PDA

View Full Version : I'm still worried how EJ throws the balls that high.

TakingItuptheChin
09-07-2014, 05:34 PM
He could get those receivers killed. Woods was very lucky the Bears defensive back missed what should have been a neck breaking hit to Woods. EJ played a good game today, can't deny thatl But Ill bet Orton wouldn't leave receivers to hang like that.

justasportsfan
09-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I'll take one step at a time. He was willing to throw it and let the receivers make a play.

Ingtar33
09-07-2014, 06:01 PM
last year he was throwing picks on those passes... or simply wouldn't throw the seam routes at all. Those two passes (as bad and dangerous as they were) were the only passes he threw all day that made me think he was making progress over last year.

Meathead
09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
during live play i coulda swore that big grab by mike williams was tipped. i mean maybe the black lumberjack wants the balls to be high but cmon that was a floating balloon ej lobbed up. it got there but it scared the crap outta me waiting for it to come down

starrymessenger
09-07-2014, 07:10 PM
last year he was throwing picks on those passes... or simply wouldn't throw the seam routes at all. Those two passes (as bad and dangerous as they were) were the only passes he threw all day that made me think he was making progress over last year.
You're right. I thought he was maybe less inaccurate, had the right area code at least on his downfield throws.
What I did like a lot was he didn't fumble or have any plays where he really looked back.
He failed to account for Conti coming across on the pick. I don't hold that against him. Stuff happens. Nobody is perfect. Just ask Brady or Romo.

YardRat
09-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Should've been 15 yards added on to the one Woods catch, the safety lead with his helmet, and clipped Woods in the head.

ICRockets
09-07-2014, 07:31 PM
I think to an extent these guys want the balls high where they need to make a play on it. It's definitely Mike Williams' M.O., but Woods is the kind of receiver we were promised when everyone harped about Chris Hogan "7-11" last preseason. Bobby Woods catches god damn everything, and I love it. And while it is definitely still worrisome to see as fans, the reality is that the NFL is starting to do a good job of changing the culture around defenseless receivers. DBs really do, for the most part, seem to be adjusting their playstyle; as a result, the "he's gonna get them hurt" meme loses a little lustre.

What I want to see more of is better decision-making on the read option. A couple times he handed it off when keeping it would have garnered soem nice yardage. But since EJ Manuel has played only 11 regular season games in this league, I'm not hugely worried. Today's game showed us very clearly that even our most consistent criticisms of #3 may not be as valid as we anticipated, and that's definitely cause for a modicum of optimism.