be more wrong.

This guy was beaten out by TIM TEBOW!

There is just no way to realistically expect a guy to come in a grasp the entire playbook and be comfortable enough with his receivers in ONE WEEK to the point to where he will be comfortable in not only playing, but playing at a decent level. Week one?? REALLY??? Prepare to be surprised, because the only way that happens is if EJ slips on the Kevin Kolb mat and hurts his knee again.

Since Jim Kelly retired following the Wild Card loss to Jacksonville, the Buffalo Bills have had any number of starting quarterbacks. Only Holcomb (4-4) and Flutie (21-9) have played .500 ball or better. Orton's career record is 35-35.

With 35 career victories, that gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any QB we've had since Bledsoe... hell, it gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any random 3 or 4 qbs that have started since Kelly left COMBINED have as NFL starters.

This is the most talent we've had at the position since we traded for Bledsoe. Today is the happiest I've been as a Bills fan in years--and yes, that says more about the Bills than me, but so be it. There's a reason we haven't had a shot at the playoffs since Bledsoe was here, and it's QB play. With Orton under center, and the weapons we have, combined with our D, I just went from thinking 2-14, to thinking 9-7 or 10-6.

The sooner Orton starts, the better. Bring out the rubber mats that did in Kolb, or hide the playbook ala Billie Joe Hobart--either way, get Orton on the field.

Suddenly our wideouts look better, our running game seems incredibly dangerous, and our offensive line looks "young and learning how to gel".

Saddest people this morning: Browns fans.

better days
08-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.

Like most of the CRAP Tim Graham puts out.

Rodack & Graham, two of the WORST reporters in the entire NFL covering the Bills.

better days
08-30-2014, 09:23 AM
No it isn't. All you have to do is WATCH Manuel play. He has so many limitations. It's what wagoncircler has been saying all along. He has issues with things you can't teach.

Aside from being inconsistent with his accuracy, what are these many limitations you see in Manuel?

Things you can't teach: physical tools- EJ has those.

EJ also has leadership ability & a strong work ethic, which is the reason I think he will be successful given time.

Typ0
08-30-2014, 09:25 AM
I can buy into with most of what you're saying here. I do disagree with your point about Manuel's regressions. What I see is a young player without the training wheels. No more basic plays, full playbook. This isnt something any player can just walk into and immediately succeed. Last year Manuel was still operating at a college level going through basic progressions. The offense is opening up more to him this year and it will be his failures now that can later lead to second opportunities. I give the kid the season before kicking him out the door.

I agree about working with Manual properly. I'm just saying that he could take a step backwards. We may have been witnessing it in camp. He isn't going to get much more of a basic playbook than was used in pre season right? When they start playing the games it may emerge that he's going to struggle for a bit and this move gives us a much better option in that situation. I also am speaking to the backlash we are going to see if he struggles and Orton plays. That does not necessarily indicate Manual is a bust. If everyone does their jobs properly this should be a best of both worlds type of move ... a type of move the team has been very unwilling to make for years. Kudos!

Typ0
08-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Aside from being inconsistent with his accuracy, what are these many limitations you see in Manuel?

EJ also has leadership ability & a strong work ethic, which is the reason I think he will be successful given time.

I agree with that. His issue seems to be in processing. That would indicate he can turn it around. But on what time frame? That is the critical question and how much are you going to throw the entire team to the wolves for one players time frame of development?

Jaybird
08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
You can't fix accuracy. I know everyone says you adjust a qb footwork and it will fix it, but I don't believe that is the case. Eli manning is a perfect example. He's not accurate and that's why will never be elite.

Typ0
08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
You can't fix accuracy. I know everyone says you adjust a qb footwork and it will fix it, but I don't believe that is the case. Eli manning is a perfect example. He's not accurate and that's why will never be elite.

You can't hold your standards at elitism though it's too hard to find. If I remember correctly Manning smoked the Patriots for their only loss of the season in the Super Bowl.

better days
08-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Well, Eli has won TWO Super Bowls. I would take that over an accurate QB that fails to win the BIG ONE, like Eli's ELITE brother.

better days
08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
I agree with that. His issue seems to be in processing. That would indicate he can turn it around. But on what time frame? That is the critical question and how much are you going to throw the entire team to the wolves for one players time frame of development?

Well, this year at least, that is a given.

After the team is sold?

JoeMama
08-30-2014, 10:04 AM
I not only endorse this signing, but I also give it a **** YEAH!

The Neckbeard put together some respectable seasons in Denver in terms of yardage and TD/INT ratio.

More importantly, he brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the questionable state of our QB situation.

And he can spend a few weeks learning the offense while we tick off the clock until EJ has another knee go gimpy.

Win/win signing.

+1

better days
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I not only endorse this signing, but I also give it a **** YEAH!

The Neckbeard put together some respectable seasons in Denver in terms of yardage and TD/INT ratio.

More importantly, he brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the questionable state of our QB situation.

And he can spend a few weeks learning the offense while we tick off the clock until EJ has another knee go gimpy.

Win/win signing.

+1

Well, as has been pointed out before, Orton lost the starting job in Denver to Tebow who got the Broncos to the playoffs.

In his one start with Dallas last year, Orton threw two TD's & two INT's.

He is not all that, but he is better than Thad or Jordan.

I think our best hope is that EJ stays healthy & continues to improve.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Since Jim Kelly retired following the Wild Card loss to Jacksonville, the Buffalo Bills have had any number of starting quarterbacks. Only Holcomb (4-4) and Flutie (21-9) have played .500 ball or better. Orton's career record is 35-35.

With 35 career victories, that gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any QB we've had since Bledsoe... hell, it gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any random 3 or 4 qbs that have started since Kelly left COMBINED have as NFL starters.

This is the most talent we've had at the position since we traded for Bledsoe. Today is the happiest I've been as a Bills fan in years--and yes, that says more about the Bills than me, but so be it. There's a reason we haven't had a shot at the playoffs since Bledsoe was here, and it's QB play. With Orton under center, and the weapons we have, combined with our D, I just went from thinking 2-14, to thinking 9-7 or 10-6.

The sooner Orton starts, the better. Bring out the rubber mats that did in Kolb, or hide the playbook ala Billie Joe Hobart--either way, get Orton on the field.

Suddenly our wideouts look better, our running game seems incredibly dangerous, and our offensive line looks "young and learning how to gel".

Saddest people this morning: Browns fans.

I understand the frustrations associated with this team being a losing organization for almost a decade and a half, however I think your expectations for what Kyle Orton will do for this team are completely over blown. No wonder so many are left so disappointed with expectations like this....

Yes, he is a solid veteran back up. However he is not going to be a guy that will help us immediately because as much as you want to deny it, yes, he DOES need to learn our system. Not ALL offensive terminology is universal. It is much easier for any other position on the offense to come in a integrate with the offense in a fairly short amount of time because they only have to know the terms associated with their position. A QB has to know the terminology associated with every position! he will not get that completely down in a week. And yes, he needs to establish a comfort level and timing with his receivers.

How many quarterbacks were signed by a team a week before the start of a season and then started week one while going on to have a good season?

Jry44
08-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.

Like most of the CRAP Tim Graham puts out.

Rodack & Graham, two of the WORST reporters in the entire NFL covering the Bills.

This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 10:31 AM

The guy is a two time super bowl MVP. He's doing something right.....

better days
08-30-2014, 10:36 AM
This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.

If Graham had said the Bills were trying to TRADE for Orton, your argument might hold water, but it did not.

It said they were trying to SIGN him.............while he was under contract with the Cowboys.

IMO, Joe Buscalgia is the only decent reporter the Bills have.

Jry44
08-30-2014, 11:20 AM
If Graham had said the Bills were trying to TRADE for Orton, your argument might hold water, but it did not.

It said they were trying to SIGN him.............while he was under contract with the Cowboys.

IMO, Joe Buscalgia is the only decent reporter the Bills have.

Wait.... we're arguing?

I said trade for and SIGN him. Orton obviously wants to be a starting QB in this league again. It was apparent four months ago, and still is apparent now but not as firmly, that EJ is the starter here. After seeing EJ struggle in the preseason maybe Orton saw this as a better opportunity to gain a starting job at this juncture than he did four months ago, thus negating a trade and willingness to sign a contract extension here.

JoeMama
08-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Well, as has been pointed out before, Orton lost the starting job in Denver to Tebow who got the Broncos to the playoffs.

In his one start with Dallas last year, Orton threw two TD's & two INT's.

He is not all that, but he is better than Thad or Jordan.

I think our best hope is that EJ stays healthy & continues to improve.

Look, it's irrelevant if you think Manuel is better than Orton.

At this point, 99% of Bills fans are sick of you prattling on & on about EJ's brilliant upside while he continues to make zero progress -- if not outright regression.

Your enthusiasm for EJ is cute and we all appreciate your ability to remain so positive in light of such an overwhelming body of evidence that he's not a good quarterback.

Good for you! It's easy to be negative as a Bills fan. It's much harder to be positive because it takes such enormous blinders to do so.

Orton is an established vet who brings a moderate level of competence to this roster.

He's somebody we need, we got him, and that's what matters.

And hey, if down the road he sees some playing time, I'm interested to see what he does.

Now, while with the big boys are talking football, maybe you should go lie down in bed and gaze longingly at the poster of EJ you have taped to the ceiling. At least in the privacy in of your own home, your fantasies about EJ won't seem so bizarre.

BLeonard
08-30-2014, 11:24 AM

I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill

Typ0
08-30-2014, 11:28 AM
How do you know they haven't been trying to get him in though? He might have been holding out on making a decision. We are only talking about a few weeks here. I agree they should have grabbed him but find it difficult to make the jump to assumptions why they didn't. Were I to make assumptions I would say the issues were:

1) Money
2) Orton wants to play and somewhere a QB is going down ....

There are a lot of clubs were their QB to get injured in the last two weeks Orton is looking at starting 16 games. This week he's looking at not starting the season anywhere if he doesn't come on board. Do you see the issues here for both sides?

I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill

BLeonard
08-30-2014, 11:42 AM
How do you know they haven't been trying to get him in though? He might have been holding out on making a decision. We are only talking about a few weeks here. I agree they should have grabbed him but find it difficult to make the jump to assumptions why they didn't. Were I to make assumptions I would say the issues were:

1) Money

There are a lot of clubs were their QB to get injured in the last two weeks Orton is looking at starting 16 games. This week he's looking at not starting the season anywhere if he doesn't come on board. Do you see the issues here for both sides?

No doubt, valid points.

Personally, I doubt the issue was money... I don't see the Bills' offer being much different, if any different than it would have been a month ago.

Also, had Orton been in camp, we might have had a real QB competition with Manuel for the starting spot, instead of the whole "backup QB competition" we were told we got.

As it stands, Orton doesn't really have a chance to start 16 games... Had he signed in July, that might have been a possibility.

-Bill

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 11:47 AM

1) Money

I thought he was going to retire. And why not? Several years' of NFL qb pay, signing bonuses, the pay-out by DAL...along with a solid gold NFL pension. Not to mention no longer having to expose the body to potential grievous bodily harm on the playing field.

He has only been is 13 games the past 4 seasons.

Enter BUF, committed to Manuel. If things turn out well, Orton gets a pile of loot for being a clipboard jockey. What a nice gig.

better days
08-30-2014, 11:51 AM

At this point, 99% of Bills fans are sick of you prattling on & on about EJ's brilliant upside while he continues to make zero progress -- if not outright regression.

Your enthusiasm for EJ is cute and we all appreciate your ability to remain so positive in light of such an overwhelming body of evidence that he's not a good quarterback.

Good for you! It's easy to be negative as a Bills fan. It's much harder to be positive because it takes such enormous blinders to do so.

Orton is an established vet who brings a moderate level of competence to this roster.

And hey, if down the road he sees some playing time, I'm interested to see what he does.

Now, while with the big boys are talking football, maybe you should go lie down in bed and gaze longingly at the poster of EJ you have taped to the ceiling. At least in the privacy in of your own home, your fantasies about EJ won't seem so bizarre.

Well, you ended this post sounding like a douche.

I said, Orton is a better back up than Thad or Jordan, but he has already PROVEN he is NOT an NFL Starting QB.

BertSquirtgum
08-30-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/kyle-orton.jpeg

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 12:03 PM
http://www.gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/kyle-orton.jpeg

He has the look of a born mentor.

JoeMama
08-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Well, you ended this post sounding like a douche.

I said, Orton is a better back up than Thad or Jordan, but he has already PROVEN he is NOT an NFL Starting QB.

You pull the douche card a lot these days.

I don't blame you. I'd be *****ly and defensive too if I spent the last year and a half of my life militantly positioning myself as the world's biggest EJ fan/apologist only to see it blow up in my face.

My condolences for your lack of credibility on anything Bills related.

But keep shooting for the stars, one day you'll get something right!

swiper
08-30-2014, 12:32 PM

+1

- - - Updated - - -

I don't blame you. I'd be *****ly and defensive too if I spent the last year and a half of my life militantly positioning myself as the world's biggest EJ fan/apologist only to see it blow up in my face.

Yeah. Then in other threads he claims he never does that.

swiper
08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
When Orton wins a few games. The blinders will come off.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 12:44 PM
When Orton wins a few games. The blinders will come off.

I like Orton and like the signing but being a Bills fan I'm hoping he doesn't see the field much this year because if he doesn't it means good things for are other QB (and no, I don't mean Tuel).

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 12:50 PM

-Bill
Maybe Orton didn't feel he want to take part in camp and/or wants to be just the backup QB and not part of another QB controversy that might have transpired if he signed earlier? Maybe it wasn't a lack of ineptness of the organization and perhaps a choice by Orton not to sign until now? We don't know but the truth is Orton is exactly what most here wanted in a backup QB and now we have it. Let's let EJ demonstrate during the regular season he doesn't deserve to be our starting QB before we toss him aside for the next nice shiny piece of candy that comes along.

Typ0
08-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Not sure if this point got glazed over...but Ortons chance to start 16 games was for a Starting QB on some team to get injured for the season in the last couple weeks of camp. It happens many years. Thus, he may have been waiting for that situation to open up for him so he could start 16 games. I didn't mean he would be starting 16 games here in any case....

I do agree with what you are saying about them avoiding a QB controversy here though.

No doubt, valid points.

Personally, I doubt the issue was money... I don't see the Bills' offer being much different, if any different than it would have been a month ago.

Also, had Orton been in camp, we might have had a real QB competition with Manuel for the starting spot, instead of the whole "backup QB competition" we were told we got.

As it stands, Orton doesn't really have a chance to start 16 games... Had he signed in July, that might have been a possibility.

-Bill

feldspar
08-30-2014, 02:32 PM

I think Orton could be ready to play by week 3...he's gotten ready that quickly before on a new team.

Kansas City picked him up in the later part of November in 2011. Three-and-a-half weeks later he started, and the Chiefs beat the Packers, who were on a 19-game winning streak. Orton did pretty well too...threw for 300 yards. He started the final three games, where the Chiefs went 2-1.

I think he'd be up to speed enough after the first 2 games.

Picking up Orton is probably the best move the Bills could realistically make at this point IMO. Not that he's "all that," but he's a solid backup that you know can step in.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.

That should make the champagne corks pop in CLE... :xmas:

swiper
08-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Except for it being addressed already

No it hasn't. They were chasing him. Great. Why didn't he sign then? Your post doesn't explain that.

kingJofNYC
08-30-2014, 06:33 PM
They're paying Orton $5m this year.

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

They will all be gone at the end of the year.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.

Turf
08-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Well said, can't agree more.

GingerP
08-30-2014, 06:58 PM
At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.

It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 07:05 PM
It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.

never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.

GingerP
08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.

I agree Orton is a good backup, but he isn't a starter. EJ isn't even a good backup. He is terrible.

The choice is EJ with his 58.8% completions and 6.4 yards per attempt or Orton with his career 58.5% completions and 6.6 yards per attempt. Forgive me if I don't think there are teams better off.

sudzy
08-30-2014, 07:13 PM

Crack is whack

YardRat
08-30-2014, 07:16 PM

-Bill

How do you know they didn't?

Jesus H Christ, for the life of me I don't know why some people think free agents are sweating bullets waiting for the phone to ring and just praying it's the buffalo Bills on the other end of the line.

Unless the offer is mega-bucks and a starting gig, who the hell with half of a brain cell is going to jump at what would amount to be a first offer?

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Crack is whack

Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).

sudzy
08-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).

I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB then EJ.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 07:22 PM
I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB the EJ.

You're missing the entire point I'm trying to make then.

sudzy
08-30-2014, 07:27 PM
It looks like your trying to make it sound like QB is a strength for the Bills. That argument loses credibility once you mention EJ. Orton is a nice back up and maybe a reliable start (I hope).

GingerP
08-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Really any team with a QB better than either of them, which is just about every team, has a better situation.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Really any team with a QB better than either of them, which is just about every team, has a better situation.

I didn't say either of them I said both of them. As sure EJ as a starter now is not in the top 20 NFL QB but I think he has the potential to do so. Then in terms or Orton show me 12 teams that have a better backup QB in play.

better days
08-30-2014, 08:15 PM

I pull the douche card a lot lately, because a lot of douches are on this board lately.

Show me where I have positioned myself as the Worlds biggest EJ fan/ appologist.

Before the draft, I said I wanted the Bills to draft Mike Glennon & posted recently in a different thread that I still wish the Bills had drafted Glennon.

All I have ever said about EJ is that he should be given this year to prove himself.

Douches post CRAP that is not true.

better days
08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
And if I have a choice between watching EJ this year that may not be a Starting quality NFL QB, or Orton who has already proven he is not an NFL Starting QB, I hope to God EJ stays healthy.

GingerP
08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
I didn't say either of them I said both of them. As sure EJ as a starter now is not in the top 20 NFL QB but I think he has the potential to do so. Then in terms or Orton show me 12 teams that have a better backup QB in play.

I guess we see it differently. Orton is worse than 90% of the starters out there. EJ is worse than most of the backups. It is not a strong duo, because neither one is a long-term answer. I terms of EJ's "potential", I see it about the same as Losman's.

starrymessenger
08-31-2014, 05:41 AM

We hear a lot about his physical tools but there are lots of non-quarterbacks who are better athletes than him and don't get banged up- one just got cut in Seattle.
EJ is big. That's it.
As for the wonderful intangibles we also hear so much about I doubt very much that his teammates have confidence in him. It's the NFL, you have to lead by example, and he can't. Make it rain or get lost.
Also everybody is different but I don't see the passion and the NASTY you know, what you saw when a batter tries to crowd the plate with Bob Gibson on the mound.
He's a nice, big young man who cannot play quarterback in this league.
But he has 10 million reasons to feel good about himself and I don't begrudge him at all.
Its the dufus who picked him (whoever that is) who should be blamed.
Bills don't know quarterbacks.
They just don't.

CommissarSpartacus
08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
EJ/Orton 2014 is giving me flashbacks to JP/Kelly Holcomb 2005, except Losman had more fan support than EJ, because Losman was cute and white so more fans wanted to **** him...

JoeMama
09-01-2014, 12:26 AM
EJ/Orton 2014 is giving me flashbacks to JP/Kelly Holcomb 2005, except Losman had more fan support than EJ, because Losman was cute and white so more fans wanted to **** him...

Well duh.

We rate our QBs by how big of superhunks they are.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/w_losman_360.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/w_losman_360.jpg.html)

justasportsfan
09-01-2014, 08:32 AM
I'll take Orton over Kolb.

better days
09-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I'll take Orton over Kolb.

Orton was the best QB available. He can win some games if/when EJ gets injured.

Great job by Whaley to sign him.

justasportsfan
09-01-2014, 08:37 AM

I'll take Orton over EJ. :tip: Orton has the arm and isn't scared to let his receivers make a play

CommissarSpartacus
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I remember Orton outplaying JP in a pre-season game back in 2005.

People screamed that JP was awesome and Orton was a bum.

Who's laughing now?

swiper
09-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Who's laughing now?

Not Gaius Claudius Glaber.

swiper
09-02-2014, 12:29 PM

We can see the opinion turning like an old creaking cogwheel.

better days
09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I'll take Orton over EJ. :tip: Orton has the arm and isn't scared to let his receivers make a play

Orton is 32 years old. EJ also has an arm, he just needs to learn to let his receivers make a play, especially with the flags the refs are throwing.

better days
09-02-2014, 01:58 PM
We can see the opinion turning like an old creaking cogwheel.

I have always thought Orton was a good back up.

I think he is better than Fitz, but not by much.

justasportsfan
09-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Orton is 32 years old. EJ also has an arm, he just needs to learn to let his receivers make a play, especially with the flags the refs are throwing.

EJ has an arm, he just has to use it. Your arm won't mean much when your brain isn't willing. The bills have built a running game that will force teams to stack the line of scrimmage. If EJ starts throwing 5 yard bombs when team stack the LOS, I'd rather just run the ball all day.

better days
09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
EJ has an arm, he just has to use it. Your arm won't mean much when your brain isn't willing. The bills have built a running game that will force teams to stack the line of scrimmage. If EJ starts throwing 5 yard bombs when team stack the LOS, I'd rather just run the ball all day.

I agree, EJ can not play like Trent Edwards, he has to trust his receivers to make a play.

Meathead
09-02-2014, 02:54 PM

why do you have to make everything about race

stuckincincy
09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
why do you have to make everything about race

He's a Democrat?

Bill Cody
09-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Who's laughing now?

What does this even mean?

swiper
09-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I have always thought Orton was a good back up.

I think he is better than Fitz, but not by much.

Hey we agree on that much. I have called him the most under-rated QB in the NFL for a long time. Don't know how good he is at this point though.

feldspar
09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
What does this even mean?

Don't worry about it.

Shiva (a.k.a Spartacus) knows nothing about the Bills except to harass people about JP Losman.

CommissarSpartacus
09-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Don't worry about it.

Shiva (a.k.a Spartacus) knows nothing about the Bills except to harass people about JP Losman.

LOL!

Another bitter Losmaniac. If you guys HADN'T developed the world's biggest man-crush on Losman, we wouldn't be the leagues biggest laughing stock.

We're STILL paying for it nine years later. The whole, sad history of the last 10 years for the Bills is DIrECTLY traceable to JP Losman, or more accurately, JP Losmans FANS.

You guys ****ed up and we've ALL had to suffer because of it.

And I, for one, don't appreciate it.

mysticsoto
09-03-2014, 11:32 AM

I agree and if the teams stack the LOS, then EJ better just lob it to Watkins or Mike Williams EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Between their height/ability to go up for it, and the 5 yd (annoying) new stricter enforcement, we'll be moving the posts either way!!!

justasportsfan
09-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree and if the teams stack the LOS, then EJ better just lob it to Watkins or Mike Williams EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Between their height/ability to go up for it, and the 5 yd (annoying) new stricter enforcement, we'll be moving the posts either way!!!

and if he still dinks it to the rb...Orton time.

JoeMama
09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
LOL!

Another bitter Losmaniac. If you guys HADN'T developed the world's biggest man-crush on Losman, we wouldn't be the leagues biggest laughing stock.

How could we resist?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/w_losman_360.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/w_losman_360.jpg.html)

Historian
09-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Funny, he and Orton could be brothers...

Meathead
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM
LOL!

We're STILL paying for it nine years later. The whole, sad history of the last 10 years for the Bills is DIrECTLY traceable to JP Losman, or more accurately, JP Losmans FANS.

You guys ****ed up and we've ALL had to suffer because of it.

And I, for one, don't appreciate it.

one word: nick rolovich or kelly holcomb

CommissarSpartacus
09-04-2014, 10:48 AM
one word: nick rolovich or kelly holcomb

That's actually 5 words.

Derp...

Night Train
09-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Funny, he and Orton could be brothers...

Brotha from a different motha ?