PDA

View Full Version : Pegula's Statement

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:25 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wilson-trust-reaches-definitive-agreement-with-Pegula-family/b00d5820-fe52-4255-a2f5-50943235f6e9

“Kim and I are humbled and honored that the Wilson family has chosen us to be the second owner of the Buffalo Bills. Pending the NFL approval process, being the next owner of the Buffalo Bills would be a great privilege for our family. Ralph Wilson left an indelible mark on our community and we will strive every day to honor his legacy.

Our interest in owning the Bills has everything to do with the people of Western New York and our passion for football. We have knowledgeable, dedicated fans here and along with our ownership of the Buffalo Sabres, it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.

We are grateful to Senator Chuck Schumer and Governor Andrew Cuomo for their support and desire to keep our Bills in Western New York where they belong and to our team of professional advisors at Allen & Company and Sherrard, German & Kelly. We would also like to thank the staffs of the NFL and the Bills for helping to guide us through the sale process. We now look ahead to the NFL review process in accordance with League policy. If awarded final approval, we will be driven to achieve a singular goal: To win a Super Bowl for our fans.

Out of respect for the continuing sale process, until League approval is attained, we will have no further comment.”

Here's the bolded again:

If awarded final approval, we will be driven to achieve a singular goal: To win a Super Bowl for our fans.

Did the ex-owner EVER make that statement...? I can't ever recall that being A goal, let alone the SINGULAR goal.

-Bill

Novacane
09-09-2014, 02:27 PM
it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Meh.....He said the same thing when he bought the Sabres.

The only reason the Sabres exist is to win the Stanley Cup...:drunks:

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Get back to me when he owns the Sabres or Bills for 54 years without a Cup or a Super Bowl Trophy... Or hell, when either miss the playoffs for 14 consecutive seasons.

Some gave the ex-owner a pass for that long, I think Pegula at least deserves a 5th of that time to start showing results.

On top of that, the point stands... When was it ever even a goal for the ex-owner...?

-Bill

Canadian'eh!
09-09-2014, 02:39 PM
He went into owning the Sabres and spent big money and did give a try. The team wasn't in great shape though. I think they are in a full on tank a couple years for high pick and then add some better FA's mode. The Bills are closer to being a good team and it's easier to "fix an NFL team because players have such short careers and other factors.

Night Train
09-09-2014, 03:34 PM

and another troll achieves Ignore status

Bye bye

Fletch
09-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Get back to me when he owns the Sabres or Bills for 54 years without a Cup or a Super Bowl Trophy... Or hell, when either miss the playoffs for 14 consecutive seasons.

Some gave the ex-owner a pass for that long, I think Pegula at least deserves a 5th of that time to start showing results.

On top of that, the point stands... When was it ever even a goal for the ex-owner...?

-Bill

****, at this point I'll be happy just to have a competitive team on the field that's legitimately capable of beating any team in the league and usually favored to do so.

Let's just hope that he doesn't fall back on Wilson's legacy of front office talent evaluation. Let's hope he fumigates at OBD and installs his own FO.

better days
09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wilson-trust-reaches-definitive-agreement-with-Pegula-family/b00d5820-fe52-4255-a2f5-50943235f6e9

Here's the bolded again:

Did the ex-owner EVER make that statement...? I can't ever recall that being A goal, let alone the SINGULAR goal.

-Bill

Pretty sure Ralph said something similar when the Bills & the AFL started up.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure Ralph said something similar when the Bills & the AFL started up.

The Super Bowl didn't even exist when the AFL started up.

The AFL was around for nearly a decade before the leagues even merged... That was around the time that the ex-owner was threatening to move the team to Seattle, IIRC.

-Bill

Turf
09-09-2014, 04:24 PM
it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.

That says it all for me. And they won't cringe about spending to win either.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 04:26 PM
****, at this point I'll be happy just to have a competitive team on the field that's legitimately capable of beating any team in the league and usually favored to do so.

Let's just hope that he doesn't fall back on Wilson's legacy of front office talent evaluation. Let's hope he fumigates at OBD and installs his own FO.

I'm pretty confident that that will be the case... My take on Pegula is that, while he respects the past, he wants his own legacy, even if he has to pay a significant amount of money in order to get it.

-Bill

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 04:29 PM
That says it all for me. And they won't cringe about spending to win either.

Yep. No more "just happy to have a team" bull****. Results on the field are the new bar being set.

I don't watch a lot of NHL, but that might change... This is the kind of guy I'd like to see succeed on the football field and on the ice.

-Bill

YardRat
09-09-2014, 04:31 PM
You're gaining ground on OP and Fletch...give it a rest already.

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 04:57 PM
You're gaining ground on OP and Fletch...give it a rest already.

Yeah, God forbid some want more from this team that to simply exist in WNY... Some Bills fans still set the bar higher than that, I'm sorry to see that some are just content with mediocrity, as long as they have a team.

-Bill

Downinfloflo
09-09-2014, 05:08 PM
and another troll achieves Ignore status

Bye bye

Before or after you blow Mr Pegula?

YardRat
09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, God forbid some want more from this team that to simply exist in WNY... Some Bills fans still set the bar higher than that, I'm sorry to see that some are just content with mediocrity, as long as they have a team.

-Bill

We all want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. Well, the vast majority of us anyway, except the obvious few. To insinuate otherwise is just being an *******.

Let the man rest in peace and move on...the history bell has been rung, nobody can un-ring in, and the only direction to look is forward. We can do that because Ralph guaranteed we would have that opportunity, despite some posters consistent reluctance to accept the facts.

swiper
09-09-2014, 05:33 PM

-Bill

No, but Pegula very publicly offered the Sabres fans a "three year plan" to get back to the play-offs in 2011 when he bought the team. Instead, in 3 years he gave Sabres fans the worst team they have ever had in club history.

swiper
09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Before or after you blow Mr Pegula?

The night train to the toilet bowl.

better days
09-09-2014, 05:43 PM
The Super Bowl didn't even exist when the AFL started up.

The AFL was around for nearly a decade before the leagues even merged... That was around the time that the ex-owner was threatening to move the team to Seattle, IIRC.

-Bill

I said something SIMILAR.

Do you know what that word means?

Something comparable, but NOT EXACTLY alike.

There was no Super Bowl until a couple years after the AFL & NFL merged.

But the AFL did have a CHAMPIONSHIP game which the Bills WON TWICE!

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
No, but Pegula very publicly offered the Sabres fans a "three year plan" to get back to the play-offs in 2011 when he bought the team. Instead, in 3 years he gave Sabres fans the worst team they have ever had in club history.

That's fine, but I bet if the Sabres or Bills have a 14 year playoff drought under Pegula, the Front Office guys won't be getting promoted during "regime changes".

I'm also guessing we won't be hearing Pegula complain about Buffalo being a small market, selling games to another country to pocket money, or being tens of millions of dollars under the salary cap year after year after year after year...

Fine, his "three year plan" didn't work. Just keep in mind, that's just under a fifth of how long it's been since the Bills have been in the playoffs.

-Bill

BLeonard
09-09-2014, 06:04 PM
I said something SIMILAR.

Do you know what that word means?

Something comparable, but NOT EXACTLY alike.

There was no Super Bowl until a couple years after the AFL & NFL merged.

But the AFL did have a CHAMPIONSHIP game which the Bills WON TWICE!

That's fine. Got a link that something "similar" was said? Or, is it just what you think?

I also wouldn't compare an AFL Championship to a Super Bowl win. There were 8 teams in the AFL, where there were 14 in the NFL, nearly double the amount.

The Cubs won the World Series in 1907 and 1908, but I'm guessing not many would say those titles were comparable to World Series won in the modern era.

-Bill

swiper
09-09-2014, 06:19 PM
That's fine, but I bet if the Sabres or Bills have a 14 year playoff drought under Pegula, the Front Office guys won't be getting promoted during "regime changes".

I'm also guessing we won't be hearing Pegula complain about Buffalo being a small market, selling games to another country to pocket money, or being tens of millions of dollars under the salary cap year after year after year after year...

Fine, his "three year plan" didn't work. Just keep in mind, that's just under a fifth of how long it's been since the Bills have been in the playoffs.

-Bill

:cheers:

Fair enough.

casdhf
09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
And look what he built around the Sabres. It's impressive.

swiper
09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
And look what he built around the Sabres. It's impressive.

Worst team ever.

psubills62
09-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Definitely looking forward to seeing the Bills under his ownership.

TrEd FTW
09-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Worst team ever.

Sam Reinhart, *****. Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel next. And then the ascent begins. Works for me.

WagonCircler
09-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Worst team ever.

That's because Pegula isn't content with perpetual mediocrity, and he has the stones to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it the right way from the ground up.

He is the opposite of what we've seen from the Bills over the past two decades.

swiper
09-09-2014, 11:45 PM
That's because Pegula isn't content with perpetual mediocrity, and he has the stones to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it the right way from the ground up.

He is the opposite of what we've seen from the Bills over the past two decades.

I don't know where you got that. It's magical thinking on the level of your buddy, better days. He's never shown you otherwise. If he proves himself, then great. There's not the track record at this point though. So we'll have to wait and see.

Electrici
09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Worst team ever.

The best thing for the Sabres to do was bottom out. If you couldn't see that then you shouldn't be watching hockey nor commenting how a team should be built/run.

I can't predict the future but I feel the Sabres will be competitive in the near future. All teams go through a rebuilding phase eventually.

Crisis
09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Worst team ever.

The Colts had to suffer through a season of crap like Curtis Painter to get Andrew Luck. I'm okay with them bottoming out for talent. The farm is absolutely loaded now and the last piece will come from the next draft.

swiper
09-10-2014, 04:32 AM
The best thing for the Sabres to do was bottom out. If you couldn't see that then you shouldn't be watching hockey nor commenting how a team should be built/run.

I can't predict the future but I feel the Sabres will be competitive in the near future. All teams go through a rebuilding phase eventually.

That's what they told you. You bought it. And that's fine. But they (Pegula) still hasn't delivered anything yet. And if you're counting on getting McDavid, as many fans are, that means more three seasons until these young players mature enough to even hope for a play-off team. You're living on hope and promises. Do they have to do that in Boston?

coastal
09-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Pegs took a Buffalo hockey icon in Pat Lafontaine, set him up high... only to drive a bus right over him.

He's also promoted the ex-Penn State hockey coach into a high level, do nothing role within the Sabres organization. His real role... nothing more than a corporate mole.

as long as things are going well, Murray will have nothing to worry about.

maybe wagon's resume as an oft-traveled night-club bouncer, and previous Kelly family X-mas card receiver would be enough to score him one of those roles for Pegula's Bills?

one can always hope.

better days
09-10-2014, 06:45 AM
That's what they told you. You bought it. And that's fine. But they (Pegula) still hasn't delivered anything yet. And if you're counting on getting McDavid, as many fans are, that means more three seasons until these young players mature enough to even hope for a play-off team. You're living on hope and promises. Do they have to do that in Boston?

Well, hope & promises of Buffalo fans is more than Toronto fans have.

Leafs fan=hopeless.