PDA

View Full Version : Report: HC Marrone didn't want to sign Orton

SpikedLemonade
09-06-2014, 10:13 AM
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that coach Doug Marrone's frustration with the Bills' front office stems from their decision to sign Kyle Orton.

Marrone believes the Orton signing, so close to the season, may "shake E.J. Manuel's already fragile confidence." Marrone's feelings are not without merit, but the front office is trying to maintain job security, and clearly feels Orton was a superior backup option to Jeff Tuel. Although the up-top friction with the Bills can't possibly bode well, Manuel remains their biggest problem.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/05/marrones-frustration-arises-from-orton-signing/)

The above, if true, may confuse the Marrone apologists.

Turf
09-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I really think that's pure speculation in trying to make a story.

Novacane
09-06-2014, 10:35 AM
If EJ's confidence is that fragile he'll never make it anyway.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 10:46 AM
These incessant rumors read like something off TMZ. It's all wives tales until we can get our hands on something factual.

And if we were to take this gossip at face value, it would be a terrible omen for EJ Manuel... like Novacane said.

If EJ Manuel has fragile confidence, that reeks of Tim Couch 2.0.

You gotta have an ego of some sort to be a standout NFL QB. Jim Kelly would throw a pick and say **** it, let's go get them on the next series. Or if a receiver dropped an easy pass, he'd go right back to the same receiver just to make a point. Kelly wasn't rattled by mistakes. He knew they were part of the game and didn't fall prey to crippling self doubt.

If Marrone is concerned about EJ's feelings, and I doubt that, that's also bad news.

GreedoII
09-06-2014, 11:38 AM
EJ is terrible

YardRat
09-06-2014, 11:44 AM
A league source told me Marrone was pissed because there wasn't enough fruit available for lunches during training camp.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 11:47 AM
A league source told me Marrone was pissed because there wasn't enough fruit available for lunches during training camp.

"YOU CALL THIS A FRUIT SALAD WITHOUT ANY ****ING KIWI??? JUST GO AHEAD AND FIRE ME NOW BECAUSE I CAN'T WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS!!!"

Buffalogic
09-06-2014, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJTNDprmwk

SpikedLemonade
09-06-2014, 12:07 PM
So am I to gather from these comments that there is no possibility that the report is accurate?

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 12:17 PM
So am I to gather from these comments that there is no possibility that the report is accurate?

It's not implausible, but I do find it odd Doug Marrone would care how much money was spent on Kyle Orton.

He's not the team accountant, he's the coach. And the money the FO invested in Kraig Urbik didn't stop Marrone from burying him on the depth chart. Nor did high 2nd round investment the FO made in KWANJO didn't stop Marrone from burying him on the depth chart either.

And again, if Marrone is concerned about Manuel's "fragile" state of confidence, then we're ****ed anyway and none of this conjecture matters.

NFL QBs need confidence like knives need a whetstone. They're not sharp without it.

JoeMama
09-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Also SL I just noticed your link didn't mention the part about Orton's contract. I read that in a related article.

Marrone was not happy about the addition of Orton and his $5 million salary believing that the deal could have a negative impact on second-year quarterback E.J. Manuel who will enter the season as the Bills starter.

http://tireball.com/nfl/2014/09/05/bills-rift-between-coach-and-front-office-is-due-to-kyle-orton-signing/

DynaPaul
09-06-2014, 01:21 PM
I'd be more inclined to believe that he was angry because they DIDN'T sign Orton.

OLDSRIP
09-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Signing Palmer would have made me mad.

who even knows when this argument happened?

streetkings01
09-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Wasn't the Marrone/front office blowup like 3 weeks ago? At the time of the blowup Dixon, Tuel
and Thad were still on the active roster so Orton wasn't even here yet!

Mr. Pink
09-06-2014, 02:04 PM
If this is true, who knows, Orton won't see the field unless Manuel gets hurt.

So we'll see the validity to this one if EJ Manuel looks like he did in preseason for a few weeks.

Turf
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
There's also a typo in the article making you wonder who proofed it. Secondly, I would think Marrone would want Orton on the team instead of the garbage he had. It's a stretch, I'm not buying it.

BertSquirtgum
09-06-2014, 02:53 PM
I wish they would have fired Marrone when he told them too. That would have been great. He is an awful coach with an awful lisp.

swiper
09-06-2014, 03:21 PM
If EJ's confidence is that fragile he'll never make it anyway.

Confidence or not, he's not a good QB.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish they would have fired Marrone when he told them too. That would have been great. He is an awful coach with an awful lisp.

He talks with one. You think with one.

Mike
09-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Coach & QB both Such!
Homers.... You blew it again!
Chip Kelly and many if the other hires a few years back look way way better!

FO also blew it! They had a hard on for Marron & EJ when no one else wanted them!

A Good FO would have hired better coaches and would have had drafted a better QB!

Mike
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
They all need to lie on the bed they set for themselves and all those homer fans who were too stupid can lie along side then until they fully realize what a **** sandwich tast like.

You want to see what a good team looks like? Check Seattle or Denver out!

BertSquirtgum
09-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Confidence or not, he's not a good QB.

- - - Updated - - -

He talks with one. You think with one.

Brilliant burn guy. Just brilliant. I'm marveling over your stupidity.

swiper
09-06-2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.bullshift.net/data/images/2014/02/goodius-zzmmjitc1-gif-pagespeed-ce-jbyl7cpure.gif

BillsImpossible
09-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Less than 18 hours to go!

justasportsfan
09-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Coach & QB both Such!
Homers.... You blew it again!
Chip Kelly and many if the other hires a few years back look way way better!

FO also blew it! They had a hard on for Marron & EJ when no one else wanted them!

A Good FO would have hired better coaches and would have had drafted a better QB!

.. Bills did interview Chip but he couldn't make up his mind to stay in college. Kelly finally decided to go to the NFL after Marrone was already hired

Rumor too is Chip wanted EJ since he tried to get him in college

Meathead
09-06-2014, 07:02 PM
why in the world would marrone not want orton?

he said point blank he was not happy with the backup situation. if your gm goes out and gets you by far the best veteran qb option thats out there you would be kissing that brown face every ten minutes for an hour

even if you were worried about ejs confidence, at that point it pales in comparison to the problem youd have if ej went down. i mean you arent going to have to worry about ej manual very much longer if youre forced to start qbs you arent happy with

marrone had to be doing cartwheels getting orton at this point. i mean orton is no great shakes, but when the next best option is jordan mother freakin palmer then orton looks like christ jesus walking into the room

that report makes no damn sense at all.

Mace
09-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Wasn't the Marrone/front office blowup like 3 weeks ago? At the time of the blowup Dixon, Tuel
and Thad were still on the active roster so Orton wasn't even here yet!

That was the first blowup on the practice field, the day Jordan Palmer first practiced. Supposedly the second blow up in the facility that they say didn't happen was over Orton.

I suppose my thought is that something did happen in the facility in front of too many people to keep it quiet, and somewhere in there whoever tattled heard "Orton". Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't tattle to LaCanfora, I'd tattle to IncBob for the funny of it or to Jerry Sullivan because he'd go ape**** crazy.

As unhappy as I am with Marrone these days though, he'd have to be an idiot to be upset about Orton who is probably the one available QB that might rescue him and Boy Hackett and I'm not prepared to label him a full blown idiot yet.

If I were going to speculate, maybe he was upset it took so long to sign Orton and it came up as part of the rest of the argument they didn't have, and the first blow up was because he was unhappy getting Jordan Palmer instead because he probably knew they'd been talking to Orton.

Wild guess, but first one was "Palmer, you gave me Palmer ? I thought we were getting Orton, what am I supposed to do with Palmer ?", and in the second it was close to "you finally got Orton, a week before the season starts ?"

Mike
09-06-2014, 08:42 PM
.. Bills did interview Chip but he couldn't make up his mind to stay in college. Kelly finally decided to go to the NFL after Marrone was already hired

Rumor too is Chip wanted EJ since he tried to get him in college

Bills decided on Marrone well before interviewing anyone else. From day one, he was their clear choice and if it was that obvious to me, imagine how much more obvious it was to people in the know.

Chip Kelly was a hot candidate who was looking to 'win' in the right situation. He's the typical boom or bust coach. An offensive mastermind who revolutionized the game at the college level.

Courting high level talent like Kelly requires finesse, it requires a good FO, and an organization willing to WIN & Pay Market Rate. The Bills were never planing on being any of the above.

Look at the Salaries of the Bills last 3 coaches and then compare them to the best recent college candidates to join NFL : Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, & Pete Carroll. Compare the Bills FO to the best in the business in dollars and cents.

You will surely see that the Bills are cheap where it matters most!

Mace
09-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Bills decided on Marrone well before interviewing anyone else. From day one, he was their clear choice and if it was that obvious to me, imagine how much more obvious it was to people in the know.

Chip Kelly was a hot candidate who was looking to 'win' in the right situation. He's the typical boom or bust coach. An offensive mastermind who revolutionized the game at the college level.

Courting high level talent like Kelly requires finesse, it requires a good FO, and an organization willing to WIN & Pay Market Rate. The Bills were never planing on being any of the above.

Look at the Salaries of the Bills last 3 coaches and then compare them to the best recent college candidates to join NFL : Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, & Pete Carroll. Compare the Bills FO to the best in the business in dollars and cents.

I just don't think Kelly, Harbaugh or Carroll come anywhere near the job no matter what it pays, they can pick and choose certain situations based on a variety of factors. For that matter, I'm not really sure Marrone was a bad hire, it smacked of solid to me, he just wasn't prepared and fell back on comfortable. Everyone seems to assume that someone not wanting to come here is our fault when most often it was that someone's personal choice.

On a diff board, I repeatedly got into arguments about Cowher when they hired Gailey. We didn't throw enough money at him, we're cheap ! His wife and the mother of his children was dying of cancer. It wasn't about money to Cowher. Carroll and Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast, Kelly stepped into a better situation. He had Foles/Vick, Peters, Jackson, McCoy, Cooper, Celek, Ryans, Chung, and Barwin to help through his first year. Philly wasn't a terrible team, Reid had just lost them.

I just don't see it in this case as being about cheap. Awful lot of cheaper people we didn't sign. You just can't assume it's our fault when people don't want to come here without knowing what they want in a job. There was a great gnashing of teeth we didn't hire Shanahan too, didn't throw enough money at him. Oh he was awesome in Washington with the QB we didn't get (Griffin), the OC we didn't get (little Shanny), the DC we didn't get (Haslett), and the DL monster we didn't get (Haynesworth) because we were too cheap.

Night Train
09-07-2014, 05:59 AM
That is completely wrong.

It was Marrone that demanded Orton weeks back, according to someone I know who talks to Marrone.

More examples of how many false stories are out there in the media.

sudzy
09-07-2014, 06:01 AM
That is completely wrong.

It was Marrone that demanded Orton weeks back, according to someone I know who talks to Marrone.

More examples of how many false stories are out there in the media.

And so the notorious "my inside source" makes his regular season debut.

Night Train
09-07-2014, 06:04 AM
And so the notorious "my inside source" makes his regular season debut.

And a good one at that.He has something many here don't have. Knowledge...instead of diarrhea of the mouth.

Famous Amos
09-07-2014, 06:31 AM
A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that coach Doug Marrone's frustration with the Bills' front office stems from their decision to sign Kyle Orton.

Marrone believes the Orton signing, so close to the season, may "shake E.J. Manuel's already fragile confidence." Marrone's feelings are not without merit, but the front office is trying to maintain job security, and clearly feels Orton was a superior backup option to Jeff Tuel. Although the up-top friction with the Bills can't possibly bode well, Manuel remains their biggest problem.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/05/marrones-frustration-arises-from-orton-signing/)

The above, if true, may confuse the Marrone apologists.

It doesn't, surprise me. Marrone is a player's coach. He seems like the guy who is invested in his players as young men who are maturing, growing up and developing into NFL veterans. He was emphatic about supporting Dareus through his troubles and seems to have grown his relationship with mike Williams.

Famous Amos
09-07-2014, 06:40 AM

Yeah man, it dawned on me recently that a floundering team like the Seattle Seahawks go out and sign the best college coach in Pete Carroll and the ****ers win the supper bowl. San Franciso signs a great college head coach in Jim Harbaugh and they become an instant contender. Buffalo signs the head coach from Syracuse, who hasnt been relevant since Donovan McNabb. Then they drafted great quarterbacks and the Bills go out on a limb for EJ Manuel. This organization can't get it right.

Famous Amos
09-07-2014, 06:50 AM
I just don't think Kelly, Harbaugh or Carroll come anywhere near the job no matter what it pays, they can pick and choose certain situations based on a variety of factors. For that matter, I'm not really sure Marrone was a bad hire, it smacked of solid to me, he just wasn't prepared and fell back on comfortable. Everyone seems to assume that someone not wanting to come here is our fault when most often it was that someone's personal choice.

On a diff board, I repeatedly got into arguments about Cowher when they hired Gailey. We didn't throw enough money at him, we're cheap ! His wife and the mother of his children was dying of cancer. It wasn't about money to Cowher. Carroll and Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast, Kelly stepped into a better situation. He had Foles/Vick, Peters, Jackson, McCoy, Cooper, Celek, Ryans, Chung, and Barwin to help through his first year. Philly wasn't a terrible team, Reid had just lost them.

I just don't see it in this case as being about cheap. Awful lot of cheaper people we didn't sign. You just can't assume it's our fault when people don't want to come here without knowing what they want in a job. There was a great gnashing of teeth we didn't hire Shanahan too, didn't throw enough money at him. Oh he was awesome in Washington with the QB we didn't get (Griffin), the OC we didn't get (little Shanny), the DC we didn't get (Haslett), and the DL monster we didn't get (Haynesworth) because we were too cheap.

On the flip side, Carroll was a medicore coach in the NFL prior to coaching at USC. And then there was some questionable things he did at USC. Who's to say he was going to succeed with the Seahawks based on his prior experience in the NFL. Dude was 33-31 in the NFL, pretty similar to Doug Marrone's record. Chip Kelly was said to be a gimmick head coach, boom or bust type of guy; Rex Ryan 2.0. Harbaugh had two lousy years followed by two very good years at Stanford. The difference between Kelly, Harbaugh and Carroll was the talent they had in college compared to Marrone. Who's to say if Marrone had coached at Stanford, he may have had similar results as Harbaugh did.

Famous Amos
09-07-2014, 06:52 AM
replied to wrong thread.

better days
09-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Maybe so, but they won't be cheap for much longer.

Pegula will SPEND!

DraftBoy
09-07-2014, 07:24 AM
What an unmitigated disaster. At this point the validity of the reports is second to the sheer number. Its a large distraction for this team.

better days
09-07-2014, 07:38 AM
What an unmitigated disaster. At this point the validity of the reports is second to the sheer number. Its a large distraction for this team.

I doubt the team pays any attention to this crap.

DraftBoy
09-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I doubt the team pays any attention to this crap.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

better days
09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree.

GREAT. But if you think the Coaches or players are listening to any of this crap instead of focusing on the Bears, you are deluded.

The media & message boards have little/no impact on the Coaches or players.

DraftBoy
09-07-2014, 09:25 AM
GREAT. But if you think the Coaches or players are listening to any of this crap instead of focusing on the Bears, you are deluded.

Ok...

djjimkelly
09-07-2014, 10:23 AM
guys EJ is the starter get used to it. im not 100 % behind ej i have no clue if hes good enough but lets see for a full season if he is useless or not

lets for once let a qb besides no talent fitzpatrick start all 16 games.

and yes marrone is behind EJ 100%

Mike
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM

You have some valid points. Mostly the Best coaching candidates want great opportunity and a Great Organization and the Bills are neither!

Kelly, Harbaugh, Carroll etc... We're top candidates and the Bills would have had to really throw the kitchen sink at them to get them. They would have had to promise $$$, power, and a dedication to Win!

BTW: Settle, 49ers, & Philli were worst teams - both record wise and according to the homers- than the Bills in the years they joined their respective franchises.

*The Key Factors at the end of the day are money spent on FO, GM, & Coaches and Buffalo's dedication to Winning at ALL Costs. Bills couldn't seduce the top coaches to join.

Mike
09-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Yeah man, it dawned on me recently that a floundering team like the Seattle Seahawks go out and sign the best college coach in Pete Carroll and the ****ers win the supper bowl. San Franciso signs a great college head coach in Jim Harbaugh and they become an instant contender. Buffalo signs the head coach from Syracuse, who hasnt been relevant since Donovan McNabb. Then they drafted great quarterbacks and the Bills go out on a limb for EJ Manuel. This organization can't get it right.

I'm not so sure they were trying to. Heck most of us fans knew EJ was a high risk reach. Often, I think the Bills were playing the money games instead of football games. I hope the new owner changes all of this

Forward_Lateral
09-07-2014, 03:54 PM

You get your ass kicked guys with lisps every day.

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
This report is crap. They looked pretty chummy talking to each other on the sideline today.

- - - Updated - - -

You get your ass kicked guys with lisps every day.

Hahaha. Really? Where at? Sounds you must have a bad lisp as well. I'm sorry.

better days
09-08-2014, 07:15 AM

Looks like I was right.

The Bills were FOCUSED for this game.