• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Pegulas’ winning bid makes stadium decision less urgent

ALBANY – The decision about whether the Buffalo Bills will get a new stadium, renovate their existing home or keep things as they are for now has become less urgent, now that Terry and Kim Pegula have been announced as the winning bidders for the team.
    That was the consensus of some state and local officials involved in the new stadium review process on Wednesday, a day after the Pegulas were given the nod to buy the team.
    “Now that the Pegulas have won the bid, NFL approval must be secured, and then – with all stakeholders – we can begin to take a look at how we can collectively surmount the challenges to a new stadium that would strengthen the franchise for decades to come,” U.S. Sen. Charles E. Schumer said.
    Pegula, who made his fortune in the natural gas industry, has not stated his thoughts on the stadium issue, or at least not to the county and state officials who have sought information about his intentions.
    A spokesman for Pegula said Wednesday that the businessman, who lives in Boca Raton, Fla., had no comment at this point about stadium matters, citing the ongoing NFL approval process.
    Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz said he talked to Pegula Tuesday to congratulate him and his wife on having their bid accepted by the trust for the estate of late Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., but the stadium issue was not addressed. Poloncarz said he previously offered to sit down with the Pegulas to discuss the Ralph Wilson Stadium’s existing 10-year lease, which is now in its second year.
    “The general response I got back was they were focused on the sale. … They didn’t want to put the horse before the cart (so) they have not indicated to me whether they are interested in a new stadium or are fine at the Ralph,’’ the county executive said.

Agree or disagree.

I still want the stadium push to continue.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Pegulas’ winning bid makes stadium decision less urgent

I agree. What can the NFL do after he's approved? Nothing.

If I were Pegs, I'd buy a construction company and have them build the stadium. He'd save well over the cost of buying the company.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

A new downtown stadium with a retractable roof will be built and we'll be playing in it within 5-7 years.

You heard it here first; no I won't reveal my source.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        Legendary Zoner
        • May 2009

Retractable roof is pointless and a waste of money. Just build a dome.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
          Retractable roof is pointless and a waste of money. Just build a dome.
          A retractable dome would be best. If you have the money to burn, and Pegs does, whether it's a waste of money or not is moot.

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
            A new downtown stadium with a retractable roof will be built and we'll be playing in it within 5-7 years.

You heard it here first; no I won't reveal my source.
            Who's going to pay for it?

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

I don't sense urgency.

I just believe he'll want a dome downtown next to his other interests and the local developers are more than willing to work with him. The area is building up quickly.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Kudos to Pegs for telling Poloncarz to piss off...he'll build a new stadium when the timing is right and when he damn well pleases. There a still a couple of checkpoints to ownership that have to be passed, and that's what they should be focusing on.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                  A retractable dome would be best. If you have the money to burn, and Pegs does, whether it's a waste of money or not is moot.
                  Why would it be best to spend an extra 500 million to put something on a stadium that might be open 4 times a year

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

The tax payers will be paying a good chunk of the money through state and county funds. So it's not moot IMO.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

guess what's going to happen. the pegulas will spend money to revamp the team in the next 18m. then like harborcenter, they will want to have more revenue streams for themselves. that will require a stadium, and if their on field revamp works, the NFL will be happy to provide a loan as it has in the last several stadium builds, and the state will pick up a portion. and the pegulas will put their stamp on it.

personally, i think if they can own the stadium outright, they could deal with bowl games, nhl classic, and other big events. the pegulas seem like big picture people because they have the funding to think big.

i suspect we won't see much about a stadium, but that when it gets to our ears, it will move fast. the nice thing is that they have 8 years. they only exercise the $28MM option in 2020 if they are going to leave erie county high and dry and move to niagara falls. i doubt that's likely, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        Kudos to Pegs for telling Poloncarz to piss off...he'll build a new stadium when the timing is right and when he damn well pleases. There a still a couple of checkpoints to ownership that have to be passed, and that's what they should be focusing on.
                        Poloncarz wants a new stadium? But paid for without taxpayer money, right?
                        Why would it be best to spend an extra 500 million to put something on a stadium that might be open 4 times a year
                        The tax payers will be paying a good chunk of the money through state and county funds. So it's not moot IMO.
                        If other events are held there in good weather months, which I expect they will, it can be opened for them. And also hopefully they'll install a grass field.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                          Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                          • Feb 2013

I have said this a million times here! If a new stadium is built in Buffalo it just won't be just for football, it will be used as the new convention center also. the City has been clamoring for a new convention center since the late Jimmy Griffin was mayor of Buffalo! The convention center NOW is out of date and it's too small even though New York State threw money into it and re-renovated it
                          Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 09-11-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Dude
                            that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
                            • Feb 2005

Domed stadiums don't have enough floor space to attract large conventions.

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Build it and they will come. Such an exciting time to be a fan.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                              X