PDA

View Full Version : Did we just go from bottom 3 to top 4 in wealth ?

Skooby
09-09-2014, 02:17 PM
In one fail swoop? If so, what does this means in terms of things we can do now that we weren't able to do before ?

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 02:18 PM
The NFL has a salary cap.

So not much...

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:21 PM

So not much...

True... But there is no salary cap for Front Office Personnel, Coaching Staff, etc... In that aspect, it makes a big difference.

-Bill

jimmifli
09-09-2014, 02:22 PM

So not much...
We haven't spent to the cap in over a decade. We consistently hire first time coaches, GMs and co-ordinators.

Fixing those two shortcomings would have prevented a 14 year playoff drought.

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
True... But there is no salary cap for Front Office Personnel, Coaching Staff, etc... In that aspect, it makes a big difference.

-Bill

That will be Kim Pegulas show!!!

I'm happy the team will stay in Buffalo...But Terry's wife playing football exec makes me nervous.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:27 PM

I'm happy the team will stay in Buffalo...But Terry's wife playing football exec makes me nervous.

More nervous than Russ Brandon and the other ex-owner's cronies doing it? Because after 14 plus years, I'm personally ready for a change in that department...

Also, as I said in other threads, my bet is, you'll never hear the term "cash to the cap" used again.

-Bill

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 02:29 PM
More nervous than Russ Brandon and the other ex-owner's cronies doing it? Because after 14 plus years, I'm personally ready for a change in that department...

Also, as I said in other threads, my bet is, you'll never hear the term "cash to the cap" used again.

-Bill

She's a rich guys wife.

What's her football back round?

Novacane
09-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Don't worry about it. I heard she's won her fantasy league 3 years in a row!

trapezeus
09-09-2014, 02:32 PM
first, "one fell swoop"

second, the value of the team isn't based on the owner's overall wealth.

third, the pegulas went through a consultant to be positioned to win the bid and to have a packet that is desirable for the NFL. I would suspect, much like politics, if your guy is elected you go from campaign manager to chief of staff if you want it. i think if its terry or kim, they have a group of people who are advising them on who to hire and how to go about business based on their long career in football and pro sports.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:35 PM
She's a rich guys wife.

What was Russ Brandon's? What was Linda Bogdan's?

Maybe she'll be smart enough to hire football people and let them do their jobs, instead of hiring her daughter or the Florida Marlins marketing guy to run things.

-Bill

Skooby
09-09-2014, 02:39 PM
After 14 years of pure crap, she can hire folks with better game plans.

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 02:46 PM
What was Russ Brandon's? What was Linda Bogdan's?

Maybe she'll be smart enough to hire football people and let them do their jobs, instead of hiring her daughter or the Florida Marlins marketing guy to run things.

-Bill

That's the whole point!!!

Albany,n.y.
09-09-2014, 02:48 PM
We haven't spent to the cap in over a decade. We consistently hire first time coaches, GMs and co-ordinators.

Fixing those two shortcomings would have prevented a 14 year playoff drought.

Actually, the problem with coaches was just the opposite before Marrone. We hired Jauron after the Lions had fired him from his DC/interim coaching job (and were recycling him from his Chicago HC days) and hired former Cowboys HC Gailey after he had been fired as OC of KC in preseason. Neither was a 1st time NFL head coach & both had been recently let go from lesser positions. So we had 7 of those 14 years with non-1st time head coaches.

WagonCircler
09-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Just like I had a feeling about Pegula while Ralph was still alive, I have a feeling about Bill Polian. C.E.O.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:55 PM
That's the whole point!!!

Let me put it this way:

Back in 2010, when the Bills were looking for a head coach, we heard all these rumors about Brandon meeting with Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher and how the ex-owner was willing to pay $10 million for a head coach... We ended up with Chan Gailey.

Personally, I laughed at the whole thing, because I knew there was little to no chance that a Shanahan or Cowher would be the next head coach, nor did I believe that the ex-owner would pay $10 million for a head coach.

Now, if I hear a story like this with Pegula as the owner, I'm much more inclined to believe it.

-Bill

Skooby
09-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Let me put it this way:

Back in 2010, when the Bills were looking for a head coach, we heard all these rumors about Brandon meeting with Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher and how the ex-owner was willing to pay $10 million for a head coach... We ended up with Chan Gailey.

Personally, I laughed at the whole thing, because I knew there was little to no chance that a Shanahan or Cowher would be the next head coach, nor did I believe that the ex-owner would pay $10 million for a head coach.

Now, if I hear a story like this with Pegula as the owner, I'm much more inclined to believe it.

-Bill

Those coaches peripheral staff that'll be requested will cost a fortune as well, that's what gets owners to balk. We probably won't have a coach seat only plane we borrow from Delta as well, it'll be a new custom jet to fly us to our next win. Think the players know the difference between 1st class & coach, being Millionaires and all ? Heck we can actually pay the Jills what they're owed & have them be stewardesses on our plane.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Those coaches peripheral staff that'll be requested will cost a fortune as well, that's what gets owners to balk.

Maybe it got the ex-owner to balk, but I don't think that'll be the case going forward... I mean, the guy just paid between $1.2 and $1.4 BILLION for the franchise... I don't think paying for coaches is gonna be an issue.

Let me ask this: If Pegula owned the team in 2010, do the Bills hire Chan Gailey? My vote would be no.

-Bill

better days
09-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Think of the marketing possibilities.

Pegula can have schedules arranged both in Buffalo & other Cities that have both an NFL & NHL team such as New York, Boston, Miami, Tampa, etc.

You Come to Buffalo, catch a Sabres game on Friday & the Bills on Sunday.

You go to NYC, Boston, Fla, same deal, A Sabres /Bills away package deal.

jimmifli
09-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Actually, the problem with coaches was just the opposite before Marrone. We hired Jauron after the Lions had fired him from his DC/interim coaching job (and were recycling him from his Chicago HC days) and hired former Cowboys HC Gailey after he had been fired as OC of KC in preseason. Neither was a 1st time NFL head coach & both had been recently let go from lesser positions. So we had 7 of those 14 years with non-1st time head coaches.
They were both among the lowest paid coaches and filled their staff with lots of 1st timers.

Prior to that cheap first timers. The last guy in the front office we paid market price was Donahoe.

Ed
09-09-2014, 03:19 PM
She's a rich guys wife.

I don't know, but it's not like she's going to make herself head of scouting.

better days
09-09-2014, 03:27 PM
first, "one fell swoop"

third, the pegulas went through a consultant to be positioned to win the bid and to have a packet that is desirable for the NFL. I would suspect, much like politics, if your guy is elected you go from campaign manager to chief of staff if you want it. i think if its terry or kim, they have a group of people who are advising them on who to hire and how to go about business based on their long career in football and pro sports.

I think Mitch was talking about the wealth of the owner, not the value of the team.

Skooby
09-09-2014, 03:37 PM
I think Mitch was talking about the wealth of the owner, not the value of the team.

Yeah, I am talking about making things more towards first class and the ability to do that with cash. Terry top-shelved the Sabres real quick, so everything being equal....

trapezeus
09-09-2014, 03:41 PM

i read it as did we go from a low value as a team to a high value. and that's where my answer came from.

better days
09-09-2014, 03:48 PM
i read it as did we go from a low value as a team to a high value. and that's where my answer came from.

I think we can all agree, Dallas, N.E., both New Jersey teams, Chicago, Atlanta will always have more worth than the Bills as a team.

BuffaloRedleg
09-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Just like I had a feeling about Pegula while Ralph was still alive, I have a feeling about Bill Polian. C.E.O.

That would be ****ing amazing.

Famous Amos
09-09-2014, 04:32 PM
In one fail swoop? If so, what does this means in terms of things we can do now that we weren't able to do before ?
fell.. this is far from a fail.

Skooby
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
fell.. this is far from a fail.

Auto-correct is such a pain sometimes but it's funny.

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2014, 05:41 PM
She's a rich guys wife.

It is all good until the video comes out on you.

I look forward to her sex tape.

swiper
09-09-2014, 05:44 PM
It is all good until the video comes out on you.

I look forward to her sex tape.

She's not Jamaican. You may be in for a letdown.

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2014, 05:50 PM
She's not Jamaican. You may be in for a letdown.

She is pasty white and over 20 years younger than her husband. Maybe she will bring a Jamaican man into her video. Terry looks more like a watcher.

better days
09-09-2014, 05:52 PM
She is pasty white and over 20 years younger than her husband. Maybe she will bring a Jamaican man into her video. Terry looks more like a watcher.

It is obvious you have never seen a picture of Kim Pegula.

Pretty she is, white she isn't.

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2014, 06:10 PM
It is obvious you have never seen a picture of Kim Pegula.

Pretty she is, white she isn't.

Asian?

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Asian?

http://www.buffalonews.com/storyimage/BN/20130619/SPORTS/130619071/AR/0/AR-130619071.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

-Bill

Discotrish
09-09-2014, 06:16 PM
first, "one fell swoop"

I thought Fail Swoop was cute.

This means the Bills remain in Buffalo for the End Times. Nice!

Patti