PDA

View Full Version : Bills Injury Update

swiper
09-11-2014, 05:15 AM
The Buffalo Bills were forced to play in their Week One contest without linebacker Nigel Bradham available. There's a chance they'll have to do without another starting linebacker in Week Two, as well.

Linebacker Keith Rivers was unable to participate in practice when the team took the field on Wednesday. A groin injury caused Rivers to leave, and not return, to Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears. The same injury kept the linebacker off the field to start the week, and was described by head coach Doug Marrone as a “day-to-day” ailment. His status for the team’s upcoming game has yet to be determined.

The Bills only had one other player from their active roster listed as a non-participant on Wednesday. Tight end Lee Smith, who missed all last week and the game with a toe injury, could not get on the field for practice once more. The injury to Smith leaves only Scott Chandler and Chris Gragg as the healthy tight ends on the roster.

Like Rivers, starting free safety Aaron Williams left the Bears game in the second half with an injury. Williams was cited with having concussion-like symptoms immediately after the contest, and then was said to be entered into the NFL’s concussion protocol on Monday.

The safety was able to participate in practice on Wednesday, but only on a limited basis. As part of the concussion protocol, Williams did not speak with the media after practice.

Safety Jonathan Meeks was the only other Bills player that had to miss time on the field Wednesday due to injury. Meeks was limited by a neck injury, just as he was all last week. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore (groin) and wide receiver Sammy Watkins (ribs) were both full participants.

Source: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=426433

ICRockets
09-11-2014, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't mind giving Brown the start on the other side for this game. He had a few miscues in coverage, but overall it wasn't a bad showing for a rookie in game 1 of his career.

Goobylal
09-11-2014, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't mind giving Brown the start on the other side for this game. He had a few miscues in coverage, but overall it wasn't a bad showing for a rookie in game 1 of his career.
I'd play him over Ty Powell.

OpIv37
09-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Bradham is back from suspension so hopefully that will negate the Rivers loss.

With Gilmore back and A Williams and Meeks hurt, Corey Graham may have to play some S.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2014, 08:21 AM

With Gilmore back and A Williams and Meeks hurt, Corey Graham may have to play some S.

Forgot about Bradham. I think he's an upgrade, to be honest. I hope so anyways.

streetkings01
09-11-2014, 09:16 AM

With Gilmore back and A Williams and Meeks hurt, Corey Graham may have to play some S.We have Duke Williams and Searcy........we wont need Graham to play safety at all.

jimmifli
09-11-2014, 10:03 AM

I still want to see Graham at FS and Williams at SS. Nickel was awesome last season at Nickel, and then McGilmore outside.

That gets our best 5 DBs on the field. I think Graham is our best CB right now so it kind of sucks to move him, but Williams was better at SS so I think that's a wash. And we play so much man coverage anyways, our FS is practically speaking a CB on so many plays.

ICRockets
09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I still want to see Graham at FS and Williams at SS. Nickel was awesome last season at Nickel, and then McGilmore outside.

That gets our best 5 DBs on the field. I think Graham is our best CB right now so it kind of sucks to move him, but Williams was better at SS so I think that's a wash. And we play so much man coverage anyways, our FS is practically speaking a CB on so many plays.

I'd argue Searcy is superior to McKelvin. They're similar, but Searcy makes me swear less, historically.

OpIv37
09-11-2014, 10:53 AM
We have Duke Williams and Searcy........we wont need Graham to play safety at all.

Unless one of them gets hurt or tired....

Scumbag College
09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't think having Rivers out and Brown is too much of a drop in talent at LB. I think Brown is going to be a good NFL player, from what I've seen, and the playing time is only going to make him develop faster. Lee Smith is a bigger loss than his numbers show. He's the best blocking TE the Bills have and Miami's front seven looks really solid. A. Williams needs to be in there, although Duke and Searcy have both looked decent, A. Williams has really developed into a pretty good safety after his disastrous CB play.

swiper
09-11-2014, 11:48 AM

I think any way they can keep him on the field... they should.

GreedoII
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Why the heck is Meeks on this roster when you have a decent player like Ladler on the P-squad?? I mean Meeks hasn't done a thing. Is it to save face on a terrible draft choice?

Goobylal
09-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Why the heck is Meeks on this roster when you have a decent player like Ladler on the P-squad?? I mean Meeks hasn't done a thing. Is it to save face on a terrible draft choice?
Meeks was a 5th rounder. And AW is pretty much out? Not a good sign going forward.

jimmifli
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I'd argue Searcy is superior to McKelvin. They're similar, but Searcy makes me swear less, historically.
McKelvin was our best CB last season. The year before he was OK too.

Most of his reputation is left over from being a bone head before that. He's a "playmaker" that can't catch - he jumps routes well, is in perfect position to make plays and then just doesn't do it. Last week he got toasted deep but he was supposed to have deep safety help and never got it ( I don't remember who it was that was late getting over).

I'm not at all impressed with Searcy, he's invisible - fine for a back up - but we need more from a starter.

Goobylal
09-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm betting McK is still suffering the effects of his injury hip surgery and groin injury.

Ed
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Rivers is officially out and is expected to miss next week as well.

Goobylal
09-12-2014, 12:17 PM
AW and Gilmore are probable. Lee Smith doubtful. Looks like Hairston will be the blocking TE again.

stuckincincy
09-12-2014, 12:25 PM
AW and Gilmore are probable. Lee Smith doubtful. Looks like Hairston will be the blocking TE again.

All in all, they are in good shape:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries

3 probables, 4 questionables, no doubtfuls.

ICRockets
09-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm not at all impressed with Searcy, he's invisible - fine for a back up - but we need more from a starter.

I thought Da'Norris Searcy looked miles better last year than he had before, so I want to see if that progression continues. If he's able to evolve like McKelvin has, and Gilmore stays healthy long enough to make similar leaps, we have a very promising secondary.

Add to that Kiko coming back in 2015, I think the future is very bright for the Buffalo Bills on defense.

stuckincincy
09-13-2014, 05:22 AM
Update:

LB K. Rivers listed as OUT vs. MIA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries

Goobylal
09-13-2014, 07:58 AM
No surprise. I heard at least 2 games, and probably more. Hopefully he can return by the Pats game.