PDA

View Full Version : A reason to be optimistic tomorrow?

JohnnyGold
09-06-2014, 06:58 AM
After shooting a great round (by my embarassingly low standards) yesterday, I was looking at my scorecard when I got home, and getting angry at myself that it could have been better. Like always, I started out slow on the first 2 holes--even going OB on the first hole, taking my two strokes, and then taking 3 putts to finish the hole... but that's not the point of this post. :err:

Thinking back to last years games, one thing that I vaguely remembered hearing during the games was that the Bills hadn't scored a TD in the first quarter until pretty late in the season. And so I wondered: is EJ a "slow starter" as well?

I looked at pro-football-reference.com's boxscores from last season, and compiled a summary of EJ's season, on a quarter-by-quarter basis.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been done before and I missed the thread, and I'm 100% positive that someone can shut this thread down in 3 seconds by posting a link to a site that I overlooked where this breakdown already exists and tell me that I'm posting yesterday's news--additionally, I'm aware that these aren't 100% accurate, because I may have counted some PI penalties and not others in terms of his yardage count... but the TDs, INTs, and Completion % line up perfectly with his posted stat line for the season, so I'm confident that it's accurate to the point that this can be a somewhat meaningful discussion.)

The results were both alarming, and somewhat exciting in terms of getting ready to watch the opening game tomorrow. Here are his stats, broken down by quarter:

Completion percentage
First quarter: 51%
2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters: 63%, 60%, 61%

Yards
First quarter: 297
2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters: 502, 567, 502

TDs
First quarter: 0
2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters: 4, 3, 4

Interceptions
First quarter: 1
2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters: 2, 4, 2

Passing Attempts
First quarter: 57
2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters: 75, 80, 80

SO... at the end of the day, in every important statistical category, EJ is miles ahead of how he plays in the first quarter; and it's actually somewhat shocking how much of a disparity there is. Even the number of passes attempted stands out at me--the Bills coaching staff seems to come out of the gate very conservative (think how many times we deferred the kick off last year as well.)

Why does this matter right now?In the preseason, obviously, EJ is only playing the first quarter, MAYBE into the second. In the Tampa game, he played into the third, (and played well.) Spiller and Jackson played even less than that, not to mention our top wideouts who didn't even start in some cases. So with a quarterback who is, by all statistical measures, a "slow starter" (I prefer conservative starter), taking the first string defense and rb's off the field, like we did all preseason, is going to limit the ball-control game that he is accustomed to playing. To judge what we're going to do this year based on EJ's performance in the first quarter of 5 preseason games seems meaningless--as, statistically, he plays much much better the longer the game goes on. It would be like judging Tiger Woods as a golfer based only on his Thursday scores (from the era when he was winning majors).

So what could this mean for tomorrow?
Speaking as a pessimistic Bills fan, it probably doesn't mean much. I generally hate it when people say "it's just preseason". But in this case, I think we can expect EJ to get off to a slow start against Chicago--but I also think the game plan will look different, as the coaches will likely ease him into the game, limit his throws, and get the ball to CJ and Freddy in space. But more importantly, I look for our first string D to be on the field for more than 1 or 2 series (obviously: it's not the preseason anymore), and create turnovers/field position. That's the kind of game it will be.
But if the Bills can stay close to the Bears going into the half, there's no reason to think the offense can't come alive in the third and fourth quarters.

swiper
09-06-2014, 07:11 AM
The word slaughter comes to mind.

Night Train
09-06-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm optimistic I won't be passing a kidney stone all Monday on this message board if they lose. I expect a loss but hope to be surprised. It's up to our D.

What I wish to see is some improvement to carry forward to the 2 home games, following this opener.

After 4 weeks, we'll have a base idea on where this team is headed.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Another reason for optimism has to do with the QB we're facing.

While Jay Cutler is obviously capable of putting up numbers, he's also been through many seasons where his sacks/interceptions go way up.

I'm not saying he's the modern era's version of Drew Bledsoe, a turnover prone sack machine.

But if our front four get to Cutler, he'll make plenty of bad decisions and absorb his fair share of sacks.

Which obviously bodes well for us, assuming EJ can be minimally efficient and take what the defense gives him.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 08:24 AM
A second reason for optimism.

Our D led the league in sacks last year.

A third reason for optimism.

The Lions swept the Bears last season, indicating even an incompetent head coach like Jim Schwartz knows something about the Bears weaknesses.

A fourth reason for optimism.

The Bills rule. That's not an opinion either. That's a fact of life.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/billsfreakingrule1.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/billsfreakingrule1.jpg.html)

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-06-2014, 08:41 AM
not to pour cold water all over your stats, but the upped completion percentage, touchdowns AND interceptions could be partially because the team got off to a bad start in the first quarter and had to take more chances in order to catch up. completion percentage up because we are so far behind that teams are giving us more dink and dunk passes to not give up the 'big play.'

i hope I'm wrong, but that could be one interpretation of those statistics!

Skooby
09-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Optimism tomorrow ? I'll be able to get drunk & not remember anything potentially negative until Monday.

Scumbag College
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM
It's the first Bills game of the season. Optimistic? I'm damn giddy about it.

k-oneputt
09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Defense, running game, and yes EJ must at least be a functional NFL qb.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Some of you guys are a bunch of Eeyores.

We're almost 24 hours away from kickoff.

It's time to put our game faces on and get pumped.

Need a refresher on how to get pumped for a Bills game?

It's Mike Miller time, baby.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iwCiQASnw6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turf
09-06-2014, 09:35 AM
My optimism is over the top confidence that the Bills get wiped out. Perfect scenario to get shocked and have the exact opposite happen. Personel wise the Bills are a good team. If Hackett doesn't call last years game plan, and with a few breaks, this thing could unravel for Chicago. 48-10 Bills, that's my long shot for optimism. Hey it s the first game.....

JohnnyGold
09-06-2014, 09:39 AM
not to pour cold water all over your stats, but the upped completion percentage, touchdowns AND interceptions could be partially because the team got off to a bad start in the first quarter and had to take more chances in order to catch up. completion percentage up because we are so far behind that teams are giving us more dink and dunk passes to not give up the 'big play.'

i hope I'm wrong, but that could be one interpretation of those statistics!

New England: -10
Panthers: 0
Jets: -7
Ravens: +6
Browns: +10
Steelers: +3
Jets: 0
Falcons: +7
Bucs: -11
Jags: 0

So in 3 of the games EJ started we trailed at the end of 1
In 3 games he started we were even with the opponent at the end of 1
and in 4 games EJ started, we had the lead after 1

So we certainly weren't playing catchup.

Perhaps it's just a case of a rookie coming into a game, seeing things he hasn't seen before, and adjusting to it in-game.

Perhaps that is also why Hackett came down from the booth to the sideline.

The intelligence that EJ displays in interviews is nice to see, he obviously has a good head on his shoulder. It seems to me, that once he gets into a game, sees what the defense is giving him, and is able to digest what changes he needs to make, he performs better for the remainder of game.

With a strong defense, good running game, and improved offensive weapons, that might result in more wins at the tail end of games. As a starter, EJ went 4-5, for a .444 win pct. If we leave the Cleveland game out of it, the Bills had a chance to win a game late against New England, @ Jets, and the Falcons. Let's say an improved offense and better 2nd year player in EJ could swing 2 out of 3 of those types of scenarios this season, that would make EJ 6-3 as a starter, good for a .667 win pct., which if extrapolated over the course of a season, amounts to an 11 win team.

That calculation obviously requires some leaps of logic, but I think it has some merit to it. My only point to any of this, is that... 2 things: I don't think using EJ's performance in the first quarter of preseason games is an accurate barometer of his progress/ability to play the position, as he typically improves as the game moves along, and he was only playing in the first quarter of preseason games.

and more importantly, B: I expect us to come out conservatively against Chicago tomorrow, but I will need to keep reminding myself that however we look in the first, is not how we will look in the fourth. So, for my sanity, I plan on staying far far away from gameday commentary threads tomorrow, and even if we're down 14-0 after 1, I will keep the faith/optimism alive until the 4th, and won't start calling for Orton!

Lucidvizion
09-06-2014, 10:00 AM

And you can't have slaughter without laughter.

Turf
09-06-2014, 10:24 AM
This team has so much pent up anger, if they channel it correctly they could destroy another team.

Scumbag College
09-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Some of you guys are a bunch of Eeyores.

We're almost 24 hours away from kickoff.

It's time to put our game faces on and get pumped.

Need a refresher on how to get pumped for a Bills game?

It's Mike Miller time, baby.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iwCiQASnw6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That guy always makes me feel like such a lightweight as a fan.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 10:52 AM
That guy always makes me feel like such a lightweight as a fan.

Ditto.

I feel like I'm as big a zealot there is as a Bills fan but I'm lower than the shadow of a snake compared to the glory of Superfan Mark Miller.

This video has been part of my Sunday routine ever since I found it on youtube back in the day.

JohnnyGold
09-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Ditto.

I feel like I'm as big a zealot there is as a Bills fan but I'm lower than the shadow of a snake compared to the glory of Superfan Mark Miller.

This video has been part of my Sunday routine ever since I found it on youtube back in the day.

We should sign him tonight and get him on the line tomorrow.

That alone in the offensive huddle would be worth 2 or 3 more wins this season.

I bet he'd give EJ a little longer to sit in the pocket lol

Skooby
09-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Miller needs a place on the wall, near the urine tub.

JoeMama
09-07-2014, 04:51 PM
See guys?

Sometimes our reasons for optimism are incredibly accurate.

This played out exactly as planned.

Let an opportunistic D get some sacks/turnovers, hope EJ is efficient and take what the D gives him, and win a close one on the road.

Lo and behold. We are 1-0.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-07-2014, 05:06 PM
See guys?

Sometimes our reasons for optimism are incredibly accurate.

This played out exactly as planned.

Let an opportunistic D get some sacks/turnovers, hope EJ is efficient and take what the D gives him, and win a close one on the road.

Lo and behold. We are 1-0.
i could not be happier to be wrong and eat crow. hopefully this is the start of good things

justasportsfan
09-07-2014, 05:14 PM
:lolpoint:

don137
09-07-2014, 05:23 PM
While I think EJ had many inaccurate throws I think the great receptions the receivers had should give him more confidence in trusting his receivers going forward.