PDA

View Full Version : New Front Office

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2014, 03:23 PM
May as well start this now.

Who do you want to see for the new GM/HC when this current circus is fired at the end of the season?

If you were the new owner, would you go with an NFL retread or college experiment?

I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo (we all remember the embarrassment before Marrone was hired) However that may change if the new owner can convince him that he is deadly serious about building a contender, and of course offers insane amounts of cash. I'm just not sure who is out there that would be that guy.

We're seeing first hand how a college guy can fail miserably. But, there are some success stories as well in the league. Any college coaches you'd like to see?

Some may say I'm giving up too soon but I'm just being a realist. They've gone through 6 coaches and 5 GMs in the 16 years since Levy retired. There's absolutely no reason next season will be any different, given what we've seen to this point. Maybe a new owner will have the ability to get the right FO in place to get the team back to being a contender. That's my hope, anyway.

Gilly
08-30-2014, 03:25 PM
go jump into the lake...

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 03:30 PM
May as well start this now.

Who do you want to see for the new GM/HC when this current circus is fired at the end of the season?

If you were the new owner, would you go with an NFL retread or college experiment?

I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo (we all remember the embarrassment before Marrone was hired) However that may change if the new owner can convince him that he is deadly serious about building a contender, and of course offers insane amounts of cash. I'm just not sure who is out there that would be that guy.

We're seeing first hand how a college guy can fail miserably. But, there are some success stories as well in the league. Any college coaches you'd like to see?

Some may say I'm giving up too soon but I'm just being a realist. They've gone through 6 coaches and 5 GMs in the 16 years since Levy retired. There's absolutely no reason next season will be any different, given what we've seen to this point. Maybe a new owner will have the ability to get the right FO in place to get the team back to being a contender. That's my hope, anyway.

They will be elbowing each other, tripping ankles and so on to get jobs with a new organization. The guild called the NFL has only 32 outlet stores. What we now call networking was called cronyism and nepotism in years past.

The new owner will bring in his extended buddy network. Will they be good football men? Who knows?

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2014, 03:33 PM
The new owner will bring in his extended buddy network. Will they be good football men? Who knows

Fair point....likely the GM will be the buddy, then the HC will be the GM's buddy... So, to your point, let's hope the new owner is buddies with a good GM. ;)

Generalissimus Gibby
08-30-2014, 03:38 PM
When the dust settles, I want the following

1) A proven winner in the NFL as an HC
2) A proven talent analyst as GM
3) An owner with an open checkbook, and the tenacity to sign the players we need

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Fair point....likely the GM will be the buddy, then the HC will be the GM's buddy... So, to your point, let's hope the new owner is buddies with a good GM. ;)

Indeed. The worries are manifest. Will a purchase be by someone looking for a comfortable cash cow? Purchased by a fellow of means for reasons assuaging his ego?

I personally feel that the NFL survives today because of an unholy alliance with the tv business.

jills
08-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Malzahn, Harbaugh...

Hey, a guy can dream right?

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Indeed. The worries are manifest. Will a purchase be by someone looking for a comfortable cash cow? Purchased by a fellow of means for reasons assuaging his ego?

I personally feel that the NFL survives today because of an unholy alliance with the tv business.

True...so the question I have is, does it really matter if your team wins? Meaning, given the revenue sharing, does a winning team make more money than a loser? Did Dallas make more money when it was winning SBs vs not making the playoffs? I'd assume that the more crap you sell (jerseys, hats, etc) the more you make, but I don't know if that is shared as well. Do you make more if your team is on national TV more often? Again, I think it's shared but could be wrong. I'm reasonably sure stadium concessions don't get shared but don't know for sure. So net net, what revenue is specifically tied to the team's performance? If it's marginal, then unfortunately we could end up with a status quo owner milking the NFL cash cow. Really hope that's not the case...

stuckincincy
08-30-2014, 04:10 PM
True...so the question I have is, does it really matter if your team wins? Meaning, given the revenue sharing, does a winning team make more money than a loser? Did Dallas make more money when it was winning SBs vs not making the playoffs? I'd assume that the more crap you sell (jerseys, hats, etc) the more you make, but I don't know if that is shared as well. Do you make more if your team is on national TV more often? Again, I think it's shared but could be wrong. So net net, what revenue is specifically tied to the team's performance? If it's marginal, then unfortunately we could end up with a status quo owner milking the NFL cash cow. Really hope that's not the case...

The trinket $ goes to the licensing team.

Winning sells more trinkets, long years of national exposure sells more trinkets - folks in Iowa are more likely to buy Dallas trash than Buffalo or Cincinnati trash. The whole idea of such is fascinating marketing - who would spend $ for a General Motors mug or a Citibank jersey?

As far as I know, there's nothing that would force a club to straighten up their act. Not these days, anyway.

I do recall other owners taking B'gals owner Brown to the woodshed in the '90's for being a drag on the overall league image and profit picture, making him modify his blatant skinflint ways. I remember reading about former 1st rnd pick Ki-Jana Carter (what a shame about his injuries..he really would have been something) bringing in towels and soap into camp because they weren't provided.

To answer your first sentence - I don't think it matters anymore. You need an owner who wants to win. Folks like to bang on the 'Skins owner Snyder and all his goofy moves. I find him just rolling the dice to get a winner because he can afford to do so.

Typ0
08-30-2014, 04:23 PM
If Pegula gets the team things will get real ... if he doesn't there will be no changes.

YardRat
08-30-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm OK with the approach this front office has taken and many of the moves they've made, although admittedly some are real head-scratchers and they certainly aren't perfect. I'm also willing to give Marrone this season, at least, to see if he can build something positive instead of continuing the status quo of sucking. One thing this organization hasn't had in 15 seasons is continuity...that's important, and takes more than a couple of seasons to establish and build on.

That being said, I'll play along just for the sake of the game...If the defense performs up to, or surpasses, expectations and the offense fails to improve I'd be OK with elevating Schwartz to the HC job. Far more important than that, and something that I would insist on if I were owner, would be the hiring of experienced and established coordinators for all three phases of the game. If Schwartz wasn't an option, I'd prefer somebody with experience elsewhere (Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Munchak etc) but definitely not anybody that has already won a title and/or has a huge ego (Shanahan, Cowher...) I want somebody that is still hungry and has something to prove, not a 'name' guy that is cashing in on previous success and as history has shown almost zero chance to repeat it elsewhere.

For GM, bring in a guy that has had success elsewhere as the #2, like Eric DeCosta or Joel Patten.

Skooby
08-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Go Whiz on a electric fence.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm OK with the approach this front office has taken and many of the moves they've made, although admittedly some are real head-scratchers and they certainly aren't perfect. I'm also willing to give Marrone this season, at least, to see if he can build something positive instead of continuing the status quo of sucking. One thing this organization hasn't had in 15 seasons is continuity...that's important, and takes more than a couple of seasons to establish and build on.

That being said, I'll play along just for the sake of the game...If the defense performs up to, or surpasses, expectations and the offense fails to improve I'd be OK with elevating Schwartz to the HC job. Far more important than that, and something that I would insist on if I were owner, would be the hiring of experienced and established coordinators for all three phases of the game. If Schwartz wasn't an option, I'd prefer somebody with experience elsewhere (Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Munchak etc) but definitely not anybody that has already won a title and/or has a huge ego (Shanahan, Cowher...) I want somebody that is still hungry and has something to prove, not a 'name' guy that is cashing in on previous success and as history has shown almost zero chance to repeat it elsewhere.

For GM, bring in a guy that has had success elsewhere as the #2, like Eric DeCosta or Joel Patten.

While I'm not ready to toss aside Whaley and Marrone would you accept Floyd Reese and Jim Schwartz? As Reese used to be the top guy with the Titans but recently is in a secondary role with the Patriots.

jamze132
08-30-2014, 06:18 PM
HC: Wade Phillips
OC: Chan Gailey
DC: Dick Jauron

kingJofNYC
08-30-2014, 06:38 PM
They ignored the QB position all offseason, then a week before the season starts they realize how ****ing dumb they were, grab a bag full of money and throw $5m this season at Kyle Orton.

No strategy in place to build a winner, just a desperate attempt to try and secure a playoff spot (HAHAHAHA) so they can point to that as success for the new owner. Meanwhile the team will be worse off in 2015 than they are in 2014 as hard as that it is to believe.

Hilariously bad. Makes me yearn for the days of Donahoe.

Franchise is at rock bottom, they're the worst team in football top to bottom. Not the worst talent, but the worst run and coached team.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 06:44 PM
They ignored the QB position all offseason, then a week before the season starts they realize how ****ing dumb they were, grab a bag full of money and throw $5m this season at Kyle Orton.

No strategy in place to build a winner, just a desperate attempt to try and secure a playoff spot (HAHAHAHA) so they can point to that as success for the new owner. Meanwhile the team will be worse off in 2015 than they are in 2014 as hard as that it is to believe.

Hilariously bad. Makes me yearn for the days of Donahoe.

Franchise is at rock bottom, they're the worst team in football top to bottom. Not the worst talent, but the worst run and coached team.

If I were to tell you going into the draft that our QBs would be EJ and Orton in Week 1 would you want us to draft a QB? If so please tell me what rookie QB that was drafted after round 3 do you think would improve this roster and be worth keeping?

kingJofNYC
08-30-2014, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't have drafted EJ to begin with. I'm not delusional, and actually watched him play at FSU.

Why wait until the third round to draft one? We spent two picks on one WR? Why not spend two firsts on two QBs and let them compete?

EJ wasn't first round talent, desperate move by a desperate regime. Enjoy 4-12 this year. Thank god, we now have the 1-2 punch of Kyle Orton and EJ.

The Jokeman
08-30-2014, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't have drafted EJ to begin with. I'm not delusional, and actually watched him play at FSU.

Why wait until the third round to draft one? We spent two picks on one WR? Why not spend two firsts on two QBs and let them compete?

EJ wasn't first round talent, desperate move by a desperate regime. Enjoy 4-12 this year. Thank god, we now have the 1-2 punch of Kyle Orton and EJ.

I wasn't 100% on board with the Watkins trade and I felt selecting EJ at pick 16 was a reach too. Yet I think this team is giving EJ enough rope to either kill himself or save himself and the franchise. Let me ask you this, if somehow Fred Jackson and Andrew Dixon were able to cross the goal line in their goal line failures this preseason would most us saying EJ and the offense have been horrible this preseason? I doubt it. Yes there be some concern but I doubt people would be so quick to deem EJ and this offense as a failure.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Still like the Watkins pick, not sure if giving up next years 1 was a prudent choice, but Watkins is the type of talent you can build an offense around if you have a good QB. Problem is gonna be finding that good QB because it's not happening this year, nor is it happening next year barring another huge trade.

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm not even going to question the EJ draft to be honest. There are no guarantees with the draft, especially QBs (so many busts, so few elites) HOWEVER, it's how you handle the team after you've drafted the guy and make the necessary adjustments. They have had EJ for over a year now so they know what they know. They also had Tuel and Lewis last year as well. To go into this offseason thinking they had what they needed is either pure ego or pure dumb, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Now, I'm not a football expert and the assumption is they know a ton more since that is their job. Fair enough. But when you dump both Tuel and Lewis a week or two before the opening game, and then bring in a Palmer for 3 days, dump him, and then grab Orton at the last minute? There is no way anyone is going to convince me that they know what they are doing. This was a desperate hail mary and a sign of disorganization, lack of insight, and quite frankly a lack of leadership and talent.

So while I don't believe in EJ, I'm not blaming them for taking a shot. I blame them for not reacting in the ways a good front office does when a mistake (well, several mistakes) is made. I don't follow college ball to recommend any for consideration but I think I've had enough of that experiment to be honest. I'd like to see someone bring the following:

Commitment
Passion
Knowledge
Respect

They don't need a "new genius" or whatever. Maybe for the next regime. Right now I think they need those four things from the GM/HC so that the team can gel, get its feet planted, and grow into a respectable organization that we haven't seen since the Polian/Levy days.

Ginger Vitis
08-31-2014, 03:24 PM
I would say Eric Decosta as GM but he signed a contract extension with the Ravens that pays him well and is suppose to be Ozzie Newsomes heir apparent so that is a pipe dream

Mace
08-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Still like the Watkins pick, not sure if giving up next years 1 was a prudent choice, but Watkins is the type of talent you can build an offense around if you have a good QB. Problem is gonna be finding that good QB because it's not happening this year, nor is it happening next year barring another huge trade.

Thing is, so was Spiller though.

I dunno, fantasyland, Marty Schottenheimer as GM ? He came through this last preseason to visit, has some ties, no enmity, Chuck Knoxed as a head coach but seems to have a feel for personnel. Still fantasyland...well, how about Sean McDermott/Vic Fangio or Greg Roman (defense or offensive minded)......since it's fantasyland, they pick their related coordinator who knows their way, and then, since it's fantasyland, you get either Wade Phillips (sweeten it with an assistant HC title for defense) if it's Roman, or roll the dice on Hostler (offensive assistant Buffalo), ex TB'er Mike Sullivan (1 good year, 1 bad, lot of injuries).

Darrell Bevell (OC Seattle), Dan Quinn (DC Seattle) for HC. Other GM candidates Greg Gabriel, Eric DeCosta (Baltimore agm).....

Mace
08-31-2014, 08:59 PM
I would say Eric Decosta as GM but he signed a contract extension with the Ravens that pays him well and is suppose to be Ozzie Newsomes heir apparent so that is a pipe dream

Might not be if say, a Pegula throws money at him and he'd feeling impatient.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Thing is, so was Spiller though.

I dunno, fantasyland, Marty Schottenheimer as GM ? He came through this last preseason to visit, has some ties, no enmity, Chuck Knoxed as a head coach but seems to have a feel for personnel. Still fantasyland...well, how about Sean McDermott/Vic Fangio or Greg Roman (defense or offensive minded)......since it's fantasyland, they pick their related coordinator who knows their way, and then, since it's fantasyland, you get either Wade Phillips (sweeten it with an assistant HC title for defense) if it's Roman, or roll the dice on Hostler (offensive assistant Buffalo), ex TB'er Mike Sullivan (1 good year, 1 bad, lot of injuries).

Darrell Bevell (OC Seattle), Dan Quinn (DC Seattle) for HC. Other GM candidates Greg Gabriel, Eric DeCosta (Baltimore agm).....

The Spiller thing was just stupidity. They wasted a high pick on a RB who had the ceiling of Eric Metcalf in a league that's now more geared towards passing than running.

They shoulda picked Dez Bryant back then and then maybe they wouldn't have had to throw around extra picks to get Watkins.

Still won't hate on the Watkins pick, he'll be productive here even after EJ is gone, unsure if I like how much was given up to get him with how unsettled the QB position is.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Still won't hate on the Watkins pick, he'll be productive here even after EJ is gone, unsure if I like how much was given up to get him with how unsettled the QB position is.

Agreed. I think great QBs make average WRs look really good, but I don't think it works the other way around as much. Sure, if the WR absolutely stinks and can't get separation then it doesn't matter if you have Manning/Brady/etc., but a great QB can read a defense like a book and makes them skittish, which then opens things up. A great WR can be open all day but if the QB is clueless, it won't matter. He won't make the throw, take too long, get sacked, etc., etc.

So I guess I stated the obvious.... without a great to elite QB, you're going nowhere.* Which is why I'm hoping the new FO is savvy enough to bundle up the right combinations next year (trades/drafts) and get on track to finding that QB after an 18 year post-Kelly failure.

* other than the 1% exceptions like Trent Dilfer.

Mace
09-01-2014, 06:04 PM
The Spiller thing was just stupidity. They wasted a high pick on a RB who had the ceiling of Eric Metcalf in a league that's now more geared towards passing than running.

They shoulda picked Dez Bryant back then and then maybe they wouldn't have had to throw around extra picks to get Watkins.

Well, the Spiller pick, I didn't like, but not because I don't like Spiller. If you ever notice, when they move him around, then throw him out wide, it's an instant mismatch and he cannot be covered, and is invariably running around by himself, looking around and waving his hand almost shyly, like "I'm not covered, I don't think I'm covered, I sure don't feel covered....", he's an option the play never gets to. Instead though, they run repeatedly into or around the line.

We just never grasped how to use him. Was a mistake we took him, but I really firmly believe someone else can and will to make us look stupid.

I don't know that Watkins, again a great talent, will be productive here after EJ. If he gets nailed one too many times, or injured on a throw his QB cannot make, we all collectively facepalm. I can honestly see it happening, not because of negativism, but because he's going to be watching for a ball he can't catch when someone large lowers their shoulder, or he's gonna try for a ball he means to catch that he can't, and one knee is going to keep going in the other direction.

I do not want this to happen. But with the available receivers, Watkins was the frosting on a cake that has not been baked yet.

feldspar
09-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Watkins was the frosting on a cake that has not been baked yet.

Look at Mace, waxing poetic over here.

BLeonard
09-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo

I don't think that it's because "nobody wants to go to Buffalo"...

I think it's because, nobody worth a damn wanted to be constricted by the ex-owner's imposed limitations, which included having the former Florida Marlins marketing guy as your COO and people such as Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf in the front office as well.

If a new owner comes in and removes those people and replaces them with real football people, as opposed to maximizing profits as the #1 priority, my guess is, the Head Coaching job becomes much more attractive.

As I've said in other threads, if Pegula is the next owner, if nothing else, we'll likely never have to hear the term "cash to the cap" again. I'd also about guarantee we'd never hear the phrase "Bills Toronto Series" ever again. Those two things alone would make the Bills HC job more attractive, IMO.

In short, it isn't the job that is unattractive... It's all of the extra junk, like dealing with Brandon, Overdorf and Littman, on top of having to make decisions based on maximizing profits, instead of improving the on-field product.

-Bill

Mace
09-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Look at Mace, waxing poetic over here.

Watkins was the breeze blowing through a glade when I listened to the wind,
Yet upon him, a darkened shade, failing to see the sheltered wood which offered him mrinned.

When I do poetry Mister, I do poetry.

feldspar
09-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Watkins was the breeze blowing through a glade when I listened to the wind,
Yet upon him, a darkened shade, failing to see the sheltered wood which offered him mrinned.

When I do poetry Mister, I do poetry.

LOL.

Great stuff.

BuffaloRedleg
09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Polian

Historian
09-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Well, the Spiller pick, I didn't like, but not because I don't like Spiller. If you ever notice, when they move him around, then throw him out wide, it's an instant mismatch and he cannot be covered, and is invariably running around by himself, looking around and waving his hand almost shyly, like "I'm not covered, I don't think I'm covered, I sure don't feel covered....", he's an option the play never gets to. Instead though, they run repeatedly into or around the line.

We just never grasped how to use him. Was a mistake we took him, but I really firmly believe someone else can and will to make us look stupid.

The Spiller scenario bears a striking resemblance to the drafting of OJ in 1969. The coach at the time used him incorrectly, lining him up at WR....the line stunk, getting him hurt.

It just feels like...seen this movie before.