PDA

View Full Version : Pushing drugs in the NFL locker room

mercyrule
09-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Hill was one of eight former players who filed a class-action lawsuit in May, claiming the NFL illegally issued drugs without prescriptions or warnings about their side effects, mainly to boost profits.

Former Bills defensive end Marcellus Wiley joined the lawsuit, claiming painkillers he took while playing for the San Diego Chargers led to kidney problems. Another ex-Bill, receiver Roscoe Parrish, also has jumped on board.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/pushing-drugs-in-the-nfl-locker-room-20140906

I don't believe a word of this

Ingtar33
09-10-2014, 04:13 PM
technically tylenol/acetaminophen will give you kidney problems if you're given too much of it. And they mix oxycodone with tylenol/acetaminophen to make Percocet... which is perhaps one of the most abused and abundant prescription pain killers out there. Heck go to a hospital and tell them you're in pain and they'll pump you full of the stuff. I have plantar fascitis (basically a bone spur on my heel) and when i was diagnosed the doctor wouldn't let me leave the office without a prescription for Percocet (which ended up going into the trash... i've taken that crap once, all i needed to know i'd never take it again). I've counseled a number of my players about the dangers of prescription pain killers. But i know they get abused roundly in college and pro football.

pmoon6
09-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Good luck to the players lawyers proving it. Looks like a money play by the players hoping the NFL settles to avoid publicity.

mercyrule
09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
technically tylenol/acetaminophen will give you kidney problems if you're given too much of it. And they mix oxycodone with tylenol/acetaminophen to make Percocet... which is perhaps one of the most abused and abundant prescription pain killers out there. Heck go to a hospital and tell them you're in pain and they'll pump you full of the stuff. I have plantar fascitis (basically a bone spur on my heel) and when i was diagnosed the doctor wouldn't let me leave the office without a prescription for Percocet (which ended up going into the trash... i've taken that crap once, all i needed to know i'd never take it again). I've counseled a number of my players about the dangers of prescription pain killers. But i know they get abused roundly in college and pro football.What do they give them that lets them play after breaking/tearing things? Like when they come back out after halftime and are suddenly all better?

k-oneputt
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Jim Kelly would look like superman coming back after halftime.

Ingtar33
09-10-2014, 08:28 PM
What do they give them that lets them play after breaking/tearing things? Like when they come back out after halftime and are suddenly all better?

typically a local anesthetic. those are always delivered as shots and are very temporary. Cortisone can be used on joints (knee mostly) and it will work for a while... that's a nice anti-inflammatory... but it does nothing for the joint itself. Overall, at least in my program we don't let players come back if they need a shot to come back. But i know other programs are much less discriminate about their player's health.

Ingtar33
09-10-2014, 08:31 PM
You do not dope players up on oxycodone and let them play football. that will get someone killed. Those types of painkillers are often given to players after a game~

Fletch
09-11-2014, 07:42 AM
technically tylenol/acetaminophen will give you kidney problems if you're given too much of it. And they mix oxycodone with tylenol/acetaminophen to make Percocet... which is perhaps one of the most abused and abundant prescription pain killers out there. Heck go to a hospital and tell them you're in pain and they'll pump you full of the stuff. I have plantar fascitis (basically a bone spur on my heel) and when i was diagnosed the doctor wouldn't let me leave the office without a prescription for Percocet (which ended up going into the trash... i've taken that crap once, all i needed to know i'd never take it again). I've counseled a number of my players about the dangers of prescription pain killers. But i know they get abused roundly in college and pro football.

All drugs have side effects. The FDA (government) is in bed with the big corporate pharmaceutical syndicate and never looks at enough information prior to check-marking drugs as being OK for the populace. Then years later we see them telling us that it's harmful.

The problem is that people trust that what the FDA say is word. All drugs have side effects, including immunizations.

It's quite likely that taking painkillers in an extended manner can cause a variety of internal issues. Back then less info was available, today there's tons despite the fact that most of it is ignored by the mainstream establishment. People, athletes or not, have to do their own homework.

The problem is that these guys aren't getting paid $300K anymore, they get paid millions, even the most marginal players get paid 7 figures. With that more is expected.

Historian
09-11-2014, 08:18 AM
I believe every word of it.

Ever see North Dallas Forty?

It's based on Peter Gent's book.

Add to that the rules were more liberal about hits out of bounds, etc, and the advent of astroturf, as opposed to real grass.

Only 26 teams. Players had no rights back then.

Think of some of the Bills we lost very young. All athletes in prime condition:

Tom Braxton
Tom Sestak
John Tracy
Bob Chandler
Dean Prater
Kent Hull

It's a long list.