PDA

View Full Version : Irsay: 6 game suspension, fined $500,000

Albany,n.y.
09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
All over cable sports TV

sukie
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
What does an owners suspension really do? He can't watch the games on Directv in the palacial home theatre?

BillsOverDolphins
09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
What does an owners suspension really do?

Nothing.

OpIv37
09-02-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm certainly not going to defend DUI but In the end, Irsay has a problem and he didn't hurt anyone.

How can the NFL justify such a harsh punishment when Ray Rice got a slap on the wrist for beating up a woman?

Goodell is turning into Bettman with the arbitrary enforcement policies.

DraftBoy
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm certainly not going to defend DUI but In the end, Irsay has a problem and he didn't hurt anyone.

How can the NFL justify such a harsh punishment when Ray Rice got a slap on the wrist for beating up a woman?

Wasn't just a DUI.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-02-2014, 08:34 PM

Goodell has already apologized for being so lenient on Rice and they have since upped the penalties for domestic violence.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/sport/nfl-goodell-domestic-violence-memo/index.html

OpIv37
09-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Wasn't just a DUI.

Understood. I still don't understand how an incident that doesn't involve violence or injury is punished so much ore harshly than one that does.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Understood. I still don't understand how an incident that doesn't involve violence or injury is punished so much ore harshly than one that does.

Big Ben had consensual sex with two women and got suspended for it

BillsOverDolphins
09-03-2014, 04:32 PM

I might be wrong but I think some broad OD'd at his place

DraftBoy
09-03-2014, 07:05 PM

You mean like Josh Brent who spent a year in jail and then got an 11 game suspension from the NFL for killing the passenger in his car while driving intoxicated? I'm not sure what you're referencing? If it's the DV policy that's been changed.

trapezeus
09-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Worse. bettman at least had shanahan try to have a video enforcement of issues and set some precedent and explain it.

goodell is the wizard of oz. just go see him, he'll fix it. and he decides a guy smoking pot is a full season and a guy beating his wife unconcious is 2 weeks. a guy getting hazed and his bully got more than that.

if you are going to give a guy that much power, he needs to have some guidelines. i understand why the players don't trust it. Welker gets 4 games because at the end of his career he has taken some enhancing drugs. I'm sure he never did that before when he was in patriot land.

it's hard to believe that this is a sport and not a soap opera at times.

SmokeShowin
09-07-2014, 01:20 AM
What does an owners suspension really do? He can't watch the games on Directv in the palacial home theatre?

Goodell's suspension bars Irsay from visiting the team complex, attending practices or games, representing the Colts at league or committee meetings and conducting interviews or using social media to address football-related issues. Carlie Irsay-Gordon represented the team at the owners' meetings in March. http://news.yahoo.com/colts-try-stay-course-irsays-absence-220749782--spt.html;_ylt=AwrBEiLIAAxUSCYAhKjQtDMD

In a letter to Irsay, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said, "I have stated on numerous occasions that owners, management personnel and coaches must be held to a higher standard than players."We discussed this during our meeting and you expressed your support for that view, volunteering that owners should be held to the highest standard."
Irsay issued a statement saying the arrest had "opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health."
"I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere," he said. http://news.yahoo.com/indianapolis-colts-owner-pleads-guilty-intoxicated-driving-171841972--nfl.html;_ylt=AwrBJSAJAAxUA0oA_5PQtDMD

stuckincincy
09-14-2014, 05:45 AM
TMQ chimes in:

..."TMQ Item Written By Reader: NFL players are ripping the token fine given to billionaire Colts owner Jim Irsay. Reader Brian Borger of Los Angeles writes, "Irsay just got fined $500,000 by the NFL for his DWI. Per the ESPN.com story, Roger Goodell said, 'I have stated on numerous occasions that owners, management personnel and coaches must be held to a higher standard than players.' Per Wikipedia, Irsay is worth $1.6 billion. Divide $500,000 into $1.6 billion. Irsay was fined .031 percent of his net worth.

"Compare that with Josh Gordon's one-year suspension for marijuana use. Gordon will lose $1.4 million in game checks, about three times what the Colts' owner was fined. Gordon's net worth is unknown but since he is 23 years old and just started working as a car salesman, most likely his net worth is roughly the $5.3 million pretax value of his Browns' contract. Divide $1.4 million into $5.3 million, and Gordon was fined 26 percent of his net worth. Viewed this way, his fine his 800 times the fine levied on Irsay. Plus Gordon has only a few years in which to earn a pro athlete's living, while Irsay can spend his entire life managing the fortune he inherited. In sum, it does not appear that in the NFL, management is held to a higher standard."...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/TMQWeekOne140909/nfl-borrows-prep-college-plays-tuesday-morning-quarterback