• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

OpIv37's Post Game Review

The stage was set for another epic Buffalo disappointment. So much buzz about Pegula, Kelly being healthy, and the unexpected victory in Chicago last week. And the team set up the inevitable disappointment further by playing well in the first half. We all know the Bills have to get our hopes up so the fall is even harder Sure enough, Miami made better halftime adjustments and came out ready to play in the third quarter. Here comes the collapse....

But then something strange happened. As it turned out, the disappointment WASN'T inevitable. The Bills didn't dominate Miami like they did in the first half, but they made more big plays and fewer mistakes than Miami did and still won the game easily.

Is this the turning point? Did we start the Pegula era, where the team will be defined by rallying and justifying our hopes instead of constantly letting us down? Well, let's not get carried away. But it couldn't have started any better than it did.

Random thoughts:

-The one glaring negative was the red zone offense. Officially it was 1 for 7 on touchdowns, but realistically it was more like 1 for 5 since the last two trips were more about killing clock than truly trying to score. It simply has to improve if this team is going to keep winning.

- in the rare instances where the Dolphins moved the ball, it seemed like it was always right in front of Robey. Not one of his better games.

- Sentrell Henderson was impressive against awake.

- Sammy Watkins- enough said.

-EJ had his moments and his misses. He's doing a good job avoiding big mistakes but also still has accuracy and consistency problems. Missing Watkins in the end zone was terrible.

-late in the first half, I remember thinking "it's been a long time since Spiller has made a big play." Then he made two, which basically saved the game.

-on a related note, excellent performance by S/T.

- the defensive line was dominant.

- I don't understand Marrone's logic on the 4th and 4 late in the first half. He should have left the O out there, tried to draw them offsides, then called timeout if they didn't bite, or intentionally taken the delay of game for extra punting room if they didn't bite. Calling timeout to talk about what to do came off as unprepared.

- overall I thought the coaching was good. The play calling wasn't predictable, and they got the ball into the hands of the weapons (Spiller and Watkins). Also, I'm always critical when the coaches misuse a challenge, so to be fair, I should point out that challenging the Chandler reception was a great use of a challenge.

- 2-0. Didn't see this coming. We've had false positives at this point in the season before, so I'm not sold on the team yet. But I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" category.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: OpIv37's Post Game Review

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The stage was set for another epic Buffalo disappointment.
    I stopped reading right there.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      I stopped reading right there.
      Then you missed out.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Gibby
        • Jun 2006

Actually your post has some very good points OpV.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

Everyone says he missed Watkins but from the end zone view it looked like he was trying to lead Watkins away from corner and Watkins did not anticipate that and did not bend his route. All in all this is probably something they will work as it looked like they were just not on same page that play.

The one nice thing I can say is we are winnif games and we are not playing as well as we could be on off and def. That is a statement usually reserved for good teams. Too early for that especially after the Jauron 5-1 debacle but we should be proud and optimistic at the very least

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

Your opening is so you. Shell-shocked Bills fans.... I bet you were still nervous with a 16-point lead. But, good points, Op.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

One thing I forgot: penalties. I think the numbers were down this week, but the only reason the Dolphins got a TD was because there were 3 on that drive alone. Definitely room for improvement there.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Beebe
                • Aug 2011

NICE!

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

Well put Op. Sadly, I WAS one of those fans that even with the 16 point lead I was still in shock. "They can't blow this, I know that they cannot possibly blow this..." But I kept watching nervously.

As stated, we've seen this before... but I am cautiously optimistic and extremely happy with the outcome and team play the past 2 games.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

If I had a complaint it would bet he offensive pass play calls. I feel like they aren't using Sammy to the best of his ability yet. They should throw more quick slants and short and intermediate routes to him. He's best in space after the catch. I feel like we could eat up teams if we can get the ball to him quickly.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Well put!

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

Nice write up. Pretty much agree with all of it except I'm not sure the Sammy missed TD was on EJ. Not saying it wasn't but it just as well could of been the wrong route run.

Red zone offense has to get better. I think it's a mix of poor execution and bad play calling. I'm getting tired of the read option RB right up the middle. Don't they have any other running plays?

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          One thing I forgot: penalties. I think the numbers were down this week, but the only reason the Dolphins got a TD was because there were 3 on that drive alone. Definitely room for improvement there.
                          Agreed, but that just makes it seem like even more of a blowout. Can you imagine if Buffalo scored 10 points and needed 3 penalties on the lone TD drive that whole game? Flukey more than anything.

Solid writeup. The offense isn't dominant, but it's moving the ball better than I would have expected, especially based on preseason. Kind of reminds me of a year or two ago, when the Jets' first team offense failed to score a TD in preseason, then came out and laid 35+ on us or something ridiculous. Almost that level of surprise for me. Like the way this defense plays.

Hoping this isn't like a Dick Jauron 4-0. The difference right now is that we beat a division opponent.

I'm glad we get San Diego at home. Don't west coast teams typically have trouble playing on the east coast?
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

Dude, when we went up 9-0, nearly 12-0, I was being eaten alive that our "good drives" were being cashed out.

I figured Miami wipes the lead in two second-half possessions and we have no answers on offense.

Then CJ Spiller happened. Probably the best timing for a ST play possible.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Pretty good read.

I was bracing myself for you to unload on how ****ty our 2-0 start was.

Instead you pulled the rug out from under me and upgraded your status from "This team makes me wish I was dead." to "I'm cautiously optimistic."

Tears of joy!
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X