PDA

View Full Version : It’s time to live it up, Bills fans: you’ve earned it

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2014, 08:45 PM
All Bills fans should read this. It's fantastic.

And for those of us going tomorrow - live what he said.

Sullivan is right. I can't remember a regular season game with more anticipation than this one. My memory does not cover the entire history of the Bills but it covers a lot of ground.

Read and enjoy. Tomorrow - we celebrate

I can't wait for it

One day last spring, when his battle with cancer was at its most desperate, Jim Kelly gave the Bills players an emotional two-minute talk after practice. He urged them to treasure their experiences and to remember that, in the end, it’s the relationships that stay with you.

“This is what you need to put your arms around,” Kelly said that day. “Make this your team. Make it very special. Realize it, because when it’s all over, the things that you have are your memories.”

Kelly, with his friend and former teammate Thurman Thomas at his side, reminded the players to care about each other and cherish the moments. That’s what sports do for us, after all. More than wins or losses, it’s the accumulation of shared memories that ties people, and communities, together.

When you consider the dramatic confluence of events, it could be the biggest and most anticipated home opener in team history. I’ll defer to people who were on hand for Kelly’s first game in 1986, or for the first home game in the inaugural AFL season in 1960. But it should be one wild afternoon.

Fans still have their heads in the clouds at the news that Terry and Kim Pegula have captured the bid for the franchise, which will ensure it stays in Western New York for many years to come. That alone would be reason enough to inspire a pitched emotional atmosphere at the Ralph.

It is also the first home game since Wilson’s death, and in a newly renovated stadium. Wilson, who was honored in a special event at Shea’s on Friday night, will be honored again in a special ceremony 25 minutes before kickoff.

Now, add in that Kelly recently got the news that he is cancer-free. It’s Alumni Weekend, so many former Bills will be on hand for the occasion. Andre Reed, the newly minted Hall of Famer, will lead the players onto the field.

Oh, and the Bills are 1-0 after an opening upset win at the Bears. Fittingly, they’re taking on their historic rival, Miami, a team Wilson loved beating and insisted on keeping in the same division. The Dolphins also are 1-0 after a surprising win over the Patriots in Week One.

Is that enough drama for you? I imagine the stadium will be electric, the sort of swirling intensity that Darryl Talley always talked about “plugging into.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/its-time-to-live-it-up-bills-fans-youve-earned-it-20140913

ServoBillieves
09-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Let's hope Boobie and Marquise are listening..

YardRat
09-14-2014, 05:50 AM
I don't care what anybody says, a rabid and supportive fan base can help a team win.

It better be LOUD. ALL DAY.

Turf
09-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Might be the best article Sully ever wrote.

swiper
09-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Might be the best article Sully ever wrote.

Here's more Sullivan for you. This is better:

Bills fans should hope that Pegula learned from his mistakes in the NHL, where the Sabres devolved into a laughingstock in the eyes of many NHL insiders, not to mention the worst offensive team in half a century.I vividly recall the day Pegula took over the Sabres and met with our editorial board. He said he wasn’t the sort of businessman who took over a company and made rash decisions. He preferred to sit back, observe the operation for a while and make his own personnel judgments.

At the time, I urged Pegula to bring in a “fresh set of eyes” to evaluate his entire operation, someone without any emotional ties to anyone in a stale, foundering organization.

Pegula brushed it off. He pledged his devotion to Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff and continued the Sabres’ inexorable descent into irrelevance. He held on to Regier, even extending his contract, long after it had become obvious that major changes were needed.

He can’t travel down the same path. This isn’t the oil and gas business. It’s big-time pro sports, where players and circumstances change rapidly from one year to the next, and where owners and fans are increasingly impatient when they don’t see results on the field.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/pegulas-are-in-the-big-time-with-nfl-20140910

WagonCircler
09-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Here's more Sullivan for you. This is better:

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/pegulas-are-in-the-big-time-with-nfl-20140910

Why do you have to to piss in the punch bowl?

Novacane
09-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Swiper Felt Spiked and Coastal are so pissed the Bills are staying in Buffalo. I just laugh when they post anything on the subject.

swiper
09-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Why do you have to to piss in the punch bowl?

Trying to keep my own expectations reasonable. And the Pegula love is way over the top to me. One day at a time. I'm happy the Bills are staying. No question that Terry Pegula was, by far, the best of the known owner options being considered. There. Happy?

swiper
09-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Swiper Felt Spiked and Coastal are so pissed the Bills are staying in Buffalo. I just laugh when they post anything on the subject.

No I didn't. You are confusing me with someone else. I don't care what they think. At all.

WagonCircler
09-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Trying to keep my own expectations reasonable. And the Pegula love is way over the top to me. One day at a time. I'm happy the Bills are staying. No question that Terry Pegula was, by far, the best of the known owner options being considered. There. Happy?

I'm happy to celebrate small victories, rather than brood over imagined losses.

But this is no small victory. This is the Bills staying in Buffalo. This is jackass mulleted faux rock star not stealing our team and moving it to a city full of arrogant *****s.

This is the sword of Damoclese being removed for the foreseeable future. For generations, maybe.

This is real. If you're in denial about it and refuse to enjoy it, that's your right, I suppose (odd as it is), but why piss in everyone else's Wheaties?

I don't get it. But I'll be at the game in a few hours, soaking it all up with my son, knowing that someday he'll be able to share it with his son (or daughter) someday.

And that's all thanks to Terry Pegula.

Enjoy blaming him in advance for whatever imagined grievances that may come. I'm going to enjoy what's real. Today.

JohnnyGold
09-14-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm happy to celebrate small victories, rather than brood over imagined losses.

But this is no small victory. This is the Bills staying in Buffalo. This is jackass mulleted faux rock star not stealing our team and moving it to a city full of arrogant *****s.

This is the sword of Damoclese being removed for the foreseeable future. For generations, maybe.

This is real. If you're in denial about it and refuse to enjoy it, that's your right, I suppose (odd as it is), but why piss in everyone else's Wheaties?

I don't get it. But I'll be at the game in a few hours, soaking it all up with my son, knowing that someday he'll be able to share it with his son (or daughter) someday.

And that's all thanks to Terry Pegula.

Enjoy blaming him in advance for whatever imagined grievances that may come. I'm going to enjoy what's real. Today.

Terrific post, couldn't agree more. Today is a new day in Bills nation. For years there have been thunderclouds on the horizon. Every win that slipped through the teams fingers, every heartbreaking loss, it seemed to fit the narrative of a team that was destined to drive the stake through our heart one final time, by moving to Los Angeles. To wake up today and know that's not the case... man... I just can't imagine being a fan and not enjoying today. Win or lose today, I'm proud to be a Bills fan.