PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Gaining Ground as Bills Leader

Woodman
09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Teammates said Manuel's pre-game speech in the locker room before Sunday's NFL season opener against the Chicago Bears helped provide inspiration as the team took the field.
"I think a lot of guys kind of weren't expecting it," Manuel said Wednesday. "They were kind of almost shocked."
So what was the impetus for taking charge?
"It was just a matter of realizing, 'Hey, I'm the quarterback; maybe it is my job to get these guys ready to go,' " said Manuel, who helped the Bills to a 23-20 overtime victory. "Whether that's being up and yelling and screaming and all that kind of stuff, if that's what they need, that's what I'll give them."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2014/09/11/two-bills-drive/15450559/

A good start now let's build on it.

ServoBillieves
09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Good for him to take charge. It's necessary with his position and to have vocal leaders on this team.

Someone will derail the positive in 3...2...1...

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-11-2014, 03:35 PM
'EJ is the worst person ever. i don't cares what he does. i'll always hate him. i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

~various members of this board

coastal
09-11-2014, 03:41 PM
That's a really good sign!

WagonCircler
09-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Good for him to take charge. It's necessary with his position and to have vocal leaders on this team.

Someone will derail the positive in 3...2...1...

Horsehockey.

I don't think I've ever seen one person here criticize EJ personally. There's nothing to dislike.

It's his game. It sucks Trent Edwards' balls.

The King
09-11-2014, 03:48 PM
It's obvious he took not being voted Captain to heart. Although I don't think he should of.

This team is on a massive playoff drought. It's going to take veteran leadership to get to the promised land, and the team voted that way. EJ missed half of a season and is only in his second season. He needs to get behind guys like Freddy and Kyle and continue to learn. If he does he will be a captain.

EJ divides the fan base, but one thing he doesn't lack is effort and heart. Just keep growing and let the chips fall where they may.

RedEyE
09-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Seems like he is progressing well. Most of us understood that he was rough around the edges and would require time and patience in is his development - still does. With that being said, there is a long way to go and the mistakes are going to come that will have the haters coming out in droves.

trapezeus
09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
ej is a guy on his 11th guy. and he's climbing to a.500 record.

nothing to hate on the guy. he may not be the next jim kelly. he may. we just have to see the games. if these little things helps the team win, good for us.

Skooby
09-11-2014, 03:53 PM
If I hadn't read this a few times on here, I'd thank you.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Like I tell my son, actions not words.

Didn't look any different than last year.

sudzy
09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

Let me know when he does that.

Novacane
09-11-2014, 06:50 PM
'EJ is the worst person ever. i don't cares what he does. i'll always hate him. i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

They'd focus on the 10% incomplete

justasportsfan
09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
He has to back up his words on the field. Walk the talk . So far so good. Nice job last Sunday. Now he has to squish the fish since Thads the only one who has.

Fletch
09-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure that anyone has ever questioned his leadership skills, I know that as one of his harshest critics I sure haven't.

But verbal leadership is a lot different than performance leadership.

This is going to be another short-lived QB. I'll give it until the end of October at the outside before 90% of this very forum throws in the towel.

:brace:

The Jokeman
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure that anyone has ever questioned his leadership skills, I know that as one of his harshest critics I sure haven't.

But verbal leadership is a lot different than performance leadership.

This is going to be another short-lived QB. I'll give it until the end of October at the outside before 90% of this very forum throws in the towel.

:brace:

and what happens if at the end of the October we're in position to make the playoffs and EJ is a top 15 NFL QB, would you say he's proven to be good enough or will you cry because he's not in the top 5? Granted if he falls off the wagon for the rest of the season I won't accept it but just asking since the end of October was the deadline you imposed.

BillsOverDolphins
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Win games and we'll follow you. I don't care if you're young--that's no longer an excuse for missing the playoffs in today's NFL. It's as simple as that. WIN

trapezeus
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
EJ - 11th game. gave speech team won. his mistakes were limited, he executed the game plan to a win.

Favre - 10th year, gave some speech after his dad's passing, took the team on his back and played like a man possessed.

i wonder if there is a difference between being a long time vet QB and a relatively new one?

i get that we need to dissect his game and performance. it wasn't a 300+yard performance with 3rd down conversions and huge plays. but the bills didn't seem to game plan for that. to me, if EJ is having these games in week 13 and they are losing AND its common place, i'm not going to say he's doing well.

but for week 1 in his second season, it was good enough and met expectations. He has to continue to get into the best part of the bell curve, but he's not a huge laggard,either.

DynaPaul
09-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Like Marrone posted in the field house, "Efforts don't equal results." He has a lot of proving to do.

better days
09-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Like Marrone posted in the field house, "Efforts don't equal results." He has a lot of proving to do.

Well, I like the results of game one against the Bears.

Game two tomorrow. Can't wait, I expect to like the results of that game as well.

Fletch
09-13-2014, 08:25 AM
and what happens if at the end of the October we're in position to make the playoffs and EJ is a top 15 NFL QB, would you say he's proven to be good enough or will you cry because he's not in the top 5? Granted if he falls off the wagon for the rest of the season I won't accept it but just asking since the end of October was the deadline you imposed.

LOL

Yeah, OK, wake me when that happens.

You know, you guys ride me for saying I don't know, but I do. FSU couldn't get that from him at FSU for four years. Now all of a sudden under Marrone & Hackett, worse coaches, they're going to get it.

There's a difference between being realistic, being somewhat unrealistic yet hopeful, and yet expecting different results after trying the same thing for the umpteenth time.

Put yourself in the latter category. The nonsense that you guys hope for based on mere words is simply astonishing.

I'd say that it's far more likely that Op, myself, coastal, Spiked, and a few others find that the most comedic thing in these forums at the end of October to see your bi-polar posts on the topic. We're really all the same poster as some of you have figured out, but I like to do my part to keep the charade going.

Fletch
09-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Win games and we'll follow you. I don't care if you're young--that's no longer an excuse for missing the playoffs in today's NFL. It's as simple as that. WIN

Exactly right. Don't talk about being a leader, do it on the field, and don't merely do it for one quarter, or a quarter and a half, do it for four quarters and really lead your team, ... on the field, not in the newspapers.

Fletch
09-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Well, I like the results of game one against the Bears.

Game two tomorrow. Can't wait, I expect to like the results of that game as well.

We all like the result, but some of us realize that we can't play like that every week and expect the other team to set us up at their own 7 to help us along.

We also realize that if all of our drives, but that one if you can call that one play for a TD a drive, end up ending with the ball in Manuel's control, then we'll be lucky to win three more games much less 9 more.

better days
09-13-2014, 08:45 AM
We all like the result, but some of us realize that we can't play like that every week and expect the other team to set us up at their own 7 to help us along.

We also realize that if all of our drives, but that one if you can call that one play for a TD a drive, end up ending with the ball in Manuel's control, then we'll be lucky to win three more games much less 9 more.

No two games are alike, even when the same two teams play a second time in a season. That is the beauty of football.

And EJ was responsible for a TD he scored himself on the ground as well as the TD he threw. EJ was also responsible for the drive that resulted in a FG to win the game in OT.

swiper
10-11-2014, 11:26 AM
No two games are alike, even when the same two teams play a second time in a season. That is the beauty of football.

And EJ was responsible for a TD he scored himself on the ground as well as the TD he threw. EJ was also responsible for the drive that resulted in a FG to win the game in OT.

Sage advice from the town idiot.

sudzy
10-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Let me know when he does that.

How some fans had stars in their eyes after one decent game? Four weeks later that band wagon is empty.

better days
10-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Sage advice from better days.

Too bad you are too big of an IDIOT to understand ANYTHING about football.

LMAO at you, even trying to call me an idiot you can't come up with anything that makes me look like one.

You are the IDIOT FOOL.

WagonCircler
10-11-2014, 01:29 PM
LMAO at you, even trying to call me an idiot you can't come up with anything that makes me look like one.

Well, if you look at it from everyone else's perspective, given your blind support of EJ, you really didn't need any help looking stupid.

swiper
10-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, if you look at it from everyone else's perspective, given your blind support of EJ, you really didn't need any help looking stupid.

Months and months of having to listen to his utter foolishness. And, per his usual, he's trying a 180. The Range didn't have such fools, even at it's worst. It's tolerated here.

Mr. Pink
10-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Months and months of having to listen to his utter foolishness. And, per his usual, he's trying a 180. The Range didn't have such fools, even at it's worst. It's tolerated here.

I've learned to stop taking anything Better Days seriously after he said Tim Tebow would have a better career than Peyton Manning. It's good comedy relief though.

Yasgur's Farm
10-11-2014, 05:36 PM
better days/swiper... Name calling needs to be controlled.