PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward: San Diego at Buffalo

bdutton
09-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Bills lead the division at 2-0 and coming off an impressive, if not steady, performance against a soft Dolphins team.

Chargers are 1-1 coming off an impressive win against a Seattle team widely expected to repeat as SB Champions.

Most impressive about the Chargers win was Rivers targeted star CB Richard Sherman 6 times for 3 completions. While 50% completion rate is normally not great, but against a shutdown corner it was impressive.

Chargers lost star RB Ryan Mathews and is currently Questionable.

Defensively, the Chargers held Lynch to just 36 yards rushing on 6 attempts. This is a benefit of a time of possession stat of 42 minutes to just 18 for Seattle.

Key for the Bills is to put pressure on Rivers. In two games this season Rivers has only been sacked once. I think the Bills have a defensive front that will be able to put that pressure on Rivers. The defense needs to find a way to shutdown Antonio Gates. He burned Seattle for 3 TD's yesterday. He also racked up 81 yards in a loss to a good Arizona team. LB's will need to cover well and get help from a safety on passing downs.

After an emotional win in the home opener I would not be surprised to see the Bills come out flat against the Chargers in what appears to be a rubber band week.

Bills Rushing offense vs Chargers Rush defense: Slight edge goes to the Bills. Bills rushing offense has been great this season but the Chargers rush defense has been up to the challenge holding Seattle and Arizona to 108 and 109 yards respectively.
Bills Passing offense vs Chargers Passing defense: Edge goes to the Chargers here. EJ is efficient but still growing as a passer. Sammy Watkins had a breakout game but was still banged up.
Chargers rushing offense vs Bills Rushing defense: Edge to the Bills. Bills front 4 has been outstanding against the run holding Chicago and Miami to 86 and 80 yards respectively. Chargers RB Ryan Mathews may not play.
Chargers passing offense vs Bills passing defense. Edge Chargers. If the Bills fail to put pressure on Rivers it will be a long day.
Special Teams: Edge here goes to the Bills who have turned in two excellent performances so far this season.

Pick: Bills 26, Chargers 24.

Bills will continue their red zone troubles with only two touchdowns but will be lifted on the leg of Carpenter with 4 field goals. Bills defense will put adequate pressure on Rivers, sacking him twice but giving up 3 passing TD's and one FG and keep the SD rushing to under 100 yards total. Bills special teams will continue to shine.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Chargers are a different time, historically, on the road than they are at home. We witnessed how big the home field is for the Bills on Sunday. That alone, IMO, is worth 7-10 points.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
West coast road teams in the early game slot historically struggle. I hope tha'ts enough to overcome their advantage in the passing game.

gebobs
09-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Chargers are a different time, historically, on the road than they are at home. We witnessed how big the home field is for the Bills on Sunday. That alone, IMO, is worth 7-10 points.

A lot is made in these cases about a west coast team traveling to the Eastern Time Zone. In his career, Rivers is 11-15 in the east. In the past three seasons, he is 6-6.

Rivers is 1-1 at RWS. In '06, Rivers game managed as LT ran roughshod over the Bills and they won going away, 24-21, with a late TD by Price to make it more presentable. The '08 game was the last gasp of the Bills team that got out 5-1.

feldspar
09-15-2014, 11:15 AM
The Bills are currently slight favorites to win this game. The spread is Bills -1.

bdutton
09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
The Bills are currently slight favorites to win this game. The spread is Bills -1.

Thats pretty much right in line with what I feel. I have us as two point favorites which if you erase the 3 point home field advantage puts the Chargers as the slight favorite, all things being equal.

trapezeus
09-16-2014, 12:48 PM
i think bills fans who go to the game have to go with the same excitement they came to the ralph on sunday. fill the stadium and just keep the energy up.

if the bills can get on a team early, the crowd can carry them. and frankly rivers is such a hot head, when a stadium gets in his head, he really can implode. but the same is true in reverse. if he can get hot, he'll smoke a team and taunt them.

BuffaloRedleg
09-16-2014, 12:49 PM
It's crazy how excited I am for us to play hard teams. I actually want to see how we compare. For once I'm not lamenting a difficult schedule, I'm relishing in the opportunity for our guys to prove themselves.

This is fun.

stuckincincy
09-16-2014, 12:58 PM
It's crazy how excited I am for us to play hard teams. I actually want to see how we compare. For once I'm not lamenting a difficult schedule, I'm relishing in the opportunity for our guys to prove themselves.

This is fun.

Very well said.

If they can - early in the schedule - knock off an SD club that is showing chops against worthy opponents, it augers well, with two road games coming against HOU and DET. Both of those clubs not being without talent.

mightysimi
09-16-2014, 01:48 PM
It is my first game at rws. I am pumped! And we haven't been ****ty so that helps!

paladin warrior
09-16-2014, 03:10 PM
The Bills are currently slight favorites to win this game. The spread is Bills -1.:nervous: