PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell's job pays $44 million a year?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-owners-fear-roger-goodell-run-quit-fired-article-1.1937300

That's pretty hefty. I don't know how many CEO's make that much, most of the time those people's pay are tied to stock option kind of stuff that they cash in later on if they do good job. And those guys are mostly workholic (more of a passion type). Other people are of unique talent, e.g. Mick Jagger worth about $280 million personally. I guess Goodell can catch up to Jagger's wealth in easy lifestyle by the time his current contract runs out (2019).

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-12-2014, 09:41 PM
he will get a golden parachute in a few weeks and ride off into the sunset. dude is toast

Mace
09-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, millions are the new thousands in some fields, he's middle class uber rich.

starrymessenger
09-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I want that.

Buffalogic
09-13-2014, 02:26 PM
1.7 million per paycheck.

swiper
09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
More than a million per NFL team? Wow.

DynaPaul
09-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Typical lawyer. Personally I thought he should have been toast after he burned the Spygate tapes and tried to sweep that all under the rug.

Turf
09-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Dear sheep,

What's what the Goodell witch hunt. Is it viral or in vogue? I fail to see what he did wrong. It's easier to prove Rice hit his wife than Goodell saw the tape. What value would there be in his hiding this. There is no money grab in this, the NFL would not have lost revenues if he banned him for a year the first time. Does anyone here think for themselves? Why would the commissioner hide this information, there's nothing in it for him. Personally I think its those that think they are "entitled', that are incredibly jealous of anyone successful.

Blondie
09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
He should pay the cheerleaders with his pocket change :D

feldspar
09-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Dear sheep,

What's what the Goodell witch hunt. Is it viral or in vogue? I fail to see what he did wrong. It's easier to prove Rice hit his wife than Goodell saw the tape. What value would there be in his hiding this. There is no money grab in this, the NFL would not have lost revenues if he banned him for a year the first time. Does anyone here think for themselves? Why would the commissioner hide this information, there's nothing in it for him. Personally I think its those that think they are "entitled', that are incredibly jealous of anyone successful.

I agree on the base level.

Goodell is not going to be fired over this, either. The right thing was done in the long run, anyway. Nobody can prove that Goodell saw the knock-out punch tape previously, can they? Yet they assume he did. Like you say, what would he have to gain from ignoring that footage? Was it worth risking $44 million-per-year to cover up what happened? I highly doubt that. That does not make any sense to me. Ray Rice was the guy that committed the act. Goodell wouldn't stick his neck out for him.

Why aren't people flipping their lids about the Ravens not cutting Rice's ass immediately if this video footage was so readily available?

The tape of Rice dragging his fiance out of the elevator was bad enough to warrant more than a two-game suspension, and he's already admitted that he dropped the ball with that sentence. But, as far as I know, this was an on-going criminal investigation.

Anyway, this is all on Rice. He's the bad guy here.

They let Pacman Jones back in the NFL. Let Ray Lewis stick around. Michael Vick. Ray Rice may very well be done, though...we'll see.

Strongman
09-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Amazing that the NFL is considered to be a non-profit.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-13-2014, 07:37 PM
I'd say he has 44 X 5 million reasons not to quit. It's up to the owners to fire him and get a replacement.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-13-2014, 07:44 PM
I am not against Goodell for Ray Rice, I am against Goodell for how the game of professional football has devolved into something almost as farsical and rigged as WWE. I know, hard hitting defenses cause injury and permanent physical handicaps in many retirees, but there is almost no defense now, the same teams win almost every year, there are way too many commercials, its just well . . . . almost boring.

feldspar
09-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I am not against Goodell for Ray Rice, I am against Goodell for how the game of professional football has devolved into something almost as farsical and rigged as WWE. I know, hard hitting defenses cause injury and permanent physical handicaps in many retirees, but there is almost no defense now, the same teams win almost every year, there are way too many commercials, its just well . . . . almost boring.

I don' think you can blame one guy for all that. You can scapegoat him, but he's not operating in a vacuum. He's just part of what happens. If he's replaced, some other guy will have to play with the same politics. Can't see the NFL being all that much different with a different commissioner.

The NFL isn't that boring if you have NFL Sunday Ticket and can switch between games during commercials or watch the Redzone Channel whenever you want. DVRs can help. Bet on the games too, if you don't want to be bored. Suddenly, you'll really care if the Ravens beat the Steelers, for example. Give you a real chance to have more aggravation in your life too, especially when the officials make BS game-changing calls.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-14-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm not paying 300+ a year for NFL sunday ticket. Sorry

Mercy
09-15-2014, 08:14 AM
I don't think people in general are on a witch hunt. It's just that he's the one who makes the decisions. Makes no sense to give someone a year suspension for using weed and another two weeks for committing a felony.

Some football fans might be on a witch hunt because they dislike him for other reasons.

No one thinks the KO is directly his fault.