PDA

View Full Version : The Jets got hosed

gebobs
09-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Did you guys see this?

With just five minutes remaining and facing a 4th-and-4 from the Packers 36, Geno dropped back and nailed a TD strike to Kerley to tie the game. The refs waved it off saying someone from the Jets called timeout. Ryan looked around and asked who called timeout. Replays showed OC Mornhinweg skipping up the sidelines and calling time which may have gone unnoticed by the refs except DL Sheldon Richardson let one of the officials know.

NFL rules state that timeouts from the sideline can only be called by the head coach. However, Mike Pereira said that last second timeouts like that are usually granted regardless.

And I thank the refs. For the second week in a row, big comebacks have saved my Survivor bacon. Last week was Philly. I'm taking the Pats this week. The Raiders look awful. No way they are in that game for more than 5 minutes.

justasportsfan
09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Good!

feldspar
09-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Good.

The Jets did all they could to contribute to getting hosed, though. These things happen.

And that TD would have only tied the game. The Packers had the momentum at the time...they probably would have won anyway IMO.

Great seeing the Jets blow that huge lead.

bdutton
09-15-2014, 09:45 AM
I had a good laugh at that.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't think they got "hosed". Stupid Morningwood was screaming Timeout. The ref granted it. It's really the NY Jet sideline's fault, and looks good on both Ryan and that ***** Morningwood

FlyingDutchman
09-15-2014, 09:49 AM
It's also tough for the ref to focus on the game (snap coming at any second) and also notice who the person is who is asking for the time out

JohnnyGold
09-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Ref heard someone calling timeout behind him. He was standing right in front of Rex Ryan, assumed it was him.

To be fair, if Rex had seen Marty calling TO, he would have called a TO.

Tough break, but who's to say a corner or a safety didn't see the ref blowing the play dead, and gave up half a step at the line, and made a half hearted effort on the play?

Jets were up 21-3 on the road, that call didn't do them in.

justasportsfan
09-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised their ST coach didn't trip either the refs or Mornhinweg

gebobs
09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Tough break, but who's to say a corner or a safety didn't see the ref blowing the play dead, and gave up half a step at the line, and made a half hearted effort on the play?

Sure. They can't go back once the timeout is signaled by an official. And Pereira pointed out that it's not such an egregious slip of protocol and likely would have been called even if the official only saw Mornhinweg. They got hosed but more of their own doing.

I just wanted to laugh a bit at the Jets and beat my Survivor chest.

mysticsoto
09-15-2014, 11:37 AM
After watching this happen, I can't help but think that they need to address issues like this next year. It got me to thinking that the technology is out there to improve the Ref's ability to do a good job in the game. I mean, I could see in the future the refs all having google glasses with information sprinting down in front of their eyes (time on the clock, etc). It would be relatively simple to have each head coach possess a tablet or something that when pressed, alerts the ref to the time out. The NFL definitely has the money to develop a program like this and I think fans would love that level of technology to be present and used to prevent mistakes like this from occurring. And only when things like what happened to the Jets happen, will any effort get put into advancing the ref's ability to do a good job in the game.

Skooby
09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Who knows if they would of won if they scored that TD, it's not like they were stopping the Pack from going down the field.

swiper
09-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Did you guys see this?

With just five minutes remaining and facing a 4th-and-4 from the Packers 36, Geno dropped back and nailed a TD strike to Kerley to tie the game. The refs waved it off saying someone from the Jets called timeout. Ryan looked around and asked who called timeout. Replays showed OC Mornhinweg skipping up the sidelines and calling time which may have gone unnoticed by the refs except DL Sheldon Richardson let one of the officials know.

NFL rules state that timeouts from the sideline can only be called by the head coach. However, Mike Pereira said that last second timeouts like that are usually granted regardless.

That, of course, is all they have been talking about on NYC sports radio this morning. It happened as you said. The only thing I would add is that once the players come up to the LOS, the refs are instructed not to turn around or otherwise take their eyes off the field. Therefore if they hear someone calling TO they just grant it, assuming it was the HC.

TedMock
09-15-2014, 11:55 AM
NFL Network, this morning, showed a quote from the league office saying the officials did the right thing. There was another play in another game where they acknowledged a mistake, but this one supposedly was not. I don't know all the details that they considered.

swiper
09-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Yes it was the right call. No one to get upset at. Especially Mornhinweg who otherwise that that offense playing much better so far.