PDA

View Full Version : Pundit claims that Watkins will play in the opener

stuckincincy
09-03-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388915/article/injuries-watkins-a-full-participant-newton-limited-in-practice

I recall folks here waxing poetic about Watkins' "large catching radius". The extension and the one-handed grab wowing in practice. He will really help Manual, etc.

Could we translate that as "WR forced to reach and fully expose his rib cage to snare the errant pass?"

better days
09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Watkins was on the John Murphy show today & said he will play against the Bears.

The Bills could just use Watkins as a decoy & he would have value on the field.

I would tell EJ to not throw the ball to Watkins unless he is WIDE OPEN.

stuckincincy
09-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Watkins was on the John Murphy show today & said he will play against the Bears.

You have 5 skill players on the field, 6 including the qb. Not utilizing one unless he is wide open makes no sense, and it assumes that Manuel can notice such in the first place.

Watkins is not an AJ Green or a Julio Jones or a Cordarrlle Patterson, to name some recent big noises. There is nothing in his pre season outings that says that any DC need plan for him. Too bad he missed ps games, but he didn't light thing up when he played other teams. So far, his news ink is for making one-handed catches in soft camp defense.

If they choose to have him suit up, fine. Just be aware that it is not uncommon for clubs to go after the top choices, or see the fellows at the bottom of the salary range go and pop them out of envy and test their mettle.

The Bills staff was dumb to have him play a game after his initial injury. And then he gets nicked again. Better to sit him out, than paint a target on his rib cage.

THATHURMANATOR
09-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Not being AJ Green or Julio is up for debate and I would agree with that until I see him do it, but IMO he is more talented than Patterson for sure.

Patterson did nothing in the first half of last year.

Love how he goes from super stud to a nobody in a couple weeks. People are insane.

BillsOverDolphins
09-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Not to fear. As seen in EJ's highlight video (that YardRat posted in my thread), he only throws to wide open targets, preferably inside the sticks

BillsImpossible
09-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Watkins is going to take a shot alright, right before the game to numb up the pain.

If Chicago's secondary lays a pinky finger on him past 5 yards, first down.

Great players learn how to play with pain with a little help from a needle.

Novocaine for the ribs.

YardRat
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Not to fear. As seen in EJ's highlight video (that YardRat posted in my thread), he only throws to wide open targets, preferably inside the sticks

You obviously didn't watch it.

swiper
09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

ROFL at the idiocy on this board. You CANNOT use a player who hasn't caught a real NFL pass as a decoy for anything. That's a patently stupid statement.

Fletch
09-03-2014, 07:53 PM
They're going to play Watkins too early and instead of just healing he's going to have rib issues all season.

Anyone that's had bruised ribs knows that even if you feel better you still probably need an extra week to heal up fully.

better days
09-03-2014, 09:53 PM
You have 5 skill players on the field, 6 including the qb. Not utilizing one unless he is wide open makes no sense, and it assumes that Manuel can notice such in the first place.

Watkins is not an AJ Green or a Julio Jones or a Cordarrlle Patterson, to name some recent big noises. There is nothing in his pre season outings that says that any DC need plan for him. Too bad he missed ps games, but he didn't light thing up when he played other teams. So far, his news ink is for making one-handed catches in soft camp defense.

If they choose to have him suit up, fine. Just be aware that it is not uncommon for clubs to go after the top choices, or see the fellows at the bottom of the salary range go and pop them out of envy and test their mettle.

The Bills staff was dumb to have him play a game after his initial injury. And then he gets nicked again. Better to sit him out, than paint a target on his rib cage.

If anyone lays a hand on any WR, that does not have the ball it will draw a penalty & fine this year.

If Watkins is on the field, he will draw attention even if he doesn't get the ball.

Pinkerton Security
09-04-2014, 07:55 AM
ROFL at the idiocy on this board. You CANNOT use a player who hasn't caught a real NFL pass as a decoy for anything. That's a patently stupid statement.

So you believe the defense is going to treat Watkins as any other player? I myself would guess that you aren't correct - hes got game-changing open field skills.

better days
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM

So you think the Bears will not have anyone cover Watkins until after he has caught a pass or two?

justasportsfan
09-04-2014, 09:34 AM
IMO Robert Woods is a bigger threat than Watkins.

better days
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
IMO Robert Woods is a bigger threat than Watkins.

Not after the ball is in his hands.

But I agree, EJ has chemistry with Woods & will likely target him more often than Watkins.

trapezeus
09-04-2014, 09:39 AM
watkins is unproven. yes, he's a high draft pick, but let's see what he can do. most player have to play with some pain. they've held him out since the injury and limited his contact thus far. i know rib injuries suck and linger.

but he's a rookie and the bills only shot at having a good season is to try to start the season hot. to do that, they should go with all their best players available. if his ribs aren't broken, then to me, he's available. I like his attitude and desire to want to play.

the bills will obviously have to monitor him in the game and see how it is going. if he takes a couple shots and it worsens then he'll have to come out. but we can't play scared at the 15:00 mark of game one, quarter 1.